Skyrim Realswords Project!

This has it's own category. Do not post anything unrelated or off topic here.
Jamez820
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

deleted
Jamez820
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

deleted
WizardOfAtlantis
Steady Sworduser
Born in: 1971

These fit right in. :-D-) Thanks!

So far, I've seen a good distribution among the Stormcloaks at the beginning of the game, with the Nordic Bearded Battle Axe (worn), Norland (worn) and Gotland (worn, 2h) mixed into their usual iron gear at the initial escape from Helgen Keep. I picked up one of each on my way out among all the other usual loot.

They look great in-game. I really like the lighter wood of the Nordic Bearded Battle Axe handle. It's nice to see that light color and the grain. It makes it stand out as something special.

The Gotland worn (2h) I found was a little short in the handle for the character (the bottom hand was effectively over pommel) but you know, that's all right. Viking swords were at times notoriously short in the handle and gripped with the pommel in the hand, poking out through the fingers, so it's all good.

These three are nice and lively in-hand. I'm liking the quickness of the Bearded axe, too.

Found a Nordic Bow (old) and Nordic Broadheads. The light wood color of the arrow shafts is great. The bow looks wonderful, too, the only problem is that the arrow is too short in third person (this is a vanilla issue as well, solved by Proper Length Arrows mod which wouldn't apply here, though), and the draw point of the string is too low in respect to where the arrow shaft is. Here's a pic.

Now I'm heading into the Barrow... :happy:
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Well since everyone else is posting their findings here I may as well continue instead of continuing to use PM.

Besides what I've already said, Ulfric and the other loyal Jarl's all wear the blades. I found arrrows on a few bandits and in Traitor's Post, which is an abandoned house (near Windhelm) taken over by bandits, there were daggers (Broad Poignard) on the table as well as on the bandits.

I've also seen daggers on a couple of NPC's in Whiterun, but haven't noticed the dummy weapons yet.

Skeletons and Draugr all have rusted or old weapons, including bows. In fact a couple of skeletons bashed their blades against their shields in approval..lol, just before I scattered their bones.

I'd say it's all spread well among the leveled lists. Adrienne still doesn't have the gear in her inventory, but I don't see it as a problem since her husband does and they share the chest.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
WizardOfAtlantis
Steady Sworduser

I've found some items that Adrienne had for sale (Bearded War and Battle Axes, even some Blizzard and Scorch bows). Pretty expensive stuff, looked like 3-4x the normal game "equivalent" (running PISE barter tweaks, a steel battle axe cost 525 and a Nordic Bearded Battle Axe cost 1900, at 4th level with a low speechcraft skill). The Scorch and Blizzard bows cost 13K! :eek:

Still, that's all right. The normal items are coming up for me on bandits, draugr, and stormcloaks so far. Daggers as well.

The nordic broadhead quiver is a thing of beauty, and the fletching...!! :-D-)
Jamez820
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

deleted
shingouki
Admin

Alright it sounds like the results are mostly good enough to release...so I'll go with those.

I can't seem to figure out how to control the positioning of things in third person. Only first person has proper positional control...so I guess its one of those "you gotta just deal with it" kind of situations. In first person I tested it to make sure that everything looked correct.

I also think that there's a problem when females use weapons vs males...something with scaling. But I dont think its anything I can do about it :/

Most of the responses here are good though so I guess I'll release it officially very soon. Thank you so much for your participation in the Beta and thanks so much for your help :).
Jamez820
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

deleted
shingouki
Admin

Jamez820 wrote:What is the plan for tempering? they reminded me how fun and difficult the game can be without some uber stat weapon of uberness, and I just cant bring myself to enchant these beauties am I the only one? haha!
I hope that later on I can have a "certain" Ayleid Smith work on the blades to make them Legendary :). But for now they'll just be untemperable.

At most I would want you to be able to make them "fine" but that's it.

How's this look?
Maigrets
Admin

I can't seem to figure out how to control the positioning of things in third person. Only first person has proper positional control...so I guess its one of those "you gotta just deal with it" kind of situations. In first person I tested it to make sure that everything looked correct.

I also think that there's a problem when females use weapons vs males...something with scaling. But I dont think its anything I can do about it :/
I play in 1st person 99.9% of the time so that doesn't bother me and to tell the truth I hadn't even noticed anything, but obviously others who do use 3rd person mainly, may or may not care. I also only play as a female, but haven't noticed anything odd with scaling either.

