Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Okay i guess i should have done this sooner, but it does not matter now any more does it. :)

If i am not playing Skyrim then i often play KoAR, and despite what some may think about the game, i really like it...so there. :P :)

KoAR is a game that has not the best Graphics, but you can use Post proccessing with it which makes it look better. But to me it does not matter that the game does not have the best of graphics. Here are several screenshots i made of some random moments in game, and the screenshots do not show how it can look at times in game itself. ( Despite not having the best graphics.

Gorhart Village

Random road.

Even though i should be used to it by now, these Venom Spitters still make me jump when they pop up from beneath the ground.

Shjees what a place to make your home.

This Gnome needs some help.

Ah now this is more like it. :twisted:

Castle Yolvan.

Finally...the Codex of Destiny.

Back at the House of Ballads entry bridge.

One of those people you will meet more then once in KoAR.

in the next post i will place a few video links for people to watch, it will give a bit more insight in the game. :)
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

It's certainly pretty and I agree with you. Nice graphics are a bonus but they don't make a game. Some of the best older games wouldn't cut it in today's market, but they did have everything else.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Indeed they did. :)
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

It sure looks good...I just don't really like the concept design of the game, too colorful, too WOW like, too triggered to 15 year old...I am 40!!!
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

MasterAub wrote:It sure looks good...I just don't really like the concept design of the game, too colorful, too WOW like, too triggered to 15 year old...I am 40!!!
Despite of how much i like the game, i do have to agree with you on that.

I was at first using the Post Processing from this game but it made the game even brighter in many places on my computer. So i switched it of, but the game could have benefited more in my opinion if many textures hat been some what darker.

The wanted the game world to look magical, and as such make you want to save it from its destiny by the hands of the Tuatha Deohn. But the they did over do it a bit in my opinion.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

A few more screenies. :)

Untill my current Might / Sorcery Hybrid character i never bothered with blacksmithing, but i am beginning to see the use for it. I was finally able to craft a armour piece that is really useful.

Which changed the stats of my character from this...

To this.

And finally this one in which i helped a grieving woman during this...act of vengeance. ( It helped to reach level 26. :twisted: lol )
Maigrets
Admin

I needed a new game so I bought this game today from Steam for $19.99. It has DLC packs, but I'll get them later.

Of course I started the download at 1:30 am and it took 3 and 1/2hours (9.1GB) so I've only played up until exiting the Well of Souls. I watched a movie while I waited because I wanted to try it straight away so now it's just after 6am. I must say it's pretty good so far. The controls and inventory take some getting used to, but it's early stages yet.

By looking at your screenshots it seems we both have the same race, Varani and my character is also female. Chosen God..War.

More later.... :)
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Hey that is awesome, I think you will like it. :) As for the downloading and installing ... that took a huge amount of time for me as well the first time in Origin. It came out on steam about 2 months after i bought it for Origin. ( Those bastards. :grin: )

Even though it is installed on my pc because it gets installed when I install Origin, i have not played it in a long time. But at least my characters are all still there so I can continue where I left of should want to play it again. :) I do not have the DLC myself but from what i remember from the forums back then they add quit a bit. Also i seem to remember that on the Might tab there is a skill that does not work as intended, i think it was Adrenaline Rush? To be honest there where people who said it was bugged and others mentioned it worked as intended, so i can not be 100% certain. But even if you have taken it and you later notice that it is not working as intended, then you can respec. ( Actually you can do that as often as you want, but it will cost more and more every time. )

Here are links to a forum for the game ... there you can still find information that could be useful. ( Even though they are no longer as active as in the beginning. ) Like World map with enemy levels, which is very handy to know because otherwise your character will be killed quit fast.

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51070/

Although i placed this link on Neoseeker a long time ago by request of some player i will place it here as well. Just in case you are going to do some Smith work. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jrrar ... mithing.7z

EDIT:

Here are a few threads that i either made myself or responded to.

* http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51070/t ... -item-bug/
* http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51070/t ... -this-bug/
* http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51070/t ... #m33673574
* http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51070/t ... #m33641469
* http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51070/t ... #m33575679

EDIT 2:

Check out the widescreen fixer link, if you have the desire for a better FOV in game. Also the Eye candy part is interesting, I tried it out back then and it did seem to work indeed but if I remember correctly it started to slow down the game after about two hours or so for me. ( But that does not mean it might do that for you. )

http://amalur.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Impr ... 0404213633
Maigrets
Admin

Thanks for those links. :) I've read through a couple but they make no sense at the moment...lol. until I play a bit more. I think I only just got past the Tutorial so the real game hasn't started yet. It seems this game is quite involved which I'm sure I will like.

