Dark Souls 2

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Well i have been trying to get those videos from Gopher to load on you tube, but for some reason they just do not. They are huge compared to what he usually does, but no matter how long i waited these past few days...they do not load. So i can only imagine how his review was for you.

As for the online features...considering that the game is really difficult, you would expect him to be happy with those features? And a game does not have to be with Crystal clear graphics to be great. Take for instance Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, definitely not HD graphics, but to me it was/is still a great game. ( Until support went down, and the company went bankrupt. :( )
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Fessels wrote:Well i have been trying to get those videos from Gopher to load on you tube, but for some reason they just do not. They are huge compared to what he usually does, but no matter how long i waited these past few days...they do not load. So i can only imagine how his review was for you. [quote[

Both the videos are around an hour and a half long, but I don't know why they won't load for you. Unrelated to the topic but...One thing I know is I'm going to have to cut down watching Youtube videos because they are eating into my monthly bandwidth allowance and twice recently I've ended up on dial up speed, luckily only for a couple of days. It's so easy to just watch a lot of videos every day and forget how much bandwidth they use.
As for the online features...considering that the game is really difficult, you would expect him to be happy with those features? And a game does not have to be with Crystal clear graphics to be great. Take for instance Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, definitely not HD graphics, but to me it was/is still a great game. ( Until support went down, and the company went bankrupt. :( )
Yeah, I was thinking I probably shouldn't have criticized Gopher as I did, but this PC elitism just gets on my nerves. He went into it with the wrong attitude and it showed. Some agreed with him as followers do, but plenty also made similar points that I made here. Apparently the chat on Twitch was vitriolic and nasty until the Moderators closed it to registered members only. I wasn't able to see what it was about as I can't watch streams, but I can imagine.

Some of my favourite games of all time, the Gothic series, Two Worlds and others, have very average graphics but the best gameplay content I could ask for.

Take Skyrim as one example...it can be loaded up with all the HD textures in the world, and ENB's, but it won't make the game any better content wise, just prettier to look at.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote: Some of my favourite games of all time, the Gothic series, Two Worlds and others, have very average graphics but the best gameplay content I could ask for.

Take Skyrim as one example...it can be loaded up with all the HD textures in the world, and ENB's, but it won't make the game any better content wise, just prettier to look at.
Ah yes Gothic 1 and 2 where great games, and you are correct it is the content of a game...the way it makes you feel when playing the game that either makes or breaks a game. :)
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

See this thing in the video. ;-(( Arachnophobes beware!

I killed it last night with my magic/melee hybrid build character and a NPC summon after about 5 tries. I have yet to do it with my pure melee who has progressed to Drangleic Castle, since by the time I got to this boss I had the other requirement to continue. I did try it a couple of times but got annoyed with the long run to the boss and having to wipe out a ton of enemies just to get there. Also it was my first playthrough so my skills weren't as good as they are now. I might go back and get my revenge as it opens up some good loot for a strength build.

The guy playing here makes it look easy, which it is (sort of) when you know what to watch out for, but it's one of the annoying cheap boss fights where you not only have the boss, but it's minions as well which are often what leads to a quick death rather than the boss itself.

The giant spider can only be damaged by hitting one of it's 2 heads.

Couple of pics. I've been forgetting to take screenshots which I want to keep for myself as well as show some of them here, and it's not easy in a fight...lol

Magenta...my mage/melee hybrid build. She uses Hexes (dark magic) as well as some Miracles like Lightning Spear. She is wearing the Lion Mage Set which has a faster spell casting bonus and the Hexers hood which has an extra spell number bonus.

Dark Magic Giants. I discovered they will not aggro unless you attack first, but I always kill them as they yield a lot of souls. Besides they are evil..lol.

Spiders. "YUK! There are about six of them that ambush you when opening a chest, but I'd already done that part and they now just rush you when entering the area. Flame Swathe works wonders. Even one does a lot of damage and since my mage is "squishy" I have to keep a distance. On their own they are OK with a melee weapon.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Oh my, how crazy must that Duke be...sorry have been to call a super giant two headed spider..."Dear Fryja" :shock:

LoL with the Dark Magic Giants...it's their own fault then for having a lot of souls. :grin:
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:Oh my, how crazy must that Duke be...sorry have been to call a super giant two headed spider..."Dear Fryja" :shock:
The Duke is undead and "hollow", meaning he is actually crazy and past regaining his sanity so he can't live normally again. I had to put him down as well..lol. I don't know the lore behind them though, but the spider is one of the Great Souls you have to acquire to complete the game. Although if you have already collected the other three you can bypass it if other requirements are filled. Spiders, especially that size, need to die though. A big can of bug spray would have been nice. :grin:

LoL with the Dark Magic Giants...it's their own fault then for having a lot of souls. :grin:
:) Souls are the economy and business is business...lol, so anything, except for friendly NPC's, must die....more than once. :cheese:
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:A big can of bug spray would have been nice. :grin:
There is never one around when you need one is it. :grin:
Maigrets wrote: :) Souls are the economy and business is business...lol, so anything, except for friendly NPC's, must die....more than once. :cheese:
There is that evil streak again...but then again i am the same in games. :grin:
Maigrets
Admin

Non Souls players probably won't get this, or maybe they will, but this made me laugh so much I had tears running down my face. :)

I wish I'd thought of this, it's genius. NPC enemies don't attack invaders (players) except under a certain condition, so they don't notice the "NPC" standing there. There's also a spell in the game that let's you disguise yourself as clutter, usually barrels to fool other players.
Hiding in Plain Sight.

Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Lmao that is really clever...and very funny. :grin:

Although the last one either did not fall for it...or more precise he/she simply kills NPC's just for fun or to rule out the condition you mentioned. :grin:
Maigrets
Admin

A few shots of my melee character reaching possibly the last 3rd of the game. Still have a long way to go though.
This looks ominous...and it was. It came alive and killed me, however it was a scripted deathand a warning of what was to come. EDIT: Wasn't a scripted death after all. I was too close and was caught in it's AOE as it exploded into pieces.

Looks like a zoo with lots of strong enemies in cages. They can be killed with arrows but there's something behind them that breaks the cages and means.......RUN!

Reaching the heights. Spectacular view.

The Dragon Aerie. Only just arrived here but there's a massive dragon (and I mean big) a bit later, after I get through his smaller "friends" and other assorted BIG enemies. This place looks fantastic with hanging bridges and caves and plateaus with dragons guarding their treasures.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

First a big bony creature, then running away from the "Beastmaster" ( For lack of not knowing what it really is. ) that is always fun in a adventurers life. :)

The last two look great, and the fights in the last one must have been so much fun for you....NOT. :grin:
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:First a big bony creature, then running away from the "Beastmaster" ( For lack of not knowing what it really is. ) that is always fun in a adventurers life. :)
LOL, I've since discovered that the dragon skeleton wasn't scripted. I was just too close and wasn't really expecting it to animate, but should have expected it. If I was just a bit further back behind the doorway it would have missed me.

Yeah, behind that giant Ogre in the cage is a wall that another Ogre smashes through and releases the other beasts. Facing one of those things, especially in melee is hard, let alone two and his friends, and despite their size, they are relatively fast. Which is why I carry LOTS of poison arrows. I'm not above kiting something a dozen times my size if I can.
The last two look great, and the fights in the last one must have been so much fun for you....NOT. :grin:
The Dragon Aerie is the most spectacular area in the game IMO. When you come up the path from the previous area and see dozens of dragons flying around the castle...it's just amazing. Thankfully, those are not aggressive.

I love this game so much. I've played every night since it was released (April 25th) and have three characters with different builds, which is why I haven't actually finished the game with any of them yet. Plus, there's so much to do, and the time just passes before you know it.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:LOL, I've since discovered that the dragon skeleton wasn't scripted. I was just too close and wasn't really expecting it to animate, but should have expected it. If I was just a bit further back behind the doorway it would have missed me.
LoL those unexpected things are always one of the better thrills in a game, keeps you awake and alert afterwards. :)
Maigrets wrote:Yeah, behind that giant Ogre in the cage is a wall that another Ogre smashes through and releases the other beasts. Facing one of those things, especially in melee is hard, let alone two and his friends, and despite their size, they are relatively fast. Which is why I carry LOTS of poison arrows. I'm not above kiting something a dozen times my size if I can.
If kitting something keeps a character alive longer, then neither am i. :)
Maigrets wrote:The Dragon Aerie is the most spectacular area in the game IMO. When you come up the path from the previous area and see dozens of dragons flying around the castle...it's just amazing. Thankfully, those are not aggressive.

