WAC Beta v0.1 - Downloads, comments, suggestions

Download and read about WAC Beta v0.1
Waalx
Forum Master
Born in: 1973

I'll check the nails.. must be the same problem as with the cooking fire.

I didn't touch the dungeons unless it's touched by WAC - Overspawn. WAC.esp does place Gargoyles outside of most Forts though. But I didn't modify the skeletons (yet). Find a place with zombie, or goblins. or bandits.

and from the first post (it's being updated often).

- The Oblivion gate that is next to the Sewer exit is just a temporary portal that can lead you to either the Hircine plane, or to Oblivion Random gate 01. to see both, save your game before you enter the gate. that way you can reload, and see the other one. If you close the gate it will stay closed like a real one.
Waalx
Forum Master

Tip:

The title of this thread will change and indicate the last version # of the current release.

Some things are just too good when you are administrator of a forum. You can even change the topic titles at will.
Conker343qc
Enthusiast Swordbarer
Enthusiast Swordbarer

:D lol ok i'll check Hircine plane ! By the way, the abyssal gargoyle and granite gargoyle sound is kinda weird ..... It sounds like it's an ogre in front of you (There something like foot stomps :S ) ... i didn't saw them first and i was really thinkin' they were ogres or something like trolls lol .... Maybe i'm just not used to it :) !
- Agea haelia ne jorane emero laloria...
Krimsyn Kane
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

The sabertooth tigers I'm running into on the way to Leyawiin, all have the correct loot, but the name they display when your crosshair is on them is just "Tiger." I'm assuming it's supposed to be "Sabertooth Tiger." Anyone else notice this?
Waalx
Forum Master

nomenclature error. There's going to be some..of that.

if you read tiger, it's that I didn't change the name.

thanks!
Waalx
Forum Master

Conker343qc wrote::D ...the abyssal gargoyle and granite gargoyle sound is kinda weird ..... It sounds like it's an ogre in front of you (There something like foot stomps :S ) ... i didn't saw them first and i was really thinkin' they were ogres or something like trolls lol .... Maybe i'm just not used to it :) !
I'll check the sounds of the gargoyles feet. Actually they shouldn't have one, but since I base their sound on the Storm Atronach, perhaps I added the foot sound too.

The new sounds I made are quite so-so (well I did some not-bad ones I guess). But... Gloomfrost said he's going to check that! So it's going to be better. I'm in no way a sound technician.
Corepc
Fumbling Sworduser

Hey Waalx

thanks for post on the es forum, I thought I would check here first.

I have started downloading everything and will report back later.
Vacuity
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

I'm having a few, uhh, technical difficulties at the moment...

I installed a new graphics card and PSU, but that seemed to break my onboard LAN. So I installed an old ethernet card I had lying around and that seems to have broken my soundcard... :-(

I did get to play for a short time earlier and was very interested in how you had implemented some of the stuff.

One question/query, I "bumped into" some sharks in Anvil harbour (they gave me a fright), but when they died and floated to the surface they dissapeared. I am guessing this is part of the script you took from AliveWaters? Still, I never liked that bit. I know it stops you finding fish bouncing around on land, but corpses dissapearing like that really annoys me and if the sharks have any goodies to loot then the removal script essentially makes that inaccessable.

I'll get back to you when I have my computer working again (wish me luck),

Vac
Waalx
Forum Master

Vacuity wrote:I'm having a few, uhh, technical difficulties at the moment...

I installed a new graphics card and PSU, but that seemed to break my onboard LAN. So I installed an old ethernet card I had lying around and that seems to have broken my soundcard... :-(

I did get to play for a short time earlier and was very interested in how you had implemented some of the stuff.

One question/query, I "bumped into" some sharks in Anvil harbour (they gave me a fright), but when they died and floated to the surface they dissapeared. I am guessing this is part of the script you took from AliveWaters? Still, I never liked that bit. I know it stops you finding fish bouncing around on land, but corpses dissapearing like that really annoys me and if the sharks have any goodies to loot then the removal script essentially makes that inaccessable.

