Dark Souls 2

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Maigrets wrote:Thanks. :) LOL, if you think that axe is big...that's only a Great Axe. You should see the Ultra weapons.

Oh oh. :grin:
Maigrets wrote:They hit hard of course but are too slow for my liking and if you miss you leave yourself wide open for retaliation.
I hat a feeling that would be the case, and it is a good thing they are otherwise a lot more would be running around with those Ultra weapons.
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

Gals and guys...I am glad you're having fun with your respective game (I myself will get Dark Soul II when it's on sale) but please check the latest news on the Witcher 3. The Team at CD Project Red is going to redifine the RPG genre, :D. The gameplay videos you can find on the net are more than promissing :happy: :happy: :happy: . I can't wait. I'll post a link later so you can check that out
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

MasterAub wrote:Gals and guys...I am glad you're having fun with your respective game (I myself will get Dark Soul II when it's on sale) but please check the latest news on the Witcher 3. The Team at CD Project Red is going to redifine the RPG genre, :D. The gameplay videos you can find on the net are more than promissing :happy: :happy: :happy: . I can't wait. I'll post a link later so you can check that out
Hi MasterAub,

Yes, I've seen some of the Witcher 3 news and it looks fantastic to say the least. Trouble is I'll need a complete PC upgrade to be able to play it and that's not happening unless I win the Lottery. :-(

Dark Souls 2 and it's upcoming DLC's will keep me going for quite awhile though.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote: Yes, I've seen some of the Witcher 3 news and it looks fantastic to say the least. Trouble is I'll need a complete PC upgrade to be able to play it and that's not happening unless I win the Lottery. :-(
The same here.
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

I finally got one of my characters to the end game...lol. I spend a lot of time just getting other characters to a certain point and never actually getting them to the end.

This is my mage Magenta, and now I'm going to prepare her for New Game + which is going to be an experience in itself since it adds more enemies, new loot, and lots of other surprises.

When I say prepare, I mean to make sure I have plenty of supplies, healing and other consumables, and gear upgrades among other things that can't otherwise be collected early on. All inventory items are carried over, except for keys and special items and a very important ring.
New outfit. The hat adds extra spell slot and the rest has magic resistance.
The following shots are from the end game cinematic which is why the have the heavier black bars. Magenta is wearing the Black Robe Set given to her by Straid after trading 4 Boss Souls with him. You can also kill him for it, but killing NPC's adds sin which will bite you hard later, especially in New Game + because you'll be hunted down (Covenant), and I don't like doing it anyway.
Walk to the Throne of Want.

I am now royalty, although it's a dubious victory. I get to contemplate the future, shut away, without the power to actually do anything.....or maybe not.

The Throne claims me.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

With the Black robe set she looks very sinister.
MasterAub
The Second

the decorum is "grandiose"
Maigrets
Admin

MasterAub wrote:the decorum is "grandiose"
:)

I wish I could get more action shots but it's really hard to do as there's no pausing action even in inventory or other menus, and no such thing as reloading a save.
Domino begins again in New Game +. As mentioned I would have liked to get some shots of the new enemies at this location, but they swarmed me and I had to fight or die..lol. Anyway, they were Falconers with falcons that they send after you to peck and claw you while they attack with swords. Looks excellent though as the birds fly at you, I must say.

Random shot of Scar at the starting area after revisiting certain NPC's just before I move him to NG+.

Inside the memory of a long dead ancient dragon.

The Channeler's Trident which has a secondary function that buffs the player while performing a Channeler's Dance. It's a spear weapon which is what this character mainly uses, but I need to upgrade it. I had only just got it via trading.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

As if adventuring is not dangerous enough, now there is dancing to. ( Then again it could distract the enemies. :) )
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:As if adventuring is not dangerous enough, now there is dancing to. ( Then again it could distract the enemies. :) )
lol Yes, it's a weapon from the previous game where Channelers (enemy mages) would buff the other enemies so you had to kill the mage as quickly as possible or deal with "super" mobs.

New Game+ is quite the challenge and I get invaded by other players with great regularity, which is OK in itself, even if I lose most times...lol. The real problem comes in now where there are cheaters with infinite health and edited characters that spoil it for everyone else. Thankfully, it's not too often in my case so far, but hopefully the developers are going to try and update the anti-cheat function, but that would be hard too so I've read as the cheat engines run scripts along side the main data files and are hard to detect.

When the game was first released on PC, Steam had it's VAC anti-cheat system in place but for some reason they disabled it. And it's not only the PC version as the console players are also dealing with it. They can be reported, if you manage to get the name, but I don't think that's doing anything either. There's a big patch coming later in the month before the DLC so MAYBE something will be done. We can only hope as the forums are full of complaints.

I had one cheating invader last night who I stun locked twice and also critical hit which should have at least taken most of his health, but didn't even do anything, so I just jumped off a cliff and killed myself. He would have still got his Covenant reward, but not the satisfaction of the actual kill.