That is good indeed, because despite the fact that Dark Souls is known to be a very challenging game, even then it would have been practically impossible to win in that area.
Maigrets wrote:I love this game so much. I've played every night since it was released (April 25th) and have three characters with different builds, which is why I haven't actually finished the game with any of them yet. Plus, there's so much to do, and the time just passes before you know it.
That is great that you have so much fun with the game. :) I have the same thing with D3 Reaper of Souls, and path of Exile might also enter in the "really like" zone. But i only started that game 2 days ago with a Ranger build i found...but it is quit overwhelming to learn the game so i started a Easy Marauder build yesterday. ( PoE passive skills tree is absolutely massive. )
Maigrets
Admin

That is great that you have so much fun with the game. :) I have the same thing with D3 Reaper of Souls, and path of Exile might also enter in the "really like" zone. But i only started that game 2 days ago with a Ranger build i found...but it is quit overwhelming to learn the game so i started a Easy Marauder build yesterday. ( PoE passive skills tree is absolutely massive. )
I really like games that have a steep learning curve. It adds to the challenge and for most games of the type, a lot of replay value, especially when there are different classes and styles or you have the option to create your own. Sometimes even years later you can go back to one of these games and have a different experience.

That is of course if the game is good and not just a lot of stats and skill trees to make up for it. Unfortunately, many people these days don't like to have to think and plan and just want to breeze through a game, but again, fortunately this time, there are still some developers who cater to gamers like us.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I really like games that have a steep learning curve. It adds to the challenge and for most games of the type, a lot of replay value, especially when there are different classes and styles or you have the option to create your own. Sometimes even years later you can go back to one of these games and have a different experience.

That is of course if the game is good and not just a lot of stats and skill trees to make up for it. Unfortunately, many people these days don't like to have to think and plan and just want to breeze through a game, but again, fortunately this time, there are still some developers who cater to gamers like us.
Agreed, i am glad that there are still developers like that as well, taking the time and effort to make a great challenging game and listening to players with ideas and such.
Maigrets
Admin

Here is the BIG dragon I mentioned. He's just sitting there chilling, watching me approach and waiting to see what I'll do.

After talking to him, I decided not to try and kill him. One..because he would beat me to a pulp, or more accurately, burn me to an unrecognizable crisp, and so many other players have trouble doing it, lol and two...because he's so majestic I think he deserves to live. There's a reason to try as he drops an item that helps with one of the main bosses, but there's also another way to get around it.

I was mildly surprised I didn't die once getting to him and that was HARD.
The Ancient Dragon
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:Here is the BIG dragon I mentioned. He's just sitting there chilling, watching me approach and waiting to see what I'll do.
LoL he literally looks like he is thinking...."Oh look another puny human trying to make a name for herself...YAWN!?" :grin:

But that also makes me think that you made the right decision not to attack it.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:
Maigrets wrote:Here is the BIG dragon I mentioned. He's just sitting there chilling, watching me approach and waiting to see what I'll do.
LoL he literally looks like he is thinking...."Oh look another puny human trying to make a name for herself...YAWN!?" :grin:

But that also makes me think that you made the right decision not to attack it.
Yes, I've seen a few videos where the player just attacks him and very quickly doesn't live to regret it. He's a one shot kill if you are caught unawares and a very, very long fight (has a huge HP pool) and the people I've seen who were successfully fight him naked (undies...lol) for maximum mobility. He's optional so I'm not even going to try. :hang:

Dark Souls 2 is getting DLC at the end of next month, 22 July and the following 2 packs in August and September. (Corrected this as I got the month wrong) The first part of three packs with over 7-8 hours play each, depending on if you like to explore and find all the secrets like I do. Each pack is only $9.99 I can't wait.. lol
This is my DEX character Domino, even though you can't see her face and she has reached and passed the same area with the dragons. It gets even harder now.
Domino fights with katanas and spears, which are just fantastic in this game. I love the spears and pikes and lances.

And this is my latest, Scar, who is a Cleric. Faith/strength build and he carries a big heavy hitting axe although this one is different to what I'm using now. It looks blunt in the pic, but it does actually have a sharp edge, it's the angle of the shot. Faith is for Miracles which are spells involving lightning, force bolts, healing, and other useful spells. Different altogether than the Sorcery and Hex spells.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

The one with Domino looks really great with Domino near the arch and the Dragons in the Sunset Sky. :woot:

And as for Scar, he looks pretty cool with those Dreadlocks. :) And that is one big freaking axe he carries!? :shock:

That price for the DLC's, man that is cheap?
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:The one with Domino looks really great with Domino near the arch and the Dragons in the Sunset Sky. :woot:

And as for Scar, he looks pretty cool with those Dreadlocks. :) And that is one big freaking axe he carries!? :shock:

That price for the DLC's, man that is cheap?
Thanks. :) LOL, if you think that axe is big...that's only a Great Axe. You should see the Ultra weapons. They hit hard of course but are too slow for my liking and if you miss you leave yourself wide open for retaliation.