I'll get back to you when I have my computer working again (wish me luck),

Vac
hey when I started to read this I though my mod had caused your hardware some trouble! arg! what an idea as if a mod could..

Sorry for your technical problems..

As for the Sharks yeah, I know. For now they use the AW script that I hacked a bit to make the shark aggressive toward you instead of afraid like fishes. Hopefully a scripter will come along and work some magic. I would dearly like sharks to swim near the surface like real ones..

However the water pathfinding is very underdone in Oblivion, that may prove difficult. I asked dev-akm a while back and that was the answer. So it will really need magic!
Echonite
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

Waalx wrote:
Echonite wrote:
Before i upgraded my videocard i kept getting lag due to the many sound effects being played by creature feet, I can now say, this mod has caused my computer to whimper just like it did with my old card.
small return on this... but you know for the sound effects it's actually a soundcard that is needed. A new videocard won't do a thing (well, it will do better/faster video for sure! :), but the sound if it's running with your onboard chip...that's the problem.). A decent soundcard is much cheaper than a videocrap though.

and...

I wrote it in the readme in the top. I say it again.

Don't forget to defragment your drive before play. It's a world of difference in speed/stuttering, and that affect anybody who doesn't have an automatic defrag on.

But yeah..the mod is built with performance in mind, I tried to keep the poylycount as low as I could and textures uses are the minimal I can do with the variations. Quiet feet version of WAC could always help though. I'll have to cheech that.
Actually it goes hand in hand. With a weak videocard, it causes your CPU to work harder, giving less reasources twords the sounds, so improving my videocard, took the burdon of videoprocessing off my CPU, allowing it to process moure sounds. So now, Theres so many creatures in any given view, meaning lots of feet sounds, causing the slowdown once again. I know a sound card can improve this greatly, but Last time i tryed to get a sound card working, my computer almost blew up. =)

_echo
Waalx
Forum Master

I'm doing the v0.03 now.

I will upload that in a moment, it change the Sabertooths tigers name as well as a few minor stuff, add two beast that weren't in the lists yet - the Troll female and Troll young. All the other beasts names should be ok now I went through them all.

v0.04 will include WAC - Quiet Feet.esp. I will start with the creatures I know spawn in numbers and that this fix would work best with. That should ease some of the strain.
DarkWind
Chronicler

Got a new rig today. I'll have time to install Oblivion later and I'll test this out. Downloading now.
That's right, that's the truth! Drive 'er straight sideways lad!

VERSION 0.01 -> 0.03
MODS:
OOO 1.33
No Psychic Guard 1.2
Deadly Reflex 4.03
WAC (load last) 0.01
CONGIG: Athlon AMD 4000+ / Geforce 8800 GTS / 2 Giga de RAM

I will keep on updating this post
First impression: awesome
Problems / Remarks:
1) Near Chorrol A Lion got bitten up by 3 otters (you might want to change that)
2) Big problem in the BlackFoot Gobelin Camp
a - video/texture issues (see pictures attached)
b - Game crashed everytime when trying to enter the chief tent
what

3) One last thing
I could not climb up the Outpost, it seems the rope ladders don't work

4) Sprigans are agressive towards your animals (not sure it's what you want)

5) I experience quite a bit of crash...not sure OOO and WAC are very friendly to each other...need to test more
Ok I've tested quite extensively. It does not crash as extensively as before...I replace v 0.01 with V 0.03 and I've defragmented...

6) Animals behaviours are very well done...Lion lying on the Shrines, Deers gazing arround. One word Terrific

7) Some of your monsters behave oddly. Near Bravil 3 Black Giant Something (can't recall the name at the moment will post the name and the picture later) were fighting against eachother...(strange)

8) Also when shooting from a distance (with bow and arrows) most of your Big Monsters (will post the name and location later) will not react. The fighting music would not even engage...Not sure if it's related to their package??? I will test more.