I gather there were patches for this game, but they must be all included in the download now if there are any, as it didn't install any further files. I still had to set up an Origin account though, but I'm hoping I don't need to use it. That's one thing that put me off buying it when it first came out as I had problems with Origin and another game. I also had to input a security code (supplied by Steam) the way you do when you install from disc. Bloody EA. Now wonder everyone hates them. :twisted:

Check out the widescreen fixer link, if you have the desire for a better FOV in game. Also the Eye candy part is interesting, I tried it out back then and it did seem to work indeed but if I remember correctly it started to slow down the game after about two hours or so for me. ( But that does not mean it might do that for you. )
I didn't really notice the narrow FOV but I was just doing a quick run to make sure it worked. I downloaded the Fixer just in case though. I did notice the camera feels a bit strange....can't explain it exactly..lol. It's like looking up is slightly restricted when I'm just running around and I'm forced in an almost straight ahead view. Like I said it's hard to explain. :)

I know I had to lower the mouse sensitivity a LOT because it was so fast and hard to control.

I might look at the Eyecandy option later. I'll probably have the same problem as you but I think the graphics are pretty good actually and not quite as overly bright as I expected.

I'm watching the videos again that you linked previously as well. :)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:Thanks for those links. :) I've read through a couple but they make no sense at the moment...lol. until I play a bit more. I think I only just got past the Tutorial so the real game hasn't started yet. It seems this game is quite involved which I'm sure I will like.

I gather there were patches for this game, but they must be all included in the download now if there are any, as it didn't install any further files. I still had to set up an Origin account though, but I'm hoping I don't need to use it. That's one thing that put me off buying it when it first came out as I had problems with Origin and another game. I also had to input a security code (supplied by Steam) the way you do when you install from disc. Bloody EA. Now wonder everyone hates them. :twisted:
The patches that came out are included indeed. As for EA ... yeah they are the champion of annoying and abusing people and companies.

Maigrets wrote:I didn't really notice the narrow FOV but I was just doing a quick run to make sure it worked. I downloaded the Fixer just in case though. I did notice the camera feels a bit strange....can't explain it exactly..lol. It's like looking up is slightly restricted when I'm just running around and I'm forced in an almost straight ahead view. Like I said it's hard to explain. :)

I know I had to lower the mouse sensitivity a LOT because it was so fast and hard to control.

I might look at the Eyecandy option later. I'll probably have the same problem as you but I think the graphics are pretty good actually and not quite as overly bright as I expected.

I'm watching the videos again that you linked previously as well. :)
I placed the Widescreen fixer because i am unaware what type of monitor you have. When I tried it out and used it for a while my widescreen monitor did not give me the view i wanted ... so this little program helped. But after I got my current monitor i did not need the fixer any more. :) As for the things you can not explain ... it can be some what disorientating I guess, especially during fights. It is quit possible my eyes did not notice that so much as yours?

As for the video's, they are always good to check out for new players. ( Or if people have not played it for a long time. )
Maigrets
Admin

I have a 22" widescreen and it looks OK so far, but I might change the perspective later if I need to.

After watching those videos I'm almost wishing I started as a mage because magic looks awesome, but on this 1st play through I guess I can put points into it if I want. I did read on the Wiki that the game is level capped at 40 but I imagine it takes quite awhile to get there. Also read not to spread skill points too widely and to specialize which is something I tend to have problems with. I want to try everything....lol

I looked up how long to expect the gameplay to be and people say around 70 to 100+ hours without the DLC's so that's encouraging.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I have a 22" widescreen and it looks OK so far, but I might change the perspective later if I need to.
Yeah that is easily done, so testing things with the fixer is not a problem.
Maigrets wrote:After watching those videos I'm almost wishing I started as a mage because magic looks awesome, but on this 1st play through I guess I can put points into it if I want. I did read on the Wiki that the game is level capped at 40 but I imagine it takes quite awhile to get there. Also read not to spread skill points too widely and to specialize which is something I tend to have problems with. I want to try everything....lol
You are correct a pure sorcerer is fun and powerful. :twisted: Here is a video from another player with a Level 34 Pure Sorcerer. ( Sorry to do this to you. :grin: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV-F5wWxOcA

