Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Well the size might not be because of the SweetFX. The few screenshots i made after you started playing the game are all 6.25mb?
I seem to have confused the issue...lol. What I meant was a few 100 screenshots of that size is quite a large amount, not to mention a lot to go through checking for what to keep etc. The actual file size is normal, not due to SweetFX. In Skyrim my screenshots are over 7mb BMP format before I convert them.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Ah so that is how you meant it ... oops. :grin:
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

I purchased both DLC's today, Legend of Dead Kel (810mb) and Teeth of Naros (911mb), each $9.99 and so far it's been very worthwhile. Each is supposed to be well over 10 hours of playtime. I'm playing Dead Kel first since Teeth of Naros is a large flying island and once you go there you can't leave until the main quest is done.

Dead Kel is an undead pirate and I've already met him which I thought was rather quick, however it was just so he could warn me to go away and never return on pain of death or worse, which if course I'm not going to do. :P

I've already gained myself a giant Keep as my own house. Ironically, the only thing that can be used is the bed, mirror and Stash chest but there is a vendor outside and when it's finished I imagine it will have crafting stations as well. It does have a Beast master who trains beasts for you and they give passive bonuses. You can only have 3 at a time, but there's a large choice and I can't get that until all the repairs are finished which means I have to gather more materials.

The Keep was a ruin and infested with monsters at first, but a fellow called Paddy has renovated it for me...after I did all the work to find repair materials of course. There are a lot of new weapons and armours and other collectibles in both DLC's.
Arrival after working my way through a cave with the incompetent captain of the ship that we sailed on. She is a great character though, but every ship she has captained has sunk and all hands have died. :shock: There's a story behind it.

Gravehal Keep after repairs, but it's still not finished.

Inside the Keep

Paddy told me to sit in the throne since now he thinks I'm his Leige Mistress, and this monster erupted from the floor as I did so. It wasn't easy either. A couple of deaths...It has a very large AOE spell that knocks you down and the space is small so it's hard to avoid and there are also other minions. Stupidly in the heat of battle I totally forgot to use Fateshift.. :roll:

Entrance to Gallows End. The village you come to on arrival.

Dead Kel Map. It's a lot larger than it looks.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

I see that the DLC is as beautiful as the rest ... although that was to be expected of course. :grin:

So is the blue on the middle left area of the third picture from below an effect from that AeO attack ... it kinda looks out of place in an otherwise good looking screenshot?
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:I see that the DLC is as beautiful as the rest ... although that was to be expected of course. :grin:
Yes, and so far I'm getting more than 10 hours out of this DLC and I've still got a lot to do. I have been spending a lot of time gathering materials to get the keep fully upgraded and it now has an Armoury and will soon have a large Library as well as tunnnels that lead out to various areas of the island. It also has an arena where you can train combat and you get money or weapons as prizes if you break the previous time record.

I now have my pets lol, ..a bear, a wolf and a Bargest. The other choices were Boggarts, spiders, Brownies and rats. Unfortunately you can't take them as followers but they give small bonuses. Wolf, extra damage, bear, extra health and the Bargest gives magic resistance. You have to feed them to increase the bonus but it has a cap. I don't know what the other creatures give but they didn't appeal to me...lol.

Something I have noticed is they have put more detail into the NPC faces with a lot more variation and even the humans who say they are old, look older. Even some of the Fae have different features.

I'm level 24 atm and by the time I do the other DLC and the other half of the main game I'll be well and truly at 40. I don't know if it would have been a better idea for them to raise the level cap or not, but they haven't. Leveling is fast enough without using the potions that give extra XP. I pick them up as loot but I sell them.

I was thinking that the amount of gold I have, over (400,000), is a bit much and rewards and drops are very high, but when I saw some of the prices for gear in Rathir and other places I understand why. Some robes and weapons cost 500,000 gold, not that I think they are really necessary, at least at the point I am in the game I suppose. Maybe playing with the difficulty mod they would have a lot of benefit though with very high resistances and bonuses.
So is the blue on the middle left area of the third picture from below an effect from that AeO attack ... it kinda looks out of place in an otherwise good looking screenshot?
I think that was his frost attack. He has a few different ones....he's versatile. The AOE is red and it covers most of the arena so it's hard to avoid. I have a shield but I never remember to use it. It must somehow have some use though as it degrades and has to be repaired like my other gear. It's more of a talisman with resistances than an actual shield.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:
I think that was his frost attack. He has a few different ones....he's versatile. The AOE is red and it covers most of the arena so it's hard to avoid. I have a shield but I never remember to use it. It must somehow have some use though as it degrades and has to be repaired like my other gear. It's more of a talisman with resistances than an actual shield.
Ah I see, did you do the Forsworn main quest? During that one you can get/find a few items that can help against the Niskaru?

