Book 2 - Orc

Discussion about the history of the blades, as told by Waalx, the Elhazan's and the Vocha's.
Waalx
Forum Master
Born in: 1973

Vocha wrote:
Waalx wrote:so ye want more don't ye? We think ye do...

Lo them rest o' them book.

Them wood sword's them oldest Orc blades. its survived up till present days, cuz ther weapons o' ritual passage. Them orcs had ter do they, as its wos them warrior initiation ter be able ter do one.
Somehow thi custom survived them tribal ages, arnd even modern orcs o' present days will need ter do one, ter be considered an real warrior by hist peers. One great legend wos known about them wood blades...what wos its...ah yeah! thast right Wood, its wos thast one. (Wood is rather fond o' theses wood swords....go figure, Yer not meant fer each other We speached himst once, them part mineral, arnd yer only an overgrown hard veggy! Next thing Me remember o' thast conversation wos waking up with an big bump on mine head.)

them other two, them base cleavers, are from one family. But Me think ye knew that don't ye?
I'm not sure I'm understanding you right here, but you want me to write the last two stories in the book right away?

One being the story about the Wood Sword and how it is used as a rite of passage?

And another about the Huruk and the Meyer Cleaver from one blacksmith family?

:)
thast right.

them legend o' them wood sword ist so tragic, Wood ist getting wet as an newly felled tree eatch time We speach its, arnd its take my months ter get himst dry again afters. So yer better not expect my to speach it fer ye.

arnd yer right about them cleavers, thast what We speached.
Vocha
Chronicler

Ok! That's awesome, I was hoping I would get the chance to write about one sword only in an entire story! :)

And I already have a few excellent ideas about the family that made the two cleavers.

Now, I won't be able to write too much tomorrow, as I have some stuff I have to take care of (namely my girlfriend), so I won't be able to write more than one story at best. But you'll have both of them by the weekend waalx :)

But what about the last sword in the Orc module, the Brokenhead Longsword, will you be writing about that one? :) If so, I'm looking forward to reading both you and Elhazan's new works!

Oh! And I swung by your website the other day, and damn! I had no idea you were an artist! I mean, I know it takes some skill when modding for Oblivion and all, but the artwork you have posted there is exquisite, I'm impressed. Don't take this the wrong way, but when talking to you, you just don't seem like the brilliant artist type you know, but that's how wrong one can be. I especially love the one with the eye and the black background.

Oh another thing, just a little detail, about the story of the Wood Sword. Is it only male Orcs that make a Wood Sword as a rite of passage? Or is it females as well, because considering that Orcs are famous for their respect and indifference among the sexes I just had to ask.
Waalx
Forum Master

my website is from 2003..I really need to delete many of that old crap and make a new one with all the new stuff I have that isn't shown there...time time time = no time.

I don't know what you say about me not appearing artistic in my way of 'speaching'..I'm not an artist that try to talk through his own arse, if that's what you mean (cause I can't stand this kind of pedant attitude), but I always was into art since I was born. Never wanted to do anything else.

yes I will write the story for the BrokenHead. it's in fact my favorite one in Orc.

and take your time for these stories, nothing is in a hurry here. I just told you what to do this fast, cause yesterday you were the one who said I wasn't giving you work to do fast enough...so my ancestor from another world took it upon himstself to tell you something more about the book...

:)
Vocha
Chronicler

Well I didn't really mean anything by saying I didn't think you were an artist, but I certainly know what a great artist you are now.

I will be looking forward to reading about the Brokenhead Longsword then :)

Well, actually the way I think about it, I'm already behind schedule. After all, the Orc module is already been released to the community.
Waalx
Forum Master

thast not important. the modules I release are in fact just a preview of what it will be in the end. Nothing is 'late' nor anyone behind anything as no one get paid.

this morning I had another idea that will most probably will make dev akm and drdm76 cringe again as this would mean more work..but this time it's about the way I would like to see the stories implemented in RealSwords.

