WAC Beta v0.1 - Downloads, comments, suggestions

Download and read about WAC Beta v0.1
Post Reply
megazogg
Steady Sworduser
Posts: 10
Joined: August 11th, 2007

August 3rd, 2009

Oh, new toy!!! Can't wait to see what you've done in Gladiator, Waalx! As for comments, I have some ideas, so I want to share them with you, if you don't mind.

First of all, I'd like to stop on compatibility issues of WAC with UL. If you will set UL plugins to load AFTER WAC it will minimize the conflicts and will show no land tearing at all. You can still find some of WAC stuff, like broderwatch posts and different execution devices buried into the ground a little more then they supposed to be, but this is tolerable. There is still one major conflict with UL in the area of Bandit camp north-west from Cheydinhal, because of the bandit camp placed right in the mountain steam, but then again, you can always start to imagine that bandits simply began irrigation works there. :lol:

Second, I've encountered Wood Witches several times and I found that their necklace is too expansive (I use Economy mod, so it costs ~ 10000 gp in my game) and it have too powerful and imo unneeded enchantment, giving them 20% resistance to magick (and they already have almost total immunity to magick via race bonus), so that if player managed to kill several of them, he can raise funds rather easy.
Also, it would be great to give them some unique clothes or armor, something not too fancy as they live in forests, but something interesting. Besides that, I don't see the reason to make special race for them (not very lore-friendly), imo, they could be some kind of "feral" or "crazed" type of Bosmer females (taking in account Bosmer's Green Pact). But once again, it is my imo.

Third and last, I'd like to propose to you to use "Medieval Oblivion Equipment Balance System (MOBS)" as a base for your armors and weapons, since it fixes and tweaks Oblivion's vanilla stats, making them more "realistic" (reasonable) and diverse. More ever, you will have solid base of stats, so there will be no need to invent a wheel were it doesn’t needed. Presently, stats of your weapons are sometimes quite close to stats, used in MOBS.
If you want, I can help you to migrate all of your stuff to MOBS, as I was forced to began to do so because of two little plugins one of which changes the game to take player's strength and other stats in account then calculating weapon damage, and Damar Stiehl's Diverse Races (which expands pros and cons for each race), so it is pretty easy for Nord battlemage to defeat most of enemies with his strength = 80 and Atronarch birthsign.
User avatar
Catlinman
Unsteady Sworduser
Posts: 6
Joined: July 9th, 2009

August 3rd, 2009

Sorry about the spelling :)
Catlinman wrote: 1.After I die and load a save or just from getting board and loading a save the game crashes
Waalx wrote: 1. no idea. "or just from getting board" what does that mean 'getting board'? Bored? boarded? either way I don't get the signification. Border?

I meant getting tired of playing the same character all the time

Btw when i entered "The Dividing Line" in Leyawiin a dog attacked me.
Is that supposed to happen ?
User avatar
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer
Posts: 949
Joined: June 12th, 2007
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

August 3rd, 2009

Two notes:

1) Loot(values) haven't been touched yet. These are just guesses and raw drafts no real thinking gone into it.

2) This mod is more inspirited on Conan and the likes then TES lore. We keep to try Waalx to follow lore a little but we can only expect so much from him. As for the Bosmer I agree but who knows nothing wrong with a witch order and then again Beth totally raped lore in TES4 ;)
"Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos"

"why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
User avatar
NoName101
Steady Sworduser
Posts: 20
Joined: July 27th, 2009

August 3rd, 2009

Nice job on the arena. Oh and thanks for the (For Now) after your warning.

But, anyway......The armor is awesome. I can`t wait to see the finished release. With all the awesome armor and that warning disappeared in the readme. When Waalx says read the readme. You really should.

Anyhoo. The helms are awesome!

Forgot to add that the swords are AMAZING. Nothing but respect Waalx!
I definitely don't regret leaving FCOM now. :P *gets slapped*
SirNoweth
Fumbling Sworduser
Posts: 2
Joined: June 11th, 2009

August 4th, 2009

I downloaded this quite a while ago, and it's only now that I begin posting to give my first impressions because I wanted to experience as much of WAC as possible before telling you how it went.

How did it go? Simply amazing...

The first day I installed WAC, I went with a new character to Anvil to begin the Nights of the Nine quest. As I exited Anvil to search for wayshrines to pray to, I decided to visit the Mara one near the city I just exited. As I was walking down the road, I stumbled upon three hyenas. As a level three character, dispatching them was somewhat difficult, yet loads of fun. Out of nowhere, two more ambush me. I felled them just the same and went on my way.

