Path of Exile

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

A short while ago i found out about a Free to play game called "Path of Exile" or as it is called now a days..."Path of Exile Sacrifice of the Vaal" through the Diablo 3 forums. I looked into it, read about and such and then decided to give it a try. And the game has such a great atmosphere when playing. It is pretty amazing that the company behind the game offers the game for free. The only things you would have to pay for if you want it...are cosmetic packs. ( And only when you decide you want one of those packs....other wise it is completely free. :) ) So there is no unfairness between players that way.

If you wish to know more and/or wish to try it out perhaps you can find both here...

http://www.pathofexile.com/

Here is a Trailer of Path of Exile Sacrifice of the Vaal: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal

And a few screenshots of my currently level 16 Marauder.

Should any one decide to give it a try...really...really read up on it, you will need to. Learning the game or even more so the Passive Skill tree and all of its options is very daunting. This is the build i am currently using with the Marauder i have, it gives a good chance to learn abou the game and all.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73072
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

One thing I notice at first is it looks very empty besides your character and I presume an NPC in the last shot. Or have you already cleared out the enemies?
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Yeah i hat already cleared out The prison and the Ship Graveyard, and hat used the way point to teleport to town and sell the loot i hat picked up. Besides in the area of the first two screenshots you will not find any enemies. In the game those prisoners who where there in the past where brutally killed by the psycho prison warden...Brutus. And guess who you will have to face when you enter the Warden's Chambers. :) ( It is best to face him with a character who is level 9 and up. )

In this game you never know how many enemies you find. When you first enter an area it can happen that you first see no enemies or just one or two...then you go around a corner and suddenly get faced by a group of 15 or more...and sometimes they have an aura that gives them something extra. ( Like critical hit chance or a Shock pulse wave etcetera. ) Some area bosses can be quit challenging if you are not careful. Also it looks to me that it can also differ per area how many enemies you find. ( But i could be wrong in that since this is just my first time playing the game. ) There where many more enemies in the prison area for instance ( The normal prison area, not the warden area. ) then in the Mud Flats area in my opinion.
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

I like the idea of not knowing what you will face at any given time, even in areas you previously cleared. It keeps you on your toes...lol.

Does this game respawn enemies in places you've cleared or don't you need to revisit them?

Yeah...bosses..lol. I must admit I've always had a hatred for games that include bosses that block you from progressing so you have to beat it one way or another, especially in story driven games where I would prefer some kind of difficult puzzle to solve. This is mainly because I was crap at defeating them and also because more often than not some games have bosses that are cheap and can unfairly one hit kill you, change forms several times, or are just pointlessly hard just for the sake of it. If a game makes me try 15 times to beat a boss that's stupidly unfair and doesn't really have a strategy, I can't be bothered with it

However, after playing Dark Souls 1&2 my ideas have changed somewhat, at least for those games. They are hard of course, but strategy and skill usually wins the day and if not I can always summon help, albeit another player or an NPC. Also the Resident Evil and Silent Hill and similar game bosses were OK because they were at least fair. It also comes down to the fact that I sometimes panic when it's boss time.. lol and my concentration goes to hell and then one mistake is GAME OVER or YOU DIED. My reflexes aren't what they used to be either which annoys me, but that's not the game's fault.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I like the idea of not knowing what you will face at any given time, even in areas you previously cleared. It keeps you on your toes...lol.
Indeed it does. :)
Maigrets wrote:Does this game respawn enemies in places you've cleared or don't you need to revisit them?
Well when you have cleared an area...leave the area and then immediately take the same entrance back then the area is still cleared. BUT...there are two ways to get an area repopulated again. The first one is to restart the game, but that kind of makes no sense. The second one is the more common way, and that is if you have cleared an area and you want to go through it again to help you level a character some more...you leave an area...turn around towards the entrance and then press and hold ctrl and then left click on the entrance. That will bring up a menu that will allow an area to be repopulated right away. :)
Maigrets wrote:Yeah...bosses..lol. I must admit I've always had a hatred for games that include bosses that block you from progressing so you have to beat it one way or another, especially in story driven games where I would prefer some kind of difficult puzzle to solve. This is mainly because I was crap at defeating them and also because more often than not some games have bosses that are cheap and can unfairly one hit kill you, change forms several times, or are just pointlessly hard just for the sake of it. If a game makes me try 15 times to beat a boss that's stupidly unfair and doesn't really have a strategy, I can't be bothered with it
The area bosses i have met so far where at times quit challenging, but not unfair. On one of the very first quests you are asked to find a Medicine chest. It is in the possession of an area boss that uses an Ice wave spell that is quit dangerous. But by using hit and run tactics i was able to defeat that boss. ( So they are not unbeatable, just not easy until you know how. )
Maigrets wrote:However, after playing Dark Souls 1&2 my ideas have changed somewhat, at least for those games. They are hard of course, but strategy and skill usually wins the day and if not I can always summon help, albeit another player or an NPC. Also the Resident Evil and Silent Hill and similar game bosses were OK because they were at least fair. It also comes down to the fact that I sometimes panic when it's boss time.. lol and my concentration goes to hell and then one mistake is GAME OVER or YOU DIED. My reflexes aren't what they used to be either which annoys me, but that's not the game's fault.
Well in the Standard mode you should do well with the background of D1+2, but because the game has a very large learning curve when it comes to the Passive Skill tree and because you get no clues as to where to start it can at first be daunting perhaps. As for the reflexes...yeah that is the curse every human faces when living. :)

But if any one ever decides to give Path of Exile a try and is stuck or even if you want to know how to start at the beginning then the "Path of Exile Survival guides" from ZiggyD can help out. :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... edCJi3mQTE
Maigrets
Admin

Well in the Standard mode you should do well with the background of D1+2, but because the game has a very large learning curve when it comes to the Passive Skill tree and because you get no clues as to where to start it can at first be daunting perhaps. As for the reflexes...yeah that is the curse every human faces when living. :)
I also like games that make you think and don't lead you by the hand, but...see below..
But if any one ever decides to give Path of Exile a try and is stuck or even if you want to know how to start at the beginning then the "Path of Exile Survival guides" from ZiggyD can help out. :)
I'm not fond of Isometric style games, so I doubt I would try it to be honest, but it is free so who knows..maybe one day. It's like Minecraft, just as an example, even though it's a totally different style to Diablo and Path of Exile. It has a huge following but I can't imagine myself playing it. It's too cartoony...I prefer realism, or as much as possible and being right in the face of the enemies as though I were really there...as scary as that is at times.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote: I'm not fond of Isometric style games, so I doubt I would try it to be honest, but it is free so who knows..maybe one day. It's like Minecraft, just as an example, even though it's a totally different style to Diablo and Path of Exile. It has a huge following but I can't imagine myself playing it. It's too cartoony...I prefer realism, or as much as possible and being right in the face of the enemies as though I were really there...as scary as that is at times.
Well that is fair. :)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

These are of my Shadow player Firmai. ( A shadow is a form of Assassin. ) The screenies are a bit old, because i have not played PoE for about a week now, but i wanted to place them none the less. :)
A dungeon and no enemies here?

And there they are. :) ( Do not play PoE if you really dislike Spiders. :grin: )

Skeletons...well at least they where not in the closet. :)

A waypoint, finally. ( A teleport system. )

*Sigh*

Darn...they really did not want me to go through those doorways.

Oh crap something happened...and some how i think i will be blamed?

From what i was able to find out, a very dangerous enemy is waiting for me some where in that Pyramid.
Maigrets
Admin

A dungeon and no enemies here?
Always a very worrying sign. :think: Often more scary than walking into an angry horde.
And there they are. :) ( Do not play PoE if you really dislike Spiders. :grin: )
Spiders...every game has to have them it seems..lol I'm not fond of them in RL actually, but as long as they stay out of my personal space and view, they get to live a bit longer. In games...NOT SO MUCH.. :twisted:
Skeletons...well at least they where not in the closet. :)
Very considerate, I must say. :) I worry a bit when I know skellies are coming up. Some games have them very hard and some quite easy. In Dark Souls 2 they have weapons that cause bleeding and can kill very quickly.

A lot of colour and I daresay, a player death (?) in those screenshots. :cheese:
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote: Always a very worrying sign. :think: Often more scary than walking into an angry horde.
Agreed, in such moments you think and expect to hear and see enemies where they are not.
Maigrets wrote:Spiders...every game has to have them it seems..lol I'm not fond of them in RL actually, but as long as they stay out of my personal space and view, they get to live a bit longer. In games...NOT SO MUCH.. :twisted:
My thoughts as well. :)
Maigrets wrote:Very considerate, I must say. :) I worry a bit when I know skellies are coming up. Some games have them very hard and some quite easy.

PoE has both versions. The normal white Skeletons are easy, but in PoE when they glow blue or Yellow then you should start to be careful.
Maigrets wrote:In Dark Souls 2 they have weapons that cause bleeding and can kill very quickly.
This happens in PoE as well. When you get hit by a bleeding effect in PoE it is best to not move from the spot if possible...otherwise you have quit a big chance you kill your char yourself. PoE has many different aura's that both your character and the enemies can and will use. At those moments it is always best to attack from a far if you can in PoE ( And i am certain in DS2 as well. ), or otherwise lure them away from who or whatever gives them the aura they use at that moment. ( If you can that is. )
Maigrets wrote:A lot of colour and I daresay, a player death (?) in those screenshots. :cheese:
No comment. Image
Maigrets
Admin

This happens in PoE as well. When you get hit by a bleeding effect in PoE it is best to not move from the spot if possible...otherwise you have quit a big chance you kill your char yourself. PoE has many different aura's that both your character and the enemies can and will use. At those moments it is always best to attack from a far if you can in PoE ( And i am certain in DS2 as well. ), or otherwise lure them away from who or whatever gives them the aura they use at that moment. ( If you can that is. )
The bleed effect in this case is from their weapons, ie scimitars or other slash weapons, ans sometimes bows with lacerating arrows, but not spells.
It's Necromancers in DS2 that revive the skeletons and getting to them sometimes isn't easy. You can knock the skeletons down, but you have to be very quick to find and kill the necromancer before he revives them otherwise you get surrounded...and dead...lol.
No comment.
Now the occasional death never hurt anyone. :shock: It can be a learning experience. :D
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:The bleed effect in this case is from their weapons, ie scimitars or other slash weapons, ans sometimes bows with lacerating arrows, but not spells.
It's Necromancers in DS2 that revive the skeletons and getting to them sometimes isn't easy. You can knock the skeletons down, but you have to be very quick to find and kill the necromancer before he revives them otherwise you get surrounded...and dead...lol.
LoL the Necromancers in PoE do this as well so i always target them first...if i can see them. Sometimes they are in a adjacent room, and as such it takes a few raised Skeletons to realize their is a Necromancer near. :grin:
Maigrets wrote:Now the occasional death never hurt anyone. :shock: It can be a learning experience. :D
That is so true. :)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Okay i have been playing PoE again the past two weeks or so with my Shadow character Firmai. Reason is that on the 20th this month Grinding Gear Games brought out the new expansion pack "The Forsaken Masters.

The Forsaken Masters Trailer. ( Although it should be called a teaser in my opinion. :) )

http://youtu.be/-W_hRKE_Xtg

There are a lot of changes, so much i believe that it is almost a completely new game.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

A few new screenshots from my Shadow Character Firmai. ( Mind you that he is just lvl 36, so nothing compared to the higher level chars of other people. )

These screenshots are all taken in Act 3 of PoE.
Firmai's Offensive Stats at the moment.

Firmai's Defensive Stats at the moment.

Current active skill 1. ( used when needed skill. )

Current active skill 2. ( used when needed skill. )

Current active skill 3. ( used when needed skill. )

Current active skill 4. ( used when needed skill. )

Current active skill 5. ( used when needed skill. )

Current active skill 6. ( used when needed skill. )

Current active skill 6. ( This is an Aura that stays active after having cast it, and it increases the damage of many skills better and better the higher it gets. )

Take for instance Bear Trap, in one of the above pictures you can see the damage of Bear Trap without the Hatred Aura. On the picture below you can see how much the Aura Hatred already raises the damage for Bear Trap at the moment. :)
Maigrets
Admin

I quite like how the HUD in this game is compacted to the left, or at least the main part of it. Are the other people players or NPC's? I see Loremaster and Armourmaster in the names at the bottom picture and are Vendors or Trainers, I guess?
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I quite like how the HUD in this game is compacted to the left, or at least the main part of it. Are the other people players or NPC's? I see Loremaster and Armourmaster in the names at the bottom picture and are Vendors or Trainers, I guess?
The HUD is really nice indeed i agree. All but one of the people in those screenshots are other players, the only NPC you can see ( Although not completely. ) is the person in the middle left of the pictures. Actually the very first quest in Act 3 is to rescue her and her loved one, after you finish the quest she becomes a vendor.

