Your Essential Skyrim Mods

A place to discuss anything related to The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim. No spoilers here please.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Yeah i guess it must have been not to long ago, because there where discussions going on about a few mods that did a few dangerous things on the computer. But i doubt the PCB mod was one of them. ( But who knows. :) )
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

I don't think PCB does work in Skyrim. I've tried it and it seems to do nothing whereas in Oblivion you can tell it's doing something after you close the console.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

So is there a way to test it and see what it does...or not? Because if it does nothing then there is no need to keep that esp in my load order.
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:So is there a way to test it and see what it does...or not? Because if it does nothing then there is no need to keep that esp in my load order.
I don't really know to be honest. I might do some research but something like the Streamline mod for Oblivion would be really handy.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Yeah it would be really great if some one was able to make a mod like that for Skyrim
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Hmm i think i just found the thread Gekko64 meant, and there are several posts in there that speak against the usefulness / use of PCB. I think that i am going to remove the Skyrim Performance mod after having read that thread. I am not Doom thinking here, but i am also not going to take a chance that what is spoken of in there, is true and that it might mess something up?

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1415489-pcb-needed/
Maigrets
Admin

I had a quick look on Google and some say pcb does work but you have to do it indoors, not out in the world. Trouble is when it empties the cell buffers loading times increase because that data is no longer in memory and that loading just refills them again. Catch 22. Anyway, as I said I have tried it in the past and it did nothing that I could determine.

Reading through that thread it seems there is no real function to purge buffers in Skyrim and it could do more harm than good. I'd listen to Arthmoor and the other experts in there as they certainly know what they are talking about. Apparently it caused CTD's and other problems in Fallout so even though Skyrim runs on a tweaked engine it's basically the same so it's possible the mod you have is problematic. Try it without and see if there's any change.
Gekko64
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

that's the thread, right :)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I had a quick look on Google and some say pcb does work but you have to do it indoors, not out in the world. Trouble is when it empties the cell buffers loading times increase because that data is no longer in memory and that loading just refills them again. Catch 22. Anyway, as I said I have tried it in the past and it did nothing that I could determine.

Reading through that thread it seems there is no real function to purge buffers in Skyrim and it could do more harm than good. I'd listen to Arthmoor and the other experts in there as they certainly know what they are talking about. Apparently it caused CTD's and other problems in Fallout so even though Skyrim runs on a tweaked engine it's basically the same so it's possible the mod you have is problematic. Try it without and see if there's any change.
I already removed it. :)
Gekko64 wrote:that's the thread, right :)
I hat a feeling it was. :)
Maigrets
Admin

I went to our local EBGames store today and they had Dragonborn for $25 so I purchased it. When I opened the disc box it only had a card with a Steam code so I still had to download it but it only took just over 1/2 an hour. I immediately backed the files up though.

So, now that I've had to update to 1.9 since I can't find an older version of the Unofficial Patch for Dragonborn pre 1.9 (didn't look very hard though) I'll be off to Solstheim when I get other mods updated and sorted out. I'm hoping I can continue with my current character at least for awhile, but I imagine I'll have to start over, but maybe not. If I do I'll go back to warrior style. I'm enjoying playing as a full mage but it's pretty overpowered and I'm only level 30 something.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Yeah at the beginning Mages are weak but once you get them up to the level where you ar now, then they became powerful...especially when using a mod like " Apocalypse Spell Package". And i hope you can continue with your current Mage. ( Despite the fact that she is pretty overpowered. :) ) As for the price for Dragonborn...well looks like a reasonable price to me. I got mine for 19,98 euros.

As for my game, i hat to restart with Nydaoni because really weird things started to happen. Things like with "the Forsworn conspiracy". At the beginning a guard should approach your character to warn you about snooping around, well this did not happen but my character ended up in Cidhna mine. After i escaped from there my character was cleared of every thing, and the guards mentioned that it was good my name was cleared. But just when i approach the main city gate another guard first mentions the thing about having my name cleared...followed by the forced dialoque where he warns me not to snoop around. :o

There where other things like mods no longer working as they should, and as such the game became pretty much unsafe to continue in my opinion. So i removed several mods that where not working any more as intended, removed those that i expected to be causing the problem( Or at least part of it. ) and installed a few new ones. ( Hopefully things will stay normal now for Nydaoni. :)

Active Mod Files:
spoiler:
00 Skyrim.esm
01 Update.esm
02 Dawnguard.esm
03 Dragonborn.esm
04 ApachiiHair.esm
05 RaceCompatibility.esm
06 Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
07 Solstheim Climate Overhaul.esm
08 Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
09 moonpath.esm
0A OblHairs03.esm
0B OblHairs05.esm
0C OblHairs01.esm
0D SPIKE.esm
0E Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp [Version 1.3.1a]
0F Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp [Version 1.2.1]
10 Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp [Version 1.0.2]
11 SoundPropagationOverhaul.esp
12 FixCombatMusic.esp
13 PersonalizedMusic - NoVanillaMusic_v5.0.esp
14 Dead Body Collision.esp
15 DFB - Random Encounters.esp [Version 1.1d]
16 High Level Enemies.esp
17 High Level Enemies - Dawnguard.esp
18 High Level Enemies - Dragonborn.esp
19 Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Default.esp
1A Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons and BOOZE.esp
1B Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp [Version v5.1.1]
1C Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp [Version v0.2]
1D RealisticLootList.esp
1E Svs Super Collection Jewelry.esp
1F SwiftPotion.esp
20 Character Creation Overhaul.esp
21 IMAGINATOR - Visual Control for Skyrim.esp
22 OBIS.esp
23 OBIS Bandit Patrols.esp
24 kuerteeAutoSaveAndTime.esp
25 RaceMenu.esp
26 Player Size Adjuster.esp
27 SkyUI.esp
28 kuerteeAutoSaveAndTime MCM.esp
29 daedric_phelm.esp
2A DLE_en.esp
2B EK_RingLimiter.esp
2C hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
2D UltimateArchersToolbox.esp
2E Thanatos Dragonx.esp
2F UltraVision.esp
30 Unique Uniques.esp [Version 1.2]
31 DeadlyDragons.esp
32 ESFCompanions.esp [Version 0.1.1]
33 Freedom of Speech -- Dawnguard.esp
34 moonpath_questdata.esp
35 bhabhilon.esp
36 NoDeathMod.esp
37 RiversideLodge.esp [Version 1.3.3]
38 TradersChest.esp
39 Run For Your Lives.esp [Version 1.2.1]
3A When Vampires Attack.esp [Version 1.0.1]
3B The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp [Version 1.2.3]
3C WSBP - OriFemale CBBE.esp
3D WSBP - OriMale.esp
3E AchieveThat.esp
++ FSS-No pause between lines.esp
3F Immersive Weapons.esp
40 kuerteeTekuromotosLessPredictableRespawn.esp
41 kuerteeTekuromotosLessPredictableRespawn MCM.esp
42 Skyrim Moon Size x2.0.esp
43 dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
44 dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp
45 Quest Eraser_DG.esp
46 Thieves Guild Requirements.esp
47 RavenRockExpanded.esp
48 Unique Region Names.esp [Version 2.1]
49 Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons.esp
4A Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors.esp
4B Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp
4C Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Interiors.esp
4D Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities and Town Interiors.esp
4E dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
4F SkyRealism - Time and Travel.esp [Version 1.1.]
50 WerewolfMastery.esp
51 Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
52 SMEssentialKills - XC.esp
++ Unleveled_Skyrim_Items.esp
++ Unleveled_Dragonborn_Items.esp
53 Combat Remastered - Magic.esp [Version 1.34]
54 Combat Remastered - Enchantments.esp [Version 1.31]
55 SummonShadowMERCHANT.esp
56 Combat Remastered.esp [Version 1.35b]
57 Combat Remastered - Archery.esp [Version 1.35b]
58 Combat Remastered - Speechcraft.esp [Version 1.35]
59 Combat Remastered - Blessings.esp [Version 1.35]
5A Combat Remastered - Creature Abilities.esp [Version 1.32]
5B DragonCombatOverhaulDragonborn.esp
5C The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp
5D Auto Health, Magicka and Stamina.esp
++ Auto Health, Magicka and Stamina - Customised Settings.esp
5E CCO - Dynamic Skill Progression.esp
5F PerkPointLessSmithing.esp
60 FallOut3Hairs.esp
61 Extended eye colours.esp
62 FlansEyesForSkrim.esp [Version 1.5]
63 OrientalRace.esp
64 3DNPC.esp
65 Upgraded Weapons and Armors.esp
66 Random Alternate Start.esp
67 NormalVampireFaces.esp
68 AlwaysPickUpBooks.esp
69 Purewaters.esp
6A PurewatersDG.esp
6B PurewatersDB.esp
6C SpringtimeForSkyrim.esp
6D GreaterGrassesLite.esp
6E Warburg's 3D Paper World Map - Texture 3.esp
6F warburg's 3d paper world map - dawnguard.esp
70 Warburg's 3D Paper World Map - Dragonborn.esp
71 Bashed Patch, 0.esp
Maigrets
Admin