I decided to head to Lord Drad's Estate and found a black shire horse waiting for me. Seeing how it was a free ride, I took it. No longer following the roads, I left to locate the Mara wayshrine once more. The trek went well, until I spotted a Sabretooth tiger! I must say, the sight of this thing kept my eyes agape for quite some time, but my eyes were closed if you compare them to the shock I felt when I saw that it noticed me and starting charging straight for me. And let me tell you, those cats run fast! They easily caught up to my shire horse and got in a few hits before I lost it. Riding through the fields of yellow grass, I tried to calm down and head for the wayshrine once again. But I then encountered a Blue Wildebeest, and boy, was it mad. It followed me the same way the tiger did, but I was so close to the wayshrine; I couldn't stop now. But when I got to the wayshrine, I saw the tiger waiting for me, along with a new creature...

I dismounted my horse and the tiger decided I would be its' next dinner. As it hit me, however, the other creature waiting for me pounced, and struck the tiger right in the back. My saviour turned out to be a White Lioness! She dispatched the tiger and charged after the wildebeest that was apparently still near me. She ended up killing it, too but was badly wounded after those two bouts. The least I could do was heal her up to decent health. But man, what an enjoyable adventure!

I'm really starting to respect those White Lion(esse)s you mentioned in your first post, Waalx. They truly are helpful. The one that saved my behind from two dangerous predators must be payed in debt for her heroic deeds. Honestly, this is such a wonderful mod: the items are all beautifully done, the creatures are entertaining and beautiful, and the other features are equally as good. I've been having so much fun with this so far, thank you so much for allowing me to enjoy this piece of beauty. It was an honor, even though I didn't really help in bug squashing.

I really do hate bringing up FCOM in this discussion, but consider this as another plea to do something about computability with it when the time comes (FCOM 1.0 is released, WAC is out of Alpha/Beta stage, etc.). I, too share the dream of seeing WAC in an FCOM-based game (or vice versa), and not having one take dominance over loot or monster placement. I understand you and dev might share different visions on how Oblivion should run, but I hope you two can find a way to let bygones be bygones and mix these two ideas together. I hope I'm not sounding selfish or anything, but seeing these two monster ideas (no pun intended) combined would be simply the greatest thing the Oblivion world has seen.

Once again, thanks for giving me the privilege to play this mod. Best of luck on its' future development.
User avatar
Krimsyn Kane
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Posts: 77
Joined: October 3rd, 2007
Location: Austin, TX

August 4th, 2009

SirNoweth wrote:I really do hate bringing up FCOM in this discussion, but consider this as another plea to do something about computability with it when the time comes (FCOM 1.0 is released, WAC is out of Alpha/Beta stage, etc.). I, too share the dream of seeing WAC in an FCOM-based game (or vice versa), and not having one take dominance over loot or monster placement. I understand you and dev might share different visions on how Oblivion should run, but I hope you two can find a way to let bygones be bygones and mix these two ideas together. I hope I'm not sounding selfish or anything, but seeing these two monster ideas (no pun intended) combined would be simply the greatest thing the Oblivion world has seen.
If the FCOM people want to make WAC compatible with their mod, let them deal with it. I know I might get quite a few people angry with this statement, but personally I think it would be downright silly to play WAC and FCOM together.

Although they modify Oblivion in similar ways, they're about as opposite as two overhauls can be. FCOM takes content made by many different people, from many different mods, and jumbles them all together. There's no continuity, or cohesion to it. It's a mess.

There are plenty of really awesome swords, or bits of armor, or cool creatures that FCOM adds to the game but without the same level of quality and consistency added by WAC it's like taking 10 of your favorite foods, which are all great on there own, but then throwing them into a blender.

If somewhere around 800 new creatures, a plethora of new armor and weapons, and intelligent, meticulous faction overhauls aren't enough of an addition to your Oblivion game, then I'm at a loss to what would be.
Shikamaru
Troll
Posts: 26
Joined: June 11th, 2009
Location: Canada

August 4th, 2009

I disagree , FCOM is balanced . Mods not directly supported may cause imbalances . But the same will be true with WAC when completed . WAC and FCOM do approach stuff in thier respective different ways . I agree that FCOM people will keep care of the WAC for FCOM . But maybe later people will want FCOM for WAC , then that'll be your worries . I think WAC will play great with FCOM in the future . They're both wonderful mods and there is no reason to not play with both, espically easy with Wyre Bash's proifle feature . I know I am still enjoying play with my WAC charecter :)
Um, I dont know , I got nothing
User avatar
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer
Posts: 949
Joined: June 12th, 2007
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