But it is good training for you. :) I found out that once I continue with Eiltahl on Klurikon then the quest I accepted when I got to Mel Shenshir will eventually put me face to face against this Niskaru Lord. :shock:
Maigrets wrote:I was thinking that the amount of gold I have, over (400,000), is a bit much and rewards and drops are very high, but when I saw some of the prices for gear in Rathir and other places I understand why. Some robes and weapons cost 500,000 gold, not that I think they are really necessary, at least at the point I am in the game I suppose. Maybe playing with the difficulty mod they would have a lot of benefit though with very high resistances and bonuses.
You call 400.000 gold at level 24 a bit much ...Maigrets my main character is level 29 and I have over 2 million gold. :grin: Even if you craft yourself then there are times that you may need to buy a few things, and the higher your characters level the more expensive things can become.
Maigrets
Admin

Ah I see, did you do the Forsworn main quest? During that one you can get/find a few items that can help against the Niskaru?

But it is good training for you. :) I found out that once I continue with Eiltahl on Klurikon then the quest I accepted when I got to Mel Shenshir will eventually put me face to face against this Niskaru Lord. :shock:
I haven't done that quest yet..I have so many in my quest log.lol. Is that Balor, because I saw a video of him when I was looking for something. The guy fighting him made it look easy, just hit, dodge, hit avoid his beam etc.

I do have a necklace that does extra damage against Niskaru but that was early on and I only used it a few times. I have better ones that have good bonuses for magic damage and I got a couple of new rings and necklaces in the DLC that are better again.
You call 400.000 gold at level 24 a bit much ...Maigrets my main character is level 29 and I have over 2 million gold. :grin: Even if you craft yourself then there are times that you may need to buy a few things, and the higher your characters level the more expensive things can become.
Yeah, I would probably have that much as well but I often have to destroy items or I salvage them to craft even though I have purchased a couple of backpacks and have the house Stash. I make my own potions and I only really buy lockpicks and repair kits. My character is Finesse/magic so I wear light armour and dodge a lot.

I don't think I've really got the hang of blacksmithing yet. I have made some better bows and Faeblades than what I get in loot, but as far as armour I don't seem to be able to find the right mix of materials to make something better than a dropped item. My blacksmithing is maxed now and I still can't salvage blue or purple items, some of which aren't really that good compared to others. I haven't really bothered with socket gems and haven't leveled Sagecraft much so maybe it's something to look at. At level 24 there aren't many points left.

I only have 4 points in lockpicking as it's so easy, or I often force the lock and hardly ever break picks. The warded chests are a pain though, I can't get that minigame right, but I put enough points in it to make it slightly easier. Been cursed a number of times and often find the loot in them is crap anyway and it's so easy to just go to a Healer. I must be immune to disease because I've only caught one and I can make a Purification potion anyway.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I haven't done that quest yet..I have so many in my quest log.lol. Is that Balor, because I saw a video of him when I was looking for something. The guy fighting him made it look easy, just hit, dodge, hit avoid his beam etc.
Yeah that is Balor, and I guess He/It is easy once you know how to fight it. I guess that once I play KoAR again i will at least watch one or two video's of the fight against Balor.
Maigrets wrote:I do have a necklace that does extra damage against Niskaru but that was early on and I only used it a few times. I have better ones that have good bonuses for magic damage and I got a couple of new rings and necklaces in the DLC that are better again.
Yeah the St.Hadwyn's Beads necklace can be gained by any one without joining the Forsworn. But during their main quest you will gain a two handed Hammer called The Mystic Hammer. ( Showing this does not mean you know where and how to get it. :) ) And of course you should have some skill in two handed weapons to make it more effective.

And then you can also get this ... ( Depending on what you do at the end of the Forsworn main quest. )

But if you can use those three together then it is quit effective. :)
Maigrets wrote:Yeah, I would probably have that much as well but I often have to destroy items or I salvage them to craft even though I have purchased a couple of backpacks and have the house Stash. I make my own potions and I only really buy lockpicks and repair kits. My character is Finesse/magic so I wear light armour and dodge a lot.

I don't think I've really got the hang of blacksmithing yet. I have made some better bows and Faeblades than what I get in loot, but as far as armour I don't seem to be able to find the right mix of materials to make something better than a dropped item. My blacksmithing is maxed now and I still can't salvage blue or purple items, some of which aren't really that good compared to others. I haven't really bothered with socket gems and haven't leveled Sagecraft much so maybe it's something to look at. At level 24 there aren't many points left.

I only have 4 points in lockpicking as it's so easy, or I often force the lock and hardly ever break picks. The warded chests are a pain though, I can't get that minigame right, but I put enough points in it to make it slightly easier. Been cursed a number of times and often find the loot in them is crap anyway and it's so easy to just go to a Healer. I must be immune to disease because I've only caught one and I can make a Purification potion anyway.
The fact that Lock picking is so easy is the reason I never put more then one point in it. As for getting a disease ... I think that there is only a very small chance of getting one. Because in 29 levels I only got a disease twice. On the other hand it could be one of the bugs in this game?
Maigrets
Admin

Yeah the St.Hadwyn's Beads necklace can be gained by any one without joining the Forsworn. But during their main quest you will gain a two handed Hammer called The Mystic Hammer. ( Showing this does not mean you know where and how to get it. :) ) And of course you should have some skill in two handed weapons to make it more effective.
I hope that doesn't mean I have to use the hammer since I have barely any points in Might, let alone heavy weapons. :-(

Well, I've killed Dead Kel and therefore the MQ of the DLC, but there are still some side quests and the Keep to finish. I don't really know if I would bother teleporting back to the island after finishing the home as the Stash and crafting stations and vendors can be found in other places, but it a nice addition. The Keep has turned out to be very, very large and looks very impressive though.

You have to be level 10 to start this DLC, but there are some very strong new enemies so doing it at that level would be pretty hard, unless of course enemies are leveled with you like in Oblivion. I know areas are leveled so that the first time you enter the mobs stay at that level, so I'm not sure about the rest. Other enemies are basically the same, but upgraded versions, except for bosses.
The Pets. The bear seems to have some kind of sleeping disorder as it never stands up and always rolls around on the ground. Since it's not an enemy it stays in it's "idle" mode. I think that poor chicken has nightmares...lol

The Requiem, Dead Kel's ship. I had to liberate it from a TON of enemies and a boss. It's also so I can leave the island, and go back and forth later if I want.

A painting I discovered that gave me a bonus in mana recovery. I've only found that one so I don't know yet if there are more.

Root Golem, one of the new, or I suppose you could say upgraded enemies. It's a lot harder than the other golems and can burrow under the ground to erupt beneath you, as well as throwing things at you. The best strategy I found was to shock it with my spell to stun it and then melee or shoot it with arrows.
The Tree God Akara who wants us to kill Dead Kel. Akara was the cause of his existence in the first place, but he became too powerful.

Dead Kel

A Fate Door which I have to use my innate power to open.

Dead Kel Twist of Fate. There is another Twist as well that comes before this to do with becoming a God..lol
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

No you do not have to use it in a fight if you do not want to. As I mentioned ... you need to have a few points in two handed to make it better. With out points in two handed you only have the default hammer attacks. And those pretty much suck, also using a Hammer requires precise timing to make the attack count. ( Hammers are the slowest weapons in KoAR. )

If the keep looks very impressive then I would finish things up there first. The pets must be really useful when attacked by a big group, also the Requiem and the Tree God Akara look really impressive. Nice Twist of Fate you gained there by the way. :)
Maigrets
Admin

If the keep looks very impressive then I would finish things up there first.
I have finished the Keep now except for the Art gallery where I need to collect paint pigments from monsters so the artist can restore some old paintings. As I said before it's a pity that you get such a huge home and very little is functional. You have a bed you can sleep in but can't sit at the dining table or take the food etc, even though if I could I'd only do it once as I don't do the role play thing in any rpg really.

There are now a lot of NPC's though, pet trainer, combat trainer, gardener, vendors and many others, some of whom will go on daily missions for you to collect things. The gardener is an Alchemy trainer except I don't have enough points in it yet to take advantage. Need level 7 in alchemy.

Collecting the materials isn't such a chore since you can do that while doing other quests as they are usually in loot caches and sometimes on monsters.