Sounds like you're having problems. I hope they get sorted out. Did you update to 1.9?

Started Dragonborn and it's awesome. I have to say it's giving me a serious case of the creeps in some places, especially dungeons because of new creatures and spooky sounds. It's so different and I don't know the places...lol. The Morrowind music is nostalgic and very relaxing. I haven't started the main quest, just been wandering around looking at everything and getting into trouble.

Luckily, my mage is fine and it took awhile to get mod updates to replace the old ones I've been using etc, and sorting all that out but it's all going well so far.

Oh, and forget what I said about my mage being overpowered. In Solstheim it's a new kettle of fish. I can hold my own but have to be very careful even at level 40 and almost maxed in Destruction and Alteration. My followers are with me so I don't feel alone...lol. I have some screenshots but will add them later.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Yeah i did update before, but it still happened. But after having restarted with Nydaoni nothing weird has happened so far. As for Dragonborn...well i did mention that from what i hat read so far it looked like it would really fit in with TES games. :D

As far as DB being a new kettle of fish...i hat a feeling it would be better to visit it at a higher level. I will have to wait and see what my warrior type can do after 10 to 15 levels or so. Please do not place screenshots that reveal to much of the main quest...although i would not know which was a picture of a main quest situation and which is not. :grin:
Maigrets
Admin

Please do not place screenshots that reveal to much of the main quest...although i would not know which was a picture of a main quest situation and which is not. :grin:
I wasn't planning on it since you haven't been there yet. I will tell you I got stuck on a door puzzle and had to exit the game twice to look it up and still had a problem. Plus, there was no way out of the area until I did it. :-( The puzzle idea was sound but the execution was a pain for reasons you'll discover. :) I knew what I had to do but couldn't make it work. It seems I wasn't the only one who had trouble. I do have a pic of the door, but it's not a spoiler as you would have to find it in a dark deep place and the shot doesn't give any clues.
Maigrets
Admin

Nice little house mod for Dragonborn called Ravenhome. You get a house after a quest, but it looks like a tomb and it's not very appealing.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/31081#

I gather so much stuff I need a house in Solstheim and I'm going to be there for quite awhile so I don't want to be going back and forth to Skyrim.