August 4th, 2009

What people want id not Waalx's concern :P And I agree FCOM has no continuity and cohesion and it's the thing I love about WAC.
"Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos"

"why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
megazogg
Steady Sworduser
Posts: 10
Joined: August 11th, 2007

August 4th, 2009

SirNoweth wrote:I really do hate bringing up FCOM in this discussion, but consider this as another plea to do something about computability with it when the time comes (FCOM 1.0 is released, WAC is out of Alpha/Beta stage, etc.). I, too share the dream of seeing WAC in an FCOM-based game (or vice versa), and not having one take dominance over loot or monster placement. I understand you and dev might share different visions on how Oblivion should run, but I hope you two can find a way to let bygones be bygones and mix these two ideas together. I hope I'm not sounding selfish or anything, but seeing these two monster ideas (no pun intended) combined would be simply the greatest thing the Oblivion world has seen.

Once again, thanks for giving me the privilege to play this mod. Best of luck on its' future development.
Let the man (Waalx) finish his work at first. He said more then once that WAC is still in a very WIP, so any port to another overhaul mod would be useless. Personally I think that it will be always useless to do so. If you want play both mods so direly, use Bash patch feature, as it can merge level lists, so if you have two different creatures or NPCs in the same level list in different mods, bash patch will use both of them. Personally I think that WAC is much better then any other overhaul mod for Oblivion (I still like TIE too, mainly because it doesn’t use only vanilla content and was inspired by Thief series, but WAC is still better).
User avatar
Waalx
Forum Master
Posts: 1302
Joined: June 10th, 2007
Gender: Male
Born in: 1973
Location: Diani Beach, Kenya
Contact:

August 4th, 2009

Shikamaru wrote:Although I agree that my ruff draft will need revision , I feel that continuing to work on it in the pure WAC spirit is contradictary to my intail goals { Have WAC play along with FCOM } . At this stage , I simply can not make any meaningful contirbution. Balancing stats to fit WAC does not bring it any closer , but rather further away . So I'll demote myself to status of fanboy and wait.

Nothing but respect for you , WAC once done with be a truly great expirence .
alright. return to base 1 for me then...
Anja the Whisperer wrote:Now downloading RS Gladiator... Smile And I promise to read the docs. Razz

I'm not sure when I can give feedback though. I haven't done anything with Cypress House either. Real life stuff as well. Sad But, I should be able to get something done this week. Maybe finish it if I get my backside in gear.

I have to read up on in game book formatting first but it doesn't look too hard. Just time consuming.

Smile

Edit:
ROFLMAO........I can think of 13 morons....
hehe

don't worry about the mod. Could be a good thing finally as we may be able to release it with the next WAC finally.

Yep the formatting is long. I have a version of a test book for the Chronicles of Steel I made back then. It was looking already awesome in-game, but those take a lot more time to mount as they are all image based.

I'll try to see if I can find that and post the test for you folks, to see if it's worth doing or not.

megazogg wrote: Oh, new toy!!! Can't wait to see what you've done in Gladiator, Waalx! As for comments, I have some ideas, so I want to share them with you, if you don't mind.

First of all, I'd like to stop on compatibility issues of WAC with UL. If you will set UL plugins to load AFTER WAC it will minimize the conflicts and will show no land tearing at all. You can still find some of WAC stuff, like broderwatch posts and different execution devices buried into the ground a little more then they supposed to be, but this is tolerable. There is still one major conflict with UL in the area of Bandit camp north-west from Cheydinhal, because of the bandit camp placed right in the mountain steam, but then again, you can always start to imagine that bandits simply began irrigation works there. Laughing
first point is noted. thanks
Second, I've encountered Wood Witches several times and I found that their necklace is too expansive (I use Economy mod, so it costs ~ 10000 gp in my game) and it have too powerful and imo unneeded enchantment, giving them 20% resistance to magick (and they already have almost total immunity to magick via race bonus), so that if player managed to kill several of them, he can raise funds rather easy.
Wood witches gears have been made un-playable in the next version.
Also, it would be great to give them some unique clothes or armor, something not too fancy as they live in forests, but something interesting.
this is a version out of the four or five witch shirts in WAC.
They are, huh... unique, not too fancy, and somewhat interesting (in my opinion).
Some wood witches don't wear a shirt at all just belt stuff. Yet they are still unique.
Image

Besides that, I don't see the reason to make special race for them (not very lore-friendly), imo, they could be some kind of "feral" or "crazed" type of Bosmer females (taking in account Bosmer's Green Pact). But once again, it is my imo.
Their race?, well...they are a new race of WAC. I like them personally. I don't consider them necessarily lore breaking either. There are other things in WAC that would fit the bill more than them witches, or at least as much.

