Specializing WAC

Download and read about WAC Beta v0.1
ziitch
Unsteady Sworduser
Born in: 1989

Hello! I like the concept of WAC and all, especially the armors, but not necessarily some of the weirder creatures that come with the mod (I did like the wolf creature pic!). So I'm wondering, will there be MMM-style "no <creature type>" ESPs that can be merged into the Bashed Patch to omit things I don't want, or will this just have to be a personal TES4Edit hackjob?

PS - I do have a small idea for a new creature though, if it doesn't exist in WAC yet: Rat Mages! Basically upright-standing giant rats wearing robes and hoods (with holes for their ears), and casting magic.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Personally i do want to see all creatures from it, but you might want to take a look at this mod on the Beth forums. (If you have not already. :) ) I think it has a possibility to exclude creatures.

DLL Dynamic Leveled List
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

At the moment WAC is an overhaul in it's own right just as MMM and OOO and other overhauls are. Those two mods were originally made as their own entities by their respective original authors, and not meant to be compatible with each other until much later when compatibility patches were made. The modders who keep them alive and updated now then started to collaborate so they could be used together.

You're welcome to make your own edits though until and if anything changes. :) Or you could take Fessels advice as well.
but not necessarily some of the weirder creatures that come with the mod
lol...I don't see any of WAC creatures being any weirder than say...creatures in MMM or any other mods that adds custom creatures. I'm not picking on MMM be any means as I used it myself for years with great enjoyment, but are Beholders or some of the other creatures copied from other games or other sources less weird than WAC critters? Everyone's fantasy is different.

I don't see the logic here.. huh
PS - I do have a small idea for a new creature though, if it doesn't exist in WAC yet: Rat Mages! Basically upright-standing giant rats wearing robes and hoods (with holes for their ears), and casting magic
Gnolls are pretty close to what you're describing, except they don't cast magic as far as I remember or at least I don't think I've seen one use magic.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Maigrets wrote:Gnolls are pretty close to what you're describing, except they don't cast magic as far as I remember or at least I don't think I've seen one use magic.
Neither have i, they always just charge in to bash you chars brain. :)
ziitch
Unsteady Sworduser
Born in: 1989

Gnolls look great, they are probably the best-fitting creatures from the mod since they don't seem to be a Beth mesh that's been edited and it's obvious looking at it. (sorry Waalx!) However my rat mage idea is based upon a boss from another game. I don't know how many of you would know what King of the Rats from Secret of Evermore looked like, but his appearance is similar to my rat mage idea:
Substitute the bag of alchemical ingredients for a staff and use Beth meshes as a base and should get the idea.

Also... Greenies and Smurfs? I would say that they are definitely different compared to some of the MMM creatures. Although, to be honest I played MMM with most of the no creature esps loaded, as I was fine with most of the creatures from the vanilla game and got it mostly for the wildlife and some of the expanded enemy types (for example some skeletons wearing pieces of armor instead of just being a bunch of bones...)

Sadly I'll probably cut out most of the WAC content in my load... A lot of creatures that are from a savannah or desert biome would be nice in Elswyr, but I don't have that mod installed and since there's really nothing that would qualify as a savannah in Cyrodiil I'll have to omit them. Could you blame me for just wanting creatures that properly correspond with the biome they are in?

Although separating out WAC a bit further would be nice. Something like....

WAC - Goblin Camps (including smurfs and greenies)
WAC - Savannah Wildlife (or WAC-Elswyr)
WAC - NPCs & Armor
WAC - Domesticated Animals

Anyways, as it is now it looks like there's several exceptions I've got to list in DLL. :/
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Also... Greenies and Smurfs? I would say that they are definitely different compared to some of the MMM creatures.
Greenies are magical beings that I personally don't feel are out of place (in my game at least), despite that they are annoying little buggers. As far as I'm aware the Smurfs aren't even in game this time, but the files are still available and referenced in the esm. At least I haven't found them in game. In the Alpha they were in the Testinghall, but thankfully Waalx removed them this time round. Going to the Testinghall to pick up an item another mod placed there meant having to go in God Mode which was a PITA. :arg:

You can also find plenty of armoured skeletons and others that wear tattered robes. Some are friendly, ie a trio who wander near Weye, and are meant to be, but most are not. It's my feeling many things to be found are Easter Eggs and references to other games...ie Yakul the Elk mount from Princess Mononoke and several others.

I think if you look a little closer you'll find other meshes that aren't vanilla edits, but what does that matter anyway? There are many creatures that may or may not be edited, but look totally different to the original instead of just being another re-texture and given a new name. Have a look at the goblins, especially the faces...they look more like they should, then imps and other creatures with new shapes. I think the birds, crows and seagulls, made using the imp mesh are different enough to the original.
Sadly I'll probably cut out most of the WAC content in my load... A lot of creatures that are from a savannah or desert biome would be nice in Elswyr, but I don't have that mod installed and since there's really nothing that would qualify as a savannah in Cyrodiil I'll have to omit them. Could you blame me for just wanting creatures that properly correspond with the biome they are in?
Nope. :) That's entirely your choice. Can't blame you at all for wanting to run your game as you choose because we all do that and don't like being told otherwise, but it seems a bit pointless adding a mod like WAC and then removing half of it. There's nothing to stop you making your own edits and even releasing them here if you want, as long as they remain dependent on the esm which would be necessary anyway. However, you should wait until the next version of WAC is ready or you'll have to do it again.

I do run Elswyr and the WAC/Elsweyr patch made by Washington, which adds WAC creatures to the lists there and just adds to the whole in a good way. But, even without it, the areas around Anvil particularly north and above Kvatch could very well be considered suitable for savannah type critters. If Bethesda didn't use so many blasted rocks, IMHO, to clutter the landscape unnecessarily, and probably to hide things, it would be a lot flatter and more savannah like. I find it hard to believe every type of environment should be so full of rocks and boulders of all sizes...it makes using a horse redundant and annoying sometimes as they would be breaking their legs or dodging rocks most of the time off the roads.
Although separating out WAC a bit further would be nice. Something like....

WAC - Goblin Camps (including smurfs and greenies)
WAC - Savannah Wildlife (or WAC-Elswyr)
WAC - NPCs & Armor
WAC - Domesticated Animals

Anyways, as it is now it looks like there's several exceptions I've got to list in DLL. :/
Do you realize how many esps a setup like that would end up with? And why should they exist anyway unless someone else wants them and makes them? That can be done as long as they are posted here for anyone else who wants them, if they are to be publicly released that is. Personal use doesn't matter obviously.

A No Spiders esp for example, would make sense for people who don't like them, but otherwise separating out everything from each other is not happening, eg NPC's and Armour, for one. It may well be that other users would like this kind of modularity, but it won't be likely Waalx will do it, so someone else will have to.

Ultimately, as I said before WAC is an overhaul in it's own right, created to a specific purpose and vision as any mod is. In this case it's Waalx mod and his vision. No different to any other mod like OOO, or MMM etc. There's no reason people can't make their own personal edits, as I do it myself.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
washington
Enthusiast Swordbarer
Enthusiast Swordbarer

Ziitch,

With Construction Set Extender you can create patches very easily. Just edit base creatures models or edit levelled lists to suit your wishes.