Updated mod list. I left SkyRe out this time because I was trying a different combat mod and I wish I hadn't, but next playthrough I'll add it back, that is if the version I was using still works with the 1.9 patch. The newer versions need Dawnguard which i don't have. I might have to look at another overhaul...without the Dawnguard requirements.
spoiler:
Skyrim.esm
Dragonborn.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
ApachiiHairFemales.esm
3rdEraWeaponsMoS.esm
JSwords.esm
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
83Willows_101BUGS_V4_HighRes.esp
Armored Skeleton.esp
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
ExpandedJewelryCrafting.esp
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Climates of Tamriel - lvl-2.esp
Lost Art of the Blacksmith.esp
MissingTotemPuzzlePillars.esp
Point The Way.esp
Prides of Skyrim.esp
Pupetteer Master.esp
Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons v2.0 non glow.esp
SabreFurBag.esp
skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds.esp
Unique BOOZE Bottles.esp
Valdacil's Item Sorting - Soul Gems.esp
Valdacil's Item Sorting - Potions.esp
Valdacil's Item Sorting - Books.esp
Valdacil's Item Sorting - Smithing Smelter Categories.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
SkyUI.esp
1nivPantsArmor.esp
Andragorn_Weapons.esp
Archer's.esp
AsharaPrinceOfTheWoods.esp
calyps-investigator.esp
Cloaks.esp
1nivWICCloaks.esp
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp
DreamBurrowsRegalAssassin.esp
Earrings Set1.esp
Field Mage Outfit.esp
GDRangerDress.esp
GDRangerArmor.esp
HBetterBows.esp
Insanity's Shields.esp
iorvethlightarmor_v_1_3.esp
JSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.esp
LadyKdCirclets.esp
LFArmors.esp
nordicrangerarmor.esp
SabreCat_Gear.esp
SabrecatGear_AncientArmorVs_wFix.esp
theRoadstrokersRogueSorceress.esp
TrissArmorRetextured.esp
VikingArmor.esp
warchiefarmor.esp
3rdEraWeapMoS-replacer.esp
3rdEraWeapMoS-lvlList.esp
3rdEraWeapMoS-rareCraft.esp
Winterscale Armor.esp
zzlovelyfeather.esp
DeadlyDragons.esp
RiversideLodge.esp
BetterQuestObjectives.esp
HorsesGoneWild.esp
Merchants Reply Only With Take A Look.esp
OpenFaceGuardHelmets.esp
SPTUnlimitedAmulets.esp
SPTUnlimitedRings.esp
TheChoiceIsYours.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-TheChoiceIsYoursPatch.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
Combat Remastered - Magic.esp
dovahkiinrelax.esp
Mighty Magick - Alteration.esp
Mighty Magick - Alteration Extras.esp
Mighty Magick - Conjuration.esp
Mighty Magick - Conjuration Extras.esp
Mighty Magick - Destruction.esp
Mighty Magick - Dual Casting.esp
Mighty Magick - Fortify Magic School Enchantment and Alchemy Reversed.esp
Mighty Magick - Illusion.esp
Mighty Magick - Illusion Extras.esp
Mighty Magick - Restoration.esp
Mighty Magick - Restoration Extras.esp
Mighty Magick - Scaling.esp
Combat Remastered.esp
Combat Remastered - Archery.esp
Combat Remastered - 2H to 1H 3rdEraWeapMoS.esp
Fh hairs-by zzjay.esp
Improved Eyes Skyrim.esp
Essential followers - all followers.esp
multifollowerlite.esp
Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp
Follower Trap Safety.esp
FollowerWander2.esp
ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp
Ravenhome.esp
PlayerHomeMapMarkers.esp
VBMailArmors.esp
duhranger.esp
MageBackpack_byTumbajamba.esp
Combat Remastered - Creature Abilities.esp
Combat Remastered - Speechcraft.esp
Tropical Skyrim.esp
Tropical Skyrim -- Birds.esp
inkspottedtea_TropicalAnimals_Zebra.esp
ISDScimitar.esp
DogSpotsFollower.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

I will take a look at the housemod, thanks for the link. :)

Not every one likes the same mods of course, but i am curious...what is it that you do not like about Combat remastered? Either way, should it be so that the SkyRe version you have no longer works with the 1.9 patch, then you might want to take a look at this one...

