New armor and weapons for wac? (9th-13th century era?)

Download and read about WAC Beta v0.1
openheaders
Unsteady Sworduser
Posts: 6
Joined: June 16th, 2011
Gender: Male
Born in: 1987

July 5th, 2011

Hey waalx, I have always been a fan of your work and indeed your realswords project goes exactly along the lines of my interest. I'm probably shooting in the wind here, but if you never ask you never find out. Are you willing to do some "real world helms" to add to your mod, like from the viking period for the nords ( spanghelms, conicals etc), to the middle ages for the bretons (kettle helms, conicals, bascinets, etc) Sadly many modders never appreciate the detail our ancestors put into their armour and are oft overlooked. Here are some pictures of what i'm thinking on (You probably know what i'm talking about, but eye candy for inspiration is always good!)


http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/29-AB0521.jpg -Coppergate


http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/29-AB2994.jpg -viking spectacle

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/29-AB0523.jpg Valsgarde (Very awesome looking to!!)

Gjermundbu http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/images/AH2190N.jpg

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/ah-6739.jpg Gjermundbu with facemail


http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/rc394.jpg -Half Helm or transition period helm



Hopefully i'm not clogging the forums here, but I hope you might consider doing some of these, as they are often overlooked.

Thanks Waalx For The great work,
Steve
User avatar
MasterAub
The Second
Posts: 377
Joined: July 3rd, 2009
Gender: Male
Born in: 1970
Location: Paris

July 5th, 2011

They sure look great...Hope the Man will be interested...
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
wj87
Steady Sworduser
Posts: 19
Joined: January 15th, 2010

July 9th, 2011

But I want to add a few to a large sword, such as:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 030433.jpg
User avatar
MasterAub
The Second
Posts: 377
Joined: July 3rd, 2009
Gender: Male
Born in: 1970
Location: Paris

July 9th, 2011

wj87 wrote:But I want to add a few to a large sword, such as:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 030433.jpg
Hi Pal great swords. By the way these exist already. Check TesNexus. Don't recall the name of the mod at the moment. Will let you know if it comes back to mind.
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
User avatar
Waalx
Forum Master
Posts: 1302
Joined: June 10th, 2007
Gender: Male
Born in: 1973
Location: Diani Beach, Kenya
Contact:

July 14th, 2011

openheaders wrote:Hey waalx, I have always been a fan of your work and indeed your realswords project goes exactly along the lines of my interest. I'm probably shooting in the wind here, but if you never ask you never find out. Are you willing to do some "real world helms" to add to your mod, like from the viking period for the nords ( spanghelms, conicals etc), to the middle ages for the bretons (kettle helms, conicals, bascinets, etc) Sadly many modders never appreciate the detail our ancestors put into their armour and are oft overlooked. Here are some pictures of what i'm thinking on (You probably know what i'm talking about, but eye candy for inspiration is always good!)


http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/29-AB0521.jpg -Coppergate


http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/29-AB2994.jpg -viking spectacle

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/29-AB0523.jpg Valsgarde (Very awesome looking to!!)

Gjermundbu http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/images/AH2190N.jpg

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/ah-6739.jpg Gjermundbu with facemail


http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/rc394.jpg -Half Helm or transition period helm



Hopefully i'm not clogging the forums here, but I hope you might consider doing some of these, as they are often overlooked.

Thanks Waalx For The great work,
Steve

Hi Steve

sorry but I don't have any more time to create new stuff. Thanks for enjoying WAC and RealSwords so far...

and hopefully somebody else can take your ideas and make them for the game. My time with Oblivion is near the end :)
Image
openheaders
Unsteady Sworduser
Posts: 6
Joined: June 16th, 2011
Gender: Male
Born in: 1987

July 14th, 2011

Sorry to hear that mate.... Well hopefully someone might take up the idea. Don't know who though.
wj87
Steady Sworduser
Posts: 19
Joined: January 15th, 2010

July 15th, 2011

waalx decide not to WAC update it? However, the current version is not complete, despite the very richness of the
User avatar
Wikinger
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner
Posts: 26
Joined: November 18th, 2008

July 27th, 2011

Well, Skyrim is to be at the ready and there is no incentive anymore to create new stuff for oblivion, unless you wanna still using the Files for Skyrim.

By the way. So far as there are people who are talented enough to create such things, they have their own ideas. And aslong you wanna get your wishes complied, you should think about to hire, to pay somebody for his work and the time that he spends.

Look, there are a few people, including me, who tried to do some more medieval stuff for Oblivion. But while we are waiting for voluntary help, people more likley to do some Manga-Porn-Lolita-Bullshit Stuff for Oblivion. So there must be enough unemployment japanese programmers which could do this, if we paid them.
Damn, if the government wouldn't rape me by all these taxes i had enough money to hire people who could do this.

