Recommended Mods

Post mods you have found and recommend, are working on or have released. Also get mod help here.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Maigrets wrote:COT works fine as long as you load any modules after Tropical Skyrim since COT is an esm, although I have removed it now myself to see if there are any differences. I can't see any actually so there doesn't seem to be any point in having both. Make sure to have Tropical Skyrim last or as close to last as possible in load order to see all the changes. I did remove SFO before starting my new character because I'm pretty sure that isn't compatible with all the new flora etc.

Re the heavy jungle areas again...I'm pretty sure they are better now since the meshes and collision were updated...or it's my imagination. :) Soolie has mentioned another update soon with some modular things, so it can only get better.

I have seen Prides of Skyrim mentioned before but never got around to checking it out. Downloading. The lions look amazing. Thanks for the link.
Well i did not want to take any chances with the weather system so i removed CoT out of precaution, but i did not know they where similar. As for loading Tropical Skyrim last, yeah i saw you mentioning that in your screenshot thread so i did that as well. :) The only mod that i load after Tropical Skyrim is Walburgs map mod and of course the Bashed patch. If i did not do that then Walburgs paper map version becomes all messed up when i open the map menu.

As for the heavy jungle around Riverwood, and on the way to Helgen...well it is still thick and FPS heavy for me. But along the way i have disabled a lot of them to make it better playable. How that will play out in the long run remains to be seen. I have yet to experience a Sandstorm in this new version, but i will test that out today and see if at least that has become survivable for my poor computer. :)

And your welcome, but be carefull...them Lions are powerfull...and never alone. :grin:
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Gekko64
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

some tips for tropical skyrim FPS, I managed to get it working reasonably well even in the grassy foggy Morthal area which is the most intensive:

1) reduce grass view distance, I'm sure you did this already though ;) I've lowered mine down to 3 from 5, it helps.
2) make grass more sparse with the imingrasssize .ini setting, check the Skyrim Flora Overhaul page for details. I've got it at 40 instead of the default 20, it helps.
3) disable shadows on grass! maybe you have already, it makes a huge difference. look for bshadowsongrass in skyrimprefs.ini
4) disable shadows on trees, this is also in skyrimprefs.ini and it makes a big difference in heavily forested areas

Hialgoboost is great, attk power loader is also pretty sweet ( recommend lite version )

for the record, I'm running 720p at high details and medium shadows with these tweaks: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19632 , the Morthal swamps are still a bit choppy with all that grass, but at least bearable.

also check out Seasons of Skyrim - Springtime Overhaul for a different, less overkill snow remover ;)

@Maigrets: Modblivion is still a hell of a game... it's sad that it performs so damn poorly compared to Skyrim though. heavily modded Skyrim with HD textures everywhere runs nice and stable even under pressure ( big fights with many NPCs ) , Oblivion gets damn choppy as soon as more than a handful of NPCs show up simultaneously :/
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Gekko64 wrote:some tips for tropical skyrim FPS, I managed to get it working reasonably well even in the grassy foggy Morthal area which is the most intensive:

1) reduce grass view distance, I'm sure you did this already though ;) I've lowered mine down to 3 from 5, it helps.
2) make grass more sparse with the imingrasssize .ini setting, check the Skyrim Flora Overhaul page for details. I've got it at 40 instead of the default 20, it helps.
3) disable shadows on grass! maybe you have already, it makes a huge difference. look for bshadowsongrass in skyrimprefs.ini
4) disable shadows on trees, this is also in skyrimprefs.ini and it makes a big difference in heavily forested areas

Hialgoboost is great, attk power loader is also pretty sweet ( recommend lite version )

for the record, I'm running 720p at high details and medium shadows with these tweaks: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19632 , the Morthal swamps are still a bit choppy with all that grass, but at least bearable.

also check out Seasons of Skyrim - Springtime Overhaul for a different, less overkill snow remover ;)

@Maigrets: Modblivion is still a hell of a game... it's sad that it performs so damn poorly compared to Skyrim though. heavily modded Skyrim with HD textures everywhere runs nice and stable even under pressure ( big fights with many NPCs ) , Oblivion gets damn choppy as soon as more than a handful of NPCs show up simultaneously :/
I already did points 1 and 2, and i just set the grass shadows to 0, but deactivating the tree shadows would that be the ini setting bTreesReceiveShadows? Because if it is then i already have it set to 0?