But do not forget that you can make more then one character for the game, and you can make Hybrid builds. Hybrid builds are of course not able to get every ability, but they can be real fun and dangerous as well. I found a 7z file on my Hard drive with a few builds I found back then and the Might/Sorcerer one is the build I use with the female character on the screenshots. The other ones are builds I always wanted to try out but never came to it for whatever reason. There is even a Universal build in there ... but the veteran players always warned not to change to a Universal build until the High levels. They mentioned it could be done, but you character would be weak for a very long time. ( But would be very interesting once you can change to it safely. ) Thank god for the Fateweavers in those cases. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cajja ... t+files.7z
Maigrets wrote:I looked up how long to expect the gameplay to be and people say around 70 to 100+ hours without the DLC's so that's encouraging.
Well according to some of the people involved in making the game back then ... if you try do every quest in game then that time can even be double that. When it comes to levelling ... well I guess it depends on the player. If you try to do everything then I guess it could go fast. But I am certain that with Eitahl I have not done every quest there is so far. She is level 29 at the moment and she is the leader of the House of Ballads ... Truesworn in the Forsworn ( Means i finished the Forsworn Main quest with the good ending. ) and ArchSage of the Mages Guild. This is the Area that I have been through with her so far ...
As for the Skills, i agree that you should not try to put points in all area's. It will make you alrightish so to speak in those area's but you will never be able to master them all. ( As far as i know. ) This is how i have spread the Skill points with Eitahl so far. ( This includes Racial Skill points as well of course. )
Maigrets
Admin

I must say I'm enjoying this game immensely. I've been at it for hours and haven't really progressed very far in the world, so I can already see it's going to be a long campaign. I have leveled a few times and only died once. Had some very close calls though...lol.

Some of the quests so far are fun. I liked the one where I had to help a wolf who had been transformed into a human, and the Maiden's Ring where I had to kill some antelope and lure a troll for the Travelers.

How come your in game map is coloured? Mine is gray. :o When I first got into the open world it was so bright I thought I would end up with eye strain, but after awhile the eye adapts and it looks beautiful to me now.

I'm focusing mainly on stealth with daggers, as well as archery, and sometimes my long sword so far, but I think I will make another character for sorcery at some point in the near future.

My character's name is Isolda which is the default name when you start for her race. I was going to just use this one as a test but I want to keep going now and the name is fine anyway.
Critical on a Rock Troll

Fateshift Mode. Finishing move.

Sprites

Village

By the pond. Don't mind the corpse under the tree...
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I must say I'm enjoying this game immensely. I've been at it for hours and haven't really progressed very far in the world, so I can already see it's going to be a long campaign. I have leveled a few times and only died once. Had some very close calls though...lol.
Glad you are enjoying it, it has a lot of atmosphere in my opinion. :)
Maigrets wrote:Some of the quests so far are fun. I liked the one where I had to help a wolf who had been transformed into a human, and the Maiden's Ring where I had to kill some antelope and lure a troll for the Travelers.
LoL yeah that is a funny quest indeed, you will find quit a few ... odd quests in this game. Get used to Trolls, you will be facing more of them and a more dangerous version as well. :grin:
Maigrets wrote:How come your in game map is coloured? Mine is gray. :o When I first got into the open world it was so bright I thought I would end up with eye strain, but after awhile the eye adapts and it looks beautiful to me now.
As far as i can remember my world map and local map have always been coloured, it is really odd yours is gray? :shock: KoAR is very bright in most places i agree, but you get used to indeed after a while.
Maigrets wrote:I'm focusing mainly on stealth with daggers, as well as archery, and sometimes my long sword so far, but I think I will make another character for sorcery at some point in the near future.

Finesse is a really interesting tree, when i still hat a pure finesse build i also loved to use Daggers. Daggers are so fast in this game and it looks good to, but there where plenty of moments that i switched to Faeblades when facing a large group. I have known quit a few people who dismissed Faeblades and that is of course every ones own choice. But what they kept forgetting is that Faeblades hit more then once in an attack, and the result of that can be quit devastating. With my finesse build I used a Bow to engage a fight, and then if they closed in and if it where only 1 to 3 enemies switch to daggers. When it where 4 or more then i switched to Faeblades.

