1.9 Beta update on Steam.

A place to discuss anything related to The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim. No spoilers here please.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Oh oh seems a new patch will be coming in the near future. ( Okay it is still Beta but still. ) Here is a link to the Bethesda thread by GStaff.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/144755 ... -on-steam/
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Yes. I've been reading a lot about it on the Official forums. A LOT of bug fixes this time. As usual it means waiting for mods to be updated, however the wait might be longer than previous updates considering the script changes and other stuff they've changed. Many of those can't be done until the CK is updated, especially the Unofficial Patch and any mod that changes Perks and skills like SkyRe etc.

I also read that SkyUI has problems with the new patch and the new Legendary settings but they know about it so hopefully they can fix it. No way I'm going back to the default UI voluntarily. At least while the Patch is in Beta they have a bit of time, I guess.

From what I've been reading about this Legendary setting ...well, all I'll say is it's a cheap way to increase leveling and I agree with "rylasasin" on this page. Post 474.
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/144755 ... e__st__450

What's the point in role playing a specialized character and having several characters with different skill sets and roles etc, when the game encourages you to do everything with one character. More than it already does anyway. At least Legendary as they are proposing seems to be optional.

Must remember to keep Steam offline for the foreseeable future when the Patch goes live for when the time comes that I want to play again. I feel for some of the modders who have a lot of work ahead of them, especially the overhaul mods and others that will be affected more than usual this time round.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Yeah i do not see any use in the Legendary stuff either. I Have for now set steam to not auto update Skyrim, and so far that setting is kept as i set it...so we will see whether steam will indeed honour that fact. ( Probably not. ) Oh yeah going offline is indeed a good idea as well, thanks for the reminder on that one.

The new patch will indeed cause a lot of problems for modders, so as usual Bethesda did not think it through correctly. ( Perhaps not even at all, would not surprise me. )
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

The new patch will indeed cause a lot of problems for modders, so as usual Bethesda did not think it through correctly. ( Perhaps not even at all, would not surprise me. )
Well, I suppose as some say Bethesda only have to worry about how the the vanilla game is affected, but since it is a moddable game and they expect people to mod it and use mods, I do wonder. At least they will update the CK sometime so it can be done.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

It is entirely unreasonable to say one game cant have a feature because another has it. If developers all followed that rule then no game would have any features ever.
That said i do agree with that post you linked that it would be nice to see some more interesting features. I would really like to see some sort of harcore mode like what FNV had, if only for the sake of keeping esp count down. :p
Maigrets
Admin

It is entirely unreasonable to say one game cant have a feature because another has it. If developers all followed that rule then no game would have any features ever.
I'm pretty sure I did not say that. I agree with you. Originality is hard to come by these days when just about everything has been done in many different ways. It's how a new feature is implemented that matters not if it's used in another game.
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

I know you didnt say it, i was just responding here to the comment you linked. :)
Appologies for any misunderstanding.
Maigrets
Admin

Gork712 wrote:I know you didnt say it, i was just responding here to the comment you linked. :)
Appologies for any misunderstanding.
No problems. :) I should have said I agree with most of the post I quoted, not all. I still think the way Beth is adding the skill increases is cheap. They could have followed Elys Uncapper example and looked at some of the overhaul mods that do it properly. That's just my opinion. I can't see any point in increasing enemy health and crippling the player just as a fake way of adding difficulty. Maybe they'll take some of the suggestions on board before the patch goes final. I doubt it though but might be surprised.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Carefull every one patch 1.9 is now released. ( Thankfully i have my game in offline mode, and with disabled auto update for Skyrim. :) )
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:Carefull every one patch 1.9 is now released. ( Thankfully i have my game in offline mode, and with disabled auto update for Skyrim. :) )
Thanks for the heads up. I checked yesterday and it wasn't released. I wonder if they addressed the issues people were reporting...lol...like every patch.

I've got a new Steam game coming next week so I'm going to have to back up my Skyrim folder or something because I don't want any changes at the moment with my game running so well.

Apparently there's a mod on the Nexus that actually stops Steam updating the game since the option in Steam doesn't work. I can't remember the name but I'm going to find out.

Edit: I think this is it but it seems it doesn't work as intended anymore. I think the best thing to do is back up the whole directory and hope for the best.
Skyrim Unplugged
http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/ ... unplugged/