You probably saw more greenies than witches right? The list of lore-breaking stuff could continue... and in fact, it will :P If you want non-lore breaking stuff you're in for a hard time as even the developer themselves broke lore completely with Oblivion from the start.
Third and last, I'd like to propose to you to use "Medieval Oblivion Equipment Balance System (MOBS)" as a base for your armors and weapons, since it fixes and tweaks Oblivion's vanilla stats, making them more "realistic" (reasonable) and diverse. More ever, you will have solid base of stats, so there will be no need to invent a wheel were it doesn’t needed. Presently, stats of your weapons are sometimes quite close to stats, used in MOBS.
If you want, I can help you to migrate all of your stuff to MOBS, as I was forced to began to do so because of two little plugins one of which changes the game to take player's strength and other stats in account then calculating weapon damage, and Damar Stiehl's Diverse Races (which expands pros and cons for each race), so it is pretty easy for Nord battlemage to defeat most of enemies with his strength = 80 and Atronarch birthsign.
MOBS is not in my plan here. I have one reason for this. I use steel for almost all of RealSwords. If I follow MOBS, steel would not be enough in the long run, when in fact, it should. The thing I have in mind is to have the ability to be able to use normal weapons with still some efficiency at later levels. If I follow MOBS, steel could not do this.

Exotic materials are to be made rare in WAC. One reason is that I hate seeing glass and daedric and ebony stuff in profusion.

As for re-inventing the wheel..that's a bit what WAC is about, it's an overhaul! :) If I was to be limited by what came before then I wouldn't be able to do much, nor would it be different.
2) This mod is more inspirited on Conan and the likes then TES lore. We keep to try Waalx to follow lore a little but we can only expect so much from him. As for the Bosmer I agree but who knows nothing wrong with a witch order and then again Beth totally raped lore in TES4
It's not really that 'Conan-esque'. I'm pulling from a lot of stuff here.... BUT! I'm reading stuff on Oblivion Lore often if you wanna know! :???:
Yet, it doesn't hold my hand, if I want to do something, I'm going to do it. though on most of my stuff I always try to plug it so it will not stand out so much, I'm trying to stay in somekind of grey area.
If I start working on something I will usually read what's there to know in lore about that subject.

I try... :sad:
NoName101 wrote:Nice job on the arena. Oh and for the (For Now) after your warning.

But, anyway......The armor is awesome. I can`t wait to see the finished release. With all the awesome armor and that warning disappeared in the readme.
The warning will remain. But it will then proclaim there be another esp, one for Non-Mature gents and gentle-ladies.
When Waalx says read the readme. You really should.
I concur :deal:

:P
SirNoweth wrote:I downloaded this quite a while ago, and it's only now that I begin posting to give my first impressions because I wanted to experience as much of WAC as possible before telling you how it went.
That's one way to go :)
I really do hate bringing up FCOM in this discussion, but consider this as another plea to do something about computability with it when the time comes (FCOM 1.0 is released, WAC is out of Alpha/Beta stage, etc.). I, too share the dream of seeing WAC in an FCOM-based game (or vice versa), and not having one take dominance over loot or monster placement. I understand you and dev might share different visions on how Oblivion should run, but I hope you two can find a way to let bygones be bygones and mix these two ideas together. I hope I'm not sounding selfish or anything, but seeing these two monster ideas (no pun intended) combined would be simply the greatest thing the Oblivion world has seen.
when the time comes. That the thing in your statement. That time isn't now. It will be a hurdle though. Read the last two page of this topic to get an idea of why.

I'm not going in the FCOM direction at all with my 'plan'. Each time I add to WAC, it's destroying either something that already exist in FCOM and/or destabilize their system, or what I want is not to be because..it's already like that. I can't come and change FCOM with my new crazy ideas. I can try it with WAC though.

I have two something that none of the other guys in charge of the overhauls possess at the moment.
It's my own project, not a borrowed one. And I do my own resources. This is a bit different a situation. I'm not held to comply to an already made mod or system done by somebody else, nor to accept (because you cannot be PC and refuse) every offer to add a resources (whatever it's quality). That why I will refuse any and all offer for me to use outside resources for WAC. This way I never say no to anybody, I say no to everybody. :-o

Truth is, if I was to dig into outside resources, WAC would be too big next week.

I'm not doing WAC to make the biggest, nor to make FCOM bigger.
I now realize I'm making what is probably now the only alternative to it. So..it shouldn't be the same.
In fact it will be difficult to play together more and more anyway I'm doing it. The more I change, the more difficult it's going to be, one way or the other.

I have red goblins in WAC for example, there is one in MMM too. If you mix WAC and FCOM you get both. Now what will the FCOM team do? I have no idea. But they will have two red goblins. I could go on with other things that in my opinion I made in a better way for WAC than how it is in FCOM, however smartass this may sound I feel it's true.

This is a problem for them however, not for me. WAC have a panther, FCOM too. WAC have a leopard, FCOM too.

Now the question I ask is do you want my version or the FCOM version?

Because that would stand out, and it's a crucial question to ask. Those who want FCOM & WAC together you have to ask yourself about this as well. Several clone of a same species will exist. And that just one thing.

for example, in WAC goblins lives in predetermined locations. Black goblins are found in Forts, Brown in Mines, Green in caves, Reds are outsiders. + whites and a couple of rare races for the 7 tribes I will do. but already I have what 5 races of gobs? Some of those are repeated in FCOM as I said, but all the rest in FCOM also doesn't follow my habitat 'convention' of the goblins in WAC. Beside the fact that my gobs are also all physically different between each species.

The problem remain that it will be hard for the FCOM team to replace resources made by other users in FCOM with WAC material. It's not a very politically correct gesture toward the modder whose works are already in FCOM.

But anyway, while I personally consider FCOM to be greatly imbalanced aesthetically, adding more to the 'blender' probably will not matter much at this point. If it doesn't disturb a user like it is now, it shouldn't change much with WAC added to it.

So all in all it will remain a choice to be made by the user, for while at least. Me think.

WAC is modular though, so you can still enjoy most of it with FCOM without a lot of problem. Those parts of WAC will be further refined to cause the less possible conflict. TCOS.esp, and Overspawn.esp are conflictual and will get worse and worse. Most of the rest can be arranged to work almost flawlessly.
Once again, for giving me the privilege to play this mod. Best of luck on its' future development.
that's not a privilege, it's open to everybody who sign-up on here! thanks anyway

The privilege is mine when I receive feedback.
:)
Krimsyn Kane wrote:I know I might get quite a few people angry with this statement
that happen so much to me that I almost don't care about this anymore.

You can't please everybody, and I consider I have a right to my opinions. Even if they are negative in this polutionitically correct planet.

Nice to see you step out of the shadowy corner by the way ;)
Shikamaru wrote:I disagree , FCOM is balanced . Mods not directly supported may cause imbalances . But the same will be true with WAC when completed .
You miss the point that was just discussed I think. It's not about balance but about cohesive elements. WAC only non-cohesive elements are a matter:

of personal taste (if a user dislike an element in WAC)

or religious belief (in oblivion lore).

Otherwise it fit together. Granted everybody will disapprove about some minor things here and there in it, but overall it's built the same way by the same guy. Not the case with FCOM, MMM, or any other except TIE that use vanilla stuff. WAC can't loose this, it's actually the point of it. FCOM can't get this though. :P
WAC and FCOM do approach stuff in thier respective different ways . I agree that FCOM people will keep care of the WAC for FCOM .
I explained rather in depth up-there how I see that will be of many problems.
But maybe later people will want FCOM for WAC , then that'll be your worries .
when I will get a check from each of those people I can consider working on something I don't want to do.I don't want to sound rude, but I consider I give enough like this.
I think WAC will play great with FCOM in the future .
I disagree on that. But I'm biased. :P I'm FCOM-free*.
They're both wonderful mods and there is no reason to not play with both, espically easy with Wyre Bash's proifle feature
I don't want to imagine what kind of disaster that would make. I explained a few reasons in this post.

* I'm FCOM-free. Never got the bug. Trying MMM or OOO separately convinced me I didn't want to see that together (nor at all).

I'm the carrier of a new disease code named WAC, still lying pretty low, but it could become... a plague? Not likely.

It's kind of a masochistic activity for me to go lurk into discussions and stuff about overhauls and big mods and see that almost nobody ever mention WAC or so rarely...it's always about FCOM or MMM,....OOO. MMMMOOOOOOH!

WAC came so long after after MMM, OOO, FCOM, that everybody will continue to talk mostly only about that.

Even if I start 'advertising' WAC like crazy, it will stay kind of a 'one of a kind underdog'. You can't just merge it you have to pick things from it, otherwise when WAC is completed it will dominate FCOM on most aspect or FCOM dominate WAC on most aspect.

I'm working over the same vanilla base for WAC. That's ...well, that's all there's to it.


what a long blathering! Sorry about that.





I'd like to make a geeky announcement: I'll soon be the father of a shiny new SSD named P128. By all account, this is a real piece of technology 2009.
If you are unaware of what an SSD is, it's a Solid State Drive, a flash memory hard drive, highly faster than any regular HDD, even in RAID set-up (0 or whatever) .

