On the future of WAC and of this forum

Download and read about WAC Beta v0.1

Will you use the forum after the next WAC (to continue develop WAC further)?

Poll ended at November 11th, 2011

1 - The forum should remain open to further develop WAC. AND I'm willing to help! (WAC will be available elsewhere also)
25%
2 - The forum should remain open to further develop WAC. I'm NOT willing to help though. (WAC will be available elsewhere also)
30%
3 - The forum should be left available for reference, WAC released elsewhere. Let the Oblivion community help themselves wherever they want.
43%
4 - The forum should be terminated and WAC released elsewhere. Let the Oblivion community help themselves wherever they want.
2%

Total votes: 53
shingouki
Admin

I didn't really express this enough before, but I REALLY don't like the idea of WAC being worked on too much outside of this forum. I feel that this forum is where WAC was created, and this is where it should continue to grow. But if that is unavoidable, I'd be happy if there was some sort of distinction between the different WAC eras.

There would be the B.W. Era (By Waalx), and this would be the era of things made solely by Waalx. Next would be the W.R. Era (Waalx Request) this would be the Era of things that Waalx wanted in WAC but was unable to complete, however was finished by other members of the WAC or other communities. Ideally it would be nice to have each thing made and given Waalx's approval...but I don't know if that will be possible. The final era would be the A.W. Era (After Waalx). This would contain things that were approved by others to be part of/companions to WAC.

The point in doing this would be that if by any chance, years later, Waalx decides to work on Oblivion again for fun, he can tweak the Waalx Request(W.R) Era of things to his liking, and continue from there. The A.W. Era would probably contain too many things outside of WAC's original scope to be worked on individually... Those are my thoughts.

I personally always looked at you(Waalx) as a blacksmith: 3DS Max/Blender being your hammer, Triangles and Textures being your metal, the Construction Set your smithy, and your imagination being the flame. You worked on creating beautiful weapons and armors in your smithy, and gave them freely to the residents of Tamriel. Slowly and surely, your hammer and anvil transcended into heavenly status, and you went from being the 'Legendary 'Blacksmith of Tamriel', to the 'God of Tamriel' crafting a beautiful world for others to marvel at.

You're leaving the smithy now for others to utilize it, but anything made afterwards should still be produced at your smithy...and the things that you wished to create before leaving your smithy should be made by trusted others, and then left alone. If you ever decide to go into your smithy once more, it should be to continue your work as you left it or wished for it to be, not with a million other hands tampering with your tools.

I know that was a really high fantasy analogy, but your great creations leave that sort of effect! Hopefully this suggestion helps!
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Thank you shingouki for expressing further how I feel about this situation. :)

A couple of points I agree on especially are that WAC may end up going in a totally different direction that Waalx intended and I'm pretty sure that will happen and as soon as humanly possible, and as soon as Waalx is out of easy contact.

"Sexy" WAC bikini armour anyone? :P
There would be the B.W. Era (By Waalx), and this would be the era of things made solely by Waalx. Next would be the W.R. Era (Waalx Request) this would be the Era of things that Waalx wanted in WAC but was unable to complete, however was finished by other members of the WAC or other communities. Ideally it would be nice to have each thing made and given Waalx's approval...but I don't know if that will be possible. The final era would be the A.W. Era (After Waalx). This would contain things that were approved by others to be part of/companions to WAC.
Waalx will be laying down instructions for WAC, but we all know how things can be misinterpreted, intentionally or not depending on the person. WAC will be in total control of the person(s) given that control so decisions will be made accordingly, particularly as far as what can or cannot be released publicly. Private releases are out of anyone's control as can be seen with other mods and ignored permissions, unfortunately.

It would be a terrible waste to have WAC, (as it's meant to be) disseminated and taken along another route after all the years of work that have gone into it. Closing this forum, even if it's not very active would be a waste as well considering all the history of WAC and Realswords is here.

Something I don't think many people know is that WAC, and Realswords as it's integrated into WAC, has it's own Lore and the books and other texts to go with it, but are still unfinished. I would personally like to see this continued though I also know it's a lot of work.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
scot
Steady Sworduser

Now I´m feeling bad... guess I´m one of the guys who just downloaded, though I never had a big problem with running WAC and the ones I did I looked for myself, I made like 4 posts here some to tell people how to fix the mongrel camp crash and posted some images.It´s not like I´m being rude I simply don´t talk much, instead I prefer to say thank you to the authors of the mods I use by making mods myself and host them in the nexus.I´m currently remaking all the vanilla dungeons and I´m almost finishing it.Though sadly Waalx wont be able to play it but THANK YOU for you´r great mod :)
Casper
Unsteady Sworduser
Born in: 1984

i'm sorry to see Waalx go; however, i can see why he would need a vacation. (i'd like to wander around the world if i had the cash, and could bring my desktop with me... lol)

WAC is one of the if not the most impressive mods i've seen an a while, not simply for the sheer scope of the project, it's that it's quality is just as spectacular as well. a big part of my load order is large quest driven mods, i guess cause after putting all that work into a character, not just leveling or crafting one, but creating a persona or personality for them, i find it hard to just leave them to gather dust cause i've done every quest i can think of, or find. i just wish WAC had a few large quest with it as well. (yes, i know that's not what WAC is about, i can dream and hope though, can't i?)

