Waalx Animals and Creatures and Skyrim

Download and read about WAC Beta v0.1
thekarithian
Fumbling Sworduser
Born in: 1968

Just a quick ask. Is there any hope of a future port of this most fantastic collection across to Skyrim? Heres hoping.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Unfortunately no. Most if not all of the meshes are edited vanilla Oblivion ones and it's illegal to port them to another game. The only way would be if Waalx created new meshes from scratch and that won't be happening any time soon due to moving on in real life. Maybe someone else will take up the challenge.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
shingouki
Admin

After playing Skyrim for a while I feel like a ton of Waalx's stuff was "ported" or mimicked rather in Skyrim by Bethesda.

Sorry if spoilers:

These cats for example

This helmet

And some other stuff...

If Waalx permits it, I'm sure a lot of it would fit right at home. But again like Maigrets stated, a lot of things cant be ported
since they're from Oblivion. But many things can like the bags, capes, Realswords weapons, and such...since they're all
original works made by Waalx. Again though it's all up to Waalx if that would be okay or not!
Maigrets
Admin

I think Bethesda took ideas from a lot of modders....Harvest Containers and Harvest Flora, the book placement mod that I can't remember the name of atm, immediately come to mind as well as others. At least we can say one thing - it seems Bethesda listened to the fans this time with some of the added features.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Maigrets wrote:I think Bethesda took ideas from a lot of modders....Harvest Containers and Harvest Flora, the book placement mod that I can't remember the name of atm, immediately come to mind as well as others. At least we can say one thing - it seems Bethesda listened to the fans this time with some of the added features.
Indeed, i really like Skyrim so far.
Coltell
Unsteady Sworduser

Well,Vanilla Skyrim it's lot's better than vanilla Oblivion, that's for sure. Alas the dragons playing in maxim difficult are pretty much a pain in the ass to kill, I love it.

Alas, I'm missing smurfs, the gargoyles, the otters, the fears... All that stuff, some of the Walx creatures will fit so well in Skyrim (the little wargs and a lot more,with a bit of texturing...) At least the weapons are full Waalx creations, with the mesh and all, nop? So a future port will be not be illegal,no?
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

I think if WAC was to go into skyrim it would need completely new models (or at least updates of the originals) to fit in and not look out of place, also some changes to fit in with the existing look and feel of the other creatures of skyrim with their angry and scary appeal.
The way skyrim has been made it would deffinately fit in! Although im not sure where gargoyles would fit since there are no ayleid ruins for them to hide in...:o
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

one question though...meshes are meshes... so in therory all the original meshes from WAC could be ported in Skyrim...I am right or wrong?
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Maigrets
Admin

MasterAub wrote:one question though...meshes are meshes... so in therory all the original meshes from WAC could be ported in Skyrim...I am right or wrong?
As far as I know that's the case for original work. Might want to do some research though now the Creation Kit is being tied to Steamworks and Steam has to be running to use it. A lot of people are unhappy about that.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:
MasterAub wrote:one question though...meshes are meshes... so in therory all the original meshes from WAC could be ported in Skyrim...I am right or wrong?
As far as I know that's the case for original work. Might want to do some research though now the Creation Kit is being tied to Steamworks and Steam has to be running to use it. A lot of people are unhappy about that.
From what i understand it may be so that you need Steam to run it, but you are not going to be forced to upload mods on Steamworks. TESNexus...TESAlliance and such should still be usable as with previous games. At least that is how i understand it at the moment.
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

Steamworks for skyrim is a fantastic idea, i dont understand why people are upset about that. ;|
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Gork712 wrote:Steamworks for skyrim is a fantastic idea, i dont understand why people are upset about that. ;|
Well maybe because if they are placed on Steamworks then modders(Or was it Valve?) may start to ask some money for their mods.

But with the previous TES games it has been forbidden for modders to ask money for their mods, and because they now can i guess many people are concerned that they will pay for a mod that may or may not be a badly made one. Personally i am not fond of having to pay for mods as well(Especially since i already hat to pay 50 euro for the PC version of Skyrim), so i am glad that TESNexus and sites like it will still be used so that we do not have to pay for all mods.

