Dragon Age Origins.

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Maigrets wrote:That made me laugh for some reason. Firewall.... :D
If you where thinking what I think then you where correct. It could not be passed without doing a certain thing with the entire group. :)
Maigrets wrote:Nice screenshots. The graphics do look pretty good I must say for an older game. Are you using replacers besides the one's you've mentioned like armours and characters etc?
Well I use quit a few mods, but since DAO uses a different format then Skyrim for instance I can not fully check all the mods. But I use for instance this mod which improves a few things pixel wise. But I also use mods like Improved Atmosphere which does a lot of things, so it is possible that it also makes some changes to the textures used in game.
Maigrets wrote:Now I've got Inquisition working I might think about getting Origins, but I'll wait until Steam has another sale. Although that would mean playing them out of order, but that's neither here nor there. You can transfer your characters to the new game from the previous ones though.
Well I can really recommend Dragon Age Origins, it is really great. As for sales on Steam ... I do not know how much Origins Ultimate Edition costs in Australia, but here in Europe it is only 20 euro's. So except for offering it for free, ( Which could happen because of Inquisition. ) I doubt that the price will drop much any time soon, but one can never be certain about that I guess. :)
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Well I can really recommend Dragon Age Origins, it is really great. As for sales on Steam ... I do not know how much Origins Ultimate Edition costs in Australia, but here in Europe it is only 20 euro's. So except for offering it for free, ( Which could happen because of Inquisition. ) I doubt that the price will drop much any time soon, but one can never be certain about that I guess. :)
I purchased a Steam voucher yesterday but it wasn't enough for Origins anyway. I think it was around $29.99 for the Ultimate pack, but I'll keep an eye out for the Xmas sales.

As far as Inquisition goes...now that I managed to get it running I don't have the desire to really play it after all the drama and still even after the patch many are saying they still have major problems. I think I only persevered this long to see if it would eventually play, but the issues with the menus is just too much, especially when you have to use them so often. It would drive me insane long term...lol

Origins sounds more my style. A game that actually works out of the box and I assume is stable and not crashing all the time. At least you haven't mentioned any big problems. And it's moddable which is a big bonus.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I purchased a Steam voucher yesterday but it wasn't enough for Origins anyway. I think it was around $29.99 for the Ultimate pack, but I'll keep an eye out for the Xmas sales.
Doh to bad, but I hat not accounted for Christmas ... that could indeed be a chance for better prices.
Maigrets wrote:As far as Inquisition goes...now that I managed to get it running I don't have the desire to really play it after all the drama and still even after the patch many are saying they still have major problems. I think I only persevered this long to see if it would eventually play, but the issues with the menus is just too much, especially when you have to use them so often. It would drive me insane long term...lol
It is a real shame that it is going like that for Inquisition ... but they decided to do things like that this time and now they pay for it with bad reputation.
Maigrets wrote:Origins sounds more my style. A game that actually works out of the box and I assume is stable and not crashing all the time. At least you haven't mentioned any big problems. And it's moddable which is a big bonus.
I am pretty darn sure that you will indeed like it. :) And being able to mod it is indeed great for those who can. I have mentioned it several times before, but I will repeat it again ... if you can not get used to using the pause function in every fight or if you want even more realistic behaviour then default tactics then at the very least install EMAT.
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote: It is a real shame that it is going like that for Inquisition ... but they decided to do things like that this time and now they pay for it with bad reputation.
Yeah, it's a bit of an anticlimax. I thought after the patch things might be better for everyone but people are asking to be able to roll back the patch as it made a lot of things worse and the forums are even more vicious than before. At least I can say I saw some of it, I suppose. Maybe next year IF they issue more patches and they sort out all the issues I might try again.

I only played for about an hour, not counting the cut scenes so I didn't see any quest glitches and other game stopping things people talk about so it wasn't really enough to judge the complete game.

EA's reputation is going to take a bigger dive after all this. If they can get any worse. I blame them more than Bioware because it's the publishers that force early releases and the game was already delayed a month to get things in order. Sadly, it's the same for a lot of AAA games these days.
I am pretty darn sure that you will indeed like it. :) And being able to mod it is indeed great for those who can. I have mentioned it several times before, but I will repeat it again ... if you can not get used to using the pause function in every fight or if you want even more realistic behaviour then default tactics then at the very least install EMAT.
It's the combat style that really will be a big change for me and party tactics which is something I've never played with in any game before. Thanks for the link though. I would go back over your thread anyway since I remember you left other useful links.

I believe the story is quite epic and a lot better than anything Bethesda have done so it should be worth it. My gaming tastes have changed in the past few years so I'm sure I can adapt to the combat... :D
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:Yeah, it's a bit of an anticlimax. I thought after the patch things might be better for everyone but people are asking to be able to roll back the patch as it made a lot of things worse and the forums are even more vicious than before. At least I can say I saw some of it, I suppose. Maybe next year IF they issue more patches and they sort out all the issues I might try again.

I only played for about an hour, not counting the cut scenes so I didn't see any quest glitches and other game stopping things people talk about so it wasn't really enough to judge the complete game.

EA's reputation is going to take a bigger dive after all this. If they can get any worse. I blame them more than Bioware because it's the publishers that force early releases and the game was already delayed a month to get things in order. Sadly, it's the same for a lot of AAA games these days.
Indeed EA is the biggest problem in the game world. ( At least that I personally know of. ) Personally I think that sooner or later they will start paying the price for the way they do business.
Maigrets wrote:It's the combat style that really will be a big change for me and party tactics which is something I've never played with in any game before. Thanks for the link though. I would go back over your thread anyway since I remember you left other useful links.
Setting tactics for party members and their behaviour is something that you get used to very quickly with the default system. With EMAT it will take a bit longer to learn it but it has a informative DOC and PDF file so that is good.
Maigrets wrote:I believe the story is quite epic and a lot better than anything Bethesda have done so it should be worth it. My gaming tastes have changed in the past few years so I'm sure I can adapt to the combat... :D
As far as I am concerned the story in DAO is so much better and deeper then Oblivion and Skyrim. As for your gaming tastes, yeah I do not think you will have much trouble getting used to the combat system. Especially when using EMAT, since I started using it I did not have to use the pause function that often. ( As a matter of fact I can not remember the last time I used pause during combat? )

Now I do use mods that give equipment that can certainly be called powerful ... but I also use a mod that removes the elemental cap and that change works for both my character and his companions but also for the enemies. So even though Rhaegos has powerful equipment ... the elemental damage can be lessened or totally resisted. Another mod I use increases the combat speed for both my players group as for the enemies. Those two mods combined with playing on Hard difficulty is starting to give more moments where I start to think ... "Oh crap, this is not going well!?"

When I was doing the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest with Rhaegos I decided to try out the High Dragon on that mountain top. ( Although it is an optional fight. ) Rhaegos and some of the companions just turned level 15 ... and since I was able to defeat the first High Dragon ( Although not easy. ) I thought my group would be victorious against this one as well. Well the second High Dragon thought other wise, because it beat the crap out of my group twice in a row. So once my group is a few levels higher I will give it a second chance to say if I can take revenge. :grin:
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:
Indeed EA is the biggest problem in the game world. ( At least that I personally know of. ) Personally I think that sooner or later they will start paying the price for the way they do business.
The unfortunate thing about that is many people have short memories and will buy the next game hoping or expecting it will be better and never learn. Just like Bethesda and Ubisoft (who actually do fix their mistakes, aka Unity and Far Cry 4) they get away with it year after year.
As far as I am concerned the story in DAO is so much better and deeper then Oblivion and Skyrim. As for your gaming tastes, yeah I do not think you will have much trouble getting used to the combat system. Especially when using EMAT, since I started using it I did not have to use the pause function that often. ( As a matter of fact I can not remember the last time I used pause during combat? )
That sounds good because it's always seemed to me that having to watch what your party is doing and keeping them alive is just as annoying, or maybe I should say stressful, as having non essential followers in TES games. Well, maybe not that bad...lol. I have enough to worry about keeping myself alive. :cheese:
Now I do use mods that give equipment that can certainly be called powerful ... but I also use a mod that removes the elemental cap and that change works for both my character and his companions but also for the enemies. So even though Rhaegos has powerful equipment ... the elemental damage can be lessened or totally resisted. Another mod I use increases the combat speed for both my players group as for the enemies. Those two mods combined with playing on Hard difficulty is starting to give more moments where I start to think ... "Oh crap, this is not going well!?"

