Cypress House Beta

Download and read about WAC Beta v0.1
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

CYPRESS HOUSE- a plugin for WAC by Maigrets. (Anja)

This is a module I've been working on for some time and is the biggest thing I've ever done. It started out as a simple house and companion plugin, but has evolved into something more due to suggestions from Waalx. It's been a learning curve in places, but I've learned a lot in the meantime.

It's now complete as far as I can take it, but I can't officially release it until the next version of WAC is ready. Waalx has made a number of extra files for this plugin which will need to be added to the next ESM and BSA.

However, if anyone is interested in having a preview I would appreciate some feedback. Just keep in mind that the extra files will need to be removed when WAC is updated if, of course you wish to continue to use this mod. I've sent the link to Waalx as well.

***Please note these extra meshes and textures fall under the same rules as WAC and must not be used for other projects without permission from Waalx. The texts written by me are not to be used anywhere for any reason without asking me first.***

LINK:
Removed.

***I don't think it matters where this is loaded as long as it's after the WAC esp, although I have it last mainly because I've been working on it.

I also want to thank "washington" and "kschenk" for helping with scripts. However, that portion of the mod has changed and those scripts are not used now.
Thanks to Waalx for making the extra files and offering suggestions for this plugin, even when I kept changing my mind about the story etc, etc. Especially since this wasn't the original intention.

SOME DETAILS:

WARNING - Here comes one of my usual essays when describing my mods. There is no Readme with this file though. I'll write a proper one when the time comes. There is a screen shot of the location included but the quest will show it anyway.

1. You will receive an initial quest message on loading the game with this plugin enabled and another when you attempt to enter the house. The map marker is disabled, but visible, so you have to go there before fast travel is enabled. From then on the player has to discover everything for themselves. No clues are given and the local map won't help you. Look carefully at everything and everywhere.

2. There are a number of books and notes which tell the story of the events that have happened in the past and a couple of which will affect you. If anyone has comments regarding grammar and consistency of the story I would be happy to hear them. After all, I know what's going on, but the player doesn't, so I need to make sure it all becomes clear at the end.
There is currently one book without text as yet, and I may need to add another depending on how further developments with the story. These are the Cypress House Journals.

NOTE: This is a horror story and will be under revision until I can properly release the mod. So some things may change...again...but only in the texts not the mod content itself.

3. There are three animal companions, two of which can be used from the start after you arrive at the house. One may wander up the hill or behind the house as soon as you arrive in the cell.. Just look around, he shouldn't be far away. The last will appear later on. Other creatures also live in the house, but are not companions. One of them can be activated though.

Notes on my companion system:
* I don't use menus for my creatures and never will as anyone who uses my other released mods already knows.

* They have good AI and will not get stuck or lost, except maybe in some small corridors in dungeons as many other companions do. This is usually in Ayleid ruins with very small corridors, however if they do get stuck in a wall they will free themselves and teleport to you.

* There are some doors they will not follow through. These are usually quest related. Otherwise, they will open doors on their own (not loading doors) and will follow properly on fast travel. They have an Intelligence of at least 30 to enable this, otherwise companions will not follow through doors and can be problematic on fast travel with low Intelligence. This also helps with climbing stairs, although some stairs are still too big for them to climb so they will also teleport to you if they get stuck on them. An example is the IC Waterfront. It seems a bit odd to me that a medium sized dog or big cat can't climb any size stair, but that's how the game works as far as I know.

I haven't tested them with Oblivion Gates because I don't do the Main Quest any more and I loathe OB Gates for their lack of variety etc. If in doubt, tell the companions to Wait before entering, Summon them to you and activate them to follow. Do the same before exiting the Gate. Obviously they have no inventory to worry about so they can't be reset.

* When Activating them the first time you will receive a Summon spell just in case of the above rare situation or if you've left them somewhere and want them with you. This also motivates them to follow you. Activate again to Wander and wait for you and visa versa. In Follow mode they will take care of their own AI and in Wander mode they will wander the area until you need them again. They have a fairly wide Wander range so if you can't find them use the Summon Spell. They will defend themselves if attacked while waiting in a non safe area.

* They have a sneak component in their script so if you sneak, so do they, although, of course you won't see them actually sneaking and I don't add Chameleon for effect.
If you sneak in a dungeon, for example, you won't be detected because of the companion and they will not attack, UNTIL you are detected, so a lot depends on your own sneak skill. If you're not sneaking they will attack as normal.

