Risen 3:Titan Lords

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Console games, i no longer have a console so they where just starting to gather dust. We have Game Mania stores here, and they buy and sell used games if they are still in good working order. And only legal games of course, so it needs to be the original disc and in the original packing as well.
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Fessels wrote:Console games, i no longer have a console so they where just starting to gather dust. We have Game Mania stores here, and they buy and sell used games if they are still in good working order. And only legal games of course, so it needs to be the original disc and in the original packing as well.
Ah..OK. :) I have a lot of old PS2 games as well as the console but they are gathering dust as well.

BTW in case you're even thinking about Risen 3 you might like to download the game manual in pdf form from here just to have a look.
http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showt ... n-3-Manual

Might give some insight into what's involved before you buy it and then possibly curse me for it... :grin: The manual explains things quite well compared to some I've seen. The crafting system, factions and a ton of other stuff. It's around 9mb.

One of the biggest things in these games is to search everywhere, behind every bush and corner and take your time with the game. Treasures are well hidden or hard to get to at times, and you'll need all the gold you can get for training and supplies. Of course you can also "liberate" items from unsuspecting owners in the dead of night, but don't get caught. The AI is pretty good at watching what you're up to and you usually only get one warning.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:Ah..OK. :) I have a lot of old PS2 games as well as the console but they are gathering dust as well.

BTW in case you're even thinking about Risen 3 you might like to download the game manual in pdf form from here just to have a look.
http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showt ... n-3-Manual

Might give some insight into what's involved before you buy it and then possibly curse me for it... :grin: The manual explains things quite well compared to some I've seen. The crafting system, factions and a ton of other stuff. It's around 9mb.

One of the biggest things in these games is to search everywhere, behind every bush and corner and take your time with the game. Treasures are well hidden or hard to get to at times, and you'll need all the gold you can get for training and supplies. Of course you can also "liberate" items from unsuspecting owners in the dead of night, but don't get caught. The AI is pretty good at watching what you're up to and you usually only get one warning.
Thanks for the PDF link Maigrets, it is always nice indeed to know more about the game before deciding to buy it or not. :)
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

Steam has a huge sale on at the moment. Up to 80% reduction on everything. Might be of interest to you even for other games than Risen 3 if you can find out about the vouchers before the sale is over.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Yeah i think i will go through the store on steam this weekend and see if there is more on there that i might like. :)
Maigrets
Admin

The combat in this game is getting a thrashing by professional reviewers whose opinion I frankly take with a grain of salt about any game, not just this one. The main complaint, besides the graphics and difficulty is the combat. At first it seems simplistic, however if performed correctly, it's very good and even better when you train your abilities.

The point that needs to be made is...training and timing, and patience. Judging combat in the very early stages when the character is weak is not indicative of anything. It's also up to the player to learn the moves and to realize this is NOT a button bashing hack and slash game.

Anyway, this video is a very good overview of early combat, and towards the end shows late game combat when he has joined one of the factions. Each faction, by the way, has it's own set of abilities, spells, weapons and armour etc so there is a huge variety. You can only be a full member of one faction so to try out the others requires replaying the game, or going back to a save before joining any faction. You can be a cadet of all factions up to a certain cutoff point and then you need to decide who you want to actually join permanently.

EDIT:

By reading through the forum's host help (forum) pages again I eventually found this regarding embedding videos. It seems choice of browser may sometimes be a factor. Anyway quoted from the post near the bottom of this thread:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 5&start=30
I have noticed lately depending what your browser picks up either "http://www.you" or "https://www.you" using the entire address not the just the string. Address's with "https://" do not display the video, for my own posting I just remove the "s" and then it displays the video fine.
It worked in this instance and at other times links work correctly, so I :-o . I use Firefox so I don't know if makes a difference.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

I just watched that video, and this guy showed that the combat system is good as long as you use it correctly. Always nice to see some one show that not every game combat requires button mashing. :)

As for the videos and browser...well i use SlimJet. ( A chrome clone that actually keeps up with Chrome version. ) In the past when i used Chrome itself i could place youtube videos like on this page, but ever since Google changed Youtube that has not been possible any more for me. ( No matter if i use Chrome or SlimJet...i tried it. :) )
Maigrets
Admin

I'm still loving this game and can't wait to start another playthrough, although I'm nowhere near the end. It has so many paths and options that on a first play you aren't sure what's what and what to choose, but it makes it easier to see what you'd like to do next time so replayability is very rewarding.
Digging for treasure. You need to have a shovel in inventory. These red X marks are only shown when you obtain a treasure map. The surrounding gray colours in this and the next shot are because it's in the Shadowlands

Hmm, wonder what this chest contains? I can't remember now but usually chests contain good loot and if you're lucky a Legendary weapon, although that's rare and you need high lockpicking skills.

The Underworld. You are sent here every time you sleep and this visit was uneventful. As time goes on you meet demons and other dead people who will either help or hinder you in the real world.

Lava Golem

The Mage Camp where the Guardians faction is located.

Attack of the giant crab, only one this time. You need to knock them over onto their backs to really damage them.

Creepy portal. You need to find teleporter stones to activate them.

Shadow Lord of Madness.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Oh man that all looks great. :woot:
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:Oh man that all looks great. :woot:
Yes. It really pains me that this game gets either very good reviews or very bad ones, nothing in the middle. The very bad ones are from idiots like Angry Joe and his kind who trash games because they are hard or have some kind of learning curve. Thinking and common sense comes hard to some.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Yeah Angry Joe does have a...special way of looking at certain games, oh well his loss. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:Yeah Angry Joe does have a...special way of looking at certain games, oh well his loss. :)
"Special" :grin: It's not only this game and the sad thing is people listen to him as though it's the truth. That's the power of Youtube..lol
Maigrets
Admin

Anyone vaguely interested in this game might like to take a look at this unbiased and fair review. And I'm not just posting this because it says good things about the game, but because it states the facts, good and bad, and not just made up for views or paid to review.

Risen 3 - Rising Above Bad Expectations
http://nichegamer.net/reviews/risen-3-t ... ds-review/
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Now that was indeed a good review.
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

It really pains me that this game gets either very good reviews or very bad ones, nothing in the middle.
It has always been the case for the Gothic Game, since they are hard to handle and hard to play, gamers these days don't like those type of game. We're leaving in a time of instantaneity and cut & paste syndrome, people in general don't like learning curve.

As for me I really thing the game looks good and interesting. I like to be lost and immerged in an harsh world...It seems this game is for me.
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Maigrets
Admin

MasterAub wrote:
It really pains me that this game gets either very good reviews or very bad ones, nothing in the middle.
It has always been the case for the Gothic Game, since they are hard to handle and hard to play, gamers these days don't like those type of game. We're leaving in a time of instantaneity and cut & paste syndrome, people in general don't like learning curve.

As for me I really thing the game looks good and interesting. I like to be lost and immerged in an harsh world...It seems this game is for me.
Yes, and the team that made it is about 20 people, so as far as I'm concerned that's an achievement considering the game is perfectly stable and the world is quite large. I haven't had any issues at all. A lot of rpg developers could take a lesson from them, but as you say it's the times we are in and players don't want to be challenged or to fail so that's unlikely to ever happen.

I'm thrilled that Piranha Bytes have stuck with their system and haven't gone over to the dark side...lol.

It's taking me ages to get things done because I spend a lot of time exploring and rewards for it are very,very worth it. I've found legendary weapons and other great hidden loot that way, but sometimes I have to go back to an area because my lockpick skill isn't high enough for some chests.

This game probably isn't quite as hard as the Gothic series, but then again we have played those games and know what to expect. It's not as dark as Gothic but it is harsh, and there is an underlying menace and feeling of danger, especially when you get further into the game. At least in my opinion.

I find the dialogue to be witty and at times amusing, but not silly, and many times I've laughed out loud at some of Nameless reactions, although he is called The Lost One in this game. The character animations and facial expressions are top notch. There are also a number of choices you can make in dialogue which will make people with hate you or like you, or just be neutral which is something many rpg's lack these days.

Anyway, I'm about to go and join the Voodoo Pirates and get some good magic and my own ship. I've already enlisted my crew.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:Yes, and the team that made it is about 20 people, so as far as I'm concerned that's an achievement considering the game is perfectly stable and the world is quite large. I haven't had any issues at all. A lot of rpg developers could take a lesson from them, but as you say it's the times we are in and players don't want to be challenged or to fail so that's unlikely to ever happen.

I'm thrilled that Piranha Bytes have stuck with their system and haven't gone over to the dark side...lol.

It's taking me ages to get things done because I spend a lot of time exploring and rewards for it are very,very worth it. I've found legendary weapons and other great hidden loot that way, but sometimes I have to go back to an area because my lockpick skill isn't high enough for some chests.

This game probably isn't quite as hard as the Gothic series, but then again we have played those games and know what to expect. It's not as dark as Gothic but it is harsh, and there is an underlying menace and feeling of danger, especially when you get further into the game. At least in my opinion.

I find the dialogue to be witty and at times amusing, but not silly, and many times I've laughed out loud at some of Nameless reactions, although he is called The Lost One in this game. The character animations and facial expressions are top notch. There are also a number of choices you can make in dialogue which will make people with hate you or like you, or just be neutral which is something many rpg's lack these days.

Anyway, I'm about to go and join the Voodoo Pirates and get some good magic and my own ship. I've already enlisted my crew.
Gothic was Dark both in how the world looked and how it played, but Risen 3 is bright. As for harsh...well when that undead brute with the huge axe came at me on the ship i thought i could take him...but he nearly killed me. Thank god it was still tutorial so i could take a sip of rum. ( LoL great find, healing a pirate by having him drink rum. :) ) The X marking the spot for the first treasure was funny to. :D

But one thing i did not understand, after having installed the game which took a bit more then 5 GB the game was in German. So i first hat to set the language to English for the game in steam...and then i hat to wait for another 1.6 GB to download and install? Why not just include English by default? ( Oh well. )
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:
Gothic was Dark both in how the world looked and how it played, but Risen 3 is bright. As for harsh...well when that undead brute with the huge axe came at me on the ship i thought i could take him...but he nearly killed me. Thank god it was still tutorial so i could take a sip of rum. ( LoL great find, healing a pirate by having him drink rum. :) ) The X marking the spot for the first treasure was funny to. :D

But one thing i did not understand, after having installed the game which took a bit more then 5 GB the game was in German. So i first hat to set the language to English for the game in steam...and then i hat to wait for another 1.6 GB to download and install? Why not just include English by default? ( Oh well. )
Great! I think you will really love this game. :happy:

Yes, you could even die in the tutorial..lol. I nearly did as well. A lot of the healing items are variations of alcohol and you can even make your own when you get training and with the right ingredients.

HINT: steal or take everything that's not nailed down, just don't get caught. It's sometimes the only way to get things you need. Gold is hard to come by for a long time because as soon as you get it you have to spend it..lol Much like real life. :)

Maybe the game was German because it's the Euro version?? I don't know. It was automatically English for me. The 1.6 GB DL was probably patches. There was a big one I remember soon after release and another one a few days ago, but not that big I'm sure. Also did you get the DLC with yours? Maybe that's what it was. I pre-ordered so I got some armour and there are two extra islands with a ton of extra quests included. Fog Island and Isle of Thieves. You should see them on the map if you did.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:
Fessels wrote:

Great! I think you will really love this game. :happy:
Time will tell. ( But i am sure i will. :) )
Maigrets wrote:Yes, you could even die in the tutorial..lol. I nearly did as well. A lot of the healing items are variations of alcohol and you can even make your own when you get training and with the right ingredients.
That is good to know.
Maigrets wrote:HINT: steal or take everything that's not nailed down, just don't get caught. It's sometimes the only way to get things you need. Gold is hard to come by for a long time because as soon as you get it you have to spend it..lol Much like real life. :)
LoL well that is part of the job description of a pirate, but thank you i will keep an eye out for things to be "Liberated". :grin:
Maigrets wrote:Maybe the game was German because it's the Euro version?? I don't know. It was automatically English for me. The 1.6 GB DL was probably patches. There was a big one I remember soon after release and another one a few days ago, but not that big I'm sure. Also did you get the DLC with yours? Maybe that's what it was. I pre-ordered so I got some armour and there are two extra islands with a ton of extra quests included. Fog Island and Isle of Thieves. You should see them on the map if you did.
Well Piranha Bytes is a German company as far as i remember, but still a game should have English included since it is a International language...still it was not the end of the world but it was pretty weird none the less. And i hat used the update function before i started the game and noticed the German language. It does not matter any more since it is solved. And i bought the First edition which has these extra's....

- Risen 3: Titan Lords ( Duhh :) )
- Fog Island DLC
- Uprising of the Little Guy DLC
- Adventure Garb DLC

Maybe the Isle of Thieves is specific for Pre-ordered version.
Maigrets
Admin

Well Piranha Bytes is a German company as far as i remember, but still a game should have English included since it is a International language...still it was not the end of the world but it was pretty weird none the less. And i hat used the update function before i started the game and noticed the German language. It does not matter any more since it is solved. And i bought the First edition which has these extra's....

- Risen 3: Titan Lords ( Duhh :) )
- Fog Island DLC
- Uprising of the Little Guy DLC
- Adventure Garb DLC

Maybe the Isle of Thieves is specific for Pre-ordered version.
Yes, First Edition is what I have in the DVD version.

Actually I think Uprising of the Little Guys is what it's actually called, but it's Isle of Thieves you go to. It's a fun area but is still has it's challenges.

The Adventure garb is a bit overpowered but then again you need all the help you can get early on..lol You will find better at vendors a bit later and when you join a faction they have really good armour.

I know you didn't like companions in Skyrim and in this game they are optional, except for when a quest NPC accompanies you, but I find I like the company and they also comment in conversations with other NPC's. They also have their own quests and in the case of one, you need him for certain things to do with your "condition."

Besides, these followers actually climb up and down obstacles, jump, swim and go everywhere you go. Occasionally they might get lost if you take an unusual path but going back to the boat or using a teleporter will bring them back. Often they will just catch up by themselves.