Thief 2014

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Well, I played Thief for about an hour on Saturday and haven't played since for a couple of reasons, not just the game. One reason being I'm just not in the mood to play any game at the moment. Lack of sleep and a disruptive and abusive neighbour is the reason for most of that.

Anyway,

The game is beautiful, even at lower settings on my PC. It runs smoothly in actual gameplay areas, however, as many, many other players are reporting the cut scenes stutter so much as to be almost unplayable and make it all quite unpleasant. There are many places where the dialogue is delayed and doesn't coincide with the subtitles which is another reported bug.

The forums are full of bug reports including reproducible crashes at certain points, among other things.
EIDOS Thief Tech Forum:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=317

Other than that I like most what I've seen so far. You can set your own custom difficulty, however it can't be changed once the game starts, Garrett has a different voice, but still very good, a dark and gritty atmosphere, fairly good AI which is dependent on your difficulty level, etc.

One thing they could have left out is the prompts every time you perform an action...for example after jumping over several crates or ledges I know I have to press SPACE and don't need reminding every time. Another is movement is not as free as the previous games in that you can only use items like Water or Rope Arrows etc on certain items which are highlighted, some things that should be climbable or able to be climbed over are not and other things like that. You have to follow where the game wants you to go. It's an obvious console game.

The game comes on 3 DVD's (retail obviously..lol)and installs at 24GB which took 3/4 of an hour and then I had to download the first patch from Steam which was 230+Mb and then activate and download the free mission I got for pre-ordering.

As I type I'm downloading the second patch but I won't be playing again for maybe a few days so I'll add to this later.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Maigrets wrote:Well, I played Thief for about an hour on Saturday and haven't played since for a couple of reasons, not just the game. One reason being I'm just not in the mood to play any game at the moment. Lack of sleep and a disruptive and abusive neighbour is the reason for most of that.
Yeah i know that all to well, i have a neighbour who is disruptive. But to bad for him i do not back down...i get even. But add the abusive factor for your neighbour and i guess the police will be a regular visitor at unknown hours of the day? ( I just do not get people who are like that!? )

As for Thief...wow that has become a huge game. Long ago i played the first Thief game for a long time and it was great...but i personally did not like the sequels on it.
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

Yeah i know that all to well, i have a neighbour who is disruptive. But to bad for him i do not back down...i get even. But add the abusive factor for your neighbour and i guess the police will be a regular visitor at unknown hours of the day? ( I just do not get people who are like that!? )
Well, it's in Police hands and since he's in rented house he is risking eviction...again. This all happened last year until it got to the crunch and he was about to be thrown out. He's sort of behaved since, but because he's a moron (for want of a better word I can't use here) who thinks laws don't apply to him, his stupidity will be a win for me and the other neighbours sooner or later. Can't be soon enough as far as I'm concerned, but the wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly.
As for Thief...wow that has become a huge game. Long ago i played the first Thief game for a long time and it was great...but i personally did not like the sequels on it.
To tell you the truth I'm feeling a bit like that with this new version. It doesn't seem to have the same atmosphere as the old games, but as I said I've only played briefly. I felt the same with Deus Ex and it's sequels. I absolutely loved the first game and played most of the mods for it, but the sequels, including Human Revolution didn't really grab me at all. In fact I tried twice to finish HR but only got to 1/2 way both times and uninstalled it.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Maigrets
Admin

Thief is up to it's 3rd patch. There are still issues related to sound and shadows and predictable crashes on one of the maps that haven't been properly resolved, as well as a long list of other things that need fixing.

This is a very long list of the sound issues and there's another thread for other bugs. For a game that's based on stealth, where you need to rely on sound so you know where NPC's and guards are to avoid detection, this is more than a bit poor. It's not only directional sound that's bugged, it's sounds missing, playing when they shouldn't, subtitles out of sequence and a heap more.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=142344

I'm not going to continue playing until it looks like the game is fully patched or as close to it as it can be to save myself some annoyance. I'll probably need to start again anyway which isn't a big deal since I haven't got past the 1st chapter.

I must say I'm a bit disappointed as the Thief series is one of my favourites.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

That is to bad to hear, the series started out really great.

And a nice new avatar you have now...just keep that scythe away from my head/ :grin:
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

And a nice new avatar you have now...just keep that scythe away from my head/ :grin:
LOL, I couldn't find an actual Dark Souls avatar with that outfit so I improvised. It's exactly what my character is wearing and is one of the best light armours in the game. She looks like death incarnate...or a Nazgul. lol

I haven't got the actual scythe yet, but I know where it's located.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:LOL, I couldn't find an actual Dark Souls avatar with that outfit so I improvised. It's exactly what my character is wearing and is one of the best light armours in the game. She looks like death incarnate...or a Nazgul. lol

I haven't got the actual scythe yet, but I know where it's located.
Always nice if a character looks the part as well, hopefully you will get the scythe soon. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Really have to wonder about the state of game releases these days and a AAA game to boot... ;-((

I've been checking the Thief forums every few days or so and now it seems a terrible bug was introduced in the last patch, or from what I've read it didn't happen until the latest patch. Many people, or those who have reported it and not just deleted the game, are having save issues. On completing a mission it doesn't save and allow you to continue, but puts you back at the beginning of the mission. Other people report saves being corrupted and just wrongly dated and often having no relevance to the data it's supposed to have saved....ie you think you're loading a particular area but end up with something else.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=142875

Now it's another wait until they fix this AND the sound issues before i attempt to play again. More likely it's another $70 wasted. suck
Maigrets
Admin

Thief is now at the 1.4 patch which, according to forum goers still hasn't fixed the save looping problems, among other things like crashes at certain points.

I just watched Gopher's rant about this game and to say you can hear the disappointment and anger in his voice is an understatement. In the video he briefly mentions the various bugs like the sound issues etc, but here he is talking mainly about the severely broken stealth mechanics. This is supposed to be a stealth game at it's core and if you watch the examples of how broken it is you can see it fails miserably. :-(

Gopher plays on Master difficulty and the examples shown demonstrate how bad it is even more. He also mentions the stupid system of having one key for several functions and an important thing in a game where you may need to get away quickly....no jump key so that free jumping is non-existent. The most ludicrous thing shown is how one guard stays asleep when there's noise all around, unless you break a lockpick when opening a safe near him, and two other guards who continue on their merry way despite a furor in the next room which can be easily heard.

Anyway, some people in the comments have recommended a FREE game called The Dark mod which is a Steampunk themed stealth game based on Thief and actually works. I may well download it myself as I do like stealth games as much as action ones.
The Dark Mod
http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/
Gopher's rant.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Hmm i might take a look at The Dark Mod as well one of these days, might be a good one. And now i am of to see Gopher rant. :)

EDIT: Wow...that was indeed bad, definitely not what you would expect from a stealth game. :shock: