1.7 Beta Update Available on Steam.

A place to discuss anything related to The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim. No spoilers here please.
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

My crashes seem to be limited to dungeons, sometimes as soon as i choose to enter one, sometimes while runing about in one if im lucky to enter without crashing. The only mod i can think of that would directly affect dungeons would be climates of tamrriel and its dungeons & interiors plugun. Does anyone know if this is known to cause issues?
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Gork712 wrote:My crashes seem to be limited to dungeons, sometimes as soon as i choose to enter one, sometimes while runing about in one if im lucky to enter without crashing. The only mod i can think of that would directly affect dungeons would be climates of tamrriel and its dungeons & interiors plugun. Does anyone know if this is known to cause issues?
I don't use that particular mod because it's too intensive for my system, but if it adds sounds it may very well be a cause of crashes. For some reason sounds added by mods in Skyrim can cause crashing problems, for example the Sounds of Skyrim mods. A lot of people including myself had constant crashes when entering new cells with them, even when the author added a "crash fix." It's not his fault it's the game engine.

Climates of Tamriel does sound like a likely culprit since you mention it's dungeons and interiors plugin. That would be where I would start investigating. Maybe it doesn't get along with one of your other mods. Skyrim is very picky compared to Oblivion and finding the cause of problems is harder than it should be, and being a console port doesn't help.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

Ah i use SoS, that may be a cause then. I read somewhere that skyrim has an issue with sound formats of 24 bit, 4800Hz (if this means anything to you) and that setting the sound quality to 16 bit instead seems to solve this. I really like SoS so ill be sad if i have to remove it. :(
Maigrets
Admin

Just be careful if you have SOS Civilization and the Wilds and Dungeons last updates, because Cliffworms has set all SOS files to hidden (on Nexus anyway) because of a severe save game bloat issue caused by the scripts in the latest versions. Removing the mod makes it worse so basically any saves using the updated versions are going to be useless and the only way to keep the saves from bloating until they won't even load is to leave the mod activated. That would defeat the purpose though as the character would soon be unplayable. It's been some time since the mods were hidden so I don't know if a fix has been found yet.

Can't quickly find the main thread, but this explains it.
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/139985 ... of-skyrim/
I read somewhere that skyrim has an issue with sound formats of 24 bit, 4800Hz (if this means anything to you) and that setting the sound quality to 16 bit instead seems to solve this.
Yes, that was an issue early on, but I believe Bethesda fixed that in one of the patches. The option can only be changed in Windows 7 anyway and XP doesn't have the selection option. I have onboard sound (Realtek ALC885 8 channel HD) and have never had sound issues, except with SOS, so it affects some and not others. Plus, I have Windows XP myself.

Some of that issue with the 24bit/16bit sound was also because the voices and some other sounds were so low for some people they were very hard to hear, but also one of the causes of freezing, but with sound continuing, as opposed to other types of freezes and crashes.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Maigrets
Admin

After two weeks of not playing Skyrim I had a long play session tonight and really enjoyed it. I discovered that Bethesda seems to have fixed Barbas as he doesn't push into me all the time now and stays away the same distance as Meeko which is nice. The only thing is he breaks sneak and you're always detected if you keep him with you, so I took him back to his home after completing a couple of dungeons.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Yeah i usually leave him at his home as well, but still it is good to see they fixed Barbas. :)
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

I didn't think it was worth a new topic but there's a Beta 1.8 patch on Steam. I'm not participating but I just read this on the Official forums where Arthmoor says which files are changed. I don't like the sound of the Interface changes as it "might" break SkyUI which would be a disaster.
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1417049-18-in-beta/

So, if you don't have a backup of your game folders I'd suggest doing it just in case for when the patch goes live.