When I was doing the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest with Rhaegos I decided to try out the High Dragon on that mountain top. ( Although it is an optional fight. ) Rhaegos and some of the companions just turned level 15 ... and since I was able to defeat the first High Dragon ( Although not easy. ) I thought my group would be victorious against this one as well. Well the second High Dragon thought other wise, because it beat the crap out of my group twice in a row. So once my group is a few levels higher I will give it a second chance to say if I can take revenge. :grin:
Sounds good. When I get a chance I'll start looking over the mods section at Nexus to see what's on offer.

:angry: That High dragon.. He/she doesn't know revenge is sweet and third time is lucky. Image
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:The unfortunate thing about that is many people have short memories and will buy the next game hoping or expecting it will be better and never learn. Just like Bethesda and Ubisoft (who actually do fix their mistakes, aka Unity and Far Cry 4) they get away with it year after year.
Indeed they made sure to apologize and make up for their mistakes.
Maigrets wrote:That sounds good because it's always seemed to me that having to watch what your party is doing and keeping them alive is just as annoying, or maybe I should say stressful, as having non essential followers in TES games. Well, maybe not that bad...lol. I have enough to worry about keeping myself alive. :cheese:
It is indeed, and in DAO it is the rule that if one of your companions manages to survive a fight then it will not matter if all other team members lost. Those who where "Killed" will get up again after the fight ends. But keep in mind that Friendly damage is possible from the normal difficulty and up. But skills that have a chance of doing friendly damage show this in the description.
Maigrets wrote:Sounds good. When I get a chance I'll start looking over the mods section at Nexus to see what's on offer.

There is not even close as much mods as there is for the TES games but still more then enough for interesting things. :)
Maigrets wrote: :angry: That High dragon.. He/she doesn't know revenge is sweet and third time is lucky. Image
Sooner or later it will Die. :twisted:
Maigrets
Admin

I checked on Steam re the size of the download for the Ultimate Ed and it's 20GB. I don't think I can download a file that size, as it will take a huge chunk out of my monthly download limit, so I'll see if our game store has it, or can get it, and what the price difference is. Another thing is if a disc version will use Steam or Origin. I would prefer Steam. Does the Steam version still need to login to EA servers, which wouldn't matter I guess if it's like KOAR.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Yeah it is a huge download, but I a cable modem so there is no download limit. ( And it is rare now a days that providers still use download limits, well at least here in the Netherlands. )

And I hope the stores can get the game for you for a good price. But to answer your question ... no I do not think you have to log in twice. ( At least I never hat to log in to a Bioware account in order to play the game through Steam. ) I first started with the regular version of DAO on Origin. But then bought the Ultimate Edition on Steam and it somehow picked up all the savegames and mods I was using with the Origin version. ( So I think no, but I can not say for 100% certainty. )

Once steam starts and I start DAO then the launch menu from Bioware comes up and then I only have to click play. :) You can login to the Bioware site if you have a Bioware account in the main menu of the game, but that is only if you wish to share your achievements and upload your screenshots to the Bioware Legacy site. ( I tried that once to see if it worked, but I have not been able to determine that it does. So do not even bother doing that. )

** Also if you want the toolset then you must have a Bioware account to register the main game here...

http://social.bioware.com/user_bw_games_register.php

Just scroll down to till you find the PC version of Dragon Age Origins Ultimate then enter the CD key you can get through steam. There will be two, on for the main Ultimate Edition game and one for the DLC. )

** And for the free promotional mods go here...

https://social.bioware.com/redeem_code.php

** Here is much more and better information on this all.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... ideModal=1

** Also there are quit a few mods that require the use of the console in game, and under steam you need to do a few simple things to get the console and to make it work in game.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =181735815

A very confusing post of mine so I hope you can make some use of it any way. :(
Maigrets
Admin

Thanks for all the info. I'll make good use of it. :)

Yes, Australia is pretty backward when it comes to Internet usage, including speed. When I see the speed people have in the US and Europe I can only look on in wonder. It makes me laugh when on the Nexus if you become Premium you get 1MB DL speed minimum or something like that when all I can manage is 500kb. Some sites, like Steam however I can download at 800kb, but that is the maximum I've ever seen. It depends on the site.

I am with the biggest provider in Aust...Telstra...and I get 100GB a month which costs me $88 a month. That's on top of phone rental costs which is another $30 a month. 100GB sounds like a lot, but gets used pretty quickly. I watch a lot of Youtube, music, Let's Plays etc, and that eats it up, plus other downloads and activity. When I play Dark Souls 2 I'm always connected since it has multiplayer, but I think that probably doesn't add up to very much overall. I've never actually looked into it.

Although having said that I haven't looked at the Telstra Home page for a long time to see if they have updated their plans and speeds which they would have. It gets more expensive anyway the more premium your plan gets, so I probably wouldn't at this stage.

I could try to plan it around the end of a cycle and the beginning of the next. I don't really care about the price so much if it's on Steam Xmas sales and miss it, as I just spent $89 on a useless game, although that does annoy me for other reasons than the money. I just need to get another Steam voucher next week.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:Thanks for all the info. I'll make good use of it. :)

Yes, Australia is pretty backward when it comes to Internet usage, including speed. When I see the speed people have in the US and Europe I can only look on in wonder. It makes me laugh when on the Nexus if you become Premium you get 1MB DL speed minimum or something like that when all I can manage is 500kb. Some sites, like Steam however I can download at 800kb, but that is the maximum I've ever seen. It depends on the site.

I am with the biggest provider in Aust...Telstra...and I get 100GB a month which costs me $88 a month. That's on top of phone rental costs which is another $30 a month. 100GB sounds like a lot, but gets used pretty quickly. I watch a lot of Youtube, music, Let's Plays etc, and that eats it up, plus other downloads and activity. When I play Dark Souls 2 I'm always connected since it has multiplayer, but I think that probably doesn't add up to very much overall. I've never actually looked into it.

Although having said that I haven't looked at the Telstra Home page for a long time to see if they have updated their plans and speeds which they would have. It gets more expensive anyway the more premium your plan gets, so I probably wouldn't at this stage.

I could try to plan it around the end of a cycle and the beginning of the next. I don't really care about the price so much if it's on Steam Xmas sales and miss it, as I just spent $89 on a useless game, although that does annoy me for other reasons than the money. I just need to get another Steam voucher next week.
Shjees those are steep prices for 100GB? :shock:

This might make you jealous, so do not read unless you like that. :think:
spoiler:
I pay half of that per month for a All in one package ( TV / Phone and Unlimited Internet ) ... and the only extra costs I get are from the phone calls I make. ( And even those are free if the person I call is with the same provider as I am. )
As for the $89, yeah I can imagine that annoys you to say the least. But hopefully you can get Origins for a really nice price during Christmas. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote: Shjees those are steep prices for 100GB? :shock:

This might make you jealous, so do not read unless you like that. :think:
spoiler:
I pay half of that per month for a All in one package ( TV / Phone and Unlimited Internet ) ... and the only extra costs I get are from the phone calls I make. ( And even those are free if the person I call is with the same provider as I am. )
As for the $89, yeah I can imagine that annoys you to say the least. But hopefully you can get Origins for a really nice price during Christmas. :)
lol, Good for you. I'm not jealous. There's nothing I can do about our lousy internet and our Telcoms charge what they do because they can and there's no competition. At least I have internet otherwise I'd go crazy.. :grin:

I watched a couple of Origin videos today and I must say even the default character models...ie not modded...look very good. I wonder why Bethesda can't make people of different stature like Dwarves and skinny Elves, big bulky warriors etc. They just stick to a formula over and over and let modders do it I suppose.

Just out of interest have you played any of the Fable games? I played a bit of the first one but never actually finished it. It was so long ago I don't remember a lot about it though except it had a reputation system and was fairly linear IIRC. Just looking for more alternatives to new games.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:lol, Good for you. I'm not jealous. There's nothing I can do about our lousy internet and our Telcoms charge what they do because they can and there's no competition. At least I have internet otherwise I'd go crazy.. :grin:
That is indeed a problem when there is no competition I agree, and although Australia is bigger I guess it is much less densely populated then the Netherlands.
Maigrets wrote:I watched a couple of Origin videos today and I must say even the default character models...ie not modded...look very good. I wonder why Bethesda can't make people of different stature like Dwarves and skinny Elves, big bulky warriors etc. They just stick to a formula over and over and let modders do it I suppose.
I agree, by default it is already very good, but still having more choice is always nice. :)
Maigrets wrote:Just out of interest have you played any of the Fable games? I played a bit of the first one but never actually finished it. It was so long ago I don't remember a lot about it though except it had a reputation system and was fairly linear IIRC. Just looking for more alternatives to new games.
Actually I have played Fable - The lost Chapters, and I still have the game. It is a very nice game to play, but it is very much an EGO game in my opinion. Did Fable 1 became what the development team wanted it to become ... I think not. I like Fable the Lost Chapters, but in all honesty I have no real idea if you will. Still if you can get Fable - The Lost Chapters very cheap then you could always watch a few video's and then decide whether to try it or not. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote: That is indeed a problem when there is no competition I agree, and although Australia is bigger I guess it is much less densely populated then the Netherlands.
Australia is huge, but most of it is desert and it's most populated around the coasts. I live in the country which is one reason I get low speeds. If I was in one of the capital cities it would be a lot better, but still nowhere near US and Euro speeds, and costs. But is what it is...lol and could always be worse.
Actually I have played Fable - The lost Chapters, and I still have the game. It is a very nice game to play, but it is very much an EGO game in my opinion. Did Fable 1 became what the development team wanted it to become ... I think not. I like Fable the Lost Chapters, but in all honesty I have no real idea if you will. Still if you can get Fable - The Lost Chapters very cheap then you could always watch a few video's and then decide whether to try it or not. :)
I'll check out some videos. I'm not sure what an "EGO" game is. I looked on Google and all I got was links to LEGO or EGO, an actual game engine..lol.

EDIT: Watched some vids and I do remember some of it now, at least the beginning. The thing I really like is the reputation system in that you are recognized for the things you do. An important thing that's lacking in many rpg's. Is that what you mean by EGO?

Anyway, I'm currently downloading it from Steam. It's only 2.1GB and cost $9.99 which is OK considering I just saw the very first Gothic game for $19.99. Great game, but is very old now and I wouldn't pay that much for it if I didn't already have it.

I guess I'm clutching at straws looking for games in my very small sphere of preference. I've already played the ones I really like, several times, ..Gothic series, Thief series, Vampire the Masquerade, Fallout 3& NV, TES and some others etc... and I'm a bit more than jaded re the way the industry is going.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

LoL the reputation is what I mean with EGO, Fable is very much about boosting ones feeling through praising the player. Combine that with the things you can unlock in game, and you have a game that is very much about feelings. ( And more of course. ) It is certainly a very nice game to play once or twice. Once as a good guy and once as an evil one. :twisted:

As for other games to play, well have you ever played Jade Empire? ( Personally I have the Special Edition. ) It is also a very well made game in my opinion.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:LoL the reputation is what I mean with EGO, Fable is very much about boosting ones feeling through praising the player. Combine that with the things you can unlock in game, and you have a game that is very much about feelings. ( And more of course. ) It is certainly a very nice game to play once or twice. Once as a good guy and once as an evil one. :twisted:
Yes....I've already decided a good and and an evil character. :cheese: It's too tempting to do "bad deeds" as the guards say. I've already gotten a few laughs and I only just reached the training academy.

The thing I like is choices, which better explains what I meant about reputation. Example....Should I beat up the older kid who's extorting the little kid and get the teddy bear, or should I beat up the little kid and get half the pocket money? You don't find out the consequence until after you choose. I like that... :twisted:

I like the reputation part as well, especially in this type of game, although I'm immune to ego boosting...lol. I think it's meant to be a fun thing to an extent, or that's how I look at it.

For a 2005 game the graphics look pretty good to me on the highest settings.
As for other games to play, well have you ever played Jade Empire? ( Personally I have the Special Edition. ) It is also a very well made game in my opinion.
No, I haven't, but I just watched a short video. I'll keep it in mind as the list grows.

I do like the look of this game. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Previously console exclusive like a lot of the good action type games, but now on PC.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/234080/
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I do like the look of this game. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Previously console exclusive like a lot of the good action type games, but now on PC.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/234080/
Hmm looks like a good action RPG, I might start looking into that one a bit more myself. :)
Maigrets
Admin

OK, so DA:Origins Ultimate is only $14.99 at the moment on sale which is half price, so I'm going to get it. I might have to delay the download for a few days so I don't go over my limit, but at that price I can't not get it.

It's on sale at our EBGames store as well but they don't have it in stock and it would be well after New Year, if not longer due to the holidays, before they got it in. And it's not as cheap..lol. Plus, I think that version would still use Origin, which I don't want to use if possible.

I just love Steam, I know people complain about it but I've never had a problem and I've been a member since the Half Life 1 days.

I downloaded the manual and it looks to have quite a learning curve compared to most rpg's I've played, at least the party mechanics, so it might take some getting into. I've watched a few more videos and the combat doesn't seem as "clunky" as I had previously thought.

Is there a way to remove the coloured rings around the characters in combat, or minimize them a bit? I guess they are so you can more easily tell who is on your side and who is the enemy or allies, but they just look too obvious. Anyway, I'll do some looking around the Nexus mod section, if they aren't too busy.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

That is a good price alright. :)

And yeah the party mechanics with EMAT are not as easy as with other games, and some like the Multicondition rules are things I still do not understand yet. But you will not have all the tactic rules at once so you will have time to learn. :)

And although I have not used it myself so far there is this mod for those rings.

No ground rings
Maigrets
Admin

Yeah, first I have to find out how to install mods, but that won't be an issue. I already found a mod that allows the dog to be a fifth party member at all times. You know I love my critter companions...lol

Thanks for that link. I find the rings to be distracting to look at, but maybe it's different in game. Instead of no rings it would be better if they were more opaque and thinner, but none sounds better. It seems there's an option in DA 2 to remove them, but I'll see how it goes and if it doesn't confuse the issue in combat with a party and enemies. I imagine there's a friendly fire option so I don't kill my own team...lol

EDIT:
Actually this one sounds more like what I need. It keeps the circles but makes them more transparent so you can still see who is who.
Circles Be Gone
http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods ... w%3D&pUp=1