Patch 1.6 - Navmesh Fixed and Horse Combat A Reality

A place to discuss anything related to The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim. No spoilers here please.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Fessels wrote:Okay i have just found out that in stead of posting a reply i reported your post. Shjees i guess i hat a few to many last night after the Netherlands from Germany.

Any way, thanks for the warning Maigrets, i will check out Diablo 3 more. :)
ROFL....Good one. :grin:
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Gekko64
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

Fessels, check out Median XL... much better than d3 ;)
ramunc
Unsteady Sworduser

About the horse combat thing...how are you guys at it?I mean i'm not able to take down a single unarmed NPC, in melee mostly.I'm curious because i feel that horse combat in Skyrim is really pointless, only good for taking screenshots.
Maigrets
Admin

ramunc wrote:About the horse combat thing...how are you guys at it?I mean i'm not able to take down a single unarmed NPC, in melee mostly.I'm curious because i feel that horse combat in Skyrim is really pointless, only good for taking screenshots.
Hello ramunc,

My experience is about the same as yours. lol

If the NPC stays perfectly still I can maybe hit it, but otherwise it's hopeless. The horse is impossible to control, can't walk backwards and NPC hitboxes are inaccurate. You can kill your horse from under you with melee weapons if you don't make them essential.

I only tried using a bow once for a screenshot which is all it's useful for, and once in combat...and that didn't go well. You can't cast spells, not even to heal yourself or the horse, which is just stupid. :roll:

The fact Bethesda added it for free sounds good on paper, but it's a useless extra really unless they do some more work on it, and I doubt that will happen,

On the other hand the Convenient Horses mod actually makes riding a pleasure, especially with the quick dismount when combat starts among it's many other nice features.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
ramunc
Unsteady Sworduser

I don't know how many, if any played the first Two Worlds, but i could swear that Bethesda got their horse combat ideas from it...Running around a target like a headless chicken, the horse with a mind of it's own, only to be frustrated and giving up on the whole mounted combat thing.And for the life of me, i don't see what's the big problem in getting something like this right.Back in 2005 i was reading an interview of some developer that said that the RPG genre don't really need horses, just give a player some boots with +50 speed and everthing will work out.At the time i was really pissed, but now seeing how a major developer does it...i kinda agree with the guy.
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

I agree with most of what you're saying. However Horse combat with bow when starting far from the target is still an "interesting" experience. And even though I don't use much horses I still thing horse mount has to be present in a RPG game...
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Maigrets
Admin

I played the first Two Worlds and thought it was quite good for it's time, a cross between Oblivion and the Gothic games. At least horse combat in that game worked...a bit...and you had a skill tree to improve horse control and combat. That was something that wasn't really finished according to the developers so you never saw NPC's on horses either.
but i could swear that Bethesda got their horse combat ideas from it.
Bethesda got most of their ideas for almost everything from other games and especially Oblivion modders. It's so obvious that it's almost like they didn't really try and anyone who has played Oblivion modded would see that immediately. Trouble is they implemented a lot of those things very poorly.
And even though I don't use much horses I still thing horse mount has to be present in a RPG game...
I agree, especially for this type of game world where horses would, or should be a major part of transport and getting from place to place...as long as it's done well, and unfortunately I can't think of a game where it is done properly.

I have read that the Mount and Blade games do it well, but I haven't played any of them. Considering the name of the game you would think they would have it right so other developers should be able to. Bethesda said themselves they didn't put much work into horses in Skyrim which is a pity, but then Bethesda games are always a 1/2 finished canvas left to modders to fix and enhance IMHO, so it's no surprise to me.
Gekko64
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

so true. problem is, they know we're all going to buy them no matter how buggy they are, because there's nobody else selling TES-like games of a quality comparable to Bethesda's.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Gekko64 wrote:so true. problem is, they know we're all going to buy them no matter how buggy they are, because there's nobody else selling TES-like games of a quality comparable to Bethesda's.
Perhaps, but if they do not see how damaging that is for them then they are not so smart as i thought. TES games are great, and the many fans around the world may tolerate a lot of things. But we all have a limit, and if you look around on the Beth forums then you will see that many still complain about bugs introduced by the game from the moment the game came out and with almost every new patch they bring out.

There are times that i think that Bethesda no longer has a wish to continue with the TES Franchise. :-( ( But lets hope that they will not do so. )
Gekko64
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

why should they drop their biggest cash cow? :D
Maigrets
Admin

Gekko64 wrote:why should they drop their biggest cash cow? :D
Game developers make more money from DLC than the original game releases so their cash cow won't be running dry any time soon.

The reason Bethesda do well in sales is because of advertising and pre-release hype, a lot of which is untrue and never makes it into the final release. Also they are now catering mainly to the consoles which brings in a new audience, who by the way are discovering how buggy these games are. Morrowind and Oblivion were released on console, but only after the initial PC release.

I for one will be very dubious about anything Bethesda release in the future and especially if it uses the Gamebryo engine, no matter how much they try to disguise it as a new (Creation) engine. I've seen a thread on the official forums that asked whether it should be left to Bethesda to build the game world and Obsidian (Fallout:NV) to actually create the game play. I would have to agree since NV was 100% better than FO3 IMHO. Trouble is they both used the same engine as the TES games and were as buggy as each other, and still are.

I'm already finding myself getting annoyed with the same things in Skyrim that annoyed me in Oblivion and a lot quicker. The same voices everywhere, no consequences, no faction relations, Radiant quests which I can ignore for the most part except the Thieves Guild to get it up and running, awful balance, level scaling...and more.

I've been going around and trying out various followers to replace my favourite Marcurio. I hired and fired two different males who both had the same voice. That really irked me and the females would be the same. The clone children, and inbred guards, the old women all use the same voice...it's ridiculous. BGS said they have over 70 voice actors this time, but they also have a hell of a lot more NPC's use those voices and they had to keep the game size down because of the consoles so more audio wasn't an option since those files are usually large.

Before anyone asks....The only reasons I still play the game is because of the beautiful world and the great mods that are coming out and because it's the most stable it's ever been since the 1.6 patch (except for some weird CTD's). I'm on my third or fourth character and already the same old quests are boring. I also don't role play like many people do. For example I don't eat, drink or sleep, change out of my armour into clothes to enter a city or any of those things as I don't see any point when there's no immersion from the game. This, to me is an action adventure game with rpg elements, not a real role playing game.

The latest patch is pretty good for me, but only with the USKP because it fixes the dialogue and armour record bugs BGS introduced, not to mention the latest problems with the CK. Many people, like console players, don't have the luxury of mods to fix the game bugs.

Bethesda can't even focus on patching their game properly and they want us to buy their DLC. Not me thanks, not yet. As much as I enjoy their games, the frustration point gets lower, each time. We shouldn't have to tolerate crap and be happy about it. It's a pity there's nothing else around that comes close as far as open world sand box games.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Exactly.