As for Hialgoboost...well for some odd reason it actually makes my game slower instead of better. And for ATTK power loader...i do not know, there have been some discussions on the Beth forums about mods like that, whether they where usefull or not. ( Or if it was just a to small of a benefit to the game. ) But i will take a look at INSS Improved New Skyrim Shadows for Low-Range PC and the springtime mod.

Thanks for the tips Gekko64. :)
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Gekko64
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

yep, bTreesReceiveShadows=0 is what you want. the grass shadows give huge lag, you should notice a decent improvement after disabling them :)

hialgoboost could make it run slower, yeah. I guess you've got a good CPU and a weak GPU?

ATTK is pretty nice, it's essentially similar to Gamebooster et similia but it's made specifically for Skyrim so it should work better. users report improved stability and performance, I've been using it and it does seem to help a bit.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Gekko64 wrote:yep, bTreesReceiveShadows=0 is what you want. the grass shadows give huge lag, you should notice a decent improvement after disabling them :)
Thanks for confirming that Gekko64
Gekko64 wrote:hialgoboost could make it run slower, yeah. I guess you've got a good CPU and a weak GPU?
Yeah i have a Nvidia Geforce G100, when i bought that video card it was mentioned to be a great card. But what is good today is i guess prehistoric 1 or 2 months later in the computer world.
Gekko64 wrote:ATTK is pretty nice, it's essentially similar to Gamebooster et similia but it's made specifically for Skyrim so it should work better. users report improved stability and performance, I've been using it and it does seem to help a bit.
Well i will take a look at it on Nexus but i am cautious, we will see. :)
Gekko64
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

not sure how much of a difference it makes on a decent rig, but on my old laptop Gamebooster DID allow me to keep playing a civ4 game that would crash if I tried to load it without it, so I owe one to this kind of utilities :)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Well i did download the light version, as you suggested. It does not install anything but the exe file so easily removed if i want to. I will test it out this evening. :)
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Small, but ever more essential mod now I'm using Tropical Skyrim because I never know where I am anymore without always opening the map...lol.
Point The way. More road signs by Arthmoor.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33393/
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Gekko64
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

I've added it as soon as it was released, but I'm afraid some of the signs will end up with trees on top of them :)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Then just use "disable" and then "markfordelete" on those trees. :)

Personally i am not using that mod from Arthmoor, i use several of his mods just not this one.

EDIT:

But i did install this one yesterday. :)

Screenshot Assist
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Lmao I was looking at a clip on youtube and there i found a link to this Mod. :grin:

Dovahbear Companion

It is not that i am going to install now but even just for making that the author deserves a ImageImage
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Not that i will be using it with my current character, but it certainly looks like it could be fun. :)

Constructable Soul Gem Turrets
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:Not that i will be using it with my current character, but it certainly looks like it could be fun. :)

I don't think I'll try it with my current setup either, but I could think of a lot of hilarious uses for these. :-D-)

I tried this mod with varying degrees of frustration, at least in the first part which is underwater and a wrong move sees you reloading.....probably a lot. I had a Water Breathing spell so that wasn't a problem, but the puzzle element is unforgiving so if you get it wrong there's no retry, just reload and without hints to let you know if you got it right or wrong except that you can't progress, that gets a bit tedious. That's my only complaint since the mod does what a lot of people want, me included, and that's to make you think and gives a good challenge.

It's reward is armour which I probably won't use as it's heavy and not really my style. The author is unlikely to release a light version due to the armour itself being heavily scripted and enchanted.

Anyway, for a good dungeon run with well written puzzles and a couple of nice cut scenes you might like to give this a try.
Aesir Armour.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35094

Another mod I'm partway through at the moment is "Much Ado About Snow Elves." I'm really enjoying it so far and it also has it's challenges. I almost died a few times to poison and since in vanilla poison does nothing but take away a few HP, I had a challenge to stay alive. There's a lot of thinking and searching and good voice work in this mod as well.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16455

AND the mod I've been waiting for since Skyrim came out...lol....
Dogs of Skyrim.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35008
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:
Fessels wrote:Not that i will be using it with my current character, but it certainly looks like it could be fun. :)

I don't think I'll try it with my current setup either, but I could think of a lot of hilarious uses for these. :-D-)
Yeah it has a lot of potential. :twisted:
Maigrets wrote:I tried this mod with varying degrees of frustration, at least in the first part which is underwater and a wrong move sees you reloading.....probably a lot. I had a Water Breathing spell so that wasn't a problem, but the puzzle element is unforgiving so if you get it wrong there's no retry, just reload and without hints to let you know if you got it right or wrong except that you can't progress, that gets a bit tedious. That's my only complaint since the mod does what a lot of people want, me included, and that's to make you think and gives a good challenge.

