WAC Beta v0.1 - Downloads, comments, suggestions

Download and read about WAC Beta v0.1
jhondidfool
Steady Sworduser

DLded :D It's 1:32 in the morning here, so I'm off to bed.
I'll give you a report on my impressions tomorrow morning :)
abroth
Fumbling Sworduser

wow, good job on this!
i had a problem at first with my modded version of the game where alot of the animals were running around as heads=P but i reinstalled a clean version of the game and it works great now=)

a word of advice. do not go with apprentice birthsign with this mod lol. get killed in one shot by any magic users lol
buddah
Fumbling Sworduser

I figured out what I was doing wrong and I am here now. At time I can make the dumbest mistakes.

Micky :sorry:
Waalx
Forum Master
Born in: 1973

hey Micky..

You have nothing to blame yourself for..

The mail you have was partly in my ban list..I must have had a spammer and didn't realized I banned *@msn.com.

And second the profile I made for you is made on a real banned member that never made it in fact. I just erased everything and filled the thing with what you got now..

After I send you a mail saying it was alright, but I had a second thought, went to see and all was good, except I didn't un-ban the previous account!

now it's good!

welcome!

it's me! (or my own fault).
Phitt
Fumbling Sworduser

I've seen the large goblins, but even the small ones were pretty hard to fight. At least I thought so, but I will give it another try with a regular character at regular difficulty doing my best to defeat the ugly bastards.

I'm know next to nothing about lore, I already guessed that in Hircines realm things are a bit different. I noticed the red eyes, but I still couldn't understand why the predators were harmless. They have sharp teeth, lots of muscles and things like that after all. Do they eat grass now? If at all I would have thought that all animals are aggressive so it's more 'fun' hunting them. But if lore says that's the way it is then there is nothing wrong with it of course, although it's a bit odd (just like many things in ES lore are imo).

Did some more testing, this time I visited the blackwood region. Here are my findings:

On the way I met some gargoyles (I think that's what they are called). Since they are quite large and use the imp animations they hover quite high above the ground. That looks a bit strange when they do melee attacks since they are punching and kicking in the air above the player. Maybe you could use the animations from the LCE gargoyles. They adjusted the animations so they fit better for larger creatures (less hovering above the ground). It's a modders resource, so you wouldn't even need to ask for permission. Would also give the player a better look at the mesh you created.

Arriving at a shipwreck I discovered seagulls. They somehow aren't working for me. All they did was flapping a tiny bit with their right wing while moving. Everything else on them was static.

At a lake I was attacked by a crocodile (nice surprise effect in that situation by the way, just like you would expect). I think they are a bit too fast. I know that crocs can be very fast in real life for a short amount of time, but most of the time they move rather slow or at least at medium speed only. I also think the rat attack animation looks a bit off on the crocs. They jumped at me about two metres in the air over and over. Maybe you can use a different anim for these creatures. I haven't looked into it, but it could be enough to replace the default attack anim with a less jumpy power attack anim (if there is any, can't remember).

Finally I discovered a herd of equs horses. I could ride them just like any tame horse. Not sure wether this is intended, but looking at the prices for horses in Oblivion I think it's a bit too much to get quite fast and special looking ones for free. And they don't even run away everytime you dismount like the default horses do!
Waalx
Forum Master

abroth wrote: a word of advice. do not go with apprentice birthsign with this mod lol. get killed in one shot by any magic users lol
that's just not possible, I didn't change nothing other than their clothes! :???: Maybe you have something else running that change mages attributes, but not this. It's cosmetic. The only difference is that they may wear gloves or bracers and leather boots for most. So most of the mage use light armors a bit. And battlemages use body armors Light too I think..
buddah
Fumbling Sworduser

Matters not, I am here now, downloading the files now, going to install them, then defrag and start a new character with no other mods and see what kind of trouble I can get into. My contract where I work runs out at midnight, and I am a strike captain, so I may be a little busy in a few hours, but will make time to play after picket duties are set up and I have done my bit!

Micky :-D-)
Waalx
Forum Master

I've seen the large goblins, but even the small ones were pretty hard to fight. At least I thought so, but I will give it another try with a regular character at regular difficulty doing my best to defeat the ugly bastards.
I survived the goblins camps in test at level 0, but with good weapons. Of course if you just run into the fray..good luck and you better be good for your luck to be. But if you take a couple down from afar, and then you go in with them already reduced in number, it doesn't hurt your framerate (or a lot less), and you still can have a good fight. I'm quite sure a level 40+ would survive a direct attack into a goblin camp, lesser power ask for other means. There's only one Conan.