But unfortunately I made a mistake, because i also hat another character ... one that i did not like ... and when i wanted to remove that character i accedently removed my Finesse build instead. :angry: My own mistake but still.
Maigrets wrote:My character's name is Isolda which is the default name when you start for her race. I was going to just use this one as a test but I want to keep going now and the name is fine anyway.
There is nothing wrong with the name Isolda so why not. Looking at your screenshots i have ask ... how do you like the Fateshift kills. :twisted:
Maigrets
Admin

LoL yeah that is a funny quest indeed, you will find quit a few ... odd quests in this game. Get used to Trolls, you will be facing more of them and a more dangerous version as well. :grin:
Trolls...Humph! No match for me...lol. I've already picked up a quest on the notice board in the Warsworn fortress to get rid of some trolls.
As far as i can remember my world map and local map have always been coloured, it is really odd yours is gray? :shock: KoAR is very bright in most places i agree, but you get used to indeed after a while.
I just had to look up how to fast travel because I missed the instructions when they were on screen and I discovered there's a button at the bottom for World Map so that must be it. (I see it now on your screenshot... :hang: ) It seems I'm in Local Map mode...Duh! I'll check next time I play.

I only wanted to fast travel because I had a quest to go get a "surprise package" which turned out to be a set of armour that I can't use yet due to stats. Shepherd's armour I believe it's called. Perhaps that was originally one of the Pre-order packs and they included it in this edition.
But unfortunately I made a mistake, because i also hat another character ... one that i did not like ... and when i wanted to remove that character i accedently removed my Finesse build instead. :angry: My own mistake but still.
Ouch! That must have hurt. :-(
There is nothing wrong with the name Isolda so why not. Looking at your screenshots i have ask ... how do you like the Fateshift kills. :twisted:
I like it, especially when there are a lot of enemies. It's brutal...lol I also prefer the way it's done so you have to build up power before you can use it.

The game is very atmospheric as you say. Much more fantasy like which is a nice change. Even the common animals like chickens and cows look exotic and different. I'm definitely going to look into getting the DLC's later.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:Trolls...Humph! No match for me...lol. I've already picked up a quest on the notice board in the Warsworn fortress to get rid of some trolls.
Those are the easy ones, the Red ones are tougher.
Maigrets wrote:I just had to look up how to fast travel because I missed the instructions when they were on screen and I discovered there's a button at the bottom for World Map so that must be it. (I see it now on your screenshot... :hang: ) It seems I'm in Local Map mode...Duh! I'll check next time I play.
Hmm in that case it must have been activated for me already.
Maigrets wrote:I only wanted to fast travel because I had a quest to go get a "surprise package" which turned out to be a set of armour that I can't use yet due to stats. Shepherd's armour I believe it's called. Perhaps that was originally one of the Pre-order packs and they included it in this edition.
I am not sure about that, but I do not think it was just for Pre-ordered, I hat that armour as well and I did not Pre-order the game. It was a long time ago that I used that armour so I am not sure any more what the requirements for it where, but i was very quickly able to wear the entire armour?
Maigrets wrote:Ouch! That must have hurt. :-(
I was not happy about no.
Maigrets wrote:I like it, especially when there are a lot of enemies. It's brutal...lol I also prefer the way it's done so you have to build up power before you can use it.
Indeed, they are great fun to use and the build up adds a cool moment to with every thing slowing down. :)
Maigrets wrote:The game is very atmospheric as you say. Much more fantasy like which is a nice change. Even the common animals like chickens and cows look exotic and different. I'm definitely going to look into getting the DLC's later.
KoAR is a great and welcome change in that manner, quit a few games can be quit dark/gritty. ( Nothing wrong with that but still. )
Maigrets
Admin

I am not sure about that, but I do not think it was just for Pre-ordered, I hat that armour as well and I did not Pre-order the game. It was a long time ago that I used that armour so I am not sure any more what the requirements for it where, but i was very quickly able to wear the entire armour?
I discovered it a matched set which gives a lot of bonuses since I can wear it now. It's a bit overpowered though since it has a regenerate health function, although it is very small, but still noticeable. I just wondered if it was a DLC thing because it had a quest to go and get it.
KoAR is a great and welcome change in that manner, quit a few games can be quit dark/gritty. ( Nothing wrong with that but still. )
I like dark and gritty, but something like this is a nice change. I like that it's not just pretty for the sake of it with no substance, but has an underlying menace and interesting quests. Some quests may seem like quick fetch quests at first, but turn out to be a bit more involved...also good.

The only thing I wish they did better is the Menus, especially the Inventory, but you get used to it. There are games with worse....lol

I got the Fae Blades and they are very good indeed, :happy: very fast and deadly. I also crafted a long sword that has fire damage and that is effective as well... for the levels that I'm fighting I guess. It helps when you open up new moves, which are pretty awesome.