As for the Armour and Lore Masters ( Or any of the Forsaken Masters for that matter. )...well that all depends how you look at it. When they are level one you have a chance to meet them when your out questing in Wraeclast, and when you find them and talk to them they request your help with something. At a certain level ( 2 or maybe 3 ) they also become Vendors who will buy everything from you, while also offering items that can contain stats that you can only get from them. Around that time they also start giving you a chance to do a daily quest for them, that is beside the World quest they can give you. At level 3 they also start to sell some Skill gems. So the combination of the quests and the Skill gems they can sell, could be seen as them training you as well. ( It is in a some what broad sense but still. :) )

They are also the NPC's that give you the opportunity the get a Hide out, and they also sell the items with which you can build your Hide out. They two Masters you see in the last picture offered a specific item with which i can give certain enchantments to a certain item.

Like on this shield, the light blue stat at the bottom is what i chose, and i got 44% out of 50%. :)

There is still a lot i need to learn when it comes to the Forsaken Masters, and crafting...and...a few other things in game. :)

EDIT: Here is a Wiki page about the Masters, i do not know whether it is complete or not. ( Probably not. )

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Masters
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Okay here are several screenshots from my 9 ( By now level 39 ) Ground slamming Marauder Boask. Started with him about two weeks ago and i already surpassed all my other characters. :woot:

I will be facing a character in game who i have been chasing since half way of Act 1...al the way to the point i am now in Act 3. I am coming for you Piety...either tonight or tomorrow. :grin:
Poor guy, i came to late. ( But not really, he can not be saved. )

Well hello there Captain Fairgrave, you have changed since last we met...you know, when i killed your sorry ass. :twisted:

The Gemling Queen Lady Dialla.
Lady Dialla is quit crazy, these where the first words she spoke when i first started talking to her. :grin:

"You are not a cockroach. Strange... inundated with cockroaches, I am. Black ones, four limbs, nasty, spiky things. Are you spiky? If so, my Ribbons will pluck your spines. Malachai liked spines. Liked my spine. Pretty spine, bejeweled and bountiful. Enough to make an empire weep. Do you weep, Not-a-Cockroach? I do. Tears are infinite. Why, on this very day, I have found a new reason to cry."
Blood spatter...that is what you become crazy Templars!

It was not me, i swear!?

Found the entrance to the second level of the Lunaris Temple.

It was short but brutal. :twisted:

Finally i found the Waypoint on the second level of the Lunaris Temple.
Maigrets
Admin

You're quite bloodthirsty...lol Waiting to get Piety since level one..now that is determination and will feel good I expect.

Yes, Lady Dialla sounds a little loopy. :shock: They say cockroaches will inherit the earth so maybe she knows something we don't. lol I don't think I'd want to meet her on a dark night.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:You're quite bloodthirsty...lol Waiting to get Piety since level one..now that is determination and will feel good I expect.
Thanks :) But i think it might be on purpose that i did not get her so far. The first time i met her in the Outdoors she placed a barrier i could not open with out getting a certain item first.

The second time i met her at the beginning of Act 3, and i actually got in a fight with her...but just when i was about to kill her she used a form of teleportation to escape. But the next time is in her own laboratory and since i need a key she has this has to be the last time i guess. :grin:

As for being bloodthirsty...well that is the effect of the two handed Mace i use. Has been a extremely useful Legendary weapon since i reached level 22. :twisted:
Maigrets wrote:Yes, Lady Dialla sounds a little loopy. :shock: They say cockroaches will inherit the earth so maybe she knows something we don't. lol I don't think I'd want to meet her on a dark night.
Well she is one of a very few that does not mean you harm, she is just a nut case. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Well she is one of a very few that does not mean you harm, she is just a nut case. :)
She doesn't mean you no harm...that's a rarity..lol. I like NPC's with a quirky character so she seems interesting.