* They are Player Owned (except one in this mod, so be careful. It's for a reason) and in the Player faction, so will not attack friends or yourself. If you attack guards or other normally friendly or neutral NPC's they will defend you though. Each has their own Healing Ability, but is not overpowered. They can still be knocked unconscious easily. They are also Essential because I don't see the sense in having a mortal companion that is killed on the first lethal encounter. One has a nasty touch spell for defense and they all have Resist Magic and Resist Poison.
I did this because I've found that some poisons and spells (weapon enchantments) can permanently damage their stats and cannot be fixed without disabling the mod, making a clean save and reactivating it.
An example is when one of my other companions was hit with a sword with Damage Speed a few times so that he started to run as through molasses. (This has happened with other mods, not just WAC.) I had to reboot the mod to fix it and added the resistances after that happened. They are now 100% resistances, but this is offset by their lower healing ability.
The poisons in WAC are pretty strong so I have made them fully protected against poison and magic, especially since this mod also adds a house. You don't want to have to remove all your stored gear and have to do it all over again. I know I wouldn't.

* I've had trouble with the custom sounds for one companion and there is an extra file included but not used at the moment. I'll keep fiddling with it to see if I can get it working properly. The custom Idle wants to overlap the Aware sounds so they both play at the same time.

4. All pathing has been adjusted inside and outside the house and surrounding area and should be fine for NPC companions. I don't use any so I haven't tested this either.

5. There may be a slight incompatibility with Unique Landscapes in the area. I had to raise and lower some of the terrain land between and around the house and the boatshed. I also don't use the UL mods so I can't make patches. (Don't get a lot of time to actually play so haven't tried them yet.) I also moved some rocks out of the way.

6. I use Qarl's Texture Pack 3 Redimized so some textures may look different in my screen shots than in your game.

7. Certain Enchantments and spells may need adjusting. My imagination lacks a bit here. Maybe under or overpowered??? :-o

8. All containers and cupboards etc are safe and will not respawn EXCEPT for the food (Pantry) and drink (Beverage) storage cupboards. I have pre-stocked them and others for you. If in doubt put an item you don't care about in a container, wait for however many days your respawn is set to, default 3 days, and see if the item is still there. I have checked numerous times to make sure though. All containers in the stable and boatshed WILL respawn.

9. One particular issue for lower end systems may be some of the lighting. I've made a few adjustments, but if anyone has a problem let me know and I'll see if I can do something more to reduce it. I prefer real lights to the fake ones though and there is an inbuilt solution which should help.

EDITS made to this post re testing. It's not ready now and have to make some changes.

EDIT: New images as of April 24 2011. No spoilers :cheese:

:-) Thanks, Maigrets :-)
Hellbishop
Initiated Swordwielder
Initiated Swordwielder

Great work Anja The Whisperer :) And those companions look like a viscious bunch when riled up. Love the look of the house which fits in perfectly with the setting of Cyrodiil and has its own personality. Makes me wonder if theres more to it then meets the eye. Thanks for the stunning work of modding artistry! :celebrate:
Maigrets
Admin

Hellbishop wrote:Great work Anja The Whisperer :) And those companions look like a viscious bunch when riled up. Love the look of the house which fits in perfectly with the setting of Cyrodiil and has its own personality. Makes me wonder if theres more to it then meets the eye. Thanks for the stunning work of modding artistry! :celebrate:
Thanks Hellbishop, :)

Yes, there definitely is more to it than an innocent looking house. Ahem... :twisted:
One just has to find what and where that is which probably won't be that hard. :lol:
Haruko
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand

looks nice Anja, I'll have to try it out when I'm ready for WAC to be far enough along that I don't think I'll have to start over to play lol.
It's a pally thing, you wouldn't understand.
http://gamercard.xbox.com/Haruko%20Hoshiko.card
Maigrets
Admin

I've removed the download link for now until I get around to finishing it and am able to release it properly with the next version of WAC.
Either that or I'll revert it to what I originally intended which was a house and companion mod only. Or have two versions.

Since I've had no feedback and no idea if anyone has actually played it, I guess the content is either objectionable or not up to par. :sad:

If anyone would like to still preview it please PM me and I'll give you the link. It's fully playable and can be removed afterwards like any other mod without affecting saves. It's just the last part may not make sense, (or be entirely predictable), without the last books finished.

Thank you to the people who took the time to download it. :)
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

Till the next version of WAC I don't even have Oblivion installed on this PC so no testing.
"Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos"

"why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
Maigrets
Admin

OK. I've re-added a link. :)

All that will be necessary is a new esp when I've finished with it, so until there's some news about the next version of WAC there's not much else I can do.