I will talk about it later when the time come.
Vocha
Chronicler

Even so, I have a very strong urge to be on top of the situation. Being late... Is a concept I have, let's just say issues with. So even if you say I'm not, I will be working fast either way, that way I have more time to edit my texts and look for faults/errors which will save me time later :)

It's good you are brainstorming as well, like I said a while ago, I have faith the RealSwords concept will turn out to be a mod unlike any other.

But this will be my last post/PM for today, I need to dream now. Will talk to you tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Later.
Elhazan
Editor/Chronicler

Nicely done! Poor big guy, though. I like how he’s pretty much the embodiment of the ostracized that Malacath identifies with so much. I think it would be entirely possible that he’s Malacath’s son…but I’ll leave that decision up to you!

I’ll comb through it again, once you do the changes you’ve already mentioned, to give a suggestion or two. Keep up the awesome work!
Vocha
Chronicler

Well, my original thoughts on Malachi, was that he was simply a mentally and physically disabled Orc, with strong emotional issues due to his brutal upbringing. And because of all that he continuously craved for being better than everything and everyone, being perfect, and never truly cared about anything or anyone else.

Then I added the hints to that Malacath was his father, and because Malachi never appreciated any of the gifts Malacath had given to him he was infuriated (dealing with the Deadroth never ends well you know), sort of like a "the lord giveth and the lord taketh" dialogue you know. The Daedra being all-powerful and all.

And finally I added the fact that Malacath actually takes pity on Malachi when he takes his own life, and takes him to his realm Ashpit where "To this day, Malachi floats in an eternal storm of ash, forever beautiful, forever perfect." he finally becomes perfect, and is free of suffering and all his problems.

It is actually a very sad story, with many hidden meanings of beauty and happiness. It all depends on who is reading it and the way that person interprets it :)
Vocha
Chronicler

Ok, so there was obviously a change of plans according me writing a text and the intro for Chronicles II before Friday, since it's Monday now, and what do you know, I haven't posted anything since Thursday.

I made a promise to myself when I signed on to this project, to never have to excuse being late, and it looks like I'm going to have to break it already.

I have a good reason I assure you, she's called my girlfriend, but that doesn't mean I'm not sorry for not having delivered in time.

So anyway, the new text is called "Ritual Legend" and it's about the Wood Sword and how it is used as a rite of passage.

I have taken a whole new course in this one, both in that it's alot shorter and (thanks to Elhazan) I'm now testing out writing with more sword technical goodness :)

Also the Intro follows, but I'm not at all satisfied with that one, so please give me some pointers!

Criticism is welcome :)
Vocha
Chronicler

In this world of ours there are many mysteries and curiosities, some are identical to aba malatu, others can be solved by simply reading a book, or listening to the whispers of the winds.
In all my travels across Tamriel, I have learned to understand that even the sweetest of forgotten legends and tales of great heroes and weaponry can not compare to just stopping, and listening to the gilstening sound of the water for but a second. This is such a story.

Just as the Baar Dau hovers over the city of Vivec, every citizen knowing that one day, should they lose their faith it might come crashing down upon them. A young Orc must one day face his fear, that his world might collapse should he not be able to master his rite of passage.

A restless adolescent Orc may be able to plunge a jagged knife with all his might hilt deep into an enraged wereboar without even flinching, or toss himself in the way of danger so he might save those he love seemingly by instinct. But there is nothing as intimidating for an immature Orc than his ritual of ascension to manhood. The Orcs are born with a physique of a bear, and a courage to match, and due to their great esteem among equals, respect amongst the sexes and their reverence towards their elders, there is not much that can put the wiggles into a sturdy Orc so to speak.

Not even when a young male approaches the female he has lusted for since he first saw her, is there much doubt nor apprehension in his mind. A youthful Orc can stand still for many an hour waiting for the right time to strike a deer with his hunting dagger, but the time he spends carving the piece of a tree that will eventually become the proof of his devotion and vigor towards his escalating strength and determination may seem eternal and insufferable.