I don't get what these low life cheats get out of ganking other players who have no chance against them because they can't be hurt. I pity them in a way since they seem to have to cheat to win. They must be sad people in real life to get a kick out of it.
:angry:
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

I have two characters near the end of NG+ 1 and I have only been invaded 4 times all in the past month. o.O
Maigrets
Admin

Gork712 wrote:I have two characters near the end of NG+ 1 and I have only been invaded 4 times all in the past month. o.O
Yeah, I have four characters with different builds and only one in NG+ so far. The others are ready to go, but I'm testing the waters with one so far.

All through NG with all characters I think I was invaded a total of five times. As soon as I started NG+ I'm being invaded everywhere every time the timer is up, even in the very first area of the Forest of Giants..lol.. I don't mind it even if I lose, it's part of the game and challenge, except when cheats invade.

I have online matchmaking (or whatever it's called) in the Game Options set to Restricted, which I think must be the default because I never changed it, which means I only get matched with people from my region...which seems to be a hell of a lot, lol

I keep forgetting to use Chameleon or the Silver Charms for a laugh and just to see if it works. I love this game. :-)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:All through NG with all characters I think I was invaded a total of five times. As soon as I started NG+ I'm being invaded everywhere every time the timer is up, even in the very first area of the Forest of Giants..lol.. I don't mind it even if I lose, it's part of the game and challenge, except when cheats invade.
The cheating is one of the reasons that i stayed clear from MMO games for a very...very long time. ( I will have to wait and see hoe that goes with the two i currently play. ) But yeah getting invaded or challenged is part of games like the ones we play.
Maigrets wrote:I have online matchmaking (or whatever it's called) in the Game Options set to Restricted, which I think must be the default because I never changed it, which means I only get matched with people from my region...which seems to be a hell of a lot, lol

LoL that is the price we pay for not turning it into a ingame world war. :grin:
Maigrets wrote:I keep forgetting to use Chameleon or the Silver Charms for a laugh and just to see if it works. I love this game. :-)
In one of the MMO's i play now i also quit often forget to cast self buffs and to debuff enemies, especially in the middle of a big fight. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:
The cheating is one of the reasons that i stayed clear from MMO games for a very...very long time. ( I will have to wait and see hoe that goes with the two i currently play. ) But yeah getting invaded or challenged is part of games like the ones we play.
Yes. Hopefully Steam will turn on VAC again or something else is done if possible. Otherwise we just have to live with it and maybe the cheats will get their thrills and move on to another game. The thing with VAC is people who use mods for the game could potentially get banned if it detects files are being altered, but for graphic mods it seems OK. I only use a SweetFX preset so it doesn't bother me.
LoL that is the price we pay for not turning it into a ingame world war. :grin:
Also the thing about unrestricting matchmaking can add to lag issues. Not lag exactly but when one person is in Russia for example and another in the US and one may have slower internet it can cause issues like phantom hits and rubber banding. I guess you know what I mean..lol
In one of the MMO's i play now i also quit often forget to cast self buffs and to debuff enemies, especially in the middle of a big fight. :)
I use buffs when I remember too and sometimes it's all that saves you, especially when fighting other mages who spam spells. One particular area is a living hell in that regard if you don't have ranged weapons, especially the first time through when you don't know what to expect. That's why I always carry a bow and lots of poison arrows, at least with melee characters. lol

That area (Shrine of Amana) is beautiful and very atmospheric, but there's lots of deep water that hinders movement, beasties that hide in the water and mages that spam homing spells. Not to mention drops to death in the water which are hard to see. A torch helps there, however the light attracts the underwater enemies so it's a real death trap in every way.

Chameleon is a spell that turns you into a random item like a crate, a vase or other things that are part of the environment so you can hide in plain sight, or in a dark corner. People (in PvP) usually don't take much notice of an extra crate laying around as long as you don't move or target them, or are in a place where the object wouldn't appear normally. Silver Talismans are more for non mages, but everyone can use them though.
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

I think VAC was disable because it was banning people using things like enbs, sweetfx and gedosato, i'd heard they were trying to modify it so that it doesn't do that.
MasterAub
The Second

I am completely lost "VAC, debuff, NG+, being invaded"...I don't understand a single word of what your writing lol.

On an other note find below a gampeplay video of Dragon Age Inquisition...Well I had lost Faith in the Franchise but this one looks very very promissing.
I thought you might be interesting. Enjoy the video!
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/making-of/0004 ... .htm#infos
Maigrets
Admin

MasterAub wrote:I am completely lost "VAC, debuff, NG+, being invaded"...I don't understand a single word of what your writing lol.

On an other note find below a gampeplay video of Dragon Age Inquisition...Well I had lost Faith in the Franchise but this one looks very very promissing.
I thought you might be interesting. Enjoy the video!
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/making-of/0004 ... .htm#infos
I watched the video and it does look very promising indeed. I never played the other Dragon Age games because I really hate turn based combat, but this looks more real time. I did try the first game, but it didn't inspire me at all although it supposedly has a good story. I couldn't get into the combat and some of the other mechanics.
It looks like they have changed their focus with Inquisition and created an open world which is more appealing to me.

