Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Posts: 1451
Joined: December 24th, 2010
Gender: Male
Born in: 1969
Location: Netherlands

October 18th, 2014

Maigrets wrote:Well, I'm going to say it.... so far in this game I'm enjoying it so much more than Skyrim which I can only play so heavily modded it's almost unrecognizable to the vanilla game. In KOAR the NPC's are interesting, the combat is excellent, even fetch quests have an extra flair to them, and most importantly, it runs smoothly, only has loading screens entering new locations which are almost instant, and it has never crashed....yet.

It's quite sad the developers went of of business because they did a great job with KOAR.
LoL your hooked. :grin: I also never hat any crashes with KoAR. That 38 Studios went down is even more sad because of this ...

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/28/kingd ... roduction/
Maigrets wrote:I've done all that and got the house, as well as paid for the extras. It sure takes the pressure off collecting so much stuff. I didn't know that about Nanne, but I've done her quest. Nice tip, thanks. :)

Those damn spiders scare the heck out of me very time they spring out of the ground, and now I have to take on "The Widow." I assume this is going to be a boss fight so I'm not sure whether to leave it for a bit ore try it now. Only one way to find out I guess.

It's really easy to get lost, but that's half the fun, and I've found some good gear by just roaming around and other stuff I can beak down to craft more...lol.
Nanne is small but she has a big purse. :) As for the widow ... well she is a Boss and she does not come alone. This is a fight where Faeblades should help very well if timed correctly. Try to finish the other creatures first while keeping an eye on the Widow, after her minions are dead go after the Widow and show no mercy. If she teleports then use your bow first if she is to far away for a melee fight, and then run towards her. Should her attacks be a hinder then first kill the closest minions and then get a few hits in on her ... then a few minions etcetera.
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

October 19th, 2014

Nanne is small but she has a big purse. :) As for the widow ... well she is a Boss and she does not come alone. This is a fight where Faeblades should help very well if timed correctly. Try to finish the other creatures first while keeping an eye on the Widow, after her minions are dead go after the Widow and show no mercy. If she teleports then use your bow first if she is to far away for a melee fight, and then run towards her. Should her attacks be a hinder then first kill the closest minions and then get a few hits in on her ... then a few minions etcetera.
That sounds like fun. :grin: I've had my share of bosses with Dark Souls 2 so it shouldn't be too bad, although different mechanics and all that.

By the way...have you ever played Divinity 2:The Dragon Knight Saga? It came out in 2010 and is very similar in game play. Larian Studios is a very small studio and made an awesome game. They also made previous Divinity games but they were a bit different and not my thing. This game has combat very much like KOAR, very fluid and fast, good puzzles and a well realized world. It's an rpg and as the name suggests there are dragons. You can't ride a dragon, BUT you can BE a dragon, but that comes around 1/2 way through.

I can't believe I'd forgotten about it and I was just going through some games and found it. I put in well over 100 hours in that game and thinking about it I may just play again since it has great replay value. It's a remake of their original game called Ego Draconis with the added expansion Flames of Vengeance. The voice acting is superb as well.

The forums are here:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads ... =47&page=1

This is part of a review I wrote: It was even answered by one of the dev team.
spoiler:
The things, in my opinion that make this an epic game:

1. The intelligent varied dialogue and often laugh out loud humour without being silly.
2. Logical puzzles that really make you think and stretch your imagination. Sometimes can be maddening when you can't find something, but that's the way I like it. It's a real achievement when you finally find that person or object you've scoured the landscape for, and it feels good to have solved it without in game hand holding.
3. Excellent voice acting. I'm positive I haven't played any game with better voices.
4. Beautiful music that I don't immediately want to turn off.
5. Fast and furious, yet fluid combat - dual wielding rocks!
6. Intuitive magic and leveling system.
7. Beautiful fantasy landscapes. Graphics are outstanding.
8. The writing in the books is very good and sometimes gives hints. I especially liked the one on how to avoid Trolls and the Hitchhiker's Guide was a nice surprise.
9. Great idea with the creature and being able to upgrade it. He/it saved me many times.
10. Very good story and meaningful quests. I was impressed with the ending of DKS and how it wasn't the same old fairy tale ending.
11. Love the variation of armour and weapons.
12. Consequences for your actions and different ways to solve quests. Even though the game is directing you to the same conclusion it doesn't feel linear because of this.
13. Extremely stable - never ever crashes or glitches. For me anyway. I see some have had problems and I can only go by my own experience.
14. Developers who care about their fan base. This I have never seen before and to such a degree. Kudos to the Larian team.