It's almost impossible to approach a camp and they are all in it. there are always some who wander around...easy first targets. Like don't enter a chief tent unless you know what you're doing...they usually won't come out. They are the biggest and fighting one is in close quarter, as he's going to be too big for his own good, and his own tent by the same occasion. :)

I'm know next to nothing about lore, I already guessed that in Hircines realm things are a bit different. I noticed the red eyes, but I still couldn't understand why the predators were harmless. They have sharp teeth, lots of muscles and things like that after all. Do they eat grass now? If at all I would have thought that all animals are aggressive so it's more 'fun' hunting them. But if lore says that's the way it is then there is nothing wrong with it of course, although it's a bit odd (just like many things in ES lore are imo).
ah but that really is what took my interest. The prey become the predator. I could have chosen the regular way, but the concept of this was way too interesting and would give a very different hunt feeling. Quite an unnerving set-up. (in fact I had to remove some beast as it was too much.) Did you go to the end of the oblivion plane where it's all bleak island with grey grass? I found this to be a most disturbing image sometimes, the weird deer all with evil red eyes, and the grey temperature with grey land and nothing else.

the predators that are big and that don't defend themselves are the other odd side. After a while it make sense. there are neutral species in the hunt too.. the Fears, the Red lions (they didn't agree with Hircine request to play the prey), the Fear King... and I have yet to come out with what will be the real danger in Hircine plane...I know what, I just didn't do it yet.

On the way I met some gargoyles (I think that's what they are called). Since they are quite large and use the imp animations they hover quite high above the ground. That looks a bit strange when they do melee attacks since they are punching and kicking in the air above the player. Maybe you could use the animations from the LCE gargoyles. They adjusted the animations so they fit better for larger creatures (less hovering above the ground). It's a modders resource, so you wouldn't even need to ask for permission. Would also give the player a better look at the mesh you created.
yes and no. Players shouldn't have a better look at them, the meshed are low res and would need better textures at higher resolution since they are big creatures. (I have to do them one day). The thing I want for the gargoyles is that they will not move unless the player is nearby. Another thing to do that I don't really got working. Scripting is not my thing.. I'll check to see the animations though. Could be cool, and since I have six types of Gargoyles, I could split 3 to use the LCE anims for attack melee, and 3 that use magic, and that keep high up in the air like now. for spellcaster the present anim work, and I'll provide them with enough magi to fight from the air...

Arriving at a shipwreck I discovered seagulls. They somehow aren't working for me. All they did was flapping a tiny bit with their right wing while moving. Everything else on them was static.
I need to see that! I think I was trying something else with the Seagull.. maybe I left that on a model that didn't work!
At a lake I was attacked by a crocodile (nice surprise effect in that situation by the way, just like you would expect). I think they are a bit too fast. I know that crocs can be very fast in real life for a short amount of time, but most of the time they move rather slow or at least at medium speed only. I also think the rat attack animation looks a bit off on the crocs. They jumped at me about two metres in the air over and over. Maybe you can use a different anim for these creatures. I haven't looked into it, but it could be enough to replace the default attack anim with a less jumpy power attack anim (if there is any, can't remember).
there's not much in the rats animations. I modified some anims in Blender, but it's very much a guess still importing animations in that, and more of a guess when you export. Well at least for any animations that have curves. Half the anims cycle I would have needed to create something very unique with the beast, I can't open them right in Blender. Maybe it's because of the skeletons that are not exactly all like a biped. I don't have Max. And I'm too lazy to learn it at this point, even if I know I should and I'm due to learn how to function in that interface one day. I already have XSI and Blender shortcuts in my head and I'm cursing because they are not the same. and others..each time I learn some new 3d software I wanna cry. :) But actually the plan is to continue working on that side of WAC later. and yeah I will hack myself a Max copy if I have to, and try to see how it goes.

I agree the crocs does attack a bit weird on this anim though, the white aligator should be off as well. They jab at you very fast, but if they are a bit away from you even running they won't move fast. I switched the walk anim into the run anim for them. If you come upon one at very close range, you get an effect that is a bit worse than if you see them coming from a distance longer than their jump/attack.

