WAC Beta v0.1 - Downloads, comments, suggestions

Download and read about WAC Beta v0.1
reallybigjohnson
Steady Sworduser

i dont know if wrye bash users would be in the minority. on the bethesda forums pretty much anyone who hangs around the mod forums uses it. early on when teh game was first released it was necessary to use it to get the more popular mods to work together. its also very simple if you follow the instructions. the majority of features in wrye bash are probably never used by the average user. :)
Siegfried
Steady Sworduser

Is waalx ever coming back?

And what is the policy on using/altering the mod?
Krimsyn Kane
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

Siegfried wrote:Is waalx ever coming back?
Hopefully.
Siegfried wrote:And what is the policy on using/altering the mod?
Privately, knock yourself out, publicly without permission; absolutely not, publicly with permission; maybe.
Siegfried
Steady Sworduser

Krimsyn Kane wrote:
Siegfried wrote:And what is the policy on using/altering the mod?
Privately, knock yourself out, publicly without permission; absolutely not, publicly with permission; maybe.
What happens if he doesn't come back though?
Krimsyn Kane
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

Siegfried wrote:What happens if he doesn't come back though?
I have a feeling he will, however, if he never does, then this is where this mod stays.

Without Alex's express permission, absolutely no part of this mod can be uploaded or shared anywhere publicly.

I agree that it would really suck if WAC, in my opinion easily one of the best mods ever created for Oblivion, never gets shared with the general public.

However, that doesn't mean you can't add to it, or change for yourself personally, and if that change is something you really enjoy, and think others might as well, then I don't think there'd be an issue with sharing that here on these forums, like the WAC-OOO plugin, as long as it stays on these forums.
Raleign
Fumbling Sworduser

I'm strongly considering taking the WAC plunge, but there's a few things I want to know first:

1: How badly does WAC conflict with Unique Landscapes?

I know to expect landscape tears, for obvious reasons. I'm also not expecting a compatibility patch to appear at the drop of a hat (WAC is in alpha, after all).

Basically, what I'm wondering is how much trouble (If any) I might run into running WAC with the UL mods?

2: Based on reading the thread, Waalx seems to have disappeared for at least a month. :-( Is this sort of disappearance typical of him? How long should I wait for him to return from his (well deserved, I might add) modding hiatus?
washington
Enthusiast Swordbarer
Enthusiast Swordbarer

Who knows?

While you can't take stuff from WAC, you can make your own plugin that is dependant on WAC. That's what Waalx said.

Just keep in mind that once (or if) WAC gets updated, your plugin may become non-working.
Siegfried
Steady Sworduser

Krimsyn Kane wrote:
I agree that it would really suck if WAC, in my opinion easily one of the best mods ever created for Oblivion, never gets shared with the general public.

However, that doesn't mean you can't add to it, or change for yourself personally, and if that change is something you really enjoy, and think others might as well, then I don't think there'd be an issue with sharing that here on these forums, like the WAC-OOO plugin, as long as it stays on these forums.
That would be perverse if such a great work never came to completion. Someone aught to contact him and offer to help with number crunching/ bug squashing and similar menial tasks. That way he could focus on the good stuff. Having worked on a similar mod when oblivion first came out, I know what a headache it is doing little things like rebalancing weapon damage/weight etc
K1ngDeLaFey
Fumbling Sworduser

Raleign wrote:I'm strongly considering taking the WAC plunge, but there's a few things I want to know first:

Basically, what I'm wondering is how much trouble (If any) I might run into running WAC with the UL mods?

hiatus?
UL mods are a "must have" for me. I use them all and have not experienced any significant problem with WAC. You should give it a try! As a side note, for this new base installation I recently did, I'm not using MMM for the first time ever and have let WAC taking over.

Cheers!
Hellbishop
Initiated Swordwielder
Initiated Swordwielder

Krimsyn Kane wrote:I used to play OOO, and I enjoyed it very much at the time, but now that I've used WAC, I can't imagine going back or trying to combine them.

Out of curiosity to those of you who play them together, not as a criticism at all, but with the amount, variety, and consistent quality of all the creatures added by WAC, doesn't the inclusion of OOO make things seem crowded? Do the various creatures, armors, and weapons of OOO appearing next to WAC ones look odd in the same game together?

Yes there are alot more creatures yet it all comes together well since everywhere one looks there are people being crucified :D aswell as other nice things like prisoners being stuffed in small cages alongside the roads to starve to death and get eaten by crows. Seeing all this death about wouldnt make sense without a larger population.

Also OOO adds visual realism which compliments WAC's own gritty realism. Things like opening chests and barrels, trapped chests, wanted posters etc etc make the world of Tamriel feel very alive and fluid in a sea of violence where the safest place is usually behind the huge stone walls of cities which is something i havent felt since TES 2 DAGGERFALL.

For me this fleshes everything out with a complete pictures. WAC adds more creature and weapon variety and OOO adds more logic to the world.

Thanks for asking Krimsyn Kane 'Rock On!'
JbMcfee
Unsteady Sworduser

Krimsyn Kane wrote:
I have a feeling he will, however, if he never does, then this is where this mod stays.