If you have a very good rig, but you're not on a quality SSD as a boot drive, you should read some info about that online! More so if you are a laptop user. Although they work on desktop PC too of course.

Oblivion is a game that is huge on resources that load from the HDD, (or SSD). It figure that an SSD will just make the game scream no more when loading, as loading stuff on an SSD is almost instantaneous. Windows 7 is optimized for SSD. And after reading a lot of stuff it always stand out to be the best upgrade you can do for any computer. (unless its a server).
Read into that, if you crave speed and incredible speed. Can't wait to get it.
Will follow-up on that later about how it react with Oblivion (and Win 7).
Image
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

August 4th, 2009

:-D-) OK. I've just done a run through the Arena and I'm am SO impressed. I knew I would be of course.

I bet on the Blue Team and they WON! I only bet 50 coins and got back 100. Should have gone for the lot... :lol:

You said you already know about what needs fixing, but one thing I would like to mention is when watching a match there's a humming sound along with the cheering from the spectators. It's like another soundtrack is trying to play behind it. Or one of the sounds isn't playing correctly. However, when competing everything is fine sound wise.
Maybe it was just a glitch. I'll go back later and check.

I have a couple of screen shots of the Blue Team match, then I realized Photobucket don't like nude pics so I'll have to look for another image host...preferably without ads like Image Shack. And can I post them here anyway? They aren't close up.. :lol:

I fought one match at level 6 and was a bit hard pressed to win with the puny little Pit Dog sword...:shock: But, I prevailed with a bit of magic help. They don't like fire much! You really have to be on your toes because if you give them a chance to heal themselves it can get really hairy.

I use HGEC EBE ( no giant boobs) and Robert's Male Body Replacer so the combatants look great. I don't know how that worked with the Amazon with the missing breast and the plump people but it did. I haven't unpacked the BSA so I'm assuming there are no body meshes added except for the two I mentioned.

All I can say is this is what the Arena should have been. A real gladiator fight. Kudos!

Oh and I'm back on the job with the house. I've had a few more ideas and changed some I PM'ed you about, but it shouldn't hold things up any longer than it would have anyway.
Any ideas what I can use for a bird cage? One bird that will be a pet. It goes with the story.
I know they don't fly as such but that's OK. It will be like my Impling mod.
User avatar
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer
Posts: 949
Joined: June 12th, 2007
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

August 4th, 2009

Good post Waalx and yes SSDs are awesome. SSDs kids, no STDs :P

@Anja: If you don't mind having no album (I think it has none) Try bayimg.com Totally free and 300MB imagesize limit.
"Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos"

"why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
User avatar
Waalx
Forum Master
Posts: 1302
Joined: June 10th, 2007
Gender: Male
Born in: 1973
Location: Diani Beach, Kenya
Contact:

August 4th, 2009

Anja The Whisperer wrote::-D-) OK. I've just done a run through the Arena and I'm am SO impressed. I knew I would be of course.

I bet on the Blue Team and they WON! I only bet 50 coins and got back 100. Should have gone for the lot... :lol:
betting in vanilla is somewhat rigged to your luck attribute. With my mod the luck level become irrelevant as the winner could still loose the match (as do you in the Arena). Even if a match is won the combattant that kill his adversary will most of the time not be in an empty ring already.
Betting in the arena I've seen matches where it was actually one of the condemned that survived (the whole match), or a beast. Typically the Challengers will not attack the player, and will also yield. Challengers are only red as of now, later yellow and blue challengers will perhaps join the matches, depending on the match spawn.


You said you already know about what needs fixing, but one thing I would like to mention is when watching a match there's a humming sound along with the cheering from the spectators. It's like another soundtrack is trying to play behind it. Or one of the sounds isn't playing correctly. However, when competing everything is fine sound wise.
Maybe it was just a glitch. I'll go back later and check.
It could be another sound spot I placed in the boot section. I will check this.
I have a couple of screen shots of the Blue Team match, then I realized Photobucket don't like nude pics so I'll have to look for another image host...preferably without ads like Image Shack. And can I post them here anyway? They aren't close up.. :lol:
you can email me the images and I'll have them on the server here. waalx@yahoo.com
I fought one match at level 6 and was a bit hard pressed to win with the puny little Pit Dog sword...:shock: But, I prevailed with a bit of magic help. They don't like fire much! You really have to be on your toes because if you give them a chance to heal themselves it can get really hairy.
The weapons in front of Flavius unlock as you progress in rank. move your cursor over them to see what weapon are available to your rank. they should be better than the pit dog sword (which is more a symbolic weapon actually! :) ..I don't think I balance the arena weapons yet though.
I use HGEC EBE ( no giant boobs) and Robert's Male Body Replacer so the combatants look great. I don't know how that worked with the Amazon with the missing breast and the plump people but it did. I haven't unpacked the BSA so I'm assuming there are no body meshes added except for the two I mentioned.
what you see in the Arena as 'Arena Condemned' and the Amazons use a modified version of Roberts (males and females). Many color maps for the races are new as well. All the roberts bodies I used as a based are not races but costumes in fact. The skin textures I made for it is also independent.