Splinters throughout his fingers, and with the golden brown sprig of wooden glory in his hands, the now even more anxious juvenile carries it towards the chamber where he will spend his next six days of solitude and concentration.

The focus of his angst, the creation of a Wood Sword.

Since the Orcs began gathering in tribes before the incidents of Daggerfall, and when they were hunted by men and mer as beasts, when the time comes for a young male Orc, he must spend six days alone carving and forging his Wood Sword, scorching the wood, merging it with metal through his passion and white hot fire.

The wood may come from any tree, from the Ironwood tree deep in the forests of Skyrim to the high palm trees of Elsweyr, the important thing is the design, and the truth of mind the Orc puts into its making. The entirety of the sword is one piece of wood, the tang, pummel and fuller are all the same lifeline that once ran through the branch of a tree. If the Orc should sliver the fuller or the point too much when carving it, that lifeline is lost the wood becomes brittle and his ascension into manhood is considered foiled by his peers.

Another important factor is the scriptures often put on its fuller or on the pommel. Some carve the names of their loved ones, or the name of the woman that occupies a separate piece of their heart. Some write words of admiration towards their heroes or elders, and some write praise to the gods or daedra they worship.

This is an example of the scripture on a Wood Sword obviously dedicated to a Daedra; " MY SPIRIT AND FLESH MY HONOR IS YOURS"

A special intricate process when regarding the Wood Sword is adding its "thorns", the wood in itself has no edge, and the cutting power of the Wood Sword is determined by these "thorns" that are melted into holes carved in the side of the fuller, formed as they harden and then tempered.
The "thorns" do not necessarily have to be thorns as in the sharp thorns that protect branches and the stilk of many plants. They can have many shapes and do not even have to interlock as to make a full edge, in fact, most Wood Swords have "thorns" that are separate and make up a jagged edge to the fuller.

The grip is usually simply carved into the wood, making a naturally tight fit depending on the carvers hand and specifications, another favourite for the grip is boar skin, often with the fur still in place allowing for a soft grip but still providing a non-slippery surface.

Now, the creation of such swords is prominent to the Orcs that strive to be respected by their elders, still some smiths are known to carve and forge basic versions of such blades, however, should an adolescent Orc buy such a "copy" instead of making his own, he will be found out, and he will be cast out from his society and lose the reverence of all his equals.

Many an Orc have been shamed by either failing to carve the Wood Sword, or neglecting to create it all together. This is the reason so many Orc hearts thump an extra time for each second during this trying time in his attempt to ascend to manhood.

The Wood Sword is not essentially created for combat, but if you ever encounter a young Orc armed with his Wood Sword, take my advice and do not stand his way.

Today I have written in the light of Secunda, crossing the path of The Serpent, it is fortunate I remembered to rub Nightshade on my shoulder yesterday, or The Serpent would surely have reached down and bit me.
Vocha
Chronicler

This is an example of the scripture on a Wood Sword obviously dedicated to a Daedra; " MY SPIRIT AND FLESH MY HONOR IS YOURS"
The words in CAPS was written in Daedric font, but the forum doesn't support it.
Vocha
Chronicler

Chronicles II - Orc

The Orcs of Orsinium have had a troubled past to be sure, but now it seems they will have their own Imperial sanctioned province, and they are thriving. If not respected they are surely accepted by the majority of modern society. The harshness of conflict they have survived has left a great scar upon their legacy, but it is a scar of knowledge and surperior durability. The Orcs are considered the most talented soldiers of Tamriel, and in their company I feel strenght like I feel nowhere else, or is that just the side affect of their firm odor.