Skyrim Unleashed

It has a version for the vanilla game and one for DG+DB, maybe the vanilla version will still work with DB installed?

There is also this mod...

Requiem

It to has a non Dawnguard version, but as the author mentions, it is highly outdated. ( Which is true by the way. :) )

Both mods are very difficult at first, but you will get better at surviving. Should you try out Requiem, be aware that magic users are extremely powerful in this mod. It can be changed a bit by console commands and optional plugins a bit but they remain very powerful. ( If you do not see a mage before they see you in Requiem then..."Reload time". ) If i hat not found Combat remastered, i would have played through the entire game with Skyrim Unleashed at least once, it looks really interesting.
Maigrets
Admin

Yes, I saw that Requiem is outdated unfortunately as that's one I would like to try. I'll give Skyrim Unleashed a look. Thanks for the link. :) The version of SkyRe I have has been fine through a couple of patches so it should still work.

Well, Combat Remastered doesn't seem any different to me than vanilla and the combat perks are basically the same. Maybe it's because I'm playing a mage and don't notice it as I keep my distance. I don't use weapons at all except for the odd occasion when I need a blade, and I became overpowered as I mentioned before...in Skyrim at least.

I'm really getting to hate Kill Cams. :( I'm wondering if something changed in 1.9 because they seem to trigger too often and in the wrong time frame. It used to happen sometimes before but not nearly as often and sometimes they pause the game as though it's going to crash. Worse than that, they trigger before an enemy is anywhere near low on health. A Reaver in Dragonborn was rushing me with a huge 2 hander and even though I was far enough away the kill cam triggered and "somehow" he was able to power attack me to death. I had 3 kill cams trigger on one enemy and he still didn't die.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

With Combat Remastered close combat does feel different then vanilla, especially with the damage reduction you get from armours and such. Requiem is i think the better one when it comes to challenge and overcoming those. But Skyrim Unleashed has it charms as well i believe. :)

As for the killmoves...well i use Dances of Death Ultimate edition ( A version for the DLC's. ) so i get a killmove frequently. ( Well every time actually, i have it set like that, i like killmoves. :) ) I also get those short freezes at times but i got them with the 1.8 patch as well so it is not something from the 1.9 patch.
Maigrets
Admin

I decided to try this mod last week and I'm very happy with it. It improves the magic animations so you don't look like you have a bad stomach ache when casting or just idling with a spell active. Plus there's a better idle stance for using weapons. I've always been a bit dubious of animation mods, especially back in the Oblivion days, but this one is very good. I was a bit concerned it would make males look feminine as some of the other anim mods do, but it doesn't.

YY Anim Replacer - Mystic Knight.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33914
Maigrets
Admin

Anyone using HiAlgo Boost?
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15123

I was just reading up on it and it seems like a good idea. Before I upgraded to my current PC I used GameBooster sometimes to run Oblivion better but I don't really want to use it now as it does affects the whole operating system rather than game specific adjustments.

I generally don't have too many issues with my game these days, but with a lot of mods, particularly Hi-res armours and other texture replacers I end up getting longer loading times and the awful stuttering when looking around after playing for a short time. I know I'm not alone there.

The most annoying problem I have is when I exit a building or dungeon and having to wait a minute for the game to settle down and usually it runs smoothly afterwards. Trouble is I often forget to stay still and NOT move the mouse or look around behind me and end up with awful jerking and stuttering. It's hardly noticeable in Solstheim in it's own world space, but in Skyrim since it has a lot more to load it can be frustrating.

Disabling mouse acceleration helps a bit but it doesn't last and I'm not going to disable V-Sync as that causes all sorts of problems with the game.

I guess I can try it, but I just wondered if anyone here had any feedback out of interest sake. :)