The rest of it (like the armors) is all on vanilla bodies though. Not sure how it goes with an install that have body mods as this whole mods have armors that are half-skin.
All I can say is this is what the Arena should have been. A real gladiator fight. Kudos!
thanks
Oh and I'm back on the job with the house. I've had a few more ideas and changed some I PM'ed you about, but it shouldn't hold things up any longer than it would have anyway.
no problem
Any ideas what I can use for a bird cage? One bird that will be a pet. It goes with the story.
I know they don't fly as such but that's OK. It will be like my Impling mod.
yes I can see for a cage. However, caged imps have a tendency of not staying in they cage when you load a cell they appear most often than not 'out' of the cage. I tried that a lot.

One of the goblin chief tent in one of the camps have a cage with imps in WAC. Sometimes the imps don't spawn in the cage, sometimes they does. Maybe if you place just one if could help, but I think I tried that as well.
Image
Shikamaru
Troll
Posts: 26
Joined: June 11th, 2009
Location: Canada

August 4th, 2009

I look at waalx stuff and see variety , not every cheetah or moutain lion should look the same .

About the wyre bash profile . I meant swicthing between mod load orders . Have one charecter that plays pure FCOM and one charecter that play pure WAC , nothing wrong with that . :-o
I'm all for WAC and I'm maintaining a WAC charecter he's level 10 already :) Having a blast! I play about equal time on both my charecters . But it's a little annoying to se every page someone poast " Boo FCOM :P " .
Any ways , Let's focus on the beautiful things of WAC rather then the illogical bashing of other overhauls :P
Um, I dont know , I got nothing
User avatar
Krimsyn Kane
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Posts: 77
Joined: October 3rd, 2007
Location: Austin, TX

August 4th, 2009

Shikamaru wrote:Any ways , Let's focus on the beautiful things of WAC rather then the illogical bashing of other overhauls :P
Agreed and well said, we were kind of getting off topic.
stoos
Fumbling Sworduser
Posts: 1
Joined: August 3rd, 2009

August 4th, 2009

SirNoweth wrote: Although they modify Oblivion in similar ways, they're about as opposite as two overhauls can be. FCOM takes content made by many different people, from many different mods, and jumbles them all together. There's no continuity, or cohesion to it. It's a mess.

There are plenty of really awesome swords, or bits of armor, or cool creatures that FCOM adds to the game but without the same level of quality and consistency added by WAC it's like taking 10 of your favorite foods, which are all great on there own, but then throwing them into a blender.
This is my reasoning for not combining them. It's also one of the main reasons why I never downloaded FCOM in the first place. I'm still downloading the WAC so will let post my impressions of it when I get everything installed. I haven't actually played Oblivion in over six months, so I will be doing a fresh install with hardly any mods.
User avatar
StarX
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand
Posts: 152
Joined: June 10th, 2007
Location: Amsterdam, NL

August 4th, 2009

I agree the FCOM bashing gets a bit out of hand. And let's not forget that even FCOM is still in Beta. I'm still listed on the FCOM team, even though I didn't do anything at all for more than a year. I helped out on WAC as well, so I'm probably less biased than most people.

It's easy to belittle something and it's easily overlooked how many hours of work were put in by various people (but mainly dev_akm) to throw all these big overhauls in one mix and blend it into something balanced and offering hours of entertainment for thousands of Oblivion players.

That said I also found that FCOM (and MMM) became too big in the end, so I settled for the OOO-MMM set up. OOO is an overhaul I will always cherish and anyone who has ever read the walls of text from Sotobrastos (OOO's creator) can only admire the philosophy at work behind his mod. And if any mod has shown that using the work from various resources can still deliver a concistent world than it has to be OOO in my opinion.