On the subject of the screens in the above post.....YES!!! Also someone needs to make skeletons a worthy opponent and at least give them a fighting chance. As they are the vanilla skeletons can be shattered almost by staring hard at them. :shock:
Considering they are held together by magic one would think they'd be stronger as they were in previous TES games and every other fantasy game. I admit I haven't actually looked at the Nexus. It may have already been done.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Jamez820
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

deleted
WizardOfAtlantis
Steady Sworduser

Everything's really fit in seamlessly. I even found a dagger on a tabletop today!

I wanted to mention one thing about arrow damage, as it seems a little nerfed in my opinion. Let me illustrate with some numbers (which are of course representative of archery skill, but will serve as a comparison between/amongst themselves).
Vanilla Iron arrow 16, Steel 20
Nordic Bobkin 10, Broadhead 14, Barbed 18.

Now, the Bobkin I can understand, because even the iron arrow has a broad cutting head, if you look at it. The others, though...I would think by "looks" alone that the Nordic Broadhead should equal a vanilla steel arrow, and the Barbed be perhaps "4" over that.

Damage is really important...you don't want to be "penalized" mechanics-wise for using your beautiful equipment that doesn't match up to crappier/uglier vanilla stuff.That goes along with the last thing I would mention:

I would strongly urge for the ability to improve all of these weapons on the grinding stone, just like every other weapon in the game. That goes for forging possibilities as well. It's an immersion breaker when these weapons are "treated" differently in game. Forging and improvement are stock abilities now, and the lack of them make these weapons stick out. Just my opinion, but those are the only remaining facets that impede these things from literally being 100% appropriate and fully integrated in the game mechanic and game world. (I would discard the third person arrow/bow problem I pointed out...it would only matter for pictures as no one shoots in third person in the game)
shingouki
Admin

WizardOfAtlantis wrote:Everything's really fit in seamlessly. I even found a dagger on a tabletop today!

I wanted to mention one thing about arrow damage, as it seems a little nerfed in my opinion. Let me illustrate with some numbers (which are of course representative of archery skill, but will serve as a comparison between/amongst themselves).
Nordic Bobkin 10, Broadhead 14, Barbed 18.

Now, the Bobkin I can understand, because even the iron arrow has a broad cutting head, if you look at it. The others, though...I would think by "looks" alone that the Nordic Broadhead should equal a vanilla steel arrow, and the Barbed be perhaps "4" over that.

Damage is really important...you don't want to be "penalized" mechanics-wise for using your beautiful equipment that doesn't match up to crappier/uglier vanilla stuff.That goes along with the last thing I would mention:

I would strongly urge for the ability to improve all of these weapons on the grinding stone, just like every other weapon in the game. That goes for forging possibilities as well. It's an immersion breaker when these weapons are "treated" differently in game. Forging and improvement are stock abilities now, and the lack of them make these weapons stick out. Just my opinion, but those are the only remaining facets that impede these things from literally being 100% appropriate and fully integrated in the game mechanic and game world. (I would discard the third person arrow/bow problem I pointed out...it would only matter for pictures as no one shoots in third person in the game)
Actually I made the damage match up with vanilla arrow values. Barbed is supposed to do vanilla Glass arrow damage for example. You probably have a mod that changes the balance and makes arrows stronger.

I actually wanted to make the blades stronger in the beginning, but I had lowered them a bit. I'll see what I can do later on. I was also thinking to make each arrow have some sort of ability that variates it from each of the other arrows, similar to how the blades are. Like the Bobkin would be weak but fast, the Broadhead would be vanilla speed but slightly stronger than the Bobkin. Barbed would be slow, but high damage and would drain a bit of stamina/slow the enemy down for a short while. Something like that...

I'll see what I can do though. Maybe I'll make a Hi Damage/Low Damage kind of setup.

Thanks for your feedback, every little bit helps!
Jamez820
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

deleted
Maigrets
Admin

@Wiz
Vanilla iron and steel arrows are half those values. 8 and 10 respectively. Are you using an archery mod?

Shingouki,
As far as the blade damage goes I mentioned before the Beta that the damage values were way too high, but at the time I was assuming they would be able to be forged and tempered. I know the aim is to extend this mod with a special NPC to do those things, and more, and if that's still the case I think you should perhaps set the NPC up before continuing with the other racial weapons.....or allow them to be forged and tempered.

I'm tending to agree with the others as at Level 20+ (shield and sword) I'm finding weapons on bandits and undead etc that are way below my vanilla (and other mod) tempered counterparts and since I can't upgrade them it becomes a problem using them, especially against harder enemies.
I kinda agree, leaving out any forging or tempering, will cripple the mod potential because its what people expect, I love the idea of find and buy and bust your ass for it, but in the end people expect to be handed everything and will bitch if they don't get the ability to forge it, you will be up to your ears in requests on languages, forging, people who want console info, and plain trolls, requests that will slow the fast progress you have made.