It's obvious Larian Studios put a LOT of love and dedication into this game and it shows. They are a small development team, but they do it right and are to be commended for their support and care for their customers.
Here's a small trailer: It shows the player as a dragon actually, flying around a fortress to destroy it. I haven't looked but I'm sure it would be on Steam.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Posts: 1451
Joined: December 24th, 2010
Gender: Male
Born in: 1969
Location: Netherlands

October 19th, 2014

Maigrets wrote:That sounds like fun. :grin: I've had my share of bosses with Dark Souls 2 so it shouldn't be too bad, although different mechanics and all that.
Well as long as you keep an eye on her during the fight she should not be a problem, what makes it difficult at first is that she has a large group of minions with her. Once she is alone she should not be a real problem, as long as you keep the pressure on.
Maigrets wrote:By the way...have you ever played Divinity 2:The Dragon Knight Saga? It came out in 2010 and is very similar in game play. Larian Studios is a very small studio and made an awesome game. They also made previous Divinity games but they were a bit different and not my thing. This game has combat very much like KOAR, very fluid and fast, good puzzles and a well realized world. It's an rpg and as the name suggests there are dragons. You can't ride a dragon, BUT you can BE a dragon, but that comes around 1/2 way through.

I can't believe I'd forgotten about it and I was just going through some games and found it. I put in well over 100 hours in that game and thinking about it I may just play again since it has great replay value. It's a remake of their original game called Ego Draconis with the added expansion Flames of Vengeance. The voice acting is superb as well.

The forums are here:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads ... =47&page=1

This is part of a review I wrote: It was even answered by one of the dev team.
spoiler:
The things, in my opinion that make this an epic game:

1. The intelligent varied dialogue and often laugh out loud humour without being silly.
2. Logical puzzles that really make you think and stretch your imagination. Sometimes can be maddening when you can't find something, but that's the way I like it. It's a real achievement when you finally find that person or object you've scoured the landscape for, and it feels good to have solved it without in game hand holding.
3. Excellent voice acting. I'm positive I haven't played any game with better voices.
4. Beautiful music that I don't immediately want to turn off.
5. Fast and furious, yet fluid combat - dual wielding rocks!
6. Intuitive magic and leveling system.
7. Beautiful fantasy landscapes. Graphics are outstanding.
8. The writing in the books is very good and sometimes gives hints. I especially liked the one on how to avoid Trolls and the Hitchhiker's Guide was a nice surprise.
9. Great idea with the creature and being able to upgrade it. He/it saved me many times.
10. Very good story and meaningful quests. I was impressed with the ending of DKS and how it wasn't the same old fairy tale ending.
11. Love the variation of armour and weapons.
12. Consequences for your actions and different ways to solve quests. Even though the game is directing you to the same conclusion it doesn't feel linear because of this.
13. Extremely stable - never ever crashes or glitches. For me anyway. I see some have had problems and I can only go by my own experience.
14. Developers who care about their fan base. This I have never seen before and to such a degree. Kudos to the Larian team.

It's obvious Larian Studios put a LOT of love and dedication into this game and it shows. They are a small development team, but they do it right and are to be commended for their support and care for their customers.
Here's a small trailer: It shows the player as a dragon actually, flying around a fortress to destroy it. I haven't looked but I'm sure it would be on Steam.
I have heard of the game but i never played it, I will certainly take a look at it, thanks Maigrets. :)
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

October 19th, 2014

I found out by accident that you can swim and dive underwater to find treasure. It's not actually diving but you get a prompt when you find the little whirlpools.

The enemies are getting harder now, but I'm prevailing...lol I'm starting to find better armour and weapons and besides the Feyblades I use a bow a lot which also works out very well.

My only real complaint and it's minor I guess, is that the camera has a habit of zooming me way, way out in a fight. It made it harder for The Widow fight since there were so many spiders, myself and her as well as spell effects etc, that I couldn't see who was who half the time. She gave me the choice of fighting her or killing all the villagers, which I politely declined to do. I hate spiders and half human ones especially...lol.
I finally got around to taking out The Widow. I just kept at her and ignored the minions as much as possible, then killed them afterwards. Fire spell helped a lot there.
Image

New look courtesy of the mirror in my house.
Image

Victory
Image

Didenhil Village. I still can't get over how beautiful some of these places are.
Image
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Posts: 1451
Joined: December 24th, 2010
Gender: Male
Born in: 1969
Location: Netherlands

October 20th, 2014

The new look is great, that mirror came in handy. :grin:

The impaling Fateshift kill ... nice. :twisted: As for the Widow fight ... yeah that is why I first went after all the spiders. Because there are so many it is not easy to move around without getting hit several times by spiders, but good to see the Widow paid the price for her arrogance. :grin:

As for the beauty of the game, I agree. And it is not just the outside world, sometimes when I went from the outside into a Ruin/dungeon I was equally surprised at how good that Ruin/Dungeon looked.
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

October 20th, 2014

The impaling Fateshift kill ... nice. :twisted: As for the Widow fight ... yeah that is why I first went after all the spiders. Because there are so many it is not easy to move around without getting hit several times by spiders, but good to see the Widow paid the price for her arrogance. :grin:
Yeah, I saved my Fate points just for her.. :twisted: There were eventually too many spiders and they take too long to kill, and more seem to spawn after a time, so that's why I just concentrated on The Widow. It wasn't that hard since she teleports around and I moved to her. I did use every single health and mana potion I had, plus a few others....lol
As for the beauty of the game, I agree. And it is not just the outside world, sometimes when I went from the outside into a Ruin/dungeon I was equally surprised at how good that Ruin/Dungeon looked.
I didn't realize there was a day/night cycle as it's not very obvious, but a few times as you said, coming out of a dungeon can look spectacularly different to when you went in due to being either day or night.

You said you haven't finished the game :o

Something to check out when you've finished the Main Quest... :grin:
:twisted: Chicken Overlords :twisted:

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Posts: 1451
Joined: December 24th, 2010
Gender: Male
Born in: 1969
Location: Netherlands

October 20th, 2014

Maigrets wrote:I didn't realize there was a day/night cycle as it's not very obvious, but a few times as you said, coming out of a dungeon can look spectacularly different to when you went in due to being either day or night.
The night and day cycle can be difficult to notice at times, due to the colourful world itself. :)
Maigrets wrote:You said you haven't finished the game :o
No i have not so far. I could go to Klurikon with Eiltahl since she is high enough in level, but for two reasons it has not happened yet. The first one is that I wanted to see and do more quests before going there ... and the second reason is that around that time I deleted the wrong character as mentioned before. At that time I was not in the mood for a long ... long time to play KoAR. But who knows, maybe I will make up my mind on doing more quests on the main Island and go to Klurikon soon.
Maigrets wrote:Something to check out when you've finished the Main Quest... :grin:
:twisted: Chicken Overlords :twisted:

LoL yeah i saw that one back then, those are some Killer chickens alright. :grin:

EDIT: Almost forgot to ask ... how do you like the lorestones. :)
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

October 21st, 2014

EDIT: Almost forgot to ask ... how do you like the lorestones. :)
I like them enough that I run to them when I see them, and keep a look out for hidden ones. lol The spider ones were quite interesting, but creepy. I missed some dialogue on a couple of other stones as there were enemies nearby and they interrupted me. I didn't think they were close enough, but it seems they were. :-? Next time I'll make sure it's really clear.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Posts: 1451
Joined: December 24th, 2010
Gender: Male
Born in: 1969
Location: Netherlands