The thing I really like is that I get recognition for what I've done for the people and now I'm their monarch, down to the fact that if I sit in my throne I can have people come to me to petition for things they need the way they did in real medieval times. I don't really care so much about being the monarch, but the fact that people know what I've done, as I do it, and they don't continue to treat me like a peasant. There was a lot of thought put into it IMHO.
The pets must be really useful when attacked by a big group, also the Requiem and the Tree God Akara look really impressive. Nice Twist of Fate you gained there by the way. :)
Sadly, you can't take them with you. They stay in the pen and just wander around. Once you've fed them a few times and they give their bonuses you never need them again really. You can change pets though and I think you keep the bonuses but I'm not sure about that.

All in all this DLC has been worth the money many times over in my opinion. Now I don't know whether to do the other one first or continue with the main game, since if I do go to the Teeth of Naros I can't leave until it's done and I believe it's even longer than Dead Kel.
Maigrets
Admin

These are the main buildings of the finished Keep, which include an armoury, library, art gallery, the main room with the throne and dining area, sleeping quarters, and a tower on the top. There are others areas you can't see, like the combat training area, animal pens, garden, vendor stalls and other small additions.

Art gallery. After collecting the rare paint essences for the artist to restore old paintings, the paintings give you small one time bonuses. Nothing earth shattering...lol, but useful. There are six in total.

Sitting on the throne where I am petitioned by an NPC to help with her problem.

The reason the island is called Gallow's End. The people there are not really very nice beneath their friendly veneer, which is why in certain quests I did things that didn't benefit them without messing things up for myself. For example they banish people to the wilderness with no food or supplies at the mercy of the monsters if they don't fit in with their screwed up philosophy/religion. I've helped all these exiled people and given them a place at my keep.

Great jump into a lake. Not a unique thing but I decided to take a screenshot. This was inside a dungeon which, along with many of the others in the game, nicely designed IMHO.

Yes buddy, it's a chicken and you can't get at it...My summoned Faer Gota seems to prefer killing chickens, crabs and antelopes as much as "real" enemies...lol. He is useful as a distraction in fights, but if there are passive creatures around he will murder them first, and with great zeal. It's almost as though he's programmed to go after them at all costs. :grin:
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

WOW the Keep looks really massive ... and good as well. And what a benevolent ruler of the keep you are, helping out those who are banished. :)

The Faer Gorta is I believe a overprotective bodyguard ... with indeed a one track mind, attack every creature that approaches his maker. :grin:
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:WOW the Keep looks really massive ... and good as well. And what a benevolent ruler of the keep you are, helping out those who are banished. :)
Saviour of the downtrodden, that's me... :grin: I'm not completely virtuous though as I get rewards for helping them and I can't refuse the reward even if I wanted to...lol. But the main reason is to undermine the the villagers, especially the leader.
The Faer Gorta is I believe a overprotective bodyguard ... with indeed a one track mind, attack every creature that approaches his maker. :grin:
Sometimes his AI seems to take a rest, lol, in that he won't attack anything until I do and sometimes not even then until he realizes something is happening, but at other times he's Leeroy Jenkins :ninja: and is in the fight before I get close enough to the enemy to tag them. He does sneak if I do though and follows when I jump.
Maigrets
Admin

Broke the siege at Mel Senshir. That was a lot of fun with some cool cut scenes and a few bosses besides the main big one, Balor. In fact he was pretty easy and I hesitate to call him a boss since all he does is jab his claws into the ground so you can hit him, puts his head down for the same reason, which was a bit odd really, and has an infrequent hand swipe that I saw only twice. Otherwise he has a breath attack which is pretty harmless if you have a good shield, and a beam attack which also can be fully blocked. He has a lot of health, but a good dps weapon knocks that down fairly fast especially since he virtually lets you kill him. :-o

The next area is dark and swampy with some new enemies I haven't seen before, not just upgraded ones.
The monster approaches, sweeping away the soldiers in his wake.

A few more hits...

Siegebreaker Twist of fate

The Tuatha troops march forth

Entering the city of Adessa, home of the Gnomes. The main cities in this game are MASSIVE.

Parade. lol I was just coming through a load screen and all these people followed me. It looked funny at the time.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

So Balor is more show then power, that is good to know. :)

As for the size of the towns ... yeah there are big towns in this game al right. Adessa is one of the biggest if I remember correctly, and the gnomes in their uniforms and praetorian armour look funny indeed. :grin:
Maigrets
Admin

Started the Teeth of Naros DLC tonight and I like it so far. I haven't gotten far as yet and have only just reached the floating city of Idylla after completing a quest to rid the surrounding countryside of a Jotun Warlord and his tribe. The DLC is influenced by ancient Greek mythology. The people are called Kollossae and they are giants.

