Dark Souls: Prepare To Die...Again and Again

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

I bought Dark Souls: PTD on the day of release and it's the game I've been waiting for....for ages. It's keeping me up at night....just have to defeat this boss, find out what's in the new area I just found, upgrade my gear...etc, etc and next thing I know it's almost daylight.

It's not for everyone and you'll see very mixed views from users due to the difficulty and the fact you have to explore and find out things for yourself. The game has a rich Lore but many would never know that if they didn't read item descriptions, listen to NPC's and follow their quests. It's a hard game, very hard, but extremely rewarding and satisfying. I have the retail version which came with a beautiful artbook, poster, mouse and mouse pad, soundtrack and extras DVD. It can now be added to your Steam library if desired, but the game can be downloaded from Steam as well.

One thing to note is this was a console only game and PC community petitioned FROM Software to port it so it's a direct port with no bells and whistles, but it works straight out of the box. No bugs, no glitches. However, there have been complaints about the graphics and that the game is locked at 30fps (which in my opinion is fine) so there is a fix for the graphics and a number of other things that might annoy some. I haven't yet used the fix because I don't feel the need at the moment, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. Some things don't bother me as much as they do other people.

Another thing is it has keyboard support, but in game the prompts are for the Xbox 360 which is due to the straight porting. many people use the keyboard with little trouble but I already had a 360 controller I bought last year so I use that and it works beautifully.

The game is also moddable, but obviously in the early stages as it's only been out for a short time. Here's a current list with links to the above mentioned fix.
http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSoulsMods/

This is an IGN review. Normally I don't put much stock into professional reviews of games, I usually look for player opinions, and in this case they match for the most part.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/08/31/d ... ion-review

This video explains some of the story and the Lore. ENB also has a number of other videos explaining other parts of the Lore and history.
There's no map, no journal, no hand holding of any kind, one difficulty level, realistic and tactical combat, a HUGE interconnected world, and a lot of deaths. When you die it's usually (99% of the time) your fault, meaning you have to be alert and on your toes at all times unless you know you're in a safe zone. You can't pause the game in combat to take a potion or change gear, you cannot save manually so if you mess up and aggro or kill an NPC or merchant you're stuck with it until you seek absolution, which is expensive and only available after a certain point. The game auto-saves frequently though, so all progress is not lost, but consequences are permanent. If you exit the game and restart you will be in the exact spot you left and not back at a checkpoint or losing progress.

Speaking of checkpoints...throughout the world you find bonfires that are checkpoints. Here you can also level up, repair and modify your gear, attune magic, manage inventory and a few other things as long as you have the requirements...ie purchased repair kits etc. Later in the game you can warp between selected bonfires, but early game you can use a consumable object to warp back to your last visited bonfire if you need to. In this game souls are the currency for everything, including leveling up, so you don't want to be caught out carrying a large amount in a dangerous area if you may not be able to get back to it to retrieve them without dying again.

The combat is fantastic but you cannot just rush in and mash buttons hoping to win. You have to plan every battle and watch the enemies carefully, which by the way have very good AI, and in many cases will chase you down if you run. Each weapon has it's own animations, you can feel the weight in your swing if you're a heavy weapon player or the speed for Dexterity based fast characters, which is my build. Weapons all have stat requirements and can't be used otherwise, they degrade and need to be repaired and can be modified to elemental, divine, chaos and other levels. Armour is in four pieces (head, hands, body and feet) which can be mixed and matched and comes in heavy, medium and light and the variation is enormous. Encumbrance also factors in to how you play, whether you want to be a heavy tanking type or fast and agile.

The multi-player component of the game is awesome and works on a P2P basis. You can summon people to your world to help with bosses or just to play co-op, you can invade other players worlds in PvP and more. I summoned someone to help me kill a boss last night and it was fantastic. Unfortunately, there are cheats who have started to move in and spoil things for people, like any MP game, but there are ways to spoil it for them and not give them the satisfaction of killing you. One thing, among others I forgot to mention is that you are undead in this game and look it...lol. However you can reverse your "hollowing" at bonfires if you have "humanity" and is required for online co-op. Humanity is a pickup from enemies and can also be purchased, albeit it at a high cost.

This post is probably a bit confusing as there's so much to this game I can't write it all here and I can only go by what I've discovered myself. I have watched a lot of Let's Plays and read the Wikis, but that is no substitute for experiencing it yourself and getting those desirable armours, weapons and rings etc aren't so easy when you do it yourself The only thing I wasn't thrilled about is it uses GFWL but other than a slight hiccup with registering I haven't has any issues.

That's enough for now...lol. I haven't taken any screenshots as I keep forgetting and in the middle of battle that's something you don't want to be doing. :hang:
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

It certainly looks great, but if i where to buy it some day (And it seems to be advised, a Xbox360 control pad. ) then i do not know if i will keep my sanity from getting killed so often. :twisted:
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

thanks for this well written and intriguing revue. I am thinking on buying the game...

thanks again
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Maigrets
Admin

Yes, I've never played a game quite like this. There's so much to learn and think about, so much more than I wrote about.
It certainly looks great, but if i where to buy it some day (And it seems to be advised, a Xbox360 control pad. ) then i do not know if i will keep my sanity from getting killed so often. :twisted:
Believe me I've had some hair pulling moments, especially when I was about to get the last hit in on a hard boss and Windows decided to shut down and restart because it had downloaded updates in the background. I'd forgotten to change the Update settings. That boss took me several more tries after that.

It can be frustrating, but so very rewarding.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Maigrets
Admin

There is now a Dark Souls Nexus for anyone interested in the game and mods for it, which makes it easier to find the most up to date versions.
http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/

Also a modders page at Reddit where DarkOne contacted modders to see if they would be interested in a Nexus site and having their work hosted there as well.
http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSoulsMods/

The game is really being supported by modders which is really nice.
Maigrets
Admin

DARK SOULS 2
Coming soon....March 3rd for PC according to EBGames here, in store at least, but the website says date unknown. (date is now late April) The developers are using a completely new engine so the only problem I foresee, (for myself that is), is if my PC can run it. However, it's being released for the current PS3 and XBox 360 not the next gen consoles at least initially as far as I know, so there's hope.

I can't wait. In the meantime I've been watching a new DS1 playthrough to get in the mood and it makes me want to reinstall the game, which I think I'm going to do. I had to give up previously because I just could not pass a certain area no matter how many times I tried....Anor Londo Archers anyone? This time though I know better what to expect and it is a game where you need patience, lots of it, so maybe I'll succeed this time.

Just quoting Fessels again from earlier in the thread regarding dying...
And I thought you were a Diablo player...lol. I have no interest in those games but I was under the impression they were challenging.

Dying in Dark Souls teaches you lessons...learn strategy and don't take even trash mobs for granted. Besides, once you get the mechanics down, dying isn't such an issue and sometimes it's worth it to get a special item. There are plenty of checkpoints and you don't lose items if you die unlike in some games.

Anyway, this is one of the trailers for Dark Souls 2.

Info below copied from the EBGames of the game version I have pre-ordered. More trailers on that page as well.
https://www.ebgames.com.au/pc-160914-Da ... Edition-PC

**Developed by From Software, Dark Souls II is the highly anticipated sequel to the punishing 2011 breakout hit Dark Souls (9.5/10 GameSpot, 9.0/10 IGN). The unique old-school action RPG experience captivated imaginations of gamers worldwide with incredible challenge and intense emotional reward. Dark Souls II brings the franchise’s renowned difficulty & gripping gameplay innovations to both single and multiplayer experiences.

Key Game Features

Prepare to Die…Again: Dare yourself to engage against intense gameplay in a vast world powered by an all new engine that leaps graphics, sound & FX forward like never before.

A Labyrinth of Monsters & Bosses: Immerse yourself into mind-blowing environments filled with new twisted monsters and deadly bosses that could only come from the imagination of From Software.

Sensory Assault: A wide range of threats will prey on human senses & phobias – auditory hallucinations, vertigo, acrophobia, etc
Deeper and Darker: More intricate customization options provide weapons and armor tailoring to player style.

Evolved Multiplayer: Updated multiplayer system enables improved online interaction to bring forward cooperative & competitive play.

Go Beyond Death: Dark Souls II features fluid motion-capture animations, upgraded combat system, a vastly expanded suite of characters, deeper customization options, new weapons, armor abilities, and balanced player progression system.**
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:And I thought you were a Diablo player...lol. I have no interest in those games but I was under the impression they were challenging.
I am and D3 is indeed very challenging playing solo on the Highest possible level. And it will become more so after its first DLC "Reaper of Souls" comes out. :happy:
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

This is what a real dragon fight looks like and this is a dragon (it has four functional legs) not a Wyvern which is what the Skyrim dragons essentially are.

