TERA Rising

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Okay i was playing PoE and Rift lately, but then last weekend i found the MMO TERA Rising by pure coincidence. ( It is free to play now. ) Since i and many others have seen the armour and weapon mods related to TERA on Skyrim Nexus i got curious. I looked at a few videos, read a few things and such and then decided to give it a try. Well i have been playing it every day since. I have to admit that i am impressed so far.
This may or may not be to every ones liking, but i wanted to share/show it none the less.

The game is not new, but here is the Launch Trailer. ( There are most likely more but this is the one i found and like. )

TERA Launch Trailer

A video giving a bit of info on the classes in TERA Rising.

Now depending on how strong anyone's computer is, the game can look amazing in my opinion. I have seen HD videos that made me jeaulous. :) But it can all be altered in the settings menu, to something you like better. Now due to several things ( or more, depending on the person. ) this game will not be to the liking of every one, but it became clear that i do. :)

After a bit of research i first started with the Aman race and with the class Lancer. and i got him up to level 7. It is a good class, but i was curious about another race from the game. They look very comical and they fit into a Anime series/movie without a problem. So for fun i made an Elin Berserker...and she is already level 15. :grin:

Elin Race video

Some more info on the Elin. ( To understand how and why. :grin: ) http://tera.wikia.com/wiki/Elin

Beserker class

It looks really funny to see such a small race wield a big two handed Axe, but the seem to be quit popular for Berserker class and some others so i made a good choice i guess. :)

Here are 2 screenies of my Elin Berserker Silmai. ( Ingame it looks better, even on my computer. )

Here she is sitting on the wolf mount Blitz. Which is only useable for about 7 days or so, and then you need to buy it through real money. :( ( Oh well )
On this site every one can learn more about TERA Rising.

TERA Rising
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Hmm the Elin do seem to have some cons. Yeah the small hitbox from Elins makes it harder to hit them, but it also makes them harder to be targeted by healers. Also it makes them less useful for Tanking a bit in a group. Although that is not their job, ( The Berserker class i mean. ) but they are in the front lines dishing out tremendous damage so they should be able to take some damage. As such being small means that hits from enemies can get through and hit some one else. ( That is if you play in a group. )
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Yeah, all game screenshots look better in game IMO unless they are photoshopped which is something that annoys me no end. I'm not sure why exactly, it just does since a lot of the time the game is unrecognizable in the resulting pictures after being "touched up." I'd rather look at "au naturale" screenshots from a game.

So Tera is one of the MMO's that have Micro-transactions, although I guess they all do these days. It's a pity your wolf is gone after a few days. I remember playing Age of Conan years ago and drooling over the tiger mounts, but I would have had to pay for it.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:So Tera is one of the MMO's that have Micro-transactions, although I guess they all do these days. It's a pity your wolf is gone after a few days. I remember playing Age of Conan years ago and drooling over the tiger mounts, but I would have had to pay for it.
Yeah it uses Micro-Transactions, just like PoE does. And it is indeed a shame that i can not continue to use the wolf with a character. Personally i would like to see it that the things you have to pay for this year, will be in the game for every one to get through in game money. But not every gaming company is willing to do so...oh well.

Also most Free to play games only allow people to have only two characters at the same time. Rift and TERA do that for instance, but not PoE. So when i wanted to try a Warrior for a bit, i hat to give up my Aman Lancer. But that turned out to be good, although Lancers use Heavy armour they are slower then warriors. Warriors are fast...agile and evasive and use light armour. The attack fast and a lot while moving around. I seem to be doing well so far with my Castanic Warrior. :)

And the hitbox thing i mentioned before is indeed a hinder with the Elin. So despite the fact that i can still use the wolf till the end of the week i am seriously thinking of restarting with SIlmai. But then with a Castanic, and perhaps also change the class from Berserker to Slayer. They also use a two handed weapon but it is a two handed sword, so their attacks are a bit faster then a Berserker, and after the Berserker they do the most damage.

The class change came to my mind because the Castanic have a passive that gives them a 1% damage bonus when they attack from the back. A Slayer even gets a movement called Backstab. ( Although that one is unlocked at level 56. :grin: )
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

WOW i just watched this video from a player with a level 60 Slayer...and it shows how this game can be. :happy:

Level 60 Slayer soloing Ebon Tower

Now i can not be sure of some of the music, but i recognize a few music pieces that are not from the game. Still they fit with this video very well.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:WOW i just watched this video from a player with a level 60 Slayer...and it shows how this game can be. :happy:

Level 60 Slayer soloing Ebon Tower

Now i can not be sure of some of the music, but i recognize a few music pieces that are not from the game. Still they fit with this video very well.
Now I know where those silly "female walk" mods came from for Skyrim and probably Oblivion as well. That running animation... :shock:

Anyway, besides that the player is obviously very talented and capable. How high is level 60 in the ranks? Pretty high I assume going by the video and solo boss fight.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Level 60 is the highest rank you can reach in TERA. As for the Solo BOSS fight, it was not just a Boss fight but the creature is also what veterans of TERA call a BAM for short. It stands for Big Ass Monsters, and the first BAM's are said to appear from level 20 and up. But i am not so sure about that, because with my warrior character i hat to fight a really big monster at level 11. I just have to wait and see, if i have to do that more often before level 20. :)
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

I have a silly question I am afraid: is Tera being played solo. I don't see any other player in the video?
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

You can play it solo definitely, but i have been told that at times it is best to join a group. Like certain dungeons are apparently very difficult for solo characters, also certain BAM's are said to be very difficult for solo play. But this is information i see mentioned here and there so i can not be certain yet if that information is true....but i would not be surprised if it is.

