Dark Souls 2

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Dark Souls 2 parody. How many ways are there to die?
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

LoL it was only a matter of time that would happen. :grin:
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

Been playing Dark Souls 2 again the past few days. Made a new character and progressed almost to the end of the main game with still a good way to go, then the DLC's. The 3rd DLC is due in a week and is expected to be as good, or better than the previous two.

Either I'm getting better at the game, or they made it easier when I wasn't looking...and that's highly unlikely lol When I say better I mean I can solo some of the bosses I never could before, (in the main game, not the DLC's which are super hard) or just have a NPC along.
This is the Emerald Herald standing next to my character Zephyr. The Herald is our guide of sorts throughout the game, but she is very enigmatic and not exactly forthcoming with information. She's standing slightly behind so I don't get the dialogue prompts in the screenshot.

A couple of boss fights I was co-oping. This is the Old Iron King. He's easy enough solo, but co-op is fun.

The Rotten, who lives at the bottom of a huge pit where the populace throw their rubbish, including corpses, which The Rotten is made up of. Both he and the Old Iron King, along with two others, are "Great Souls" and are mandatory for entering a certain phase of the game. You can get by with 3 with a condition though.

Miserable in The Gulch - the home of The Rotten. Poison spitting statues, grotesque monsters that live in tar pools and darkness - what more could you want? lol, Not really miserable though...I've been through there so many times and can make it through without getting poisoned or hit.

Creepy looking insect waits around the corner. They spit corrosive acid which destroys your gear if it hits, so behind that bug is a pit with 6 or 7 of them, along with "pods" that burst if you run up against them. The bugs fly and are extremely dangerous in close quarters. They are in the Sunken Crown DLC.

The Iron Keep just before the Old iron King boss fight.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

Screenies are nice and I really like the helmet
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

The one with the bug around the corner has a Alfred Hitchcock movie effect...you see the danger as the audience and want to scream...look out for the danger..read the script for crying out loud. :grin:
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

Thanks MasterAub and Fessels. :) This game is so addictive. There were a lot of complaints about "balance" changes made to the game, but they haven't affected me. It's mainly PvP players that are up in arms and that doesn't interest me so I don't really care. :P Some of the changes were to stop exploits and people are unhappy they can't win now by spamming certain spells, triple buffing or by other means.

I also saw a post on the Official forums saying the PC version of the game is dead and there's no-one around in multi-player. Don't know where that came from as I obviously play on PC and have co-op'ed a LOT and seen plenty of phantoms this playthrough....in fact no less than normal IMHO. Once again I think it must be PvP and people are finding it harder to find duels, fight clubs or invade.

There are some fantastic screenshots circulating of the 3rd DLC which is taking place in a snowy, frozen area and I'm really looking forward to it.
This is the Throne Watcher armour set. You can buy boss armours after defeating them and this has high magic defense.

My character Zephyr after gaining the Sunken Crown. I didn't notice on the character screen before but it gives various bonuses when worn.

Nashandra - the final boss of the main game. I helped several people to get past her and one player in particular 3 times. He/she was so grateful and spammed the Thank You carving over and over..lol.. He/she died twice because of rushing in and not noticing that Nashandra curses you and your health drops dramatically if you don't watch out. It wasn't one of the players in the screenshot though. She also has an AOE attack, as some of the other bosses do. Plus, this boss starts immediately after another and I think most people don't expect it if they haven't done it before.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Rushing in while not noticing the specific spells and attack a certain enemy uses at times...ah i know it well. Image
Maigrets
Admin

The Crown of the Ivory King DLC has been delayed until the 30th and according to this article will be the greatest challenge yet.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/18/635918 ... g-tgs-2014

It has changing weather systems, and lots of secrets...ie bosses that can't be damaged without a certain item, chests that can't be opened in certain weather conditions and more. The bosses are the most challenging yet according to the article, which scares me a bit since the Crown of the Iron King DLC bosses were very well designed, but extremely difficult, at least for me.

The follower system sounds interesting in that the more followers you collect, the easier a boss if going to be. It will be interesting to see how that works because "easy" isn't a word that comes to mind especially in the past 2 DLC's. The trash enemies in those were often more deadly than the bosses...eg Drakeblood Knights in the Sunken King...I hate them with a passion.

I personally would like to see a vendor or some other option for purchasing unlimited Twinkling Titanite and Petrified Dragon Bones (very rare crafting materials) without having to use Bonfire Ascetics and making NG+ cycles even harder.

EDITED to mention those crafting materials are very rare.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

The follower system is something many will welcome i guess. :)

As to trash mobs being more dangerous then a Boss character...yes i have encountered situations like that. Understandable in real life, but in games it can be freaking annoying.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:The follower system is something many will welcome i guess. :)
Yeah, but it won't be like Skyrim where they follow and take orders until you tell them to get lost. No-one wants that in this game and I don't know how they would program it anyway really. I'm sure they will be only for one purpose and then released or dead...lol.
As to trash mobs being more dangerous then a Boss character...yes i have encountered situations like that. Understandable in real life, but in games it can be freaking annoying.
Trash mobs in real life...hmmm.. :grin: but then I've experienced something similar in the workplace, as I imagine most people have, where workers can be bullies and troublemakers, Image which ultimately can be worse than a horrible boss.