I can see everything Jamez820 says coming true even now unfortunately. Maybe the other thing you could do with the higher level blades or real uniques at least, is to have them as quest rewards...for example at the end of the civil war or on certain themed bosses.

It's always been my belief that ultimately what you should to do is what you want to do and stay with your vision for your mod. But, as I've discovered with Oblivion modding it's sometimes less stressful to take an easier path. You wouldn't believe some of the outlandish requests I used to get by email and PM's and I mainly only made animal companions. That's besides the abuse and trolls.

Sneaking up on a Draugr with free cam...
WizardOfAtlantis
Steady Sworduser

Maigrets wrote: @Wiz
Vanilla iron and steel arrows are half those values. 8 and 10 respectively. Are you using an archery mod?
;-((

Sorry about that...I wanted to see how the mod played with others and I just realized the new Wars in Skyrim has a double arrow damage esp option that I totally forgot about. *hangs head in shame* :hang:
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

In terms of forging, worn or old weapons should be left out for the user to find on enemys and around the game world i think as this sort of feels like they would belong there. You wouldnt want to forge something that is already worn would you? ^^
That being said, the ability to temper them into a better blade would be a nice little feature.
Jamez820
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

deleted
shingouki
Admin

Jamez820 wrote:you could take old blades and use them as part of the recipe for newer blades
EX: old Gotland + steel ingot(s) = worn Gotland +steel ingot(s) = Gotland + Tempering = Gotland (fine, superior, epic W/E).
This definitely no lol.

For a blade to become new it has to be reforged. But I feel it should be reforged by the smith who knows it's proper construction.
Plus it would defeat the purpose of buying a new blade: just get an old one and take it to the forge and make it brand new and save your money :P.

I'm giving way to allowing these things to be sharpened at the grindstone, but later on I will remove this functionality and make it sharpened by a specific NPC and
allow it also to be reforged by an NPC who knows how.

The problem with the game's system related to this is that smithing IMO is straight up broken. It's imbalanced as hell, and makes the game a race to the strongest
weapon by making tons of iron daggers as opposed to actually being immersed in the game and trying to actually be good at smithing.

It lessens the value of the blade and the smithing art, and makes the blades into more meshes in the pile of other meshes, which I wanted to avoid. Each blade
actually has lore attached to it, and when it just becomes another weapon you can find in the forge, it really doesn't become anything special anymore.

Or maybe I will make two variations:

1) High Damage no sharpening, and
2) Low damage + Sharpening

Either way, I'm definitely steering away from making these craftable by the player because its just way too easy to become a master smith in this game.
starduks
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

shingouki wrote:
Jamez820 wrote:you could take old blades and use them as part of the recipe for newer blades
EX: old Gotland + steel ingot(s) = worn Gotland +steel ingot(s) = Gotland + Tempering = Gotland (fine, superior, epic W/E).
This definitely no lol.

For a blade to become new it has to be reforged. But I feel it should be reforged by the smith who knows it's proper construction.
Plus it would defeat the purpose of buying a new blade: just get an old one and take it to the forge and make it brand new and save your money :P.

I'm giving way to allowing these things to be sharpened at the grindstone, but later on I will remove this functionality and make it sharpened by a specific NPC and
allow it also to be reforged by an NPC who knows how.

The problem with the game's system related to this is that smithing IMO is straight up broken. It's imbalanced as hell, and makes the game a race to the strongest
weapon by making tons of iron daggers as opposed to actually being immersed in the game and trying to actually be good at smithing.

It lessens the value of the blade and the smithing art, and makes the blades into more meshes in the pile of other meshes, which I wanted to avoid. Each blade
actually has lore attached to it, and when it just becomes another weapon you can find in the forge, it really doesn't become anything special anymore.

Or maybe I will make two variations:

1) High Damage no sharpening, and
2) Low damage + Sharpening

Either way, I'm definitely steering away from making these craftable by the player because its just way too easy to become a master smith in this game.
to be honest, even if you disagree with it smithing skill is now canon. if im a lvl 100 smithing thats the same as me being a super amazing no one can match my skill lvl 100 blade. if you have 100 smithing you are a master smith/armor/blade maker. i honestly think you will be shooting yourself in the foot if you limit what the player can do. please make multiple versions one of which being a smithable/temperable version so they will lvl with the rest of the world. There is no reason not to imho. I am also for the ability to re craft an old blade to worn, worn to new.
yes my avatar is toolio