It's there if anyone wants it and in the meantime I'll move on to something else (non WAC related) that needs finishing. :)
Ailsa
Enthralled Swordraver
Enthralled Swordraver
Born in: 1955

I've been coveting this for some time, and today I have downloaded it 8-) . Thank you and I look forward to exploring.
vae victus dominus
Fumbling Sworduser

Hello! I just started going through Cypress House and I am liking it very much so far. I'm stuck at the moment I think, but I'm missing something in the crypt. Take a look.

http://tesnexus.com/imageshare/image.php?id=45621
Maigrets
Admin

vae victus dominus wrote:Hello! I just started going through Cypress House and I am liking it very much so far. I'm stuck at the moment I think, but I'm missing something in the crypt. Take a look.

Well there you go, I did miss something. :) Thanks for pointing it out. Much appreciated.

I can't get Tesnexus to load at the moment. It keeps timing out, but I'm pretty sure this is what's missing after looking through the Beta files.

It should be at the back of the crypt on a stone plate.

Link Removed

Just do the usual...add to the data folder and they'll go to the right place.
vae victus dominus
Fumbling Sworduser

Anja The Whisperer wrote:
vae victus dominus wrote:Hello! I just started going through Cypress House and I am liking it very much so far. I'm stuck at the moment I think, but I'm missing something in the crypt. Take a look.

Well there you go, I did miss something. :) Thanks for pointing it out. Much appreciated.

I can't get Tesnexus to load at the moment. It keeps timing out, but I'm pretty sure this is what's missing after looking through the Beta files.

It should be at the back of the crypt on a stone plate.

http://rapidshare.com/files/301642010/C ... _Dagger.7z

Just do the usual...add to the data folder and they'll go to the right place.
spoiler:
Thank you very much! That was the problem. I was in for a surprise after that, lol :-D-) I enjoyed this very much. I really liked the writing, which I may have stated already. I didn't see any grammar issues and I'm usually pretty keen on it. My only input has to do with the raven partner and I don't know if this is even possible. It definitely needs some texture work and, if I remember correctly, eyes. I think you made mention of this in your post though. Is there a way to get the raven to pirch on the player or surroundings? I realize this would take some work and may not be the focus of your project here, but I'll just toss it out there. Also, it'd be great to see it land on a corpse and pick at it a bit. :D Maybe an animator would have an interest in this. I really like the way your pet companion system works, it's really nice and simple and they are very low maintenance which is sooo nice. The storyline unraveled well I thought. As I read through the clues and books, it began to make more and more sense. I'd like the battle with the Keeper to be a bit more "epic". I gave him a mortal wound but the raccoon(?) down there finished him off! My clvl was 21 using fcom w/ oblivion xp which will not be standard for everyone I realize. Sorry this is very fragmented but I'm in a rush. I would love to see the keepers domain(?) with the various family members. I remember reading a part in the journal in the basment I think about the writer seeing something in the book when he looked in, and thought that would be cool to see somehow. The imagery created in the writing was good though, but I have a very vivid imagination. Ok sorry!
Cheers!
Maigrets
Admin

spoiler:
Thank you very much! That was the problem. I was in for a surprise after that, lol :-D-) I enjoyed this very much. I really liked the writing, which I may have stated already. I didn't see any grammar issues and I'm usually pretty keen on it. My only input has to do with the raven partner and I don't know if this is even possible. It definitely needs some texture work and, if I remember correctly, eyes. I think you made mention of this in your post though. Is there a way to get the raven to pirch on the player or surroundings? I realize this would take some work and may not be the focus of your project here, but I'll just toss it out there. Also, it'd be great to see it land on a corpse and pick at it a bit. :D Maybe an animator would have an interest in this. I really like the way your pet companion system works, it's really nice and simple and they are very low maintenance which is sooo nice. The storyline unraveled well I thought. As I read through the clues and books, it began to make more and more sense. I'd like the battle with the Keeper to be a bit more "epic". I gave him a mortal wound but the raccoon(?) down there finished him off! My clvl was 21 using fcom w/ oblivion xp which will not be standard for everyone I realize. Sorry this is very fragmented but I'm in a rush. I would love to see the keepers domain(?) with the various family members. I remember reading a part in the journal in the basment I think about the writer seeing something in the book when he looked in, and thought that would be cool to see somehow. The imagery created in the writing was good though, but I have a very vivid imagination. Ok sorry!
Cheers!
Thanks for the feedback vae victus dominus. :) Much appreciated. I'll keep in mind what you've said for the future.

I've moved on to other projects and will be doing a stand alone version of Cypress House possibly using the same story in a different way.

This thread can be closed by a moderator.