As blacksmiths the Orcs have a unique way of the anvil, they create sturdy blades comparable only to the seasteel of the Argonians, with fearsome edges that can carve through the hide of a Dreugh without difficulty. They often forge single-edged weapons with strength equal to the mountainside of the Wrothgarian Mountains. Yes, if the blades of the Khajiit is the hilt of blacksmithing, then the Orc blades are surely the spine.

By chance the Orcs are also brilliant tattoo artists, who would know I would willingly let someone singe symbols into my delicate skin? If anything they are a welcoming people, albeit they take some time to get comfortable around you, once they do, they are faithful for life.
Vocha
Chronicler

Once I've gotten some replies on these two, I will start editing the three texts and the intro I'v written until they are void of all those little typo's and faults, at least in my eyes. Then I'll leave them to you Elhazan and write the last remaining text in Chronicles II - Orc.
Vocha
Chronicler

I've now recieved many pointers and great advice (plus a revelation which saved me from much future embarrasment) from Elhazan. Let my editing begin! Expect a post with all texts in a not to distant future :)

On a sidenote, for those that are interested I recently posted a topic on the lore section of Bethesda's forums concerning the theory of "Malachi" from my second text. It seems that it is in fact legit :)

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... pic=713980
Vocha
Chronicler

The Ayleid Ghost has spoken, it seems the "last" edits will have to wait. I will need to rewrite the Ritual Legend text to add my special brew of Vochaness (more story) after all. I can't say I'm dissapointed, I love writing with a lot of 'sazz', but it was fun while it lasted :)
Waalx
Forum Master

Here's the first part of Gorhak the Half-Orc story. I will write the second part of it later, maybe over the week-end. this will be the last book in the Orc Chronicles. and the only story in Orc, that wasn't written by Vocha.

Gorhak the Half-Orc

The Story of a Broken Head.

Part I

This story here I tell, is the making of a jewel unlike others.

I was lost. Rare it was that I lost myself anywhere on Nirn, and let me tell you - I was enjoying it, immensely.

My travel had led me three days ago to The Last Home, a shabby place you can’t even call a village, the kind of place that is at the end of civilized land, the end of the road, the last stop before the wilderness. Of course it’s as the saying goes, cause this wilderness always have more intelligent life or monsters that consider themselves civilized, so that civilized border can be quite pesky as we never really know where it really is..

I had heard of the place in my travels as it was also rumored to be the last blacksmith this far South. I was a little taken aback though when I realized that it wasn’t a forge that made weapons, but rather one that only take care of horses hoofs once in a while. So I took advantage of the other mercantile aspect of the place, and ordered a hot meal and some spiced wine.

I sat down nearby the fire, it was a good fire.

In that inn there was that old orc matron, she eyed me as soon as I entered the room and as I took off my hat I noticed how she was looking at me from the dark corner where she was seated. Her staring was so intense, the yellow of her eyes where bulging out of their wrinkled sockets in an alarming and so charming way. I smiled at her, bowing politely and extended my hand as I introduced myself. She threw her chair closer and I started to smell a peculiar odor, old cheese and stale ale. She told me she had heard of me before, in a voice that sounded like she had wind caught in her throat. She was croaking and spitting on me profusely, and I was really starting to enjoy this fine damsel…when she said to me:

-Green Wanderer hey? I hear you are searching for people that can forge right?

In all my years of wandering the world, if there was something that could get my utmost interest, it was when I was hearing that there was someone I should see. Because when a person is telling me about someone else in this way, it usually meant the person he was referring to me was good, maybe out of ordinary, out-of-ordinary-good…

Her rasping ensued, and she told me of a man who came to this far end of the world as well, but this passed over two decades ago. He was a ranger, and was barely able to stand by himself when he arrived in this same inn.

Korgol Bad-Thumb was and is still the owner of The Last Home. It’s probably due to his bad thumb from where he took his nickname that much is obvious, but this is also what never made him a real smith. His efforts in that field remained few and apart from a few kitchen knives and horseshoes, he never attempted to forge anything else (it is true that his cooking is far better than the wares I was eating it with).