It most likely also depends on the type of character some one plays. A warrior is much faster and agile then a Berserker...but a Berserker is the most damaging character in the game as far as i know. If some one plays a Lancer then they have a better survivability for instance. I can only wait and see what is really true from what i read, since both my Warrior and my Slayer are level 15 only so far. :) ( Solo play. )
Maigrets
Admin

Big Ass Monsters...I like it. :) A bit like BFG's...
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:Big Ass Monsters...I like it. :) A bit like BFG's...
Exactly. :grin:
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Damn....i wonder if i was lucky or if the Archer Critical Hits will give me more critical damage like that? I mean...at level 6, heck my level 18 slayer has not reached that amount of critical damage yet!?

A close up from my Castanic Archer Daicael. ( That was around level 8 or 9 i think. )

New lands and finally a mount for Daicael. ( Level 14. )
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

Nice, the art design reminds me a little of Kingdom of Amalur.
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

There are moments where i think the same, but personally i think TERA looks better. :)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

So far the Castanic are my favourite race when it comes to the classes "Warrior - Slayer - Archer". But one thing that still surprises me at times is how self absorbed they can look...especially the males. :twisted:
The Castanic have a look as if they seem to know very well how dangerous they can be. :)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

It took 4 to almost 5 player levels ( About 3 days playing for me. ) to get the necessary items, but yesterday i was finally able to make it. My first Avatar Weapon, it are legendary weapons from the gods, and my Archers bow is linked to the goddess Isren. ( Not much info i know. :) )
It is not yet at full potential, i can enchant it up to a +9 weapon once i have enough items for it.

A bit of a close up of the bow stats, which might be more readable. ( Probably not by much i think. )
For now it is definitely a great weapon, i just have to wait and see how long i can still use it once i have it at +9. Currently i am getting a lot more criticals, so that is great. :twisted: The 3 Orange/Red things at the bottom are crystals and can be taken out of the bow at any time and swapped for different ones or for better ones.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

I have Daicael at Level 23 with new armour and the +9 Avatar bow. :)

There is so much to do in game that at times i just do not know which to do first. Also as of level 20 i could start using Glyphs with 2 of my Archers active skills. So far TERA is great to play, and they have special events as well. Last weekend we got extra XP/Gold and stamina...and now they placed blue chest you can find throughout TERA, and when you whack them you can get extra items. It started yesterday and it will end on Monday, and i am not so sure if they are common or not though. I see players mention that they found a lot of them already, but since yesterday i have found only one...and it got snatched away just when i wanted to hit it with an arrow. ( Damnit Berserker...who ever you where i hate you. )

I will just have to wait and see if i can get my hands on one myself...but i really doubt it.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

JEZUS...last night i fought my first BAM and it was damned difficult, the BAM was a Indolent Kumas. This is a picture of a fight against a Indolent Kumas some one placed on Defiant.

It killed my Archer the first time, but with the second try i got it. :) But it took a long time, because for some freaking reason the monster returned to the place where i found it a few times. And as such it hat full health again and i hat to begin the fight again.

But that BAM was nothing compared to the one i have to hunt and kill now. I have to kill 2 so called Naga Mercenaries...and lets put it like this. :angry: ;-(( :arg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-mq_HgLkr4

This is some one else using a Archer against a Naga Mercenary, and this player made it look so easy. But it is not so far for me, so for the moment i started playing with my Slayer again to blow some steam out of frustration. lol Maybe i will start a Berserker, since they get to wear Heavy armour...do truck loads of damage and can block infinitely unlike most other classes. I will have to wait and see, but when i got there i also joined in a few fights from other players against Naga Mercenaries and one of them was a level 22 Berserker. This person nearly mowed down that Naga, and my level 24 Archer hat no change what so ever to kill it so far. It is not that i could not damage it, i got it at around 20 to 30% of its health. But i will need a lot of time to learn its attack patterns, before i will try it again with my Archer.
Maigrets
Admin

Hahaha, that's a BAM alright. :grin: Especially when seeing the size of the player next to it.

Your character looks cool too. :) Playing an Archer is a bit like playing a mage I find...you're a bit of a glass cannon and can't afford to get hit too many times.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:Hahaha, that's a BAM alright. :grin: Especially when seeing the size of the player next to it.
Indeed. :grin:
Maigrets wrote:Your character looks cool too. :) Playing an Archer is a bit like playing a mage I find...you're a bit of a glass cannon and can't afford to get hit too many times.
Yeah i like the way he looks as well. And you are correct, archers in Tera can not take the punishment that a Lancer or Berserker can, but they can take more damage then sorcerers because Archers wear light armour while sorcerers only have cloth. Sorcerers are said to out damage archers but they really...really need to keep their distance from enemies.