EpicNameBro is a Dark Souls veteran so he makes it look easy and does it without the HUD on. The dragon is called Kalameet and is part of the DLC where the bosses are harder than the main game. He spews black magic fire and has a telekinetic attack, which if it connects causes you to take double damage while it's active.

Before the fight Kalameet was injured and one of his wings was damaged (shown in a cut scene and part of the story) so he can't fly as well, but he can still glide. His attacks are devastating and speed is the best defense for this and most boss fights.

EpicNameBro also has a series of videos on the Lore which are very good.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Now that was a great looking Dragon, great graphics and it was touch and go for EpicNameBro....only a bit more then 30 Hit points left. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:Now that was a great looking Dragon, great graphics and it was touch and go for EpicNameBro....only a bit more then 30 Hit points left. :)
All the dragons, and other dragonkin like Drakes, Gargoyles and dragon family bosses, as well as most demons can have their tales cut off which can be used to create legendary weapons at blacksmiths.

Anyway, this is another magnificent fight with the Sanctuary Guardian from the DLC but with a different, but also amazing player. There are two Guardians in this instance. I think it's to do with player actions in the storyline or something, not really sure, but if one never returned there you wouldn't even know about both of them.

This player is on NewGame+ as well which is a lot harder.

I wish I was half as good as this but my reaction times are pretty crap with my arthritic wrists, so I'll stick with one of these. I haven't started the DLC yet so it's something to look forward to... :hang: :shock:

The Guardian has a whiplike tail that poisons you, his wing rush move depletes all your stamina and he is very aggressive making it hard to heal. Plus, he generally isn't very friendly on his own, let alone two of them at once. :)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Darn this person hat to run and dodge most of the time, and it looked like those creatures where working together to out flank the player?
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:Darn this person hat to run and dodge most of the time, and it looked like those creatures where working together to out flank the player?
That's the thing.....it's hard to tank a lot of the bosses because some of their moves deplete your stamina completely leaving you open to being stunned, unless you have a high stability shield as well as a weapon with very high damage output. Having a high Endurance is the best way to tank to keep stamina up, and there are also herbs and other means of buffing stats for all builds. Being able to run and fast dodge is often the only way to win.

The player in that video, and the previous one with the dragon actually, both have high Dexterity builds which allows for quick dodging and fast weapons with high dps. My character is similar.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Well makes sense...higher Dexterity means faster movement and as such faster attack speed, thus doing more damage in less time. My Barbarian in Diablo 3 is fast as well, i was using a powerfull 2 handed axe for a long time. But with the new patches i found this Legendary one handed sword....

So after that i crafted a very good shield...changed some of the skills i use with him, and now he is a terror on the battlefields. :twisted:

( Although if i where to play against human opponents then he would be slaughtered...hey he is only Level 60 and a Paragon level of 16. :grin: )
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

Going to enjoy the crap out of Dark Souls 2 when it finally comes out on PC. :)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Gork712 wrote:Going to enjoy the crap out of Dark Souls 2 when it finally comes out on PC. :)
LoL Have fun once it does. :grin:
Maigrets
Admin

Gork712 wrote:Going to enjoy the crap out of Dark Souls 2 when it finally comes out on PC. :)
You and me both :-) I can't wait. :happy: Only a few more weeks.

I'm having to stop myself from watching Let's Plays although I'm not too bothered about spoilers, so I have given in to temptation and watched bits and pieces. By the time the game is out I'll have forgotten most of it anyway.

I did find this video which would be invaluable to newbies especially when it comes to game mechanics and combat. No spoilers.
Dark Souls 2: The Comprehensive Beginner's Guide
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Bookmarked...just in case. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Here's a brilliant and well written article that fans, and potential fans of Dark Souls might like to read.

http://savetherobot.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -fortress/

It's themed around a particular place in the game and it's excellent level design among other things, but in doing so describes the game as a whole and how everything is interconnected. A great read.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Thank you for the link, i will read it tomorrow...now i am going to make a intensive study of my pillow. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:Thank you for the link, i will read it tomorrow...now i am going to make a intensive study of my pillow. :)
ROFL.... I know the feeling. Image