Korgol had a daughter, Kaga, that was rumored to be as beautiful as can be (for an orc). Kaga was also the one who took on herself to have the forge going and regardless of the fact she never had a good teacher, the old lady told me she had a disposition to it.

So that mortally wounded ranger, who came to the inn twenty years ago in a very bad shape, was put in the care of Kaga, and it was her constant dedication to the sick man that finally brought him back to life in a few weeks. After a short stay and deep thanks to Korgol and Kaga, the nameless ranger took off and disappeared in the wilderness, never to be seen in theses parts again.

As the following months passed, it became obvious to Korgol that the ‘deep thanks’ the ranger had given to his daughter where indeed deep. Kaga the orc was pregnant of a half-human bastard. An infant born of two different races will never be accepted as an equal by any of his parents races. And she knew it. She knew also that to give birth to this baby, she would most probably die herself, as it is known that this kind of pregnancy usually destroy the mother at birth.

And so, as her unnatural son was born in incredibly hard labors, Kaga the orc went away.

Korgol Bad-Thumb never liked the bastard child, yet he raised him, unable to end this life that came from his beloved daughter. But it was obvious to the child that his grand-father was in fact, hating him.

He named him Gorhak, and his name soon became spoken as a jest by any who passed by the Last Home. Gorhak wasn’t a happy child, he had no friend, and a grand-father that will laugh with the others and never defend him. He saw many travelers who invariably took the job of laughing of him as well..(this is not what the old orc matron told me, but rather what I picked-up much after).

But she told me part the story of Gorhak youth, and finally how one day he disappeared from the small community. Yet she said that it was him I should seek out if I wanted to see ‘someone who can forge right’. In the last year he was around the place, he became the smith of The Last Home, and - most probably out of rage and in need to prove he was worth something - produced a few very well-made blades that passerby where all buying as he made them. Since he left, and haven’t been seen in a long while, none of these blades are available anymore.

Yet the old brown thing of a lady told me she ‘felt’ he was still around somewhere, and maybe somewhere not far. I like feelings like this, they remind me of nothing I should consider as proof - yet they hold certainty and a great promise of wisdom.…it all make sense when it doesn't, as the Dwemers say.

Heated and excited by this story, I woke-up at dawn the next day and charged into the wilderness in search of the Half-Orc boy. Three days later I was in a position I rarely find myself in, I was lost.

Part II
Vocha
Chronicler

I liked it, especially the part with the "Orc matron", she has depth. Well done :) Looking forward to part 2. One thing though.
Waalx wrote:Kaga the orc was pregnant of a half-human bastard. An infant born of two different races will never be accepted as an equal by any of his parents races.
The term "Human" is non-existant in Tamriel, although ironically enough the term "humanely" is. You should replace it with whatever race he is also part of. Half-Imperial, half-Redguard etc.

You could also substitute "human" for man, or mer. Depending on the race of the father :)
Vocha
Chronicler

I started working on "Cleavers of Destiny" yesterday, and I'm writing the rest today.

I could have written the whole text yesterday, but I went out. I just woke up, and its definately a morning after, I'm quite hung-over but that won't influence my writing I assure you :)

This is a question just for Waalx, do you want the story to have a happy ending? 'Cause so far all my stories have ended very badly, of course I have always incorporated some semi-happiness into the story itself and the ending. But I've never done a 'happy ending' per say.

Also, anything else before I wrap it up?

You'll have it by this evening at the latest.
Waalx
Forum Master

hey you'll get your chance to write 1 happy ending or 11 you know with what we still have to do..

so I say whatever suit your present feeling :)

you might wanna check out the secret thread..lot of new info

I think you will like what you read there...hehe
Vocha
Chronicler

Yes I am aware of that, it's just that I figured it'd be nice with at least one happy ending in the Orc Chronicle :)

I'll check it out now!