EDIT 19/08/2008

9) Definitely a problem with your Gobelin Camps. I went to clear out two of them and experienced crash 80% of the time when trying to enter the chief tent plus I had those video/texture problem on both of it. I went to the bandit camp near Cheydinhal and did not experience those video/texture problem...So I think it is worst investigating. I am investigating it on my side and provide you with an answer...Keep you updated on this.

10) In the Bandit camp near north of Cheydinhal, you can not enter the chief tent, the connection between exterior and interior does not work or has not been done.

11) Beaver are not Edgehog...Your Beavers are named Edgehog.

12) You need to check the package/faction of your Beaver/Edgehog. Everytime a npc is attacked the Beavers arround will attack the beast that attack the PNJ/Player

Hope it helps. I'll continue updating this thread.
Echonite
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

Is the quiet feet only going to efect specific creatures or everything? The major thing I didnt wat about one of the existing quiet feet mods was it effected everything.

On a side note, ive cleared 3 of the camps. The one to the east of the nebien bay being the hardest so far. A lot og black goblins there, i was out of health potions and my healing spell wasnt cutting it so i had to hang out in the water so they couldnt get me... but the little bastrds got smart and started shooting arrows at me... Luckly i had looted a goblin totem staff (20 point shock damage with 103 uses) and it helped me take care of the buggers.

Also, I experienced a crash near the camp. I was approching it to see my spoils. I don't know if it was related to the mod, ill get back to you on that.

Edit: Crash was unrelated to WAC.
Phitt
Fumbling Sworduser

Did a test run today for an hour or so with the mod loaded. First of all: great work! I loved to see all the different creatures, all with their own unique appearance and most of them with (almost) new meshes even. That alone makes exploring the landscape much more satisfying in my opinion. Not timber wolves and imps all the time. I also loved the large amount of non-aggressive creatures (some of which made me laugh when I saw them, like the bunnies or the roadrunners). The whole placing of spawn points was very well done, always different creatures for different regions (looking forward to visit the regions around Anvil, Bravil and Leyawiin, where I haven't been yet). And not too many creatures for my taste, it just made the world feel more lively without overdoing it.

Now some suggestions/problems I found:

The first goblin camp I visited was 'Blackrock Goblin Camp', north of Chorrol. Again, the whole look of the camps is very well done. There were a few floating crates in that camp though and it seemed to me as if the difficulty was a bit over the top. With my level 28 character, difficulty for testing purposes set to 25% and a few attribute cheats (also for testing, like strength 200, speed 150) I still had a very hard time defeating those goblins. Some of them had a huge amount of health it seemed (needed dozens of blows to bring them down - at that difficulty with my char that's a lot). Not sure wether it just seemed like that (can't remember the weapon I used either), I will test again. But goblins should be goblins imo and not the ultimate warriors of doom. I would also suggest to cut down on the amount of enemies in the camps. The framerate went down pretty quick with ten enemies fighting me and all the camp meshes around. I think a few less would look nice as well while keeping the framerate stable.

Some of the creatures were too fast for my taste. When I met some Terror Birds they began to flee. But at what speed! It looked a bit strange when they ran around in circles at lightspeed. Finally one of them ran so fast over a small slope that it flew ten metres through the air and fell to its death. Same problem with the brown otters. Haven't seen others yet with that speed.

The Lost Souls in the Oblivion realm could be killed with a regular weapon. When they died they made the regular NPC scream (Arghh!), which didn't sound very scary. Maybe set them to ghosts so they can't be hurt at all?

In Hircines Realm the deers type animals were the most aggressive creatures. While a Jaguar just stood there doing nothing, the deer attacked him and me immediately. He didn't even defend himself! Not sure wether that was intended (everything opposite to the regular world?).

Around Vilverin was a lot of action going on. An Oblivion gate with several Daedra, in front of them two beavers and half a dozen of those 'armless black' creatures, the bandits and me. Maybe just a coincidence due to the leveled lists, maybe too many spawn points placed next to each other. I would avoid spawn points very close to (possible) Oblivion gates, it looked a bit off to see the beavers walk around between the Daedra.