October 21st, 2014

Maigrets wrote:
EDIT: Almost forgot to ask ... how do you like the lorestones. :)
I like them enough that I run to them when I see them, and keep a look out for hidden ones. lol The spider ones were quite interesting, but creepy. I missed some dialogue on a couple of other stones as there were enemies nearby and they interrupted me. I didn't think they were close enough, but it seems they were. :-? Next time I'll make sure it's really clear.
Yeah I always tried to listen to the complete stories, but like you it got interrupted on occasion. Those Lorestones add a nice way to learn more of the history of the Fae. :)

EDIT: As for your new signature ... I could not agree more. :grin:
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

October 21st, 2014

Yeah I always tried to listen to the complete stories, but like you it got interrupted on occasion. Those Lorestones add a nice way to learn more of the history of the Fae. :)
Finding them out of order makes it a bit harder to get the story though, but I haven't looked to see if the actual texts are kept in the menus after you find them.
EDIT: As for your new signature ... I could not agree more. :grin:
It took me ages to get that right as there's a 255 character limit, so I had to leave out punctuation marks. Since it's a quote from an author I didn't think it was a good idea to change the actual wording. Can you imagine someone finding a sign like that... :grin: In games I do things like that even though I know it's going to backfire, and the temptation to know in real life would be excruciating.

Image
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Posts: 1451
Joined: December 24th, 2010
Gender: Male
Born in: 1969
Location: Netherlands

October 21st, 2014

Maigrets wrote:Finding them out of order makes it a bit harder to get the story though, but I haven't looked to see if the actual texts are kept in the menus after you find them.
Well in that case i have a tip for you ...that is if you did not know that already. If you go to the main menu, then click on Status and then Lorestones you can listen to all audio parts in the right order. Just click on the first enblem on the top and then play audio at the bottom. :)
Maigrets wrote:It took me ages to get that right as there's a 255 character limit, so I had to leave out punctuation marks. Since it's a quote from an author I didn't think it was a good idea to change the actual wording. Can you imagine someone finding a sign like that... :grin: In games I do things like that even though I know it's going to backfire, and the temptation to know in real life would be excruciating.

Image
LoL we humans are a strange and curious race at times. :grin:
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

October 22nd, 2014

Well in that case i have a tip for you ...that is if you did not know that already. If you go to the main menu, then click on Status and then Lorestones you can listen to all audio parts in the right order. Just click on the first enblem on the top and then play audio at the bottom. :)
Thanks. :) This is another game with a lot of nice extra touches that make it more interesting to play.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

October 24th, 2014

Re The HeartCore Mod:

Saw this thread you made and was wondering if you actually found a working link.
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51070/t ... still-ask/

If not, here's one. As stated by the poster it's the YSA Mod.
Forum Thread on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/102500/di ... ?l=english

In case above link doesn't work for some reason here's the link to the DropBox page: There's some other KOAR stuff there as well.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fmftcephsxvn83e/-mRiTE9kgV

The link works as I downloaded it, but I don't think I'll use it yet as I'm still getting used to the vanilla game. I did not realize that Cheat Engine is a requirement until I read the Instructions, but I suppose that's the only way to change values in an unmoddable game.

I just hate the Cheat Engine, and other Apps like it, because it's what hackers use in Dark Souls games to cheat (obviously) and worse, to ruin other people's games. The fact the KOAR is strictly single player is not so bad though, as it has no possibility of hurting anyone else.

The author, youngneil1, did a HUGE mod pack for Two Worlds 2 which was fantastic and made that game epic, IMHO, so I'm confident about using this mod at some point.

EDIT:
There's another working link in this video Info, but this one is an exe file, whereas the other is loose files in a zip. I assume the exe contains the Cheat Engine etc. I DL'ed this one as well for future reference.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Posts: 1451
Joined: December 24th, 2010
Gender: Male
Born in: 1969
Location: Netherlands

October 24th, 2014

spoiler:
Maigrets wrote:Re The HeartCore Mod:

Saw this thread you made and was wondering if you actually found a working link.
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51070/t ... still-ask/

If not, here's one. As stated by the poster it's the YSA Mod.
Forum Thread on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/102500/di ... ?l=english

In case above link doesn't work for some reason here's the link to the DropBox page: There's some other KOAR stuff there as well.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fmftcephsxvn83e/-mRiTE9kgV

The link works as I downloaded it, but I don't think I'll use it yet as I'm still getting used to the vanilla game. I did not realize that Cheat Engine is a requirement until I read the Instructions, but I suppose that's the only way to change values in an unmoddable game.

I just hate the Cheat Engine, and other Apps like it, because it's what hackers use in Dark Souls games to cheat (obviously) and worse, to ruin other people's games. The fact the KOAR is strictly single player is not so bad though, as it has no possibility of hurting anyone else.

The author, youngneil1, did a HUGE mod pack for Two Worlds 2 which was fantastic and made that game epic, IMHO, so I'm confident about using this mod at some point.

EDIT:
There's another working link in this video Info, but this one is an exe file, whereas the other is loose files in a zip. I assume the exe contains the Cheat Engine etc. I DL'ed this one as well for future reference.
No till now I did not find a working link, so thank you very much Maigrets, just downloaded the files. Image

And i agree with cheat engine, I only ever used it for KoAR. I am usually against cheating, but in some games like Skyrim I hat to use the console for a wide variety of things. ( But who am I telling this. :grin: ) The exe version of the Heartcore mod is the standalone version and does not have all the functions as the full version. Also you can not change things in the standalone version.

It is indeed a good idea to wait with perhaps trying Heartcore out untill you know the game better, it will make things a lot more difficult. ( Depends on what you activate of course. ) The last time I played KoAR i was trying out Heartcore and although the game was suddenly more difficult i started to get used to it back then. :)
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

October 24th, 2014


No till now I did not find a working link, so thank you very much Maigrets, just downloaded the files. Image


You're welcome. :) Some links must have recently become available because all I did was ask Google, lol , although some were dead links. I did notice a lot of people asking for it on various threads on the Steam forums so that's probably why.
And i agree with cheat engine, I only ever used it for KoAR. I am usually against cheating, but in some games like Skyrim I hat to use the console for a wide variety of things. ( But who am I telling this. :grin: ) The exe version of the Heartcore mod is the standalone version and does not have all the functions as the full version. Also you can not change things in the standalone version.
Yeah, well Skyrim and TES in general "NEED" the console otherwise we'd be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I never bothered with changing stats or values, but I did use the console a lot for bugged quests, and since I've played TES games for so long I also often use the console as a bank early in the game....for when I need to buy stuff added by mods etc. :cheese:

I don't care about cheating in a single player game either because it's not affecting anyone else.
It is indeed a good idea to wait with perhaps trying Heartcore out untill you know the game better, it will make things a lot more difficult. ( Depends on what you activate of course. ) The last time I played KoAR i was trying out Heartcore and although the game was suddenly more difficult i started to get used to it back then. :)
I imagine it's like using OOO for Oblivion or Requiem etc for Skyrim. Things seem almost impossible to kill at first, but like you say, you get used to it and KOAR has such a good dodging system, as well as blocking, combat and magic in general that it would become second nature to a degree.

I also found a SweetFX preset which makes the colours a bit richer and slightly darker and I think it also tones down the overly bright lighting...either that or I've gotten used to it. It has no impact on performance either. I'll add some screenshots tomorrow...been up all night playing the game. I can't believe how big it is. You think you've covered large areas and then quests open completely new areas that only look small on the map.

Currently, I'm about to kill the Lady of Windemere. I've done everything up until ringing the bell to open the castle and I bet she's no pushover when I get inside. The House of Ballads questline is fantastic I must say.

As far as the MQ I'll soon be going into the desert area (Plains of Erathell, I think.) I ventured in a little way and saw some ferocious looking enemies so I took a couple of screenshots and backed out. That was around level 13 or something. I've seen the map with enemy levels on it and it's a bit early to go there I think.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Posts: 1451
Joined: December 24th, 2010
Gender: Male
Born in: 1969
Location: Netherlands

October 24th, 2014

Maigrets wrote:You're welcome. :) Some links must have recently become available because all I did was ask Google, lol , although some were dead links. I did notice a lot of people asking for it on various threads on the Steam forums so that's probably why.
Most likely. :)
Maigrets wrote:Yeah, well Skyrim and TES in general "NEED" the console otherwise we'd be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I never bothered with changing stats or values, but I did use the console a lot for bugged quests, and since I've played TES games for so long I also often use the console as a bank early in the game....for when I need to buy stuff added by mods etc. :cheese:
Yeah I never bothered to change stats or values in Skyrim, i used mods that did that legitimately. ( Well ... according to the options I hat set. :grin: ) And septims are indeed useful if a mod adds items to a merchant and you want those items right away instead of half way through the game.
Maigrets wrote:I imagine it's like using OOO for Oblivion or Requiem etc for Skyrim. Things seem almost impossible to kill at first, but like you say, you get used to it and KOAR has such a good dodging system, as well as blocking, combat and magic in general that it would become second nature to a degree.
I could not have said it better. :)
Maigrets wrote:I also found a SweetFX preset which makes the colours a bit richer and slightly darker and I think it also tones down the overly bright lighting...either that or I've gotten used to it. It has no impact on performance either. I'll add some screenshots tomorrow...been up all night playing the game. I can't believe how big it is. You think you've covered large areas and then quests open completely new areas that only look small on the map.
LoL yeah like I mentioned before ... one of the developers once mentioned that if you try to find and finish all quests in the game it can take you up to 200+ hours. :) And please let me know which SweetFX that is, maybe I can use that one as well.
Maigrets wrote:Currently, I'm about to kill the Lady of Windemere. I've done everything up until ringing the bell to open the castle and I bet she's no pushover when I get inside. The House of Ballads questline is fantastic I must say.
Agreed the House of Ballads quest line is great indeed, no doubt about it. And the Lady of Windemerre can indeed be quit challenging if your not careful. At the moment I do not remember any more how I actually defeated her but i do remember that I hat to reload 2 or 3 times.
Maigrets wrote:As far as the MQ I'll soon be going into the desert area (Plains of Erathell, I think.) I ventured in a little way and saw some ferocious looking enemies so I took a couple of screenshots and backed out. That was around level 13 or something. I've seen the map with enemy levels on it and it's a bit early to go there I think.
In this game I personally believe that it is best to be at the very least 2 levels above the minimum level of an area you want to go to next. If you see an enemy with a orange name you could try to take it on very carefully. But if you see an enemy with a red name ... RUN!? ( You will not win at that time from that enemy. )

Also ... in order to force myself to continue on with the MQ once i start playing KoAR again with Eiltahl I travelled to the Fortress Mel Shenshir with her. I have not been outside the Fortress yet, but this is a screenshot of the approach on the Fortress.
Image
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

October 25th, 2014

Fessels wrote: LoL yeah like I mentioned before ... one of the developers once mentioned that if you try to find and finish all quests in the game it can take you up to 200+ hours. :) And please let me know which SweetFX that is, maybe I can use that one as well.
Download the Preset here. It's just a text file.
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/238/
Then, if you don't already have it get SweetFX here...version 1.5.1 at the top.
http://sfx.thelazy.net/downloads/

Details for everyone who may be interested:
Just unzip all the files to the main KOAR directory and rename the 1st txt file downloaded to SweetFX_Preset and overwrite the original. Besides that this simple mod improves graphics for most of the game I play (using presets made by other people) it makes it easier to take screenshots without having to use an external program if the game doesn't have an inbuilt function. You can make changes to the Preset yourself if you want, but it's a lot of fiddling around and testing which is why I use pre-made ones.

"Print Screen" key for screenshots which are saved in the game directory in BMP format. Only thing is for some reason it saves multiple copies of the same picture and I don't know why, but it's better than none...lol. You could alternatively use whatever other method you prefer of course.
Agreed the House of Ballads quest line is great indeed, no doubt about it. And the Lady of Windemerre can indeed be quit challenging if your not careful. At the moment I do not remember any more how I actually defeated her but i do remember that I hat to reload 2 or 3 times.
I assume you play on Hard? For the time being I'm only on Normal, which actually is pretty easy in most cases, except for Trolls...lol. I started on that to have a rest from the stress and concentration needed for Dark Souls2, but I may increase it now since I barely ever get hurt and have only died twice so far.
Also ... in order to force myself to continue on with the MQ once i start playing KoAR again with Eiltahl I travelled to the Fortress Mel Shenshir with her. I have not been outside the Fortress yet, but this is a screenshot of the approach on the Fortress.
The Fortress looks imposing. I bet you can't go on those ships. :-( Why did you have to force yourself to continue the MQ? Did you get bored with it, or was it because of the lost character? :sad:

Get out of my way! I have to break that crystal behind you!
Image

Oh! Hello. You have two heads...and a giant axe!.... :shock:
Image

My next destination. Hollowlands of Detyre. I was only there briefly at a lower level, but it looks interesting.
Image

Reporting In.
Image

House of Ballads
Image
Archer.
Image

Cave Flora.
Image

Beautiful Fae architecture.
Image

Dusk
Image

Windemere Castle
Image

Puzzled Troll. I think he wants to smash me, but he can't....lol All the enemies are currently under an enchantment to keep them docile. However, I have now broken the spell and now they want my blood. I'm on the way to "deal" with their mistress.
Image

Dancing in the amazing City of Lys.
Image
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Posts: 1451
Joined: December 24th, 2010
Gender: Male
Born in: 1969
Location: Netherlands

October 25th, 2014

Maigrets wrote:LoL yeah like I mentioned before ... one of the developers once mentioned that if you try to find and finish all quests in the game it can take you up to 200+ hours. :) And please let me know which SweetFX that is, maybe I can use that one as well.
Download the Preset here. It's just a text file.
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/238/
Then, if you don't already have it get SweetFX here...version 1.5.1 at the top.
http://sfx.thelazy.net/downloads/

Details for everyone who may be interested:
Just unzip all the files to the main KOAR directory and rename the 1st txt file downloaded to SweetFX_Preset and overwrite the original. Besides that this simple mod improves graphics for most of the game I play (using presets made by other people) it makes it easier to take screenshots without having to use an external program if the game doesn't have an inbuilt function. You can make changes to the Preset yourself if you want, but it's a lot of fiddling around and testing which is why I use pre-made ones. [/quote]

Thank you for the links Maigrets, I will certainly try that one out soon. :)
Maigrets wrote:"Print Screen" key for screenshots which are saved in the game directory in BMP format. Only thing is for some reason it saves multiple copies of the same picture and I don't know why, but it's better than none...lol. You could alternatively use whatever other method you prefer of course.
Every screenshot you take is doubled? That is odd ... I checked my screenshot folder and no double screenshots?
Maigrets wrote:I assume you play on Hard? For the time being I'm only on Normal, which actually is pretty easy in most cases, except for Trolls...lol. I started on that to have a rest from the stress and concentration needed for Dark Souls2, but I may increase it now since I barely ever get hurt and have only died twice so far.
I do indeed play on hard. And barely getting hurt was also my reason for increasing the difficulty. :)
Maigrets wrote:The Fortress looks imposing. I bet you can't go on those ships. :-( Why did you have to force yourself to continue the MQ? Did you get bored with it, or was it because of the lost character? :sad:

Well the Fortress is no longer as imposing as it was 10 years ago i guess, before the war started. And I do not think you can get on those ships no. You arrive their with a fleet of ships and reinforcements, but that is about it. And no it has nothing to do with my lost character, it is just that I do not want to over level to much. Klurikon has a enemy level of 16 to 34, and Eiltahl is already level 29. If I where to stay on the main land I would over level her way to much. Once I will continue with her then I do want to have chance for a Challenge. :) ( But at the moment I am way to busy with Dragon Age Origins. )