@ Fessels,
I can see why you want to try the Heartcore mod. I'm playing on hard and hardly ever lose health, except sometimes in a boss fight and then not much. All the potions and ingredients I've collected never get used, though I do use a mana potion now and again. This DLC is a bit harder, but only a little. I may try the mod on another playthrough but I don't want to go completely the other way and make it ridiculously hard so it's not enjoyable.

All the bonuses, even though small, from Twists of Fate, completed sets of Lorestones, Epic armour (self crafted) and others all add up, but it's not balanced enough to make the combat challenging past a certain point. Most rpg's seem to do this though so it's not just KOAR.
Surprise!!!

New type of enemy called the Pteryx, which is a bit like a giant Dodo and come in packs.

The city above before clearing the way to transport there.

Not sure where that leads, but I suspect it's not friendly.

Comparison between the Kollossae and my character. Since I'm there to save their people from disaster and get their god on side again, they are very friendly and eager to help me, which is a bit suspicious. But, that might just be me expecting them to turn on me at some point...lol
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:Started the Teeth of Naros DLC tonight and I like it so far. I haven't gotten far as yet and have only just reached the floating city of Idylla after completing a quest to rid the surrounding countryside of a Jotun Warlord and his tribe. The DLC is influenced by ancient Greek mythology. The people are called Kollossae and they are giants.
The screenshots of that City look impressive, but in this case I have to ask myself ... why would a once so evolved race of Giants need the help of the Fateless one. Good thing that everything is possible in a Fantasy RPG game. :grin:
Maigrets wrote:@ Fessels,
I can see why you want to try the Heartcore mod. I'm playing on hard and hardly ever lose health, except sometimes in a boss fight and then not much. All the potions and ingredients I've collected never get used, though I do use a mana potion now and again. This DLC is a bit harder, but only a little. I may try the mod on another playthrough but I don't want to go completely the other way and make it ridiculously hard so it's not enjoyable.

All the bonuses, even though small, from Twists of Fate, completed sets of Lorestones, Epic armour (self crafted) and others all add up, but it's not balanced enough to make the combat challenging past a certain point. Most rpg's seem to do this though so it's not just KOAR.
Yeah once you know the attack pattern of the creatures in the default game and reach level 20+ then it becomes easy, it is why some one made that Heartcore mod. Finding balance in games is indeed a common problem in current games.
Maigrets
Admin

Finished The Teeth of Naros. I had a glitch twice on the final boss fight, (which was actually quite a hard fight...lol,) where the mandatory follower got stuck and wouldn't appear where she was supposed to. I had to do it three times, and there's a lot of fighting on the way to the boss so it took awhile, but finally managed to get her there the final time. She seemed to get stuck on scenery or something and refused to move on.

Anyway, I enjoyed the DLC quite a lot. I got a heap of new gear, which unfortunately in most cases wasn't as good as what I crafted myself, but probably if one goes there a lot earlier in the game it would be very useful. I'm 1/2 way to level 37 now and still have a fair bit to do in the main game.

There's a new type of magic in the DLC called Primal Magic which can be applied to weapons and some magical enemies, usually Sprites have this as well. It's a bonus that negates enemy elemental resistances and can be very deadly to them.

A few screenshots:
Part of the floating city of Idylla which is not quite as large as some on the mainland, but there's a fairly big area down below with a lot to do.

A mural

Feeding the fish by using that large switch. There are several little things you can do like this...watering plants in pots and others I can't remember atm..lol. Just nice little details.

The room of traps which is made a lot easier if you have the "blink" dodge, which I do. Otherwise I think you would be hit a lot, especially by the rotating floor blades and the swinging ones are quite fast as well. This is in a very large dungeon where you traverse three areas to get a reward of a bow, greatsword and helm. It was mostly puzzle orientated and maze like, which was a bit annoying in one part with a lot of jumping to and from platforms at all sorts of confusing levels.

At the end you are awarded a set of armour. The game decides what you get based on your playstyle and skills so I got the Primal Robes which is mage gear, even though my skills are 1/2 sorcery and 1/2 Finesse. I do use a lot of magic though so I guess it's fitting.

The Teeth of Naros Twist of Fate.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Damn it continues to look great, and the new armour combined with the Faeblades give quit a special look to your character. :)