For the smaller reptiles like the brown caiman and black caiman, I think it work well like this. It's very panicking to have 3 black caimans jump at your face.. (usually that will happen with the smaller brown) you won't think the anim look off at the moment I think. tell me when you meet a batch of those.

I will check what I can do for the biggest crocs and aligator. Not much hope unless I get to make something new, as I'm sure I already combed the rat anim possibilities.
Finally I discovered a herd of equs horses. I could ride them just like any tame horse. Not sure whether this is intended, but looking at the prices for horses in Oblivion I think it's a bit too much to get quite fast and special looking ones for free. And they don't even run away everytime you dismount like the default horses do!
I need to review the Equs horses. I forgot them. they should run away at least for now. Later what I'd like is that they would let you come close and mount them based on one of your attribute. That's what I would like for many quadrupeds in fact. Zebra, Bongo, GemsBok, ..

Like...

If you're powerful in strenght, you can go to a Red lion and you have a chance he will follow you like a pet until death. If it's one of the biggest cats like a Smilodon he can even become a mount.

If you're good in Intelligence, some monkey, may follow you.. he may even get some clothes on and a hat.

if you're a noble knight with no infamy, an Imperial White Troll..may like you. (go see the Imperial White trolls at the White Tower) (and the midget that follow Hieronemus Lex).

If your infamy is higher than 50, at wayshrines you can go befriend a White Lion

If your infamy is lower than 50, at wayshrines, find an Imperial Man eater.

if...only I could script.
Krimsyn Kane
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

I visited Hircine's realm today, pretty cool stuff, I have to say, being attacked by those red eyed game animals was rather unnerving.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll26 ... 1218941914

I did notice a couple things though, first off I kept coming across floating Gemstock every time I explored the realm.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll26 ... 1218942003

Also, there was an invisible creature called Xiastim that kept killing everything around it.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll26 ... 1218942034

Playing around in the realm of Oblivion is more fun now than ever, the hell hounds are vicious looking, but one creature has taken the cake for me so far, the Xivilai Cherub, I couldn't help myself but to laugh out loud, when it attacked me and I was forced to kill it, I felt terrible looking at that cute little baby of a monster dead on the ground there.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll26 ... 1218942141

I was also thinking, all these creatures have unique loot right? Well I think there's a really fun quest waiting to be made with that, some collector, or alchemist or something, who wants parts from every single species out there, tasking you with collecting that unique loot from all of them. Kind of like a Waalx version of Pokemon, you gotta go out there and "Collect 'em all"
Waalx
Forum Master

I did notice a couple things though, first off I kept coming across floating Gemstock every time I explored the realm.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll26 ... 1218942003
whoah! that's not how I made them.. weird.
Also, there was an invisible creature called Xiastim that kept killing everything around it.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll26 ... 1218942034
hehe..I thought I had grabbed the stuff of Xiastim. I probably forgot something, maybe the texture. it's not a creature that is in the Master I made it with the Oblivion gate esp. Xiastim is a guardian. He's there to help you in the realm if you need him or want to take it easy. He'll lead you to Hircine. (very basic AI that still don't do exactly what I want). I'll dig the problem with this one.
Playing around in the realm of Oblivion is more fun now than ever, the hell hounds are vicious looking, but one creature has taken the cake for me so far, the Xivilai Cherub, I couldn't help myself but to laugh out loud, when it attacked me and I was forced to kill it, I felt terrible looking at that cute little baby of a monster dead on the ground there.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll26 ... 1218942141
the best thing about the oblivion lowlife is that they will still spawn when you're at high level too, since they are only lowlife spawn. you'll get more fierce scamps at a certain level, the true Bull Scamps and Scamps. But there will always be hell hounds, cherubs, red fear and such. Next in Oblivion, I have to implement the Xivilai armies I have made.
I was also thinking, all these creatures have unique loot right? Well I think there's a really fun quest waiting to be made with that, some collector, or alchemist or something, who wants parts from every single species out there, tasking you with collecting that unique loot from all of them. Kind of like a Waalx version of Pokemon, you gotta go out there and "Collect 'em all"

Almost all the beasts have their own loot... with different powers and properties. (chimps have brains, great for magic).