Thanks.
Maigrets
Admin

Well, I'm going to necro my own topic here, but I decided to start work again on this mod. I thought I'd lost everything related to it in a hard drive crash last year, but luckily Alex had a copy and sent it to me. thanks

I must be having a memory glitch though because I thought I'd done something different in the crypt involving two ravens and a witch, but I can't remember now if that was before or after what I have now. Not that it matters at the moment.

Anyway, I am so :angry: . I got all enthusiastic tonight and loaded the house in the CS. Everything seemed to be fine when I loaded every cell and all objects etc were present and correct. So, I exit and go in game to test and every mesh related to WAC files is missing with the big WTF missing mesh icon.

Then I load WAC esm on it's own and check through the items and creatures and no meshes from the BSA will show up in item, NPC or creature forms unless I have them in my data folders, not the BSA, as I do for some of my personal companions I've made, and files from other mods, of course.

For some stupid reason the CS won't load any meshes from WAC or any mod with a BSA. If I select a model in a form it gives me an error saying they don't exist or have been removed. Oblivion vanilla models show up of course.

I spent hours researching on the Net and can't find any solution. I deleted the CS ini and made a new one. Same problem. Archive Invalidation is fine and working.

I should mention in game WAC and other mods using BSA's work fine, except for Cypress House. However, I did test it with a vanilla character and also found that my newest Pixie mod had invisible pixies. But, if I load my normal game with my great heap of mods they show up fine.

It's like some kind of Twilight Zone thing. ;-(( I don't know how to fix it and I'm really, really :???:. This is the first time I've loaded the actual WAC esm since the Beta release and I don't normally bother with other mod bsa's, so I don't know how long this has been going on.

If some bright spark reads this and has some ideas I'd be eternally grateful. Tomorrow I'll uninstall and reinstall the CS and see if it makes any difference. Too early in the morning at the moment.
One thing I just thought of is I have an alternate version of the CS for Nehrim, but normally that doesn't interfere. However, I haven't loaded any BSA's since I did that so just maybe if I uninstall that as well....

I really wanted to take some more screen shots and put them back in the OP because I lost them as well, but a house full of WTF icons wouldn't be very pretty. :hang:
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Waalx
Forum Master
Born in: 1973

Maigrets wrote:Well, I'm going to necro my own topic here, but I decided to start work again on this mod. I thought I'd lost everything related to it in a hard drive crash last year, but luckily Alex had a copy and sent it to me. thanks

I must be having a memory glitch though because I thought I'd done something different in the crypt involving two ravens and a witch, but I can't remember now if that was before or after what I have now. Not that it matters at the moment.

Anyway, I am so :angry: . I got all enthusiastic tonight and loaded the house in the CS. Everything seemed to be fine when I loaded every cell and all objects etc were present and correct. So, I exit and go in game to test and every mesh related to WAC files is missing with the big WTF missing mesh icon.

Then I load WAC esm on it's own and check through the items and creatures and no meshes from the BSA will show up in item, NPC or creature forms unless I have them in my data folders, not the BSA, as I do for some of my personal companions I've made, and files from other mods, of course.

For some stupid reason the CS won't load any meshes from WAC or any mod with a BSA. If I select a model in a form it gives me an error saying they don't exist or have been removed. Oblivion vanilla models show up of course.

I spent hours researching on the Net and can't find any solution. I deleted the CS ini and made a new one. Same problem. Archive Invalidation is fine and working.

I should mention in game WAC and other mods using BSA's work fine, except for Cypress House. However, I did test it with a vanilla character and also found that my newest Pixie mod had invisible pixies. But, if I load my normal game with my great heap of mods they show up fine.

It's like some kind of Twilight Zone thing. ;-(( I don't know how to fix it and I'm really, really :???:. This is the first time I've loaded the actual WAC esm since the Beta release and I don't normally bother with other mod bsa's, so I don't know how long this has been going on.

If some bright spark reads this and has some ideas I'd be eternally grateful. Tomorrow I'll uninstall and reinstall the CS and see if it makes any difference. Too early in the morning at the moment.
One thing I just thought of is I have an alternate version of the CS for Nehrim, but normally that doesn't interfere. However, I haven't loaded any BSA's since I did that so just maybe if I uninstall that as well....

I really wanted to take some more screen shots and put them back in the OP because I lost them as well, but a house full of WTF icons wouldn't be very pretty. :hang:
Before I sent you the mod back, I tested it on my own rig and everything was where it should be. I played the story and got to the end of it too...so at least here it work. I didn't had any missing mesh icons.

I'm not sure what your problem can be. Did you add WAC.bsa to your CS .ini? Maybe that could help. (WAC.bsa isn't registered in my own CS .ini, but that could help...who knows?).
Maigrets
Admin

Before I sent you the mod back, I tested it on my own rig and everything was where it should be. I played the story and got to the end of it too...so at least here it work. I didn't had any missing mesh icons.