All the screenshots look absolutely great. The Fae cities are among the most beautiful places in the game in my opinion. And that says a lot ... considering how great the rest of the game already looks.
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
User avatar
Maigrets
Admin
Posts: 1557
Joined: October 2nd, 2008
Gender: Female
Born in: 1954
Location: Australia
Contact:

October 25th, 2014

Every screenshot you take is doubled? That is odd ... I checked my screenshot folder and no double screenshots?

It's something to do with SweetFX and it does it in every game I use it on. I did look it up once but I forget what or if there was a solution. It's no drama except if you take a LOT and can end up with a couple of 100 mb worth in a short time since each one is almost 7mb.

Maybe it's something to do with the Prnt Scrn key function. If I remember I'll change it to something else, but it's an oddity not really a bother.
I do indeed play on hard. And barely getting hurt was also my reason for increasing the difficulty. :)
I managed to kill the Lady of Windemere and died a few times. She was the hardest so far, but it's the added minions that really make it more difficult as well as the way the camera zooms out so far. I now have a summoned creature that adds a distraction to the minions and I can concentrate, for the most part, on the boss. I also have a heal spell, but I forget to use in in the midst of action...lol. There have been a few more bosses since as well.
Well the Fortress is no longer as imposing as it was 10 years ago i guess, before the war started. And I do not think you can get on those ships no. You arrive their with a fleet of ships and reinforcements, but that is about it. And no it has nothing to do with my lost character, it is just that I do not want to over level to much. Klurikon has a enemy level of 16 to 34, and Eiltahl is already level 29. If I where to stay on the main land I would over level her way to much. Once I will continue with her then I do want to have chance for a Challenge. :) ( But at the moment I am way to busy with Dragon Age Origins. )
I'm planning on getting the DLC's maybe next week. Or at least one of them. That's how much I'm enjoying this game. I reached The Hollowlands tonight and started looking around and I can see I'll be spending quite some time there as well. The little details are great. Like the gnomes mining for gold in the river, fishing from the bridge and looking at the map on the ground.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Posts: 1451
Joined: December 24th, 2010
Gender: Male
Born in: 1969
Location: Netherlands

October 25th, 2014

Maigrets wrote:It's something to do with SweetFX and it does it in every game I use it on. I did look it up once but I forget what or if there was a solution. It's no drama except if you take a LOT and can end up with a couple of 100 mb worth in a short time since each one is almost 7mb. Maybe it's something to do with the Prnt Scrn key function. If I remember I'll change it to something else, but it's an oddity not really a bother.
Well the size might not be because of the SweetFX. The few screenshots i made after you started playing the game are all 6.25mb?
Maigrets wrote:I managed to kill the Lady of Windemere and died a few times. She was the hardest so far, but it's the added minions that really make it more difficult as well as the way the camera zooms out so far. I now have a summoned creature that adds a distraction to the minions and I can concentrate, for the most part, on the boss. I also have a heal spell, but I forget to use in in the midst of action...lol. There have been a few more bosses since as well.
She can be quit a challenge indeed in those manners. You have the fear Gorta i assume. When the Official forums for the game still existed, people there mentioned that if you can spare the points ... try the get all updates for the Fear Gorta. But no matter how good it becomes or not, it is there as distraction
Maigrets wrote:I'm planning on getting the DLC's maybe next week. Or at least one of them. That's how much I'm enjoying this game. I reached The Hollowlands tonight and started looking around and I can see I'll be spending quite some time there as well. The little details are great. Like the gnomes mining for gold in the river, fishing from the bridge and looking at the map on the ground.
The Hollowlands are quit interesting when it comes to quests, it was where I was with Eiltahl before I dropped her in Klurikon. Hope you will like the DLC's as much as the main game. What am I saying here ... of course you will. :grin:
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Post Reply