Some creatures already have a predestined loot. It's all in the readme!

-in Hircine plane the beasts all have a Bone Token, collect them and that should keep track of your hunt quota and influence Hircine reaction to you.

- Armless and Lizards venom shall be distilled into potent poisons, but only by poisoners. a quest like the nirnroot, but you have to get the venom and a certain herb for each poisons. And pay the Poisoner.

- Most prey have carcass of meat that shall fetch a very high price if sold to a butcher, like the one in Sweetwater Camp.

All this is only what I want though, it has to be coded. But all is ready for it.
Echonite
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

Is sweetwater supposed to be a neutral place? i got attacked when i attempted to walk in. So i took care of them... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eDHcOGuBbc
Waalx
Forum Master

Echonite wrote:Is sweetwater supposed to be a neutral place? i got attacked when i attempted to walk in. So i took care of them... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eDHcOGuBbc
hehe

Sweetwater is the neautral camp. All friendly. You only killed one of them by the way! I only saw Kurt the ex-Borderwatch guard being caught in lightning.
Echonite
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

Oh well then... I did however manage to kill the watch guard by the bridge >.<
Waalx
Forum Master

A tower by the Imperial Bridge? they are occupied by Imperial Legion. Not aggressive either, if you bring a foe close to their watch they will go down to help you kill it and after that walk back up their towers. Cool to see them resume their post. Attack the bandit on the bridge, bring him close to one of the two towers, the guard will help. More towers will be placed. I didn't make the interior of the towers. yet another thing I have to make.

Same with the White Lions near the wayshrines. You don't attack White lions, they are Imperial beasts, and will also help you if you bring them something evil. Imperial Man-Eaters, and Red Lions those are the dangerous ones. Reds are the worst since the Man-Eaters will flee before the end of a fight.
Echonite
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

i ment the other... really big bridge, with the bandit in the middle >.< I killed one of those guys with the spell from the video.
Waalx
Forum Master

the guys in these towers by both side of the big bridge, yes. they are imperial guards! :) (that the West-side one)
Krimsyn Kane
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

Waalx wrote:If you're powerful in strenght, you can go to a Red lion and you have a chance he will follow you like a pet until death. If it's one of the biggest cats like a Smilodon he can even become a mount.

If you're good in Intelligence, some monkey, may follow you.. he may even get some clothes on and a hat.

if you're a noble knight with no infamy, an Imperial White Troll..may like you. (go see the Imperial White trolls at the White Tower) (and the midget that follow Hieronemus Lex).

If your infamy is higher than 50, at wayshrines you can go befriend a White Lion

I really like this idea!
dewshine
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

Ok, I've downloaded, and I've read the thread and now I shall read the readme... And sometime soon I'll post again.
Nice to see how the testers are doing.
I wonder if this will work OK with Frans... :o

As for your ideas:
If you're powerful in strenght, you can go to a Red lion and you have a chance he will follow you like a pet until death. If it's one of the biggest cats like a Smilodon he can even become a mount.

I think a basic companion type script that checks for player stats would do it... but it might need OBSE.
If you like I'll do some -- scrounging and/or scripting to see how hard it would be to do. Maybe.
Waalx
Forum Master

dewshine wrote:Ok, I've downloaded, and I've read the thread and now I shall read the readme... And sometime soon I'll post again.
Nice to see how the testers are doing.
I wonder if this will work OK with Frans... :o

As for your ideas:

I think a basic companion type script that checks for player stats would do it... but it might need OBSE.
If you like I'll do some -- scrounging and/or scripting to see how hard it would be to do. Maybe.
Please go ahead! I must say though, I would prefer not to have to use OBSE. I agree it' should work with a rather simple script.

tell you what

lets start with the simplest script. if you activate the beast it follow, and if you deactivate it, it stop. That could be useful as a base. After we take case by case stuff and add more restriction if possible.

Having a script that is universal and that I can paste on any beast would be welcome for a start. You'll notice some have something called 'WAC Distance Script' it's what I made to have the creature attack from a certain distance only. I have a lot of AI packages for the beast that would need a check too. Something's not exactly right there.
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

Personally I don't see the fear for OBSE, most people use OBSE nowadays right? Besides it's harmless and can't make your game crash :P
"Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos"

"why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

co-leader TES4 Valenwood