It's reward is armour which I probably won't use as it's heavy and not really my style. The author is unlikely to release a light version due to the armour itself being heavily scripted and enchanted.

Anyway, for a good dungeon run with well written puzzles and a couple of nice cut scenes you might like to give this a try.
Aesir Armour.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35094

Another mod I'm partway through at the moment is "Much Ado About Snow Elves." I'm really enjoying it so far and it also has it's challenges. I almost died a few times to poison and since in vanilla poison does nothing but take away a few HP, I had a challenge to stay alive. There's a lot of thinking and searching and good voice work in this mod as well.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16455

AND the mod I've been waiting for since Skyrim came out...lol....
Dogs of Skyrim.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35008

* The Aesir armour certainly looks very well made and i did bookmark it, but to me it looks like an armour that looks better on a male character due to its bulkiness?

* The quest mod does indeed look very interesting. I downloaded the quest version, but i will again wait and see what happens with The Hanging Gardens first. I got Nydaoni up to level 24 at the moment so it should not take to long now to find out if that quest mod works for me. If it does not work then i will either install Wyrmstooth or Much Ado About Snow Elves. ( I will decide which one if/when i need to. :) )

* The Dog mod certainly fits you, and i certainly bookmarked it. I might try it out. Not that i am looking to adopt a stray dog, but now that i see that mod i actually think that i am getting sick of only seeing the old and boring vanilla dog race. ( Well boring now. :) )
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote: * The Aesir armour certainly looks very well made and i did bookmark it, but to me it looks like an armour that looks better on a male character due to its bulkiness?
Yes. It's highly customizable with lots of options and the base armour is the vanilla Iron set so it does end up bulky, although a barbarian type of female character would work. It's also all pre-enchanted and I would prefer to do that myself if I want it.
* The quest mod does indeed look very interesting. I downloaded the quest version, but i will again wait and see what happens with The Hanging Gardens first. I got Nydaoni up to level 24 at the moment so it should not take to long now to find out if that quest mod works for me. If it does not work then i will either install Wyrmstooth or Much Ado About Snow Elves. ( I will decide which one if/when i need to. :) )
I enjoyed Wyrmstooth and it's not complete yet as the author is still adding more quests and content to the island. I just finished Much Ado About Snow Elves and I thought it was extremely good. Very imaginative and well thought out quests. The rewards are nice as well. I intend to play both of these with my next character.
* The Dog mod certainly fits you, and i certainly bookmarked it. I might try it out. Not that i am looking to adopt a stray dog, but now that i see that mod i actually think that i am getting sick of only seeing the old and boring vanilla dog race. ( Well boring now. :) )
:grin: I love seeing more life in the cities, canine or humanoid. I had to download the mod that stops everyone saying "Stupid Dog" all the time though.
Fortunately, for me (or more likely them), my two followers Vorstag and Jenassa always say "Good Dog" to my canine companions. Now we need real cats, but not miniature sabre cats.
Maigrets
Admin

Book Covers Skyrim.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35399

I haven't seen them in game yet but here's a Youtube video showing them. It's things like this that make the difference between bland vanilla and beautiful.
Youtube has changed the way it shares links since it changed format. :Iobject: So just use the page link from the address bar of your browser and add the [youtube]videolink[/youtube] as usual. Everyone else probably knew this of course, but I only watch them and rarely link them.

Here's another mod I've tried which I quite like.
Dragons Shout With Voice
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35286

I've only heard Alduin use it at the start of the game (since he's the only dragon I've met with my new character) and it sounded excellent. It's just sound files so can be easily removed if necessary. Someone commented about CTD's when Alduin shouted, but it works for me so far. There's another mod that does a similar thing but adds other things and has some bugs I believe.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

It is back on the Nexus with a cleaned version. :)

Monster Mod

It is supposed to be version 12 with only legal content, and will be maintained by Ironman5000.
Gekko64
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

great modder, I'm eagerly waiting for Monster Wars v6 :)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Gekko64 wrote:great modder, I'm eagerly waiting for Monster Wars v6 :)
He certainly is, and Monster Wars with Monster Mod is a great combination. I might try that combo again one day. :)
Maigrets
Admin

I'm currently using version 10 which I think is the last one before it was removed. I'll download the cleaned version in a few days when I get my next download allowance. I'm close to the limit atm.