Without Alex's express permission, absolutely no part of this mod can be uploaded or shared anywhere publicly.

Where can one find the download for the WAC-OOO plugin?
Hellbishop
Initiated Swordwielder
Initiated Swordwielder

JbMcfee wrote:
Krimsyn Kane wrote:

The link is in one of the earlier pages of this thread but here it is to save you the time of looking

http://www.filefront.com/14907189/WAC-OOO.esp

I've been using it since it came out last winter and havent seen anything unbalancing. Except for the crashing out when exiting OBLIVION which happens anyway with most mods and even without though much rarer the WACforOOO is quite stable and a ton of fun. No frustration to be found here :cheese:
JbMcfee
Unsteady Sworduser

Hellbishop wrote:
JbMcfee wrote:
Krimsyn Kane wrote:
The link is in one of the earlier pages of this thread but here it is to save you the time of looking

http://www.filefront.com/14907189/WAC-OOO.esp

I've been using it since it came out last winter and havent seen anything unbalancing. Except for the crashing out when exiting OBLIVION which happens anyway with most mods and even without though much rarer the WACforOOO is quite stable and a ton of fun. No frustration to be found here :cheese:
Excellent! Thanks very much for the link.

I recently did a fresh install of Oblivion with WAC and I really love it, but there are just some things that I miss from OOO (New look of potions, containers opening animations, etc.) so I'm glad someone made this compatibility plugin.
Hellbishop
Initiated Swordwielder
Initiated Swordwielder

JbMcfee wrote: Excellent! Thanks very much for the link.

I recently did a fresh install of Oblivion with WAC and I really love it, but there are just some things that I miss from OOO (New look of potions, containers opening animations, etc.) so I'm glad someone made this compatibility plugin.

Your welcome JbMcfee and that someone who created this amazing compatibility patch is the wondrously highly skilled and generous C. Nial DeMencha for whom we give thanks aplenty for all our joyful moments of magical sword buckling WACforOOO goodness.
JbMcfee
Unsteady Sworduser

Hellbishop wrote:
JbMcfee wrote: Excellent! Thanks very much for the link.

Your welcome JbMcfee and that someone who created this amazing compatibility patch is the wondrously highly skilled and generous C. Nial DeMencha for whom we give thanks aplenty for all our joyful moments of magical sword buckling WACforOOO goodness.
So on the load order for that should it go: OOO files at the top, then WAC files, and WAC-OOO at the bottom?
Hellbishop
Initiated Swordwielder
Initiated Swordwielder

JbMcfee wrote: So on the load order for that should it go: OOO files at the top, then WAC files, and WAC-OOO at the bottom?

Yes. Thats the order i have from reading C. Nial DeMencha's earlier post on this thread.
JbMcfee
Unsteady Sworduser

Hellbishop wrote:
JbMcfee wrote: So on the load order for that should it go: OOO files at the top, then WAC files, and WAC-OOO at the bottom?

Yes. Thats the order i have from reading C. Nial DeMencha's earlier post on this thread.
Right on. It's running perfectly now, these mods are amazing when ran together.
Krimsyn Kane
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

Is OOO modular? I'm intrigued by these opening containers and other immersive aspects, but I wouldn't want to add any creatures or items, I'd prefer all of that to be WAC only.
Artfact
Steady Sworduser

Krimsyn Kane wrote:Is OOO modular? I'm intrigued by these opening containers and other immersive aspects, but I wouldn't want to add any creatures or items, I'd prefer all of that to be WAC only.
Hmm, well, OOO is pretty modular with a full and a light version which can be added to to your content.
But, I don't think creatures and items are optional. It's the actual game changes and features that can be turned off or on.
allot of the info you'll need is on this site:

http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/OOO/OOO_Guide.html

Now,I'm a pretty big OOO fan.
But if it's just the features your after(opening containers, drop lit torches, underwater environments) than a combination of mods would do you good, since those are just adaption or merges from those individual mods.
If you're interested in the 'realism' and immersion changes(detailed factions, naturally acting and variable sized wildlife, very little leveled loot and enemies and the general difficulty leap), you might want to consider taking the extra few critters and items along.
Of course there are a heap of quests and unique items, factions and skills to be found that you only stumble upon by coincidence or dedicated searching which make the whole a much more role playing friendly experience.
Hellbishop
Initiated Swordwielder
Initiated Swordwielder

Krimsyn Kane wrote:Is OOO modular? I'm intrigued by these opening containers and other immersive aspects, but I wouldn't want to add any creatures or items, I'd prefer all of that to be WAC only.

With the WACforOOO.esp most of the visuals will be WAC based while the stats for them will be OOO. So far nothing seems out of place with the creatures and items from either mod. They gel so perfectly together in gameplay and balance it feels like WAC is an extension of sorts to OOO. This is with the full version of OOO eventhough the light version of OOO allows one to pick and choose more thoroughly meaning you could really make WAC the dominant mod while still having the cool immersive effects of opening chests,wanted posters on street buildings,plants that change in appearance once picked etc etc.