Maybe some of what I wrote was just a coincidence that happened in the short time I played, I will do some more testing and report back.
Waalx
Forum Master

MasterAub wrote:VERSION 0.01
MODS:
OOO
No Psychic Guard
Deadly Reflex
WAC (load last)
CONGIG: Athlon AMD 4000+ / Geforce 8800 GTS / 2 Giga de RAM

First impression: awesome
Problems / Remarks:
1) Near Chorrol A Lion got bitten up by 3 otters (you might want to change that)
2) Big problem in the BlackFoot Gobelin Camp
a - video/texture issues (see pictures attached)
b - Game crashed everytime when trying to enter the chief tent
where:

what

3) One last thing
I could not climb up the Outpost, it seems the rope ladders don't work

that's it for now hope it helps
Thanks. that a good report!

It does help a lot!

1) that is an occurrence that I can't likely control. I will check the otters attack damage. But maybe they are like the beavers. Beavers attack no one, but be careful if you attack one :) Otter flee usually, so seeing 3 otters take down a lion..take that as luck on your part, in won't happen every times you play. It's unlikely, but I find it's funny it happened!

2) next time don't bother with the location of the camp, rest assured I know where they are! The name will be enough :)

I went to Blackfoot camp. Here I have no anomaly. And I can enter the chief tent without crashing. I'm running the mod same as you with the WAC.bsa. So maybe someone else can see if they crash there as well entering the Chief tent? Me I don't. I just killed that pig!

From your screen I would say that this look like either a missing normal map, or a wrong weight on the model. I will look at the BlackGoblins Bowhunter gang and see if something's wrong.

I probably didn't got one spawned in this last test, everything was fine..(for me.) they had it coming.

3) yes you will not be able to climb up of all the towers I added. In the end yes (hopefully), but now I still need to figure an infallible way to have the tower guys get back up or down. A simple door system won't do the trick for them (it work for us though we can go up) they always somehow get stuck down and can't get back up or something. Even with subspaces it doesn't work either). You may see this in Sweetwater is you go there coming from the West and the camp hasn't loaded yet. Everytimes I do this my 3 sentries get stuck down in 'THE LOOP', and some even die from it! No kidding! 'THE LOOP' is dangerous stuff.

Echonite wrote:Is the quiet feet only going to efect specific creatures or everything? The major thing I didnt wat about one of the existing quiet feet mods was it effected everything.
No I will only touch the beasts that move in numbers. (that's still many in WAC). It's an esp add-on to the master, so it's very easy to edit and remove (re-give the sounds) to a beast. there are only a few beasts for which I made custom sounds so far.. The main important point of this quiet feet thing is to remove stuff like the Armless, crabs, mices, lizards and small stuff. I removed more than that. But that open to WAC - Quiet Feet Reduced, if what I removed is too much.
Echonite
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

Ok, thats what i was hoping. All the existing quite feet mods make EVERYTHING quiet, and thats what i didnt want.

Also, if its ok by you, I would like to start a thread here for posting stories about adventures and such, as sometimes im just dieing to and i dont want to clog up this thread with that sord of thing.

_echo
Waalx
Forum Master

The first goblin camp I visited was 'Blackrock Goblin Camp', north of Chorrol. Again, the whole look of the camps is very well done. There were a few floating crates in that camp though and it seemed to me as if the difficulty was a bit over the top. With my level 28 character, difficulty for testing purposes set to 25% and a few attribute cheats (also for testing, like strength 200, speed 150) I still had a very hard time defeating those goblins. Some of them had a huge amount of health it seemed (needed dozens of blows to bring them down - at that difficulty with my char that's a lot). Not sure wether it just seemed like that (can't remember the weapon I used either), I will test again. But goblins should be goblins imo and not the ultimate warriors of doom. I would also suggest to cut down on the amount of enemies in the camps. The framerate went down pretty quick with ten enemies fighting me and all the camp meshes around. I think a few less would look nice as well while keeping the framerate stable.
Yes...it's not balanced. This is something that need to be arranged.