As usual in rpg's I'm having inventory management problems. :grin: I don't want to sell stuff that seems like it would be useful, or as in some cases where I had to destroy some things to take items from chests etc. When I was looking up something I found out I can get a house fairly soon if I get on with the Main Quest, so that should help. The house apparently has a mirror where you can change your appearance and some other interesting features.

Another concern I have is that EA may in the future take down the servers, or they may go down for some other reason, since even although I'm using Steam I still have to login to EA every time I play. ;-(( Bloody stupid having to have an extra check besides Steam to play one game.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I discovered it a matched set which gives a lot of bonuses since I can wear it now. It's a bit overpowered though since it has a regenerate health function, although it is very small, but still noticeable. I just wondered if it was a DLC thing because it had a quest to go and get it.
Yeah the quest for getting that armour in Gorhart is one of the very first quest you get I believe. It is a bit strong but it saves you long enough from having to use/craft or buy new and better armour. :) ( But eventually you will have to replace it. )

Maigrets wrote:I like dark and gritty, but something like this is a nice change. I like that it's not just pretty for the sake of it with no substance, but has an underlying menace and interesting quests. Some quests may seem like quick fetch quests at first, but turn out to be a bit more involved...also good.
I like dark and gritty most times as well. And I agree ... the world looks all colourful and magical but every where you go you find stories of strange things happening due to the Tuatha invasion.
Maigrets wrote:The only thing I wish they did better is the Menus, especially the Inventory, but you get used to it. There are games with worse....lol
I agree, they could have done better with the menus.
Maigrets wrote:I got the Fae Blades and they are very good indeed, :happy: very fast and deadly. I also crafted a long sword that has fire damage and that is effective as well... for the levels that I'm fighting I guess. It helps when you open up new moves, which are pretty awesome.
I hat a feeling you would like Faeblades. :grin: In this game you get the feeling that you really deserved the new moves and other abilities once you can pick them. ( At least that is how I think about it. )
Maigrets wrote:As usual in rpg's I'm having inventory management problems. :grin: I don't want to sell stuff that seems like it would be useful, or as in some cases where I had to destroy some things to take items from chests etc. When I was looking up something I found out I can get a house fairly soon if I get on with the Main Quest, so that should help. The house apparently has a mirror where you can change your appearance and some other interesting features.
At one time you will find a small village in spider infested woods, and after doing some quests there you can get a house there. You will also have a storage chest in there so try to keep those things you really want to keep for a while, and then sell the rest to Nanne in Gorhart. Keep doing this for the rest of the game, because after you finish her quest "Recipe for Trouble" she will pay you 25% extra for goods you sell to her. Also you can indeed improve your house, but it will cost you. :)
Maigrets wrote:Another concern I have is that EA may in the future take down the servers, or they may go down for some other reason, since even although I'm using Steam I still have to login to EA every time I play. ;-(( Bloody stupid having to have an extra check besides Steam to play one game.
That is a concern of mine as well, but should they do so in the future then I believe that we will not be able to do anything against it. ( Unfortunately. ) EA are annoying fools, they seem to do what they want.
Maigrets
Admin

I hat a feeling you would like Faeblades. :grin: In this game you get the feeling that you really deserved the new moves and other abilities once you can pick them. ( At least that is how I think about it. )
Well, I'm going to say it.... so far in this game I'm enjoying it so much more than Skyrim which I can only play so heavily modded it's almost unrecognizable to the vanilla game. In KOAR the NPC's are interesting, the combat is excellent, even fetch quests have an extra flair to them, and most importantly, it runs smoothly, only has loading screens entering new locations which are almost instant, and it has never crashed....yet.

It's quite sad the developers went of of business because they did a great job with KOAR.
At one time you will find a small village in spider infested woods, and after doing some quests there you can get a house there. You will also have a storage chest in there so try to keep those things you really want to keep for a while, and then sell the rest to Nanne in Gorhart. Keep doing this for the rest of the game, because after you finish her quest "Recipe for Trouble" she will pay you 25% extra for goods you sell to her. Also you can indeed improve your house, but it will cost you.
I've done all that and got the house, as well as paid for the extras. It sure takes the pressure off collecting so much stuff. I didn't know that about Nanne, but I've done her quest. Nice tip, thanks. :)

Those damn spiders scare the heck out of me very time they spring out of the ground, and now I have to take on "The Widow." I assume this is going to be a boss fight so I'm not sure whether to leave it for a bit ore try it now. Only one way to find out I guess.

It's really easy to get lost, but that's half the fun, and I've found some good gear by just roaming around and other stuff I can beak down to craft more...lol.