I must say that just on the video I'm not a fan of the in game sounds, like spell casting and combat etc, but that may just be the video itself.

:grin: VAC is Steam's own anti-cheat function. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -Radz-6869

Buffing means casting spells or using items to enhance combat or add protection against magic for example, and debuff is doing the opposite to enemies with items that degrade their gear, holy water and other stuff.

Invasions are a part of online play where a player can enter another player's game world and hunt them down and try to kill them. You need to be in a Covenant (factions) to do this as well as have the appropriate items which can be found as drops from mobs or purchased from the Covenant leader.

There are other Covenants though that are mainly for co-op and also one that summons the member to help another player who is being invaded. The latter are the Blue Sentinels who also hunt down sinners, (people who invade others and kill NPC's) but this mainly happens in New game Plus.

On the other hand you have co-op where you can summon another player into your game world to help with a boss, to get through a hard area on the way to a boss, or just for fun playing together. People can summon you to their world also for the same reasons.

I'm not really into the PvP part of the game, mainly because I suck at it, although I have won some interesting fights against invaders. I usually lose against magic spammers though when they have high level Hexes or Homing Crystal Soul mass etc.

New Game is the main game first time through on a character. Then you have the choice when killing the final boss of continuing on to New Game Plus which is harder, adds new enemies, new items, and lots of other cool things. It's not automatic though as in the first game. You can choose to move on at a certain point or stay in NG if you have other things to finish. Then after NG+ you have +++'s up to 7, I believe, which would be really, really hard. Enemies, including bosses are more aggressive and have more ways to kill you. :hang:

@Gork712

I was thinking I might keep my other characters in NG at least until I see what the DLC is about. I don't want to have to start over when I already have characters ready to go. I believe it starts in the Rotten's room somewhere. Just think - more of that lovely poison. I'm going to buy out Gavlan's stock of Poison Moss...lol
Maigrets
Admin

Here's a list of the patch notes for anyone interested. The MASSIVE Patch comes out July 18, a few days before the DLC and rebalances a lot of things, MANY of which I'm very happy to see. Boss weapons are getting buffed which is nice since most of them are inferior to everything else even when fully upgraded.

Too big to list even in a spoiler so the Official notes are on this page.
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Regulation+1.08

It's nice to see the DS2 community seems to approve of the changes, except for the ones who like to use the PvP exploits that are being fixed. Maybe I will try out a PvP character now.
MasterAub
The Second

Thanks Maigrets for taking the time to explain to me all those acronyms and words. I really appreciate. I too never finished Dragon Age I, mainly because I got swamped into Oblivion at that time. Like you I rather play open world game and I could not even finish the great Wither 2 because of the same "not open world" problem. The only "closed world" (not sure the term exists) game I played extensively was Neverwinter Night, Oh God I so much like that game...
This Dragon Age looks promising but you're never too prudent...I'll wait until the player reviews come out. On another note I am eager to get my hands on this gem that this Dark Soul 2 seems to be. I'll probably acquire it on thenext Steam Sales.
Guess what, as for now I am back to Oblivion...ahahahahaha...call it obsessed or adict.
Maigrets
Admin

MasterAub wrote:Thanks Maigrets for taking the time to explain to me all those acronyms and words. I really appreciate. I too never finished Dragon Age I, mainly because I got swamped into Oblivion at that time. Like you I rather play open world game and I could not even finish the great Wither 2 because of the same "not open world" problem. The only "closed world" (not sure the term exists) game I played extensively was Neverwinter Night, Oh God I so much like that game...
This Dragon Age looks promising but you're never too prudent...I'll wait until the player reviews come out. On another note I am eager to get my hands on this gem that this Dark Soul 2 seems to be. I'll probably acquire it on thenext Steam Sales.
Guess what, as for now I am back to Oblivion...ahahahahaha...call it obsessed or adict.
You are very welcome. :) If you do get the game and play "blind", ie without wanting to know anything beforehand, even though this thread has spoilers, just ask if you want to know anything. Without doing some research this type of game can be a bit hard to work out for anyone never playing a Souls game before, as far as some game mechanics and story goes. The story and Lore is very rich but it's not told in the same way as say Skyrim or Oblivion.

If you wanted to know about the Lore of the Souls games, these guys are the best.
VaatiVidya
http://www.youtube.com/user/VaatiVidya
And EpicNameBro
http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicNameBro

The main thing to remember is EXPLORE, EXPLORE, EXPLORE every dark corner and under every bush. Take your time and don't rush and you'll find it very rewarding.

I checked my Steam profile yesterday because I got a friend request and saw that my total playing time for Dark Souls 2 so far is over 350 hours lol That's over four characters though and it's a very long game if you take the time to experience it properly.

It's funny you say you never finished Witcher 2 or the first one either for that matter, which is blasphemy to some...lol.. I didn't get very far either for the same reasons and I think at the time there was something else I became more interested in. It's interesting and a little ironic that the Witcher series and Dragon Age are both going to open world and real time combat though. There's obviously more demand for these type of games so they have to adapt and make changes.