WAC Beta v0.1 - Downloads, comments, suggestions

Download and read about WAC Beta v0.1
Duke
Fumbling Sworduser
Born in: 1973

Just wanted to leave this message: My mind is BLOWN. This mod is quite honestly the best weapon and creature overhaul I have seen, and I've used most of the more famous ones. Currently, I am using the Cyrodiil Upgrade Overhaul, which is an attempt to bring Oblivion's game world closer to the actual lore and WAC melds PERFECTLY with it. The bandits, heroes and other NPCs have unique armament and armor/clothing and I no longer feel as if I'm speaking to the same person 12 times in a row. The unique weapons and outfits are a great touch as well. If Waalx never does another mod he can rest well knowing he made one heck of an artistic contribution to a good game and helped make it great.
Mr. Swiveller
Fumbling Sworduser

Thank you, Waalx, for crafting this incredibly complex, and feature-rich mod.

A request: could you please make the wolves less aggressive and less resilient as well? My mage is only at level four, and is already chased by packs of wolves. Killing one of them takes 5 hits with a 20-point electric bolt - far beyond what it takes to destroy 'vanilla' creatures at this stage in the game.

I understand that one of the aims of this mod is to make the game a bit more challenging, but, for me, the aggression levels at present are too high.
oogabooga66
Fumbling Sworduser

Figured as much as I have enjoyed finding new creatures in this mod that I should stop in and compliment it.

I don't think I ever was surprised in the game as much as when i first saw a group of greenies....

I was a playing a brand new character, and saw the group, thought"keebler elves?" and wandered over to them. Just when i got distracted watching their walk, i noticed the name greenie mage. I wondered for a split second what that was all about, then they all started tossing lightning at me.....

Any creature thats interesting or creative enough to make you drop your guard and wander over to look at it is a great sign in itself.

great work on the mod, first one that ever got me to pull ooo/mmm out of my load order.
novmbar
Unsteady Sworduser
Born in: 1982

O wow. Looks Like I missed the update, downloading v1 now, is there a changelist somewhere from .5?
Gudjy
Fumbling Sworduser
Born in: 1996

does the overspawn plugin only have conflicts with mods that at creatures to the leveledlist or also with mods that at weapons to the leveldlist

And is the WAC - horses plugin Compatible with slof's horses
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Gudjy wrote:does the overspawn plugin only have conflicts with mods that at creatures to the leveledlist or also with mods that at weapons to the leveldlist

And is the WAC - horses plugin Compatible with slof's horses
Probably both, but you can resolve some of it with Wrye Bash or TES4Edit if you want to go that way. Otherwise you can leave out that plugin, but you'll miss a lot of WAC content in leveled lists and basically what WAC is meant to achieve as an overhaul in it's own right. It's not intended to be compatible with other overhauls, but can be done.

The horses plugin is not compatible with Slof's (as far as I'm aware) as it adds it's own horses and replaces the vanilla ones.

@ novmbar
O wow. Looks Like I missed the update, downloading v1 now, is there a changelist somewhere from .5?
There's not a full current readme and changelog, but you should be able to get enough info from the download page. The Arena has been updated, some creature textures and possibly meshes redone, animations added to various animals, whiskers for most of the felines, and a lot of other stuff. The info will be updated with the next version of WAC.

As far as the animations you'll see a leopard (I think without looking) at the sewer exit. He's friendly and is there at the moment to show the new animations. The cats now use a custom skeleton for this reason.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Pandajuice
Fumbling Sworduser

This overhaul looks and sounds fantastic, but I am a bit wary in just tossing it into my game without a bit of reassurance from you guys. I say that because I just installed Francesco's and got it to work without crashing my game because I just need the creatures of Cyrodiil to be fixed levels as I can't stand the vanilla system of NPCs/creatures that level (and/or appear) with the player.

Does WAC add that same functionality? If not, can it be used together with Frans and if so, how? Sorry for the dumb question, but I couldn't seem to find the answer in the description by myself. I'd prefer to use only one overhaul mod and WAC sounds amazing, but I NEED those fixed leveled lists.
Maigrets
Admin

Pandajuice wrote:This overhaul looks and sounds fantastic, but I am a bit wary in just tossing it into my game without a bit of reassurance from you guys. I say that because I just installed Francesco's and got it to work without crashing my game because I just need the creatures of Cyrodiil to be fixed levels as I can't stand the vanilla system of NPCs/creatures that level (and/or appear) with the player.

Does WAC add that same functionality? If not, can it be used together with Frans and if so, how? Sorry for the dumb question, but I couldn't seem to find the answer in the description by myself. I'd prefer to use only one overhaul mod and WAC sounds amazing, but I NEED those fixed leveled lists.
Since no-one with more expertise has come along and answered your question I'll make an attempt from personal experience :)

WAC is an overhaul in it's own right which means without using TES4Edit or Wrye Bash to make your own changes, it's NOT compatible with other overhauls, including Fran's. I can't say I've seen anyone mention using it with Fran's, but many do use it with OOO and a Bashed Patch, including myself. I have characters with WAC only and a couple with OOO as well, mainly because I miss the static loot and a few other things and I've been using OOO since the first ever release. However, WAC has more than enough content that it's more than sufficient on it's own, and that's my preference these days.

On it's own WAC's enemies, including creatures are not level scaled with you so that awful level scaling is pretty much gone. It's one of the things I can't stand as well, so I understand your pain. :-( You will find you will die almost straight out of the sewers if you're not careful.

Armours and weapons need some balancing but that's something that's to come as the main features are being finished first. WAC can be used with other mods like TIE, I think. I don't use that one so I'm not sure. If you feel like browsing through this thread you'll find hints and tips and info about which mods work with WAC, but you really only need go back to when the latest Beta was released.

One of the greatest features (besides everything else :) ) is the Arena overhaul which is like a real arena of ancient times and there's no more of that "run in, kill something, and leave" scenario. I never bothered much with the Arena until this version came along as it was pointless IMO.

Don't be worried about the Beta tag as a lot of huge mods are still in Beta and work perfectly fine. It just means they are still being added to in most cases. As far as stability goes WAC is extremely stable, doesn't have a heavy load on your system due to heavy scripts and I've never had it crash or glitch. A lot depends on your system though but mine is a few years old now and I used to run FCOM with little problem. If you decide to go ahead and try it, make sure to get the two "fixes" for the current release from this thread. They will be obsolete soon though anyway.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=419

Depending on if you use a female body replacer there are meshes here to make the clothing and armour compatible with HGEC. There's a Robert's male conversion in progress, but not for Robert's female yet. I use HGEC so I'm happy. :)
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37594
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Pandajuice
Fumbling Sworduser

Wow, thank you so much for that extensive information Maigrets. It sounds like I can completely disable Frans and use WAC on its own as it does provide the same sort of functionality (no level scaling, added weapons and armors, etc) so don't have to worry about using them together. Also, your reassurances as to the stability of the mod are appreciated too. I do use HGEC so that's great that there's a conversion for that and other than Fran's, I don't think I use any other mods that might conflict with WAC.

The front page recommends to not use WAC with your main character to play through the game; is that recommendation still relevant to this updated release? You said it's pretty stable, but is there some chance it'll destroy your character or something that prompted them to make that warning?

Also, I just read through OOO's PDF readme and it sounds like a very interesting overhaul as well, and since you mentioned that you use WAC and OOO together, I thought I might give that a try with a little guidance from you. Although, you did say that you now prefer to just use WAC on its own, right? Would it be folly for me to try to use both together?

Thank you again for your advice Maigrets :)
Maigrets
Admin

You could add WAC with an existing character but I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you use a Bashed Patch because of the changes to leveled lists and spawns among other things. It won't destroy your character though even if you do add it to an existing one. You could perhaps make a test character to see if you like it. I use a Save Manager so I can have different profiles and mods setups for each of my characters, but you can also make profiles with Wrye Bash.

If I were you I would try WAC on it's own first and not mix it with OOO just yet. If you did want to go ahead though you MUST use a Bashed Patch so you should read through Wrye Bash's Readme files ( a daunting prospect for new users) or to simplify it a bit this info tells you how to make a BP.
http://sites.google.com/site/oblivionpo ... ashedpatch

You may want to leave out the WAC Overspawn esp if you do this as it will conflict with OOO. It depends on how seriously you play I guess because I've merged it into my Bashed patch without any dramas, but I've been playing the game since release so it doesn't bother me. If you're new to this I would leave it out.

OOO makes a lot of changes to your game and many people don't like it for that reason, but it was my overhaul of choice before WAC came along. Since you've already read the pdf you would see what it does anyway.
Very Important!!...make an omod of OOO before adding it to the game as there's no uninstall for the exe....unless that's changed in recent times as I haven't checked for ages. If you don't do that and want to remove it, it's a long process of individual file removal.
Pandajuice
Fumbling Sworduser

Thanks again for the advice Maigrets. I do use Wrye Bash and a bashed patch so I am fairly familiar with that whole process. Would you be able to walk me through how best to set up the bashed patch for WAC so that I can try it with my existing character? Does WAC have a BAIN ready version so that it can be installed via Wrye Bash?

I'm generally not as hardcore a player as most and have only just started playing Oblivion (getting all the mods I want in place before I really dive into the game) so there are some of the more hardcore aspects of OOO that I would probably leave out. Is the Overspawn the only thing that conflicts with OOO?

Sorry for all the questions, but you don't know how much I appreciate your help and expertise. :)
Bizzy
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

Pandajuice wrote:Wow, thank you so much for that extensive information Maigrets. It sounds like I can completely disable Frans and use WAC on its own as it does provide the same sort of functionality (no level scaling, added weapons and armors, etc) so don't have to worry about using them together. Also, your reassurances as to the stability of the mod are appreciated too. I do use HGEC so that's great that there's a conversion for that and other than Fran's, I don't think I use any other mods that might conflict with WAC.

The front page recommends to not use WAC with your main character to play through the game; is that recommendation still relevant to this updated release? You said it's pretty stable, but is there some chance it'll destroy your character or something that prompted them to make that warning?

Also, I just read through OOO's PDF readme and it sounds like a very interesting overhaul as well, and since you mentioned that you use WAC and OOO together, I thought I might give that a try with a little guidance from you. Although, you did say that you now prefer to just use WAC on its own, right? Would it be folly for me to try to use both together?

Thank you again for your advice Maigrets :)

First sorry for my english.

In my personal opinion, no, WAC alone ist not so good. Why? Because it don't change anything or less on the vanilla balacing and leveling.

In my opinion Frans + WAC works wellt together especially with this patch: shy.jsphr.net/upload/img/ups28238.7z
Maigrets
Admin

First sorry for my english.

In my personal opinion, no, WAC alone ist not so good. Why? Because it don't change anything or less on the vanilla balacing and leveling.

In my opinion Frans + WAC works wellt together especially with this patch: shy.jsphr.net/upload/img/ups28238.7z
That's your opinion and you are entitled to have it. Is that patch in English since it's on a Japanese forum?

NOTE:

From now on any discussion about how to get WAC working with other mods goes in this Sticky thread.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=531

Further posts that are NOT about WAC itself or support for it, will be moved to that thread. Respect that WAC is a mod in it's own right and not a component of other mods. There's been far too much off topic here as it is, which I am also guilty of.

This topic is about WAC and not how to make it work with every other mod in existence.
Cribban
Fumbling Sworduser
Born in: 1986

I salute you my good sir! I've been playing this for a while now, and I'm in awe! Everywhere I turn I find something new, where ever I go I encounter a new kind of creature, who in turn pummels me in the face.

I do however love every second of it. :)
ziitch
Unsteady Sworduser
Born in: 1989

Found a bug - Druids go berserk when you attack a rat in one of the IC districts. I'm guessing that it might have something to do with RGO...
spider
Fumbling Sworduser

I would just like to add my thanks to Alex. This is an amazing mod. Thank you!
tempa
Unsteady Sworduser

WAC does not seem to be working on my Oblivion, no gorilla nor Smilodon. This is a truly impressive mod I would like to enjoy it
xtudo
Fumbling Sworduser
Born in: 1977

Hi Alex!

I'm donwloading the mod right now. It looks very good!

Thanks for creating and sharing it.

Regards!

Xtudo
Generic Monk
Fumbling Sworduser

I really like the additions in this mod but I've noticed that the creatures seem to be incredibly overpowered for some reason. As in a small bear can take on 4 bandits and then kill me too. Coming off FCOM it also seems a little weird that every creature who even glimpses you will make a beeline for your jugular.
crossfirex
Fumbling Sworduser

I am having some errors with your gladiator/arena mod portion. The arena gates do not want to open on their own, so I have to use the "activate" console command. Also, sometimes when I enter the arena door, it simply crashes for no specific reason that I can tell. The only thing I could think of is that I was using ImpeREAL city districts overhaul, however that can't possibly be what's effecting it, because the glitches for me are happening inside the arena, and the districts are only affected on the outside from the mod mentioned.