Gallery

Visuals of the swords, illustrations & drawings
Krimsyn Kane
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

In a perfect world, I'd defiantly agree, but within the constraints of a video game, particularly this overhaul, I think there needs to be a least some guidelines. If not, then what's the point of having any separation between the two at all, why have Bandits and Marauders, why not get rid of one group all together?

I think they need to either be different enough to warrant the distinctive name separation, whether it be a difference in armor, group membership, or even just spawning locations, like Bandits in camps and Marauders in forts. Or just eliminate one group.
Chin Music
Steady Sworduser

Krimsyn Kane wrote:In a perfect world, I'd defiantly agree, but within the constraints of a video game, particularly this overhaul, I think there needs to be a least some guidelines. If not, then what's the point of having any separation between the two at all, why have Bandits and Marauders, why not get rid of one group all together?

I think they need to either be different enough to warrant the distinctive name separation, whether it be a difference in armor, group membership, or even just spawning locations, like Bandits in camps and Marauders in forts. Or just eliminate one group.
I think the distinction of militant and vicious as opposed to sneaky and dishonest grants Marauders the use of Heavy Armor, it seems that such violent people would be more inclined toward the biggest and best protection possible, if only for boasting purposes, but it seems more practical for their use, considering my description of the way I view them, and with the pillaging and all, it seems it would be easier to come across than bandits preying on travelers and adventurers. Weapons can be whatever though, that part isn't really important.

I'd say any race could be Bandits, while Marauders are Orcs, Nords, Imperials, Redguards, Argonians and possibly Altmer for the spellcasters. Or maybe the Argonians could be the new spellcasters, especially because they're one of the few races with a fairly neutral standpoint on both physical and magical combat.

The more magical races could be more like outcasts of their race. If an Altmer or Breton doesn't appear as a Hedge Wizard, they might appear as a rather lowly bandit.

But I figure if the Elder Scrolls doesn't discriminate gender then perhaps trying for all this realism in races isn't much good and you may as well just let anyone be anything. Still, if it's something you really want to consider, I like my suggestions.

You want an honest suggestion of how I'd see Marauder armour? Exactly like the vanilla armour. Only dirty, rusted, dented, obvious scratches, botchy repairs, chipped away to pieces. You mentioned bandits would hide their plunder away as loot. Marauders do the exact opposite. Only the marauder leaders are given the choice new pieces of pillaged armor, and the rest is relegated as weaker "hand-me-downs". I don't want to see a Marauder wearing a knight's shining steel, I want to see it look as though it's been put through hell and still being used.

This would give the marauder leaders a gameplay reason to wear/store anything, which means it would still make sense to see a Marauder wearing armor as good as up to say, Ebony. (particularly with Waalx's Ebony redesign, which looks very marauder-y, but the concept of a highly ornate and beautiful piece of armor that has been brutalised for the marauder life is something which strikes me as an interesting concept) While other Marauders would simply wear the used and abused mashes of steel, iron and maybe even as high as dwarven or orcish.

Edit: In this sense, you could also give Marauders a few odd pieces of busted up Imperial guard armor. Nothing uniform, but a Marauder wearing a rusted and dirty Imperial Legion helmet along with the rest of their mismatched dented gear makes for a good image.
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

For the higher level marauders how about overdressed armor? Big and intimidating as the Samurai. Scare the enemy, should work good when raiding a village.
"Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos"

"why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
Krigulv
Initiated Swordwielder
Initiated Swordwielder

Mormacil wrote:For the higher level marauders how about overdressed armor? Big and intimidating as the Samurai. Scare the enemy, should work good when raiding a village.
i really like this idea.
or maybe something a bit different, like the higher level, the more ornaments (trophies, skulls, etc) on their armor.
Waalx
Forum Master
Born in: 1973

ah!

I see that the prospect of having the bandits wear specific gears hasn't fallen on deaf ears!

I'm giving consideration to all yer advices. Lets see what I can bring up for the rest of it.

Tell you what. I'm thinking of bringing the bandits in a final version first. The marauders I can always work on them next.

So based on all that have been said I would propose this.

Since all the work on the bandits is pretty advanced already, I'm going to keep it as it is. So in WAC the bandits will wear light and heavy armors, but those are crap iron and resistant but very heavy bronze.

The Marauders will get another brand of armors , based on more quality armors, and also a couple of bandits heavy ones thrown in. (later I will throw a couple of quality Marauders armors in bandits boss high level list).

I want to see the end of the bandits before I work on another group of stuff again.
Haruko
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand

Waalx wrote:ah!

I see that the prospect of having the bandits wear specific gears hasn't fallen on deaf ears!

I'm giving consideration to all yer advices. Lets see what I can bring up for the rest of it.

Tell you what. I'm thinking of bringing the bandits in a final version first. The marauders I can always work on them next.

So based on all that have been said I would propose this.

Since all the work on the bandits is pretty advanced already, I'm going to keep it as it is. So in WAC the bandits will wear light and heavy armors, but those are crap iron and resistant but very heavy bronze.

The Marauders will get another brand of armors , based on more quality armors, and also a couple of bandits heavy ones thrown in. (later I will throw a couple of quality Marauders armors in bandits boss high level list).

I want to see the end of the bandits before I work on another group of stuff again.
that's..... actually a really great idea there Waalx, the marauders can be like a more gainfully employed version of the bandit, with more expensive and all around shinier armors and weapons XD

Edit: W00T, first on page 100! /sniff it seems like only yesterday I was discovering this here forum in it's infancy.
It's a pally thing, you wouldn't understand.
http://gamercard.xbox.com/Haruko%20Hoshiko.card
Waalx
Forum Master

ok I'm about to let a pre-Alpha out. It's not a public release yet however, and it's just to test the stuff a bit and get some outside view before I make a public release.

Anyone interested in testing or helping with what's there, drop me a PM, and I will forward you a link to the files.
DarkWind
Chronicler

I'd love to try this out but unfortunately can't play Oblivion until monday....
That's right, that's the truth! Drive 'er straight sideways lad!
Druss13
Steady Sworduser

I would love to test it......
"I am not a warrior for good nor evil I just keep the score balanced"

"I am the silent assassin, if you can see me, your already dead"
Druss13
Steady Sworduser

Need something too test my new axe......
"I am not a warrior for good nor evil I just keep the score balanced"

"I am the silent assassin, if you can see me, your already dead"
Waalx
Forum Master

If you asked, you should have got this...

Divine Avenger
Fumbling Sworduser

Sign me up :-D-) :-)
Sethsryt
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

Wow, this sounds interesting Waalx.
I was just feeling like a "hunt" with my existing character.
Like throw all stuff in a box and go there with only some cheap 1 gold clothes for coverage.

Please sign me up, I would love to test this. My girl would love to play it too, she has been waiting so long.
And she is even more eager to try it out.
Please let us hunt. :-(

Your work is perfect, just wondering. That female Xivilai, one of the youngest girls I guess. Not the youngest though, yet without armor. It would be lovely to have a summoning spell that summons a pack of those younglings to assist my Dremora character. Just wondering though, would be lovely, and it would add a possibility to level the summoning spells. Like casting a summoning spell with a master conjuration would give you a big xivilai while an apprentice would have to deal with a young rebel Xivilai.
Krimsyn Kane
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

Any future plans, Waalx, to take the diversification you added to the Mages Guild, and expand that to the other guild factions? I know you already put quite a bit a work into the arena, but did you want to do the same things with the Fighters Guild, or the Dark Brotherhood, or even the Thieves Guild, somewhere down the line?
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

Hmm more then one type of armor for the DB that isn't ninja related ^_^
"Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos"

"why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
Waalx
Forum Master

Sethsryt wrote:
Please sign me up,
yer in!
Krimsyn Kane wrote: Any future plans, Waalx, to take the diversification you added to the Mages Guild, and expand that to the other guild factions? I know you already put quite a bit a work into the arena, but did you want to do the same things with the Fighters Guild, or the Dark Brotherhood, or even the Thieves Guild, somewhere down the line?
well..yeah. but give some time. In WAC preAlpha you should see some difference already. Although not as the bandits or gladiators or mages.

Not sure how far I'll go with other types, that remain to be seen. like a lot of stuff! :hang:

the dagger props and bags I made are now only on bandits too. that should change. Now all the armor I changed use the mage belts items. But even the bandits belts I made are not all finished. I reused the same ones too much for some armors.
sageofcyrodiil
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

"I'm out of it for a little while and everybody's got delusions of grandeur!" - Han Solo

Wow. I got internet restored saturday, and holy crap Waalx, things look awesome. Still working on some stories and I'm still eager to work on CoS. So, gimme a holler with what you'd like done and I'll take a whack at it.
LHammonds
Fumbling Sworduser

"what do you mean by a messed up hair texture for zombie? because Oblivion Zombie texture was messed up in the game?"

Yes, that's what I was talking about. Gotta go before I get too interested here and get sucked into this time sink. LOL

Catchya later.
LHammonds
starduks
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

ive been away for far too long. waalx your work is still amazing. your creativity has no bounds
Waalx
Forum Master