I'am already working on some concepts to do Medieval stuff, including Warhammer and Witcher II inspired armors, for Skyrim. You know, finding resource models, textures and such things.
,___,
[O.O] Put this owl on your profile
/)__) If you've seen the Cremation of Care
-"--"- Ritual at Bohemian Grove
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

July 27th, 2011

Wikinger wrote:Well, Skyrim is to be at the ready and there is no incentive anymore to create new stuff for oblivion, unless you wanna still using the Files for Skyrim.

By the way. So far as there are people who are talented enough to create such things, they have their own ideas. And aslong you wanna get your wishes complied, you should think about to hire, to pay somebody for his work and the time that he spends.
I haven't been keeping up with the development of Skyrim because I think like Oblivion in pre-production a lot of information coming out at the moment is hype and promises that may not even pan out so I can't get myself excited about it really. I'm going to wait until the game is out and decide then. Besides it may not even be released on 11:11:11. Oblivion was delayed several months past the posted release date and even then many promised things weren't finished or even in the game. It was left up to modders to finish the game as it should have been. I know they were under time restrictions from Microsoft and probably other pressure, but the vanilla game would be a distant memory if not for modders who've kept the game alive. Just my opinion.

I do feel though that as Morrowind is still being modded, although I don't follow the progress of it anymore, Oblivion will modding will still continue, but what these mods will be is anyone's guess...or maybe not. I heard there's a team getting together to try and make a large scale mod that adds things like real medieval style clothing, crafting and other "realism" features. I wish them luck because besides WAC, it would be the only thing that would keep me interested and if it would work well with WAC, even better.
Look, there are a few people, including me, who tried to do some more medieval stuff for Oblivion. But while we are waiting for voluntary help, people more likley to do some Manga-Porn-Lolita-Bullshit Stuff for Oblivion. So there must be enough unemployment japanese programmers which could do this, if we paid them.
Damn, if the government wouldn't rape me by all these taxes i had enough money to hire people who could do this.
I totally agree, but I would make a bet, and I think I would win that bet, that many of the first mods that come out for Skyrim are those type of mods, and they will flood the modding scene like they are now. Also, if you had said that anywhere else you would have been howled down and told the usual "don't like it, don't download it" stock comment which is fair enough to a point, except I believe every side has the right to an opinion, but some don't.

Then, even if you or someone else were able to pay the Asian modders to do something more medieval or even a little closer to the base game, I think it would be unlikely to happen as a lot of it is cultural, even aside from Anime etc. Medieval times as many of us from non Asian cultures see it would be a foreign concept as Asian history and culture is so different than European history. That's how I see it anyway.

While I agree that since it's a single player game anyone can play it they way it suits them, it saddens me to see the type of "Manga-Porn-Lolita-Bullshit Stuff" and other extreme hard core porn that seems to be popular at the moment. Things you won't see even on the main mod site...thank goodness. Personally, I can't stand Anime/Manga and some of the other weirder stuff, but it has a huge following. I just don't get the attraction, but that's me. Anyone is welcome to disagree of course.
I'am already working on some concepts to do Medieval stuff, including Warhammer and Witcher II inspired armors, for Skyrim. You know, finding resource models, textures and such things.
I hope you do because I'll be one who will be interested. Depending on how different the editor is for Skyrim I may even give it a try myself. I've lost the enthusiasm, at the moment anyway, to do anything more for Oblivion except personal stuff. Skyrim may just be a good incentive to learn a few new things that I don't have an interest in now if it turns out to be the game everyone hopes for.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Wikinger
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner
Posts: 26
Joined: November 18th, 2008

July 27th, 2011

I heard there's a team getting together to try and make a large scale mod that adds things like real medieval style clothing, crafting and other "realism" features. I wish them luck because besides WAC, it would be the only thing that would keep me interested and if it would work well with WAC, even better.
Where did you hear that? Because there was this guy a few years ago, i believe Centurio or something like that was his Nickname, who made realy high quality work for Oblivion and did some medieval armors. I still have some screenshots. But then, he vanished and was never heard of(as far as i know).

--> Image
I hope you do because I'll be one who will be interested.
Yeah, i bet there are many people which are interested.

But the Point is, that a voluntarily base will not work for bigger projects. There must be contract and money. No one ever will do all these request-thread bullshit without getting one dollar or whatever. In other cases, there will be 35 Boobs models for every new Helmet that comes out.

