Maybe I am out of line?

Download and read about WAC Beta v0.1
shingouki
Admin

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4346

This modder ported the Atlantean that Waalx made into Skryim. Originally when he ported it (I think its the same person at least),
they gave Waalx credit and everything so I just assumed that maybe Waalx gave him proper permission and he was crediting him
for allowing the port. At that point I thought nothing of it. I checked it again, and now his credits changed to:
"Thanks to Walx who everyone thinks he made the mesh, but rumor has it even he didn't make it and got it from a site."
This kind of irritated me because I know Waalx works hard on his models, and I highly doubt (though I can't prove it) that Waalx would
do such a thing. Also, Waalx is my friend who I respect highly, so he basically insulted my friend. So I got a little irritated and wrote this:
Rhevn, I know Waalx personally and I'm pretty sure he made the mesh and didn't steal it from anywhere. If you look at a lot of his other work I'm sure you'll know that he's more than capable of making his own stuff. So I don't think the note about him "taking it" from somewhere, really has any place in mentioning his work. If you take someone else's work and use it as a base(as you are doing) I don't think you should be saying bad things about that same creator.

For those who don't know, this is the original:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4594

He also made the father sword:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4448
I wasn't really trying to be confrontational, although I was irritated. I just didnt like him saying bad stuff about Waalx. Especially when you are
using Waalx's work. I expected him to correct himself and apologize, but he responded.
@shingouki2002
I honestly don't care if he made it or not. I'm happy it's available for Skyrim and I'm glad others can enjoy it. It's just a shame that he won't talk to anyone to legally let it be here fully. Regardless of who made it and who gets credit. I'm leaving the info as is until he personally can inform me as to who did what with it.
This pissed me off, especially the part about "I dont care if he made it or not". So I responded again with this:
@Rhevn: So you're basically saying if someone made something, and you take it and "decide" to make it available without that person's permission, then it's a-okay to take it and not properly credit them. Your reason being, "just because they didn't respond to you". Really? Wow.

I know the actual reason for Waalx and it's just he isn't always near a PC in order to respond. But that still doesn't make it okay to take someone else's work and then disparage their name at the same time. Seriously, your boldness and disrespect amazes me. But I'll quote Waalx himself on a similar issue:

"...I've been putting stuff on the web for free long enough now that I know of many places where they distribute my mods already without my permission...Writing to the persons in charge may not work, and in some cases they asked that I provide proof I was the original author. As if I have time for this! The proof is out there, what else do you want? My original work files?

I'm much more mad about people taking my mods against my wishes and using them in video-games other than Oblivion. I've seen mods where some of the RealSwords material appear in Mount and Blades, in Fallout 3, Morrowind, and probably others that I don't know of.

When a person write me about porting my work into another game I always say NO. Afterward, what happen is left to that person's integrity."

I actually don't think Waalx would even mind so much in the end if you asked or communicated in some way. But when you're coming across saying that "he needs to prove it to you" and "you don't care if he made it or not" you're seriously out of line.
I'm normally not so confrontational, I'm just mad that he insulted Waalx. But I am wondering, maybe I am out of line?
Waalx
Forum Master
Born in: 1973

Thanks for that.

Yes I did the Atlantean model, 2 times actually, because the one in WAC is the second version of it. I made it better and a lighter mesh as well.. The Atlantean texture was made from photo of the Albion sword, it was not hand-painted as most of RealSwords are.

What can I say, you already quoted me on it. I don't know where that 'rumor' comes from though. It's a bit disheartening to hear that but whatever, that's the internet for you right there. And what if... I didn't answer that guy because he already used the file without permission previously? what about that? Could I be a vindictive person? Maybe...? ;)

I sure did that damn model ;) I don't have my original file with me in here as I'm travelling, but my brother have an external HDD with my work files and I could get the file if need be. But why shoud I have to prove that I did it myself to anybody actually?
In any cases it was made in Softimage XSI, and being so I doubt very much that that moron simply understand what that is.

Thanks for standing up for me though.
Rafnagud
Fumbling Sworduser

Waalx wrote:
as I'm travelling
What does this mean for the new version of WAC?
shingouki
Admin

Waalx wrote:Thanks for that.

Yes I did the Atlantean model, 2 times actually, because the one in WAC is the second version of it. I made it better and a lighter mesh as well.. The Atlantean texture was made from photo of the Albion sword, it was not hand-painted as most of RealSwords are.

What can I say, you already quoted me on it. I don't know where that 'rumor' comes from though. It's a bit disheartening to hear that but whatever, that's the internet for you right there. And what if... I didn't answer that guy because he already used the file without permission previously? what about that? Could I be a vindictive person? Maybe...? ;)

I sure did that damn model ;) I don't have my original file with me in here as I'm travelling, but my brother have an external HDD with my work files and I could get the file if need be. But why shoud I have to prove that I did it myself to anybody actually?
In any cases it was made in Softimage XSI, and being so I doubt very much that that moron simply understand what that is.

Thanks for standing up for me though.
Is it okay if I report it as stolen, with your quote as the supporting evidence? I don't think its right what this guy is doing,
although I know you'd rather just not let yourself get upset about it. He also deleted my comments so no one will see what he is doing.

Also, I sent you a friend request on facebook, add me! I wrote a message so you know its me.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Is it okay if I report it as stolen, with your quote as the supporting evidence? I don't think its right what this guy is doing, although I know you'd rather just not let yourself get upset about it. He also deleted my comments so no one will see what he is doing.
It seems he's been chatted by Admin and is now using different files. I would have reported him straight away like another asshole last year who used WAC files in his Witcher mod and said he didn't care who made them. He at least did remove the files and apologized after I had my say and reported the file.

This guy sounds like a piece of work though and has obviously played the victim card by what I've been reading in the comments.

This sort of thing happens with every game from Oblivion to Fallout 3 and now Skyrim, and isn't going to stop now. People just need to keep their eyes open and not let the thieves get away with it if at all possible. Trouble is they will move to other sites where they can do whatever they like and there are lots of them.

A great many users don't give a damn about credit or who made what as long as they get their greedy hands on the files, stolen or not. Unfortunately, in many cases the so called modding "community" leaves a lot to be desired.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
computica
Fumbling Sworduser

It is time for me to finally say something. I am here to apologize; Waalx and the rest of the real swords community I apologize for using the bow and arrow models in my mod Sword of Damocles: Warlords for Mount & Blade Warband: http://www.moddb.com/mods/sword-of-damocles-warlords

I skillfully converted the arrow and bow models to a lower poly version and used the original textures without permission. I did credit Waalx when I first used/released them (Feb. 20th 2011). But after coming here and finally seeing how you all feel and especially Waalx feels I feel really, really bad. I have been directing traffic to this site when asked about who did the arrow & bow models. I've also listed and said that Waalx had done the original models and textures on them.

If you want me to remove them from the mod I can. I am not a great 3D modeler or texture artist so that is the main reason I've used them. As an alternative I can do more to promote Waalx's mod and forum. I can also put links to his donation box also.

Again I apologize for using the models without you permission.