Now that WAC is on it's way it could very well replace OOO as my favorite overhaul. In terms of delivering materialistic content (weapons,armor and the amazing creatures) it's already number one in my book, but there's still tons of work to do on balancing things out, which is by no means an easy task. Because balancing involves prices, armor ratings, weapon stats, placement of spawns, loot handling, leveled lists, level scaling etc. In other words: a lot!
I can only admire the bucketload of work that has been done by Alex, as well as sticking to his own vision of how the game should be, while keeping an open mind towards suggestions and advice.

Right now I'm playing WAC, with a bunch of realism and quest mods and having a blast. Not that I have to much time to play as my own modding work also demands attention.
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

August 5th, 2009

Shikamaru wrote:I look at waalx stuff and see variety , not every cheetah or moutain lion should look the same .

About the wyre bash profile . I meant swicthing between mod load orders . Have one charecter that plays pure FCOM and one charecter that play pure WAC , nothing wrong with that . :-o
I'm all for WAC and I'm maintaining a WAC charecter he's level 10 already :) Having a blast! I play about equal time on both my charecters . But it's a little annoying to se every page someone poast " Boo FCOM :P " .
Any ways , Let's focus on the beautiful things of WAC rather then the illogical bashing of other overhauls :P
I agree. I have profiles for OOO+MMM and for WAC installs. I've been a follower of both OOO and MMM since they first appeared and will continue to play them. I never got around to FCOM because my system at the time wouldn't have coped with it and now I just don't have the time to set it up. OOO at least will always be in my game with characters that play only with that profile. It is the mod that kept me playing the game when I almost gave up on it because of the leveling system among other things, so I feel a lot of loyalty to it and Sotobrastos and later dev_akm and team.

The same goes for MMM, Martigen and corepc and the current team. Both mods revolutionized the game in ways that keep people playing to this day and now WAC will take it even further. I never really got into Fran's Overhaul to the same extent but it also had a part in keeping the game of Oblivion from being forgotten in time like many others that don't meet expectations.

There's no reason not to play both with different mod setups and have the best of both worlds. I have something like five characters at different levels with different mods, races, weapons etc etc. Switching between them is easy.

I can't really see the reason for the comparisons (bashing) between these mods when if realism is spoken about there are many other mods and styles of play that I just wouldn't consider that have nothing at all to do with the original concept.

My preference now is for WAC for the same reasons StarX mentions. It makes the world more vibrant and alive with realism which is my style of play. Not everything wants to kill you, and that in itself is more real than the vanilla game.

It's a bit like Bethesda made an empty palette for modders to fill and WAC does that with the scope of it's wildlife, new NPC's, weapons and armour...plus much, much more.
reallybigjohnson
Steady Sworduser
Posts: 14
Joined: June 12th, 2009

August 5th, 2009

FCOM is a great mod for people who like tons of stuff in their game world and i used it for a while, for me it just got to be a bit to much. you couldnt take ten steps without running into bad guys all the time. in the end it actually made the game world seem smaller since there was no "openness" for lack of a better word. prior to using WAC i was really enjoying TIE (actually im still running TIE i just run it early in the load order). i cant fathom bashing FCOM simply because alot of people have dedicated alot of time and talent into making a massive overhaul even if it isnt to my taste. its the same way with alot of the bikini armors that come out. yeah i laugh when i see them and wouldnt dream of using such ridiculous looking armor, but i have to admit that from a purely technical point of view they are very detailed textures and meshes and wish i could do work like that. :)

as for mobsifying i completely agree that you should do something new...........i ended up changing all the damages in my MOBS esp simply because its stupid to have steel weapons doing almost no damage compared to other weapons yet the mighty empire has all their soldiers equipped with.......gasp.....steel weapons....what?.

i evened out the damage for all of the weapons giving a small boost to damage for ebony and daedric but making them slightly slower. i gave glass slightly less damage but made them a bit quicker. it has made a huge improvement in gameplay since even run of the mill bandits that used to be nothing more than gnats to me are now a danger with their iron or steel weapons if they attack in groups because their weapons do almost as much damage as my modded sword. i would highly suggest everyone do this as it greatly increases the danger and realism of the game world. :)
megazogg
Steady Sworduser
Posts: 10
Joined: August 11th, 2007

August 5th, 2009

IMO the best two things in WAC are great looking (and also "realistic" looking) "loot" and great variety of creatures and NPCs in every encounter.
Last two TES games stood apart from the "mainstream" RPG standarts, set mainly by Bioware in the end of 90s. While Bioware-enspired games give you an intence and interesting storylines, their gameplay was rather narrow (then you will finish the main quest and all side quests there will be no reason to continue playing the game) and TES was always more focused on exploring and freeplay. WAC enchance this feature greatly. And WAC don't have various anime armor, clothes, huge boobs, fance underwear and such, which also great...
Post Reply