But meanwhile its a little daunting to get all this "new" stuff, because most of it already exists. Couldn't there be somekind of unique royalty for 3-D Models which are createt by other ones?
I mean, there is a giant Modding Comunity and even these helmets which @openheaders requestet are already made for Mount&blade mods for example. Couldn't be so hard to get them for Oblivion or Skyrim. For Fallout 3, there were also people who are convertet custome made Counterstrike Weapons to the game and no one was complaining. The only disadvantage that i could introduce is, that innovation could suffer. But both opportunities are way better than this stupid request bullshit all day long where people appear and declaim their wishes. They don't even provide help or real support, they just come and wish like some Genie In A Bottle would hear them. And sometimes, it makes me realy mad about the circumstances.
,___,
[O.O] Put this owl on your profile
/)__) If you've seen the Cremation of Care
-"--"- Ritual at Bohemian Grove
User avatar
MasterAub
The Second
Posts: 377
Joined: July 3rd, 2009
Gender: Male
Born in: 1970
Location: Paris

July 27th, 2011

Hi Wikinger,

I hear you clear and loud. Two points though:

1) People can make requests, you don't have to hear them out...or to to answer. The day someone forces you to do a 3D model please let me know...I'll personnally come down from my floating cloud to punish those fools...
2) They are a lot of moders who indeed make custom 3D models for others (generally for bigger projects) because they feel like it and because they just enjoy doing so or sometimes get inspirations from others. By the way Waalx has done many braistorming while developping WAC. Eventually don't hesitate to press the "DONATE" button right in the bottom of your screen.

Otherwise I am in agreement with everything you say...
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
openheaders
Unsteady Sworduser
Posts: 6
Joined: June 16th, 2011
Gender: Male
Born in: 1987

July 27th, 2011

Well now you know why I get all nervous to request something. If there are any models out there I guess i've been in the dark. Needless to say any volunteers or is this a lost cause?
User avatar
Wikinger
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner
Posts: 26
Joined: November 18th, 2008

July 28th, 2011

If there are any models out there I guess i've been in the dark.
This one
already exists for Oblivion.(or at least something similar)

Image
Download Link

You would find this if you search with google for Viking helmet. But for some reason, its no longer on Tesnexus.
That remindes me in a big problem. Everything can stand and fall with the ego of someone.
,___,
[O.O] Put this owl on your profile
/)__) If you've seen the Cremation of Care
-"--"- Ritual at Bohemian Grove
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

July 28th, 2011

Where did you hear that? Because there was this guy a few years ago, i believe Centurio or something like that was his Nickname, who made realy high quality work for Oblivion and did some medieval armors. I still have some screenshots. But then, he vanished and was never heard of(as far as i know).
I remembered seeing a couple of recent threads at Tesnexus but after having another look it's more of a discussion and links to the type of mods that actually do have armours and other clothing and features pertaining to a more medieval style. Someone mentioned to me that they were going to give it a try but it's more links and discussions.
There are some good links there though.
http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php ... g-it-real/

Maybe someone will be interested enough to try something new, but it would be a lot of work and I can understand people not wanting to take on a project of that scope. Especially if it turns out it only appeals to what seems to be a small sector of players. Comparatively speaking compared to the more popular mods.

Then there's this topic about medieval clothing for men, and several people expressed interest in trying to make something from the screen shots supplied. Whether anything will come of it we'll have to wait and see I suppose.
http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php ... -clothing/
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Wikinger
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner
Posts: 26
Joined: November 18th, 2008

August 7th, 2011

Then there's this topic about medieval clothing for men, and several people expressed interest in trying to make something from the screen shots supplied. Whether anything will come of it we'll have to wait and see I suppose.
http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php ... -clothing/
This is dead. 6 Pages of discussion about nothing. At least the last post is a bit constructive because it looks like someone had a real concept.

Man i love people like this MarkInMKUK. No abilities, no experience, no own creations, but wanna tell everyone else how get things done. Yeah, folks like him put the people with real abilities off.
Typical nexus.
,___,
[O.O] Put this owl on your profile
/)__) If you've seen the Cremation of Care
-"--"- Ritual at Bohemian Grove
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

August 7th, 2011

Wikinger wrote:
Then there's this topic about medieval clothing for men, and several people expressed interest in trying to make something from the screen shots supplied. Whether anything will come of it we'll have to wait and see I suppose.
http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php ... -clothing/
This is dead. 6 Pages of discussion about nothing. At least the last post is a bit constructive because it looks like someone had a real concept.

Man i love people like this MarkInMKUK. No abilities, no experience, no own creations, but wanna tell everyone else how get things done. Yeah, folks like him put the people with real abilities off.
Typical nexus.

At least he tried to get something started. Not everyone has the talent and can do what's necessary, but have the ability to rally the people who can to at least think about it, even if it goes nowhere. Unfortunately, it's almost an uphill battle now against the type of popular mods that are getting all the attention. I don't like it particularly, but unless people make the things they want themselves, it's not going to change.

Before you go flaming other people who at least have good intentions, even if they can't carry them out, I would strongly advise you to leave people's user names and other forums out of it. Otherwise you can bitch about the lack of realism and whatever else you don't like, as much as you like here... up to a point. Just don't push it.

The subject of realism and staying true to the type of game Oblivion is, is something I get really annoyed, frustrated and many times disgusted about myself. However, I am in the same boat as the person you're criticizing as I don't do meshes or textures and I have no interest in learning. Therefore I don't demand others do things I don't want to do myself.

In fact I've let it be known I don't do request mods anymore because I get sick of the demands I've had for things that are just impossible with this game engine and are way beyond my ability anyway. A couple of things I've been asked to do are having a pet roll over to have it's belly patted with the accompanying animations, or track it's owner by scent via scripts. :shock: I also get annoyed when I have supplied a comprehensive and easy to follow tutorial, and still people want me to make them companions because they don't want to try.

What may I ask are your abilities? Do you have a better solution than the suggestions in the thread I linked? Something constructive to get people interested?
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
User avatar
MasterAub
The Second
Posts: 377
Joined: July 3rd, 2009
Gender: Male
Born in: 1970
Location: Paris

August 7th, 2011

Maigrets wrote:A couple of things I've been asked to do are having a pet roll over to have it's belly patted with the accompanying animations, or track it's owner by scent via scripts.
This is sooooooo funny :-) :grin: :grin: :grin: :-)
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

August 8th, 2011

MasterAub wrote:
Maigrets wrote:A couple of things I've been asked to do are having a pet roll over to have it's belly patted with the accompanying animations, or track it's owner by scent via scripts.
This is sooooooo funny :-) :grin: :grin: :grin: :-)
Yes, and I laughed so much at the time I had a pain in my side. :grin: :grin:

Trouble is both people were serious and those two suggestions were only part of it.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Wikinger
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner
Posts: 26
Joined: November 18th, 2008

August 11th, 2011

What may I ask are your abilities?
I createt that medieval armors ressources stuff long time ago. Meanwhile some other simple armor sets. But i get frustrated because the game was flotted with pointless half naked manga stuff so much and people always want more, more, more and making impossible demands and noone ever offers some help, so i dumped that. Screw that, i don't do free work anymore for ungrateful dunces.
,___,
[O.O] Put this owl on your profile
/)__) If you've seen the Cremation of Care
-"--"- Ritual at Bohemian Grove
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

August 12th, 2011

Believe me I feel what you're saying more than you may think, but the unfortunate thing is it's not going to change. I've been through all that frustration and at times disbelief at a lot of mods that seem to be popular, but now I "try" to ignore it, with varying degrees of success. Since Oblivion is so moddable and the types of mods we either like or dislike can so easily be made the game often doesn't even resemble what I call the spirit of the original game.

I don't stick to the Lore in my game as I like custom races and clothes and armours, but most of what I use could be seen to fit in with the base game. I do try some of the more fantasy armours etc, but usually just to see what they look like in game and maybe for a few screen shots, but screen shooting is a very minor part of my game play. Most of these mods, except for a very select few, are removed as they don't fit my style of game.

Many people use the game as an art medium only and some of them have said they've never even played it except to create artful screen shots. I can understand the artistic side of it, but from my point of view games are for playing for escapism among other reasons. This game can be made so beautiful with texture replacers and still be "Oblivion." The people who create art from the game are very good at it, but the best are the ones who don't photo shop their pictures until there's no resemblance to the actual game. That seems pointless to me as it may as well be anything besides the game used for the purpose.

I see topics elsewhere on this very subject of "realism" or what is probably better to call believability and they always end up in flame fests against the realists, or purists for want of a better name. One comment I saw recently from a realist mentioned keeping to the spirit of the original game and the developers vision of it. It was shot down by someone saying.."How can you know what the developers intended for this game." I would have thought it was obvious considering it's a TES game in the Elder Scrolls Universe and set in a medieval style. However, people even debate the medieval tag and argue that it's all fantasy so anything goes. And believe me, that's anything. :hang:

Just wait until Skyrim is released and see what happens there as far as mods and what's popular. I can already see a flood of the same mods you mention as soon as humanly possible and they will justify it with the same reasons. Just grit your teeth, ignore it and try to play your game your way. Not that I think that's easy by any means.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Post Reply