I'm not sure what your problem can be. Did you add WAC.bsa to your CS .ini? Maybe that could help. (WAC.bsa isn't registered in my own CS .ini, but that could help...who knows?).

No, I didn't add WAC.bsa to the ini but I did think of it. I've never had to do that before for any mod with BSA's except for Francesco's overhaul when I was using it with FCOM. I also never had this problem before with the Alpha version of WAC, although this is happening with all mods with BSA's not just WAC.

I tested Cypress House on a pure vanilla character I use for testing all my mods, with WAC.esm only enabled and had the problem. The same thing as with the Pixies and pure vanilla. As far as the Pixies go as far as I can see I've included all the files. This kind of crap also happened with my Tiamat the Firedrake mod using files from MMM, which is why I haven't re-uploaded it anywhere, so who knows. :think:

I didn't try Cypress House in game with my main characters though and it would probably work, so I'll do that later today. Since the House is dependent on WAC I guess it shouldn't be a problem then for anyone who might try it.

In game isn't a problem for me if it works with my main characters and all my other mods, but I can't edit the mod in the CS at the moment, which is the main issue. :sad:

Oh well, I'll see what I can find out. I can't find any info about this anywhere on the Net which is frustrating.

The other thing I could do is just extract the WAC bsa to my data folder removing the bsa, and use the files that way, but how that would work for users I don't know.

As a side note: While I was playing (with all the missing mesh icons..lol) I noticed the creatures in the crypt seemed to be immortal, or at least nothing I did seemed to hurt them, so I've also altered their stats a bit. Especially the canines. It seems I made them Essential which was dumb, so I changed that to respawn because I wanted them to remain after but not aggressive to the player.

Having played through it I don't think there's actually a lot I would change. After all this time and not seeing it, it's not too bad if I say so myself considering I had to learn a lot of things on the fly. The biggest thing I need to get off my behind and finish is the books and thankfully, I got those texts back via the CS.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Maigrets
Admin

OK. Long story cut short....(ish) :)

I reinstalled the CS and got it working as long as I use an established character. It doesn't seem to like my vanilla test one.

The version of the mod I have is a different one than I last made as it had a starting quest, other notes and items, and different end sequence, but as it turns out this is working fine for that part so I'll leave it as is except for a small change. I will have to recreate the quest, "ugh." I hate quest making.

There's also an issue with several of the creatures in that they still want to pick their models from my data\meshes\creatures folder instead of the BSA, so I'll also have to recreate them as well as a certain important activator so they use models that are now included in the BSA and not my data folders.

There are some other changes I want to make now I've been able to play through it properly as well as polish it a bit more.

By the way, this is a rustic house built by the main character in the House History books for a specific reason, so there won't be all the mod cons of other house mods and no spellmaking or enchanting stations etc either. They don't fit with my storyline and are unnecessary for this purpose. The house is quite functional as a player house once certain things are completed though as that's how it's meant to be.
washington
Enthusiast Swordbarer
Enthusiast Swordbarer

"I tested Cypress House on a pure vanilla character I use for testing all my mods, with WAC.esm only enabled and had the problem."

Here's your problem. Read the Note here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=314

In short, if you have MOD.bsa the game won't recognise it unless MOD.esp is active.
MOD.esp can activate any MOD - something.bsa, MOD - somethingelse.bsa, etc.

For CS work, I recommend using CS Extender because it has some advantages like auto recognising bsa archives..

I hope this helps.
Maigrets
Admin

Thanks for the input, Washington.

As I said, I got it to work and with the relevant files enabled. It's been a long time, a couple of years in fact since I worked on this mod, or any mod that's dependent on an esm and I had a mental glitch that day. Plus, I wasn't feeling so well. I should have put it aside until the next day instead of getting annoyed with it and myself.

As I already mentioned, because of a hard drive failure I lost the almost finished version of this mod with the quest, several differences to the ending and other things I'll have to recreate. Some of the things in the version I have back I don't even remember adding, it's been so long ( couple of years almost.) However, at least I got some of it back. I thought it was gone for good.
For CS work, I recommend using CS Extender because it has some advantages like auto recognising bsa archives..
Thanks for the recommendation, but after I finish Cypress House I doubt I'll be making anything else for release. I'll just continue to make things for my personal use.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

I do not make any mods...yet, who knows what the future holds. :)

But i have CSE installed as well, no more annoying pop ups they now are shown in a console in the CS. Searching for things has been improved, so that ones you found it in the search results you can double click it to open up that item. There is much more of course but i have not gotten that far yet. :)