This is how i personally see it, so it may very well be that others think otherwise.
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

Maigrets wrote:
Damned, I did not know this...I hate it when my freedom is limited...
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
empty
Fumbling Sworduser

I'm fairly sure you aren't forced to use Steamworks and can still use any other third-party hosting. It's just added convenience. People are getting the wrong idea.
Maigrets
Admin

Problem is there's a lot of good and bad speculation because Bethesda is not giving out any details. Like many others I wonder why the delay for the CK release if there's not something happening that we we may not like.
We can only wait and see.
Wikinger
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

Gork712 wrote:Steamworks for skyrim is a fantastic idea, i dont understand why people are upset about that. ;|
Because you never read a fucking newspaper.
Heard the lastest news?
EA games used Battlefield 3 to Spy on people.
I for myself suspect STEAM doing such things too.

Just think about Steam for one secound makes me so full of anger i could skin a seal baby alive.

But i like the idea to port Oblivion Items to Skyrim. People did such things as use Oblivion Parts for Fallout, so i guess there is at last some possibility that people do this for their own, privat use.
Sure, would be illegal, but... does realy anyone care? Who would be the victim of this crime? But thats a more Philosophical question.
,___,
[O.O] Put this owl on your profile
/)__) If you've seen the Cremation of Care
-"--"- Ritual at Bohemian Grove
Maigrets
Admin

Yes, I don't have much trust in this idea of tying the CK to Steamworks myself and the same goes for many other modders. People who blindly accept what a money making business says and takes it for truth may be in for a rude shock.

However, I don't have a problem with Steam as a platform to play the game as it hasn't given me any problems and I'd much rather Steam than GFWL or Origin.

I think the blame for whatever happens though goes to Bethesda rather than Steam because they should know by now the success of their games depends almost entirely on the modders who fix the bugs they don't want to bother with and many other things that keep the games alive.

Oblivion, and probably Morrowind, would have died a long time ago it it wasn't for the modders. In my opinion Oblivion in it's vanilla state was practically a blank canvas given to the modders to fix. It was an uninspiring, boring, cut and paste game which I would have uninstalled after the first playthrough if it wasn't for mods.

Bethesda says mods for Skyrim will be free, but which mods? It would only be simple to install mods that they choose and think are acceptable and will bring in money for them. Basically another way to sell them as DLC's that are actually made by users instead of the developers.

I can't imagine mods that re-balance the game and actually require some reading to install, not to mention avoiding conflicts will make it into Bethesda/Steamworks system. There would be a massive riot if users' games were broken because of something more complicated and couldn't be used with every other mod out there. I just hope the Nexus or other mod sites aren't affected and though they more or less say that won't happen, I'm not so trusting of corporate concerns when money is involved.

Otherwise why the silence about the delay of the CK and what they are doing when in the past they gave us the editor with the games on or soon after release.

Whatever the case there's not much we can do about it but wait and see. The more I play Skyrim though, the more I would like to see a mod that gets rid of the level scaling for quest rewards and that balances a lot of other things that need it.
But i like the idea to port Oblivion Items to Skyrim. People did such things as use Oblivion Parts for Fallout, so i guess there is at last some possibility that people do this for their own, privat use.
Sure, would be illegal, but... does realy anyone care? Who would be the victim of this crime? But thats a more Philosophical question.
There's no way to really stop it as we've seen for the other games and probably if Bethesda really cared they wouldn't have given the editors in the first place. It's not like they've ever gone after the people who do it, except for one that I know of who was charging for his mod, (a vampire overhaul) but I wonder if that will change with the CK linked to Steamworks. Would be pretty hard though if people say it's only for private use, but the trouble there is with sharing which would be OK between friends who keep it private, but I personally wouldn't be surprised if sites that host these mods are threatened with legal action with this new system.

Word gets around pretty fast in the modding world and it could get nasty. Or more than it already is sometimes.