Molly Daro - A Fallout New Vegas Story

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

WALL OF TEXT .....

The following posts after this one will be the story of Molly, my current Fallout New Vegas character. I wish I'd done it for Gideon who made it to 112 hours before I had a game breaking problem which ironically, wasn't the game itself but a MS Visual C Runtime error that could only be fixed by reinstalling the game. By that time I decided I wanted to change around some mods and they probably wouldn't have been compatible with my saves.

Anyway...some info about what this will entail.

First of all I'm doing this for my own enjoyment and maybe some people might like to read it as well so I'm going to post it. I'll be using screenshots along the way to add some flavour. I always intend to give my characters a back story whether it be in FO:NV or Skyrim but never seem to get around to it and since NV is the game I'm mainly playing atm this is it.

It begins as a pretty basic description of events directly affecting Molly before leaving Goodsprings the starting town, and then veers off shortly before I leave there when I pick up some companions and other mods come into play. This game is huge so I may not even do the whole MQ this time, but one of the DLC's instead. I've already done Honest Hearts with a previous character, Gideon, and don't really feel like doing it again, so It'll be one of the others if I do.

I'd already completed all I wanted to do around Goodsprings and on towards Primm, my next destination, before I decided to do this so there won't be too much description of the trip and there's not much happening on the road there except meeting a follower and killing some Geckos and bandits.

There will be a lot of dialogue but not a lot of description of quests or places so if you haven't played the game it probably won't matter. I usually get distracted easily so there most likely won't be any kind of linear progression and as long as my game doesn't implode like last time I'll try to make it interesting with action scenes and story.

The followers, modded and vanilla, have their own quests, except for the animals and robots of course, and I will be doing those as well as other mod quests along the way.

People who play this game modded will likely recognize some of my followers. I meet them at various points along the way and one won't join me until I get to Vegas although that depends on whether I make a quick run for Vegas or not. That's through Deathclaw or Cazador territory...but probably when I level a bit more. I can handle Deathclaws with the right weapons and strategy, but I hate, hate, hate Cazadors. We'll get to those poisonous pests and monsters later though.

I'll be taking liberties with NPC and follower dialogue although if I can remember it out of game I'll elaborate on their own as well. I hope the authors don't mind.

Molly seems to favour energy weapons although she has never killed anyone before...at least not that she can remember, so that comes as a bit of a shock to her when it happens. However, she does start out a little naive, but also adapts quickly to her new situation. The Doc wonders if she came from a sheltered upbringing which also makes him question how she came to be a courier in the first place.

She is a science geek and prefers to talk her way out of difficult situations, but she's a survivor and is prepared to do what it takes if it means doing things the hard way. Being shot and left for dead can change one's perspective even if they can't remember what that used to be.

Obviously, due to events beyond her control, Molly doesn't know if she has family or friends waiting for her from her previous life, or much of anything else.

She discovers she is also good with robots and other gadgets, and can repair them, and later create her own robotic monstrosities courtesy of the mod Robco Certified.

This is the list of the mods I'm using which can also be found in the other New Vegas thread which I will now use mainly to talk about new and older mods I discover that others may like. I'm also using a LOT of texture packs (optimized) that overhaul just about everything in the game. TYPE3 female body replacer, Robert's male, Poco Bueno landscape and other textures, weapon and armour textures, etc etc, and a lot of utilities and tweaks that give me a smooth and crash free game. Currently don't have iHud etc as somehow I messed it up this time and haven't gotten around to replacing it.