However. Did you look at the size of some of those sob's? from the weakest gob to the chief, there is a great difference in height. A chief would be taller than any playable race. In between the weak and the chief, they grow bigger as they are more powerful. I'm not saying they are final though..:) just that the size you see in-game can be deceiving, you can look at a gob at close range and think it's less big than it is (happen with everything with that camera angle). Entering a Goblin Camp should be a challenge, not like entering a small camp with 2 bandits. But I'll check how many spawn I made.

Another reason is that they are un-leveled. so you get what you get. it can be a hard batch or an easy one or a medium one. You can get more archers or more melee. or even more mages (that is dangerous).

this illustrate the size between a weak and a chief, and a Bandit Orc Boss
Some of the creatures were too fast for my taste. When I met some Terror Birds they began to flee. But at what speed! It looked a bit strange when they ran around in circles at lightspeed. Finally one of them ran so fast over a small slope that it flew ten metres through the air and fell to its death. Same problem with the brown otters. Haven't seen others yet with that speed.
I will check the Terror Bird speed. I made them fast so they'd be very hard to catch for a player, maybe too fast. Same for otters, having them move less fast is making them move more like rats. Otters are very fast in nature (well particularly in water and that was the point of their speed so they can swim faster). Maybe some scripting could do the trick of having them ride in the water but be slow on land..

Several creature suffer from the 'fall to death' bug. I can't do nothing about that, you'll see suicidal animals all over when they run and there's a slope. Not to count the 'slide-down' bug, when animals decide to play idle on a slope.
The Lost Souls in the Oblivion realm could be killed with a regular weapon. When they died they made the regular NPC scream (Arghh!), which didn't sound very scary. Maybe set them to ghosts so they can't be hurt at all?
yes I'm sorry about the Lost Soul. It's actually a test thing that isn't even ready, and should be something else. The idea is to make a quite low res mesh of a 'lost soul', to give the daedra and creatures of the oblivion planes something to play with. Hopefully I can manage something that will look cool and easy on CPU power. Technically a player shouldn't be able to interact with them. They are damned. :)
In Hircines Realm the deers type animals were the most aggressive creatures. While a Jaguar just stood there doing nothing, the deer attacked him and me immediately. He didn't even defend himself! Not sure wether that was intended (everything opposite to the regular world?).

Hmm.. did you stop a bit and look at the cervidae and other prey eyes, and don't they glow red!? They are the predators of the Great Hunt of this era! (and that is lore friendly to boot!). (I'm down about this, I thought it would be obvious) :sad:
Around Vilverin was a lot of action going on. An Oblivion gate with several Daedra, in front of them two beavers and half a dozen of those 'armless black' creatures, the bandits and me. Maybe just a coincidence due to the leveled lists, maybe too many spawn points placed next to each other. I would avoid spawn points very close to (possible) Oblivion gates, it looked a bit off to see the beavers walk around between the Daedra.
Yes I need to check on villerin and the area there as it was there I started to spawn the beasts the first time for WAC, and since then I may have added a bit to much around the place, (crabs, armless). On the other hand I already stayed clear of almost all the oblivion gates in the game with my new spawns.

The oblivion gate you saw was it just beside the Sewer exit? that is a test gate. for me at level 0 with the main quest not started I never have a daedra out of it. That gate is not to stay there, I just wanted it close to the sewer for testing the Hircine plane, and oblivion ramdom ones.

thanks for your report man greatly appreciated!

keep 'em coming!
Waalx
Forum Master

Echonite wrote: Also, if its ok by you, I would like to start a thread here for posting stories about adventures and such, as sometimes im just dieing to and i dont want to clog up this thread with that sord of thing.

_echo

adventures? stories?

we have a place here for that.
Behold The Chronicles of Steel

but if it's just about WAC...yeah..you can :)
Echonite
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

Ya, all WAC related... Okie dokie, back to testing and building that smurf village >.<