In games at least you can kill them, even if it takes a few tries, without being arrested. :ninja:
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:In games at least you can kill them, even if it takes a few tries, without being arrested. :ninja:
LoL yeah the last part would be a problem. :grin:
Maigrets
Admin

The Crown of the Ivory King is out, and a day early for the PC version. :happy: So far it's very enjoyable, not overly hard and has some puzzle aspects which are very nice. As you progress through the snow and freezing wind, snow builds up on your character and visibility is reduced. That changes later after a certain point.

On moving through the first area you find everything frozen solid, including treasure chests and some pathways which are blocked and impassable. In the case of the chests they are impossible to open until finding an item and defeating the 1st boss.

I don't know how long this DLC is but I spent several hours playing last night and I think I only scratched the surface. I did a lot of backtracking though to investigate the newly opened paths and get the treasure chests. One boss down and two more to find.
The entrance to the main area, Frozen Eleum Loyce. A female voice warns you to stay away, but that would cut things short wouldn't it...lol

Cityscape

Bad, bad kitty!.... Aava - The King's Pet. Absolutely "cool" boss in every way. Those spiky things over his head are the beginning of a homing spell. If you fight him before finding a certain item he will be invisible which makes it very difficult to say the least. This item also reveals secrets like ladders and other things previously unseen.

The Grand Cathedral. This is where I left off, but there was a long conversation with a female high on the balcony, and couldn't actually see. I suspect even though she asked for our help that she is one of the bosses as in the previous DLC's, (a fragment of Manus, Father of the Abyss) and has her own agenda.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Aava is definitely not a lap cat that you want to forget to feed. :)

The ice or water in the last picture looks amazing?
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

This is my favorite DLC so far, it feels like they put way more effort into this one.
Maigrets
Admin

Gork712 wrote:This is my favorite DLC so far, it feels like they put way more effort into this one.
I agree although I did like the Iron King which I think was harder than this one, or at least the bosses. This DLC has a lot of places that are not obvious and encourages exploring. I HATE those little spiky creatures that stun you when they roll into you though. lol
Maigrets
Admin

I finished the Crown of the Ivory King with two characters, a DEX and a Strength based. I enjoyed this DLC a lot except for one area that is my idea of hell in a snowbound land. It's a challenge area meant for co-op, but even then it's very hard since you have very low visibility for most of the time (blizzards) and there are infinitely respawning "Ice Horses" that hit like a truck, have a lightning AOE and also shoot lightning. I managed to get to the boss a couple of times, once with NPC helpers and once with real people..lol, but died.

The boss is two huge sabre tooth tigers in a small arena, black versions of the DLC 1st boss. Once one is half dead, the other joins the fray and like the 1st boss they both have AOE and spells. One of the biggest problems I had in the fight was the camera and getting caught beneath one of the tigers or against a wall because the arena is so small. After that I tried several times but couldn't even get to the boss area as the horses just started coming in pairs and sometimes three at once. Not doing it again. :hang: It's optional. The horses are good for Petrified Dragon Bone farming though (upgrade materials).
This is how you get to the Frigid Outskirts - the challenge area. A sled ride in a coffin over the ledge.

Lud - one of the King's Pets. The other is called Zallen. You can see he stunned me...lol

"Ice Ponies" I don't know what they are really called, but they look like reindeer and neigh like horses. They have taken the top position as my most hated enemy.

Scar wearing the Fume Knight armour from the Iron King DLC, except for the crown which is also from Iron King DLC. It has an active effect of replenishing some of your spells at intervals.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Nice Kitty ... stay? :)

But those "Ice Ponies" look absolutely vicious!?
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:Nice Kitty ... stay? :)

But those "Ice Ponies" look absolutely vicious!?
Here's a video where the player is at New Game+++ trying this area, and it's hard on New Game without doing it at the next 3 hardest levels.

This is a challenge area meant specifically for co-op, and is optional, not that that makes it any more fun or easier, but this guy is doing it solo until the end where he summons one of the NPC's provided. In a way it's his fault for attempting an obvious challenge area solo, or at least it should have been clear it's designed that way after trying so many times.

Some people have the mistaken belief that summoning help is somehow weak. Raging makes for good views I guess.

I have seen a couple of other people do it solo and very well too, but I'm linking this video because it made me laugh. I can laugh, hysterically...lol, because I know what he's going through, even though I'm doing it on New Game. Or trying to, and not solo.
TearofGrace

In fact this is another player doing it solo, keeping his cool and succeeding. Not raging and he is a good player. For good Dark Souls 2 content I like this guy. He's funny but also a good player and intelligent about it. He's getting the key to the area first.
MrAndersonLP
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

The last video was the best of the two in my opinion, he seems to be the more experienced player of the two.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:The last video was the best of the two in my opinion, he seems to be the more experienced player of the two.
Yes, the first is an example of how raging, and in many cases just being juvenile, gets more views and subscribers on Youtube which is sad. That's in any game, not just this one though. It can be entertaining up to a point if it's a sometime thing to be amusing, but if it were me I wouldn't want to show myself playing that badly on a regular basis.

Some of the best players I've seen are small channels with a few 1000 subs.

Going by a lot of the videos I watch, and I watch a lot of Let's Players, I consider myself an above average and smart player even if that's praising myself.

Tonight I killed the same invader twice. He was using lance as well which can be hard to counter. I felt a bit sorry for the guy invading me twice and getting destroyed both times.... :D Only a little though because he invaded me and expected to win I imagine.