Mods used in this playthrough
spoiler:
[X] FalloutNV.esm
[X] DeadMoney.esm
[X] HonestHearts.esm
[X] OldWorldBlues.esm
[X] LonesomeRoad.esm
[X] GunRunnersArsenal.esm
[X] ClassicPack.esm
[X] MercenaryPack.esm
[X] TribalPack.esm
[X] CaravanPack.esm
[X] Companion Core.esm
[X] Caliber.esm
[X] CaliberXhonesthearts.esm
[X] CaliberXgunrunners.esm
[X] Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
[X] AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm
[X] More Perks.esm
[X] NVEC Complete + NVCE.esm
[X] NSkies URWLified.esm
[X] NVInteriors_Core.esm
[X] NVInteriors_WastelandEditon.esm
[X] NVInteriors_WastelandEditonAWOP.esm
[X] Project Nevada - Core.esm
[X] Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
[X] RobCo Certified.esm
[X] Tales from the Burning Sands.esm
[X] ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esm
[X] Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
[X] Niner.esm
[X] Monster Wars.esm
[X] Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
[X] Interior Lighting Overhaul - L38PS.esm
[X] ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esm
[X] Mission Mojave - Ultimate Edition.esp
[X] MMUE POP.esp
[X] DarNifiedUINV.esp
[X] CASM.esp
[X] Centered 3rd Person Camera.esp
[X] The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
[X] JIP Companions Command & Control.esp
[X] Armor Replacer Child NPC Fix.esp
[X] NCR Doggy Buddies - Alsatian.esp
[X] housemod.esp - this is actually Wave Radio, a new radio station. No idea why it was named housemod.
[X] Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp
[X] Project Nevada - Honest Hearts.esp
[X] Project Nevada - Lonesome Road.esp
[X] Project Nevada - Gun Runners' Arsenal.esp
[X] Project Nevada - Old World Blues.esp
[X] Murdelizer.esp
[X] Steamer.esp
[X] 1Earrings.esp
[X] Roberts_NewVegas.esp
[X] Type3 Leather Armors.esp
[X] 1nivVSLArmors.esp
[X] jotoughgirl.esp
[X] AWOPCaliberXAmmoPatch.esp
[X] Neckchains.esp
[X] desmond companion.esp
[X] delilah.esp
[X] BrigComp.esp
[X] MoreNiner.esp
[X] Tailor Maid Black Retex - NV.esp
[X] AWOPDeadMoney.esp
[X] AWOPDeadMoneyVendorPatch.esp
[X] RobCo Certified Friendly Hit Fixer.esp
[X] pipboy2500_edisleado.esp
[X] noautoaim.esp
[X] Vurt's WFO.esp
[X] NSkies URWLifiedOWB.esp
[X] NSkies URWLifiedHH.esp
[ ] NSkies URWLifiedDM.esp
[X] Interior Lighting Overhaul - Ultimate Edition.esp
[X] ILO - GS Shack.esp
[X] MojaveDelight.esp
[X] MTB.esp
[X] ILO - NSkies URWLified Patch.esp
[X] Cerulean Home.esp
[X] NVEC Complete NVCE AWOP Patch.esp
[X] NVEC Complete NVCE MMUE Patch.esp
[X] DYNAVISION 3.esp
[X] The Groovatron NV.esp
[X] Bashed Patch, 0.esp
If you're reading this you will have to forgive and ignore any grammar or other mistakes. I do read over and edit the text several times as I'm going along but it is what it is. This game has a lot of heavy duty swearing, but I don't see the necessity and it doesn't suit Molly's character. It might be a boring read, but it's Molly's story.
She's not in the NCR and won't be, just on good terms, but the uniform was added via a companion quest.....thanks Niner... :)
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Maigrets
Admin

Journal entry. "A Grave Mistake."

(I tried formatting this for easier reading, but it doesn't seem to work or I'm thick and can't see how. I can't even seem to indent paragraphs. It's there in preview but not in post)
;-((

It'll be getting dark soon and it's still unbearably hot in here. This room is like a closet, stuffy and dusty and half full of junk, but it's better than some places I've been lately. I'm so, so tired but when I close my eyes my head spins and I think about crying and giving up. But those days are over, I don't cry anymore and I'm not giving up.
I'll keep typing as long as the light holds, but this old terminal keeps flickering and some of the keys don't work so it's a bit of a challenge. It's incredibly frustrating, but I'll make some holotapes as a backup and hide them somewhere safe. It's been like therapy over these past months and it's not over yet. This is no paradise I'm living in.

I hear gunfire in the distance, men shouting and the screams of wild creatures as they go about the daily business of living and dying. No chance of a quiet night it seems. I've come close to death myself many times this past half year, but not like the time back in Goodsprings. I died that day and my new, if troubled life began. I say died because I'm still alive of course, but my life was taken from me in almost every other way. One little bullet and it was almost over.

We'll be moving on soon. Can't stay in one place too long now or they'll find us. They won't kill me though, but some things are worse than dying. My companions are with me still, stalwart and loyal to the end, and my "creations" keep watch outside. It may not be enough though if we're found.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself so let me start at the beginning and try to make sense of all this. If I die out here at least there will be a record and it won't have all been for nothing. I don't believe in fate or co-incidence, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

It all started about six months ago - hard to keep track of time these days - in a small town called Goodsprings way out in the Mojave wasteland, a quiet little place straddled on the edge of tragedy and redemption. The folk there have their own day to day problems scraping by in this cruel land, but they manage well enough. My arrival caused quite a stir.
You see, I woke up one day in a stranger's house, wearing nothing but a ratty old hospital gown and the foul taste of dirt and old blood in my mouth. I could hear a radio playing softly in the background and the biting tang of rubbing alcohol stung my nostrils. My head was throbbing in time with my hearbeat and my stomach was churning with burning acid.

"Woah there little lady. Take it easy. You've been through quite a bit." A kindly voice said. "Let me help you up."

I pulled myself upright and opened my eyes to dull, yellowish light that and threw up on the threadbare carpet at my feet. It was nothing but bile and streaks of blood and it felt good to get it out. The headache eased a little and I tried to sit up.

"That's it, you'll feel better for it." A kind face to match the voice. "My name is Doc Mitchell, but most people just call me Doc."

"You're a Doctor?...what..what's happened to me? Where am I? How long have I been here."

"Alright, just listen now. I'm not going to sugar coat it for you." Doc replied. "Victor dug you out of a grave up at the old Cemetery and I dug this here bullet out of your skull. You're lucky to still be drawing breath. Tell me, do you remember your name?"
"Molly. I'm Molly Daro." I whispered. Shot....that can't be right. No. No, not right.

"What else do you remember Molly? Where are you from? You have family somewhere?"

"Ah...I don't know. It's all blank. I can't remember anything except my name." I said. Where are my clothes? There must be something ..."

Doc shook his head. "All I found is this Courier's Delivery Notice in your shirt pocket, but all it says is something about a chip and Courier Six. Nothing of use."

"Is that all! There must be more." I cried. "I have to get out of here." I struggled to my feet pushing away the waves of vertigo and scanned the room for a way out.

"Hold on now. I won't keep you girl, but you've been gravely hurt. Take it slow now." Doc said. "If you insist on leaving take these things with you. The Vault Suit belonged to my wife and I wager you're gonna need the rest in days to come."

"Thanks Doc. I don't think I'll need the gun, but...thanks." I managed a weak smile as he walked me to the door.

"You might drop in on my nurse, Delilah, and say hello. She was worried about you. You'll find her house just down the hill next to the saloon." Doc closed the door behind me and I started down the path. And then I forgot to ask him who Victor was.

Doc Mitchell had also given me the bullet as a souvenir along with an electronic gadget called a Pip-boy, a piece of pre-war tech that came out of Vault 21 where he was born. I had a feeling I'd seen one before but that was something else I couldn't remember. The Pip-Boy is programmed with maps and other data that I would need and I could input basic information as well.

The Doc says I seem to be pretty tech savvy for someone who has the kind of enemies that would shoot them in the head and leave them for dead. He said it must be some cold freak to do something like that and I'd better learn how to use that old gun if I planned on finding out who shot me. Sunny Smiles up at the Saloon could help me out with that if I wanted.

When I think back I could have curled up right there on his couch and shut it all out, and I thought about it, I really did, but a searing heat had grown in my chest and no matter what I was going to find the murdering scum who shot me and put a bullet between his eyes. Looks like I have a vengeful streak, but who can blame me.

Over the next few days I found the townsfolk to be friendly enough, a little guarded perhaps in case I might be bringing trouble to their little town, but they seemed to like me well enough. I took Sunny up on the offer to learn a little about defending myself along with a few ways to live off the land when things got tough.

Victor turned out to be a robot, a Robco Securitron he said, but conveniently his memory wasn't so good either. I find that quite ironic. I wouldn't have thought a robot could be deceptive, but he or it, seemed to evade my questions and I had the feeling he knew more than he was telling.

I asked around and found out from Trudy, the owner of the saloon, that on the day I was shot a fancy dressed city slicker and two strung out Great Khan thugs were causing a bit of trouble in the bar. No-one knew where they came from or who they were but they were overheard talking about heading towards Primm. Anyway, it was a good enough place to start but doing this on my own? It all sounded impossible back then.

I wandered around town scavenging the ruined houses for anything I could use. No-one seemed bothered by it and most of the ruins had been picked over years ago anyway so I didn't expect to find anything. One of the townies suggested I take a look at the old schoolhouse as squatters sometimes used it and left junk behind when they moved on. I decided it couldn't hurt and you never know what might be laying around for the taking. What's that old saying...one man's trash is another man's treasure...and the other one...beggars can't be choosers.

I walked around the outside of the building which seemed to be pretty well intact and strangely deserted. It crossed my mind that no-one had taken over and made a home here. I carefully pushed the door ajar and peered into the darkness. Across the room I could just make out several grotesque mutated insects, emerging from giant egg sacs. Mantises. Not really dangerous but real pests in numbers. Then, angry growling and snarling and a huge commotion as desks and loose debris was tossed around the room. It was hard to see in the murk, but something was attacking and killing the insects as they appeared.

Dogs. Two of them. It was too late to back out the door and I froze as they turned toward me. One dog was a mottled gray and from what I could see in the gloom had half his tail and parts of his ears missing as well as other healing injuries. The other was black and tan and they both wore scuffed armoured backpacks. Not pets then. And they looked half starved. We eyed each other across the room, neither making a move.

I remembered I had some jerky in my pocket that I'd bought from Chet at the General Store. I carefully pulled it from my pocket, unwrapped it and tossed it toward the dogs, but they remained suspicious and didn't go for it. Well trained also.

Hunger eventually got the better of the black and tan dog and he edged closer to the dried meat, sniffing and salivating as he went. He grabbed a piece of meat in his jaws, swallowed it whole and was about to snap up the remainder when the other dog pushed him aside and stood protectively over his share, but he didn't eat. The bi-coloured dog whined and came towards me, nuzzling my hand looking for more. I could see he had a name tag on his collar. Bullets. Very apt I thought.

The tattered gray dog growled low in his throat and I could see he wanted to eat, but whatever heavy handed training he'd had got the better of him. I'd have bet he was afraid of a beating, one of many by the looks of him. I was saddened and angry at the same time. It looked like these dogs had been cast off and left to die in this dark, dirty building with no food or water. I was damned if I was going to let it happen no matter how long I had to stand there. I slowly backed away to give the wary dog space and that was when he finally gave in and ate the offered meat, but he didn't come closer.

I decided it was time I made a move so I carefully took out my flashlight and began looking through the old cupboards and inside battered lockers for anything worthwhile, the whole time letting the dogs become used to my presence. I liked dogs and they generally liked me and I wondered if I had a pet dog sometime long ago.

At the back of the main room I discovered a locked safe and a terminal that seemed to be in working order. I booted it up and waited for it to initialize. It had a crude encryption but for some reason the programing looked familiar to me and I set about trying to crack the code. I made it on the second attempt. It was just a locking mechanism for the safe. I'd hit the jackpot. Some bottle caps, ammunition, a Stealth Boy and a plasma pistol.

In my excitement I'd forgotten about the dogs but they seemed to be settled and more comfortable having me around for now. I discovered the gray dog was called Shrapnel. I didn't know what I was going to do with them but I was sure they wouldn't be very welcome around town and the livestock without an owner. They'd probably be shot on sight. Either that or they would soon be on someone's menu as skinny as they were, if I didn't do something.

I decided I had to leave them here until I was ready to leave as much as I hated to do it, but I'd bring them food and water as long as I had enough caps to buy it. I had to take them with me and they would be good company on the road. Some protection as well maybe, since they seemed to be trained.

I decided then that whatever happened I had to leave town the next day. I was ready.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Maigrets
Admin

"Onwards..and meeting people." No formatting again, I'm afraid. :-(

Early the next morning I gathered my few belongings, stuffed them into an old duffel bag and headed off to see Delilah to pay my respects as Doc had asked. I'd settled down on an old blanket under the stars the night before, just listening to the night insects and reflecting on the future...and speculating on what the past might have been. I don't think I'd slept more than a few minutes at a time and then I was jolted awake by disturbing dreams that I couldn't remember. My eyes were gritty, my head wound was aching and I was stiff and sore all over, but I wasn't going to let that stop me.

I propped my duffel against the door frame as I knocked and waited for Delilah to answer. I think she was surprised to see me up and around but she invited me in and we sat and chatted as she brewed coffee from what must have been a meagre supply. I didn't really have much to contribute to the conversation besides more thanks and promises to be careful.

"I won't forget your kindness, or Doc's...and Trudy." I said. "You know nothing about me, a total stranger, yet you didn't didn't turn me away or leave me to die when that might have been easier."

"Think nothing of it." she said, smiling. "It's not every day we get to bring somone back from the dead after they've been dug out of their own grave and Trudy is a mother hen to everyone."

"I'm moving on Delilah." I said at last. "There's nothing for me here. I don't have a trade to offer and I'm sure I'm not cut out to be a farmer so..."

"Wait...just let me think a minute...." she replied all in a rush. "Listen, do you want some company on the road. It's just that I've been with the Doc for a couple of years now and I've picked up a lot from him, but there's so much more to learn. There's a doctor at the Old Mormon Outpost I could study with."

"Well, I haven't thought that far ahead and it's a long way to Vegas." I said. "But, if you want to tag along...sure, why not. I tell you what...there's a shack just out of town owned by some guy called Frankie..do you know it? I'll wait there for a couple of hours while you get sorted and we can take it from there."

I left Delilah to make her preparations, grabbed my duffel bag and headed for the schoolhouse.

"Come on guys." I called round the door. The dogs were excited and they eagerly came to me, trusting and ready for new adventures as most dogs are. "Let's move."
The sun was high in the sky, scorching all under it's gaze and I took a sip from my water bottle as I leaned on the wall of Frankie's shack. There was a guard and a Protectron outside today. I'd heard Frankie was a retired gun dealer so maybe he was expecting someone...besides me that is. I'd spoken to him once before and he'd offered me a job for a mysterious reward, a key to a place called the Underground, but I would have to prove myself first. I'd had to refuse for the time being. I wasn't ready for it, but maybe I'd be back someday.

"Where are you headed?" the guard asked me, just making idle conversation.

"I thought I'd start out for Primm." I replied. "There's someone I need to find."

"Take some friendly advice. Stay on the I-15, but watch out for Raiders." she remarked. "Powder Gangers should leave you alone if you don't rile them. Just stay well away from Sloan up near Quarry Junction. I hear they are having trouble with Deathclaws. You don't want to mess with them."

"Thanks. I'll keep it in mind." I said. Deathclaws...hmmm.

I shaded my eyes with my hand and saw Delilah walking along the road toward me. She was better prepared than I was with sunglasses, an old cowboy hat covering her dark hair and a pistol holstered on her hip. At least I had the plasma pistol, but hat and glasses...maybe later. Just goes to show how green I was back then.

"Where did the dogs come from?" Delilah asked. "Haven't seen them around before."

"Found them a few days ago in a sorry state and I've been feeding them." I replied, not giving her a chance to object. "They'll be OK. Shall we go?"

We set off at a steady pace, keeping to the highway and keeping watch as the guard had advised. It wasn't long before we heard gunshots and they were close, not far ahead. There wasn't much cover except for a few large boulders that we huddled behind trying to get a glimpse of what lay ahead....before it saw us. Something was on fire in the middle of the road and a lone man was firing at something I couldn't see. The dogs went crazy and bolted in his direction.

"Bullets, Shrapnel...no!" I cried as they both took off like rockets. Two Raiders were closing in on the man from the crest of a small rise, firing automatic weapons like maniacal fiends. Just then there was a high pitched giggling behind us...

"Hehe..hehe...well, well, what do we have here? Two pretty ladies...hehehe." The Raider stood unsteadily, sweating and drooling like a strung out junkie, but he was aiming his pistol right between my eyes. "Run. Run, little rabbits. How far you gonna get before I gun you down, hehehe. Run!"

I reacted without thinking, drawing the plasma pistol and fired point blank three times into his chest. He screamed like a tortured banshee, thrashing and convulsing as he burned from the inside out. Then he exploded into a green mist and was reduced to a pile of sludge at my feet. I was too shaken to think too hard about what just happened, but at least we were alive. What a great start.
"Where did you learn to shoot like that?" asked Delilah. "That was... crazy."

"I don't know. I just... Anyway, let's see if that guy is OK." I replied, brushing it off.

It seemed he could hold his own after all as the other Raiders were lying dead, twitching and spattered with their own blood. Both dogs were bloodied, but unhurt. Shrapnel continued growling and whining, still on guard and vigilant but I managed to calm him. Bad memories, I guess.

"Woah! Will you look at that." the man moaned, pointing at the fire. "It was a piece of junk bike and it was always breaking down, but it was mine. Bastards just set it on fire. Damn it, now what am I going to do?"

"It's just a bike." I said, all businesslike. "Get over it."
"Just a bike...just a...you know what, that hurts." he replied. "Now I really need a hit. Just a little Jet and maybe some Psycho. Yeah...that's it. Name's Niner by the way. Hey, don't ask, it's my name, OK."

"I'm Molly Daro, but I've been called Courier Six. This is my friend Delilah. We're on our way to Primm." I said.

"I'm just going to call you Six then." Niner said. "Like a nickname, you know. It's easier and since you dissed my bike.... Well, I guess I'll hang with you. I like dogs too and they like me, so everything's cool then, eh."

Now we were three, plus two.

We arrived at Primm without further incident, although we saw small groups of Powder Gangers along the way. They left us alone and we didn't bother them. When we arrived at Primm we saw the NCR was embedded there, but only a small contingent on the outskirts of town. The soldiers said some escaped prisoners from the Correctional Facility had taken over the town and the locals were staying out of sight in the Vikki and Vance Casino, afraid to come out. No-one could get in or out and the NCR didn't have the manpower, so they said, but if we really wanted to get in we had to take our chances. It looked more like the NCR didn't give a damn to me, they had enough troops as far as I could see.

We might have to fight our way in, but if that's how it was going to be.... We made camp for the night and talked about nothing in particular around the fire as we waited to see what morning had in store.
To be continued.
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

I've reinstalled New Vegas...I guess somehow you influenced me again lol...
The game is great and my laptop can handle it, so since I don't really remember my first playthrough I figure I start a second one.
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Maigrets
Admin

MasterAub wrote:I've reinstalled New Vegas...I guess somehow you influenced me again lol...
The game is great and my laptop can handle it, so since I don't really remember my first playthrough I figure I start a second one.
Thanks. :) Awesome game.

It's very buggy though (at least on Windows7. I never had this issue with WinXP) so to save yourself some heartache perhaps watch Gopher's video on stabilizing the game. After I did that and followed his directions I never crash even with the huge mod load I have.

I've added it to the other New Vegas thread so as not to derail this one which I want to keep for Molly's story.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1865
Maigrets
Admin

A couple of the screenshots are a bit random as I haven't taken any new ones so they are just for show and to break up the text.
PART 3 - Primm and Robotic Tricks

"We should douse the fire before we move out." I said as I yawned and stretched my aching muscles. I think I had bruises from the hard ground and the pebbles that dug into my back during the night. "Can we hunt up some kindling for the next travelers who come by?"

"Why? Who cares." Niner replied. "You want to do the dishes as well? Really, Six, what are you thinking?"

"Just a minute." Delilah said, as she rummaged through her backpack. "I should whip up a few Healing Powders before you do that. I'm nearly out of Broc Flower though, so if you see some let me know."

"Very funny, Niner." I retorted. "It was just a thought, calm down. Psycho doesn't agree with you in the morning does it?"

"What's the matter with you two?" Delilah said. "We're all a little tense, but lighten up, OK."

I grabbed my duffel, called the dogs and stomped off in the direction of the Primm gates, where a lone NCR soldier was stationed, without waiting for the others. I liked Niner but he was getting on my nerves and it was only the second day. I told myself it was the drugs, but that wasn't it really. He was such a spoiled brat and for some reason he seemed to latch onto me like a lost puppy as though I had all the answers. I'm not even sure if that was the main problem really, something else was going on and I didn't like it. Maybe I am over-reacting as Delilah pointed out.

The others caught up and after a warning from the soldier about strategically placed mines, we decided it would be a good idea to scout the area around the casino before stumbling in like idiots and getting shot.

"Who are these Powder Gangers?" I asked the soldier. "Odd name."

"Prisoners rioted at the prison awhile back and took it over. They stole a whole heap of dynamite and just came up with the name. It stuck." replied the guard. "Bunch of lunatics if you want my opinion. They like to booby trap abandoned camps and buildings. Some they live in, some they just trap for fun and watch the explosions and body parts go flying."

"Who doesn't like fireworks then, eh!" said Niner, laughing. "Boom! Poof, red mist!"

I grabbed him by the elbow and shoved him stumbling forward. "There are mines right there on the walkway. Let's see you disarm them or it's really going to be fireworks."

"OK, OK. I get it." he said. "No need to get all uptight again, Six. Sheesh."

With the mines disabled we crept up behind a ruined gas station so we could get an idea of how many prisoners we'd be facing and if there was decent cover we could use. Two well armed Powder Gangers were patrolling the road on the left side of the casino and as far as we could determine, only one on the other side. We were supposedly going up against criminals and thugs, not trained soldiers, but anyone who survives in this savage wasteland are nothing to be trifled with.

"See that roller coaster." Niner whispered. He was switched on and alert, different. "Before the war Primm was a tourist attraction, but just look at it now. It's a wreck. I bet there are spotters up there, so keep your eyes open and stay down."
"Could we use it to get inside?" I asked. The roller coaster was attached to a big casino, the Bison Steve, but the casino itself had seen better days. In a couple of places the roller coaster had fallen onto the roof and round the side it had dropped onto a balcony with a door.

"Probably, but we need to deal with the hostiles out here first." Niner replied. One thing at a time. Stay here. I'm going to take out the lone guy, real quiet like, and see what's what around the corner."

Niner waited until the prison escapee was out of sight then duck walked to the back of the Vikki and Vance, the smaller casino. He waited and watched gauging the man's patrol path, drew his combat knife and crept behind him. He tapped the thug on the shoulder to get his attention, then as he swung round, startled and off balance, Niner slashed his throat from ear to ear. A hot stream of crimson gushed forth splashing Niner's jeans and boots.

"Would you look at that." Niner growled and viciously kicked the body. "You ruined my favourite boots. I hope you've got some choice gear besides that crappy little pistol, dirtbag. Now, let's check your pockets."

The rest of us quietly moved forward to Niner's position and as luck would have it one of the other Powder Ganger's ambled round the corner of the building. He was looking back over his shoulder talking to his partner so he hadn't seen us crouching there, as still as statues, but one false move and it would be on. I noticed his buddy was standing close to one of the ancient automobiles. On impulse and maybe a little panic, I aimed my plasma pistol at the ruined engine and fired shots one after the other. The ancient vehicle's nuclear reactor exploded in spectacular fashion vaporizing the convict and showering the other in flaming debris, setting him aflame and killing him seconds later. He burned to a black husk so fast he didn't have time to scream.

"Well, that takes care of that." Niner said nonchalantly. "Quick thinking there, Six. Looks like the spooters on the roller coater didn't even notice, if there are any, that is."

"Listen, do we really have a reason to go inside the Bison Steve?" I asked the others. "I'm almost out of ammo and I'd rather get moving towards Vegas than settle the NCR's score with a bunch of escaped convicts for them."

"It's more than fine with me if we leave them to it." replied Delilah. "What about you, Niner? It's not our fight after all and I've got better things to do than die today."

"Yeah, let's just scout around some of the derelict buildings and see what we can find. You never know. We should drop into the Vikki and Vance for a a quick visit if there's anybody in there. They may have a lead on the guy who put that slug in your skull, Six."

We didn't find much in the way of useable supplies but we discovered the body of another courier slumped outside the door of the Mojave Express offices and he had been shot in the head. He had a note on him very similar to the one found in my pocket. The note was crumpled and had been soaked in blood so was almost unreadable but it mentioned something about a mysterious delivery and not much else. I had no idea what it meant but it had me wondering. I don't believe in co-incidences and this had trouble written all over it. No pun intended.

Inside the office we found a broken Eyebot with instructions on how to fix it. Now this was my area of expertise. There were bits of scrap metal and old electronics laying around but the instructions said I needed a couple of sensor modules and they weren't easy to come by. I thought I could do it without them though given a little time and the bot might come in useful since it was weaponized.
It didn't take as long as I expected and while I worked the others went over to the casino to see if there was anyone there who could help out with info or supplies. I kept the dogs with me in case of trouble.

After a bit of jury rigging and bypassing some of it's hopefully non-essential circuits, plus a lot of concentration, I had the little Eyebot running. It had a sticker pasted to it's frame printed with the letters ED-E, so I decided to call it Eddie which actually worked out well with voice commands. I ran some diagnostics and managed to get the basic protocols running but I was either locked out of it's main databanks or they were corrupted. I was pretty sure it's weapons system would function though and the rest could wait until I had better tools and a workshop.

Delilah returned with a message from Niner, a small bundle of food a a little ammo. There were some people holed up in the casino waiting for the NCR to get off it's ass and drive off the convicts, but he did find out that a couple of Great Khans and a city boy with an attitude passed through some time ago on the way to Vegas.

"Ah, I found something else." Delilah said. "I'll look after her and I promise she won't be any trouble. I'm calling her Lady." A scruffy black and white puppy peered at me with big brown eyes from behind Delilah's legs. I shrugged my shoulders. One more couldn't hurt and dogs were less trouble than some people.
Niner was taking his sweet time but he finally arrived and was looking the worse for wear. He'd obviously had a few hits while he was gone and his eyes were glassy and unfocused. Great.

"Yeah, yeah, I know Six. Don't come down on me. I'll be fine." He muttered, not sorry at all. "Maybe we should get moving. I don't know about you guys, but I'm a bit hyper just now, and I couldn't sleep if I tried."

I just rolled my eyes hoping this wouldn't be trouble later, and I wondered again was going on in Niner's head and suspected it wasn't just the drugs.

Apparently, our next stop, if I wanted to stay on the trail of the snake who shot me, was a little town called Nipton but there was one detail that Niner had neglected to mention regarding his chat with the folk at the casino. There were rumours that The Legion was making inroads into NCR territory. I didn't know much about The Legion but if half of what I had heard was true we'd do well to stay well away from them.

I was starting to wonder if it was worth trekking all the way to Vegas after the little snake who shot me. What was I planning to do? Walk right up to him, poke a finger in his chest and demand an explanation? What was the deal with the Platinum Chip I was supposed to deliver anyway and did I care? Best thing to do right now I decided is to put it out of my head and see where the road led us. Maybe find some work, earn some caps and stay out of trouble for the time being.

A couple of hours later we came across a traveling merchant sitting by the side of the road with his head in his hands. His pack Brahmin was dead and his wares were strewn over the road. The sacks and boxes had been ransacked and anything of value had either been stolen or destroyed. Two mercenaries lay dead in pools of congealing blood, their weapons still holstered.
"Hey man, what happened to you?" Niner asked the merchant. "Looks like you were ambushed."

"Raiders. We never had a chance." He groaned. "They normally leave us alone but this bunch had a real wild look about them. I only made it because I pretended to be dead and they never checked after a few rounds of buckshot knocked me down. Didn't think I'd make it."

"Here, let me take a look at your wounds." Delilah said. "I don't have much in the way of bandages but I do have some Healing Powder. It'll take the edge off the pain, at least for a while."

"Thank you miss. That's good of you, but let me give you some advice." The merchant replied. "You don't want to hang around here too long. The Raiders might have a hideout around here somewhere and they could still be watching the road. It's not far back to Primm, right? I'll head there and let the NCR know what happened, not that they'll do anything of course, but I also need to let the Crimson Caravan know about this."

"We should do something about the bodies." I said. "I've heard stories about "strange meat" and I've got a bad feeling it's not a new variety of beef."

"Yeah, a lot of the feral tribes, the real bad ones anyway, are partial to a bit of human flesh." Niner said. "I've heard it tastes like pork, but there's something in it that messes with your brain and sends you crazy. I'll stick with a few hits of Psycho now and again. At least I know why I'm a screwball."

I laughed in spite of myself. Niner had character, that's for sure and he wasn't dangerous, just overly needy sometimes.

We dragged the bodies off the road behind some bushes and piled some rocks around them to keep animals away, but it wouldn't stop humans finding them. There wasn't much else we could do as this was pretty open country, but the merchant said he would try to send someone to collect them when he reached Primm.

We all agreed it was time to move on and Raider hunting might be a worthwhile diversion. A few less could only be a good thing.
To be continued.
Ghouls baby!
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Now that is one heck of an ugly Ghoul. :grin:
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:Now that is one heck of an ugly Ghoul. :grin:
LOL, yeah, they are dangerous too. Some of them (Glowing Ones) explode with radiation and heal other nearby ghouls as well as flooding you with radiation, so if you're surrounded it can get interesting.

That particular shot and the first one with the giant geckos is from Monster Wars which I sadly had to remove because my PC just couldn't handle it. It was fine until I got to the more inhabited areas around Vegas but then turned into a slide show. It doesn't help that I have a heap of texture packs and other mods and I'd rather keep those.