i'm kind of ranting now. *sigh* forgot where i was going. well, i guess i'm more of a lurker here; more so then the other forums I frequent, mainly cause what i would have posted is either said and done or not really relevant. i guess i do try to help out as best i can, it's just my oblivion modding is rather lacking, as is my troubleshooting knowledge. wow, guess i'm really off on a tangent now.

i guess i'll just end this rant with: it's been fun, i hope the forum stays around in one form or another. also i hope people don't pick wac apart (rather unlikely i know *more sighs*, and i hope waalx has a good trip.
Fortune favors the foolish – because more often than not, the only thing separating bravery from stupidity is luck. -me
Haldir
Unsteady Sworduser

Another of those fumbling swordusers here to express his gratitude, if you don't mind.
I stand in awe of what you have done here, Waalx. I can neither appreciate nor imagine the effort put into such a mammoth undertaking. The improvement you made to Oblivion is so great that I can no longer bear to play it without WAC installed.
So thank you, from the bottom of my Cyrodiilian heart.
Thanks also to Maigrets and Mormacil and and rest of you frequent posters and solution providers, thanks for putting up with us.

Hope you all have a nice break, you all certainly deserve it.
washington
Enthusiast Swordbarer
Enthusiast Swordbarer

Hello!

I have missed the poll, but I would have voted for forum to stay if it's possible. Also, I am willing to help as I have helped so far - with support. I have promoted and helped WAC when ever possible here and on other forums and during Waalx' absence before Maigrets was here as admin, I was more or less only one to post here to answer the questions.

WAC has been a great enjoyment for me as I really, really like real animals. Swords and other stuff was also cool, but animals were what brought me here. So thank you once again for that!

Your trip is intriguing me, I have to find that travel blog of yours (PM anyone?). And if your trip brings you close to where I am (I think you can see from IP, right? If not - PM me, I'd like to keep privacy), I'd gladly buy you lunch or at least drink. :)
Masterplan
Fumbling Sworduser

Well, you could set a new Admin for this forum and keep some Moderators in order to not clutter the site with spams and pointless threads. This forum should be kept alive in my humble opinion. You could even pass your work to another "project-chief" who will not let this mod ripped off in pieces or let it go in a way it should not by intention. Just keep this site as the major reference and workbench for modders, let download the mod from here, but pubblicize a little more.

I did not vote this poll, as I don't think I have the right to do it. I just wanted to give you my two cents on the situation.

Thanks for your time, thanks for your work. Enjoy the travel :)

(Sorry for my English...)
Conker343qc
Enthusiast Swordbarer
Enthusiast Swordbarer

I'm sad i missed this whole story ...

I've been one of the first guys on this forum and although i wasn't the most active, i'm one of your most loyal follower for two things : I would have lost any will to play oblivion without the first alpha version of Waalx and i've been playing with Realswords since it came out, years ago now ?! I always respected your work and everytime i crossed your path here i respected you as a friend.

I have built my new big oblivion setup around the last version of WAC and i don't see why would people complain ?! Outside a couple of land tears around the camp, i had no problems whatsoever (problem, FCOM?) . It would be mostly small UL patches i guess.

The quality of the textures, meshes, and feel of everything was all i could dream of in the immersive way. You can't get more functionnal and to the point than WAC items and animals. And sorry haters, i hate Flaming Horses and that kind of stuff (U mad FCOM?)

I hope you good times in that big lifetime trip. You've been my favorite contributer to my Oblivion experience and it changed my perception on how i played my game for now 3 years. I wish you luck, and i hope you'll be back when i'll be playing Skyrim in 6 months or more. I will miss this Conan/Ayleid ghost flavor :(
- Agea haelia ne jorane emero laloria...
Da Erkka
Fumbling Sworduser

Oh I'm late but who cares, this thread has managed to tug the cords of my black uncaring heart and I feel I have to pay respects. I am one of those dicks who just download mods and put together their own hideous blocky franken-mod. But goddamit I tried this and while I still pefer my own concotion, this is without a doubt the best monster mod out there.

Screw MMM. Yeah, I said that. Most of it is just recolors and meshes from other mods. "Oh now I can fight slightly tougher trolls that are brown". Well this one goes beyond that and if nothing else the materials from this mod helped me to make my own Oblivion experience awesome.

So thank you and space gods bless this mod, it's creator and his other creations.

And now I leave you with image done by me that sums up my feelings of this mod.
Rafnagud
Fumbling Sworduser

Waalx wrote:As some of you may already know, I'm working on the next version of WAC, and it will be the last version from me.

After the next version of WAC I will have no opportunity to continue working on the mod at all. I am leaving on a multi-year travel around the world, and I will not have access to a gaming machine to continue WAC in any means. I am taking a small notebook with me, but it's not powerful enough to run Oblivion nor to do extensive 3D and graphic work.

Waalx wrote:
I don't have my original file with me in here as I'm travelling, but my brother have an external HDD with my work files and I could get the file if need be.
Can you please give us an update about the near future of WAC? Are you already travelling the world and what does that mean for the release of your final version of WAC?
You didn't make it in time to release it before starting travelling? Correct me if i'm wrong.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

See this thread about halfway down.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=827

Waalx is still around and the final Wac will be released at some time, but there's no firm date.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett