Risen 3:Titan Lords

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Coming at the end of the month. :-D-) This time the devs have gone back to their roots and created a classic game in the style of Gothic 2, much like Risen 1 was. I played Risen 2 but didn't finish it and didn't like it as much as the former. They changed so much that it was too different in style and not as open world.

If graphics are more important than gameplay as it is to a lot of people, then this may not be for you. The game looks good enough for me as did the previous titles and they had things that games like Skyrim never had....godrays and cloth physics for example.

This is at least one development team that has listened to their long time fans! :-) I've pre-ordered because I've seen enough to know I want to play it.

Anyway, for anyone interested, this gameplay video explains it all...the world, combat, exploration and lots more. Classic old school RPG.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Now that looks really great, and as for the graphics...well i think it looks great as well. :)
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

It sure look and sound terrific for "old schooler" like me.
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Maigrets
Admin

MasterAub wrote:It sure look and sound terrific for "old schooler" like me.
Yes, I'm really looking forward to it. It's actually out next Thursday not the end of the month as I said in my initial post. I was confusing the date with the next installment of the Dark Souls 2 DLC.

The comment I made about the graphics was because as always there were people commenting (complaining) on the video about poor graphics and these are the people who don't see the value in gameplay of these games. Besides, the graphics in the previous two games were very pretty IMO and it also means a lot more people with older systems can play newer games. I guess if there were a way to choose between HD and so called "lesser" graphics in the game options it would be fine, then everyone would be happy....but then some people always find something else to complain about.

People also complain about the "lack" of male/female choice of character customization in these games as well, but that has never mattered to me. Gothic and other games like it have always been about "Nameless" and his story. I'm glad they didn't change that.

The fact that the developers actually listened to the fans and reverted to the old "Gothic" style is a big plus for them. I'd still be playing the Gothic series if it didn't mean some fiddling around with Windows 7 to get them to work, although I think G3 would be OK.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:The comment I made about the graphics was because as always there were people commenting (complaining) on the video about poor graphics and these are the people who don't see the value in gameplay of these games. Besides, the graphics in the previous two games were very pretty IMO and it also means a lot more people with older systems can play newer games. I guess if there were a way to choose between HD and so called "lesser" graphics in the game options it would be fine, then everyone would be happy....but then some people always find something else to complain about.
That is true, i agree. There will always be people who believe that they can tell a gaming company what to do, just to fit their own personal opinions on how a game should be. Granted listening to fans of a gaming franchise is important, but it should never be the main thing to do.
Maigrets wrote:People also complain about the "lack" of male/female choice of character customization in these games as well, but that has never mattered to me. Gothic and other games like it have always been about "Nameless" and his story. I'm glad they didn't change that.
Being able to change a character so that he/she looks pretty unique is nice, but i agree that it is not necessary for a great game.
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote: Being able to change a character so that he/she looks pretty unique is nice, but i agree that it is not necessary for a great game.
True. For games like TES and other RPG's it's great to have both genders available because you make the game your story or your characters story as a role play, and I like that too. But for the Gothic games and also Two Worlds 2 which I also like, it's always been that you play a set character (ie Nameless in Gothic) and play out his story, customizing his experience along the way.

These games have always been niche games in a way, but also with a large following, which is why the companies are still in business. They don't need to be AAA to be successful and it's my opinion that a lot AAA game companies these days have gone "off the rails" catering to casuals who don't like to lose or to think too hard.

One recent example...the Thief franchise was ruined by the latest installment and was a failure as a stealth game. When Gothic 4 was developed and released by a different team, JoWood, after splitting with Piranha Bytes, the real Gothic creators....that was a tragedy and an insult. It was very graphically intense and pretty to look at, but had no substance at all. I'm sad to say I got caught with that one. Played less than an hour, not even past the "tutorial" and never looked at it again.

I'd bet there have been games with rpg elements that have had female only main characters, but people don't complain about that especially when these females are usually over sexualized and aimed at a certain audience to generate more sales. I don't really care about that either. If I like a game I'll play it, if not I don't. People get too wound up about political correctness these days.

Achievements is another thing I'll never understand and I could care less about. Who are players competing against in single player games when they get all excited to see a popup on screen saying they have gained a trophy? It's stupid.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:Achievements is another thing I'll never understand and I could care less about. Who are players competing against in single player games when they get all excited to see a popup on screen saying they have gained a trophy? It's stupid.
Achievements can be nice, i personally see them as extra Quests to work on. Sometimes it can give unexpected results. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:
Maigrets wrote:Achievements is another thing I'll never understand and I could care less about. Who are players competing against in single player games when they get all excited to see a popup on screen saying they have gained a trophy? It's stupid.
Achievements can be nice, i personally see them as extra Quests to work on. Sometimes it can give unexpected results. :)
Well, I will never get all achievements in any game anyway as there are often things I don't do or want to do. Like the Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim or even things in Dark Souls 2, especially to do with PvP Covenants. I used the mod in Skyrim that did something similar, but that was a bit different and half the time I forgot to even check except when I got a notification.

I think my main objection is the way a lot of players these days say they must "beat" the game and get all trophy's as though it's like a school competition and forget completely what the game was and what it was about.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I think my main objection is the way a lot of players these days say they must "beat" the game and get all trophy's as though it's like a school competition and forget completely what the game was and what it was about.
On this i agree, the Achievements are an extra but are not needed to beat the game. :) As to those players who say they must get all trophy's...well they more then likely are completionists or however they like to call that now a days.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:
Maigrets wrote:I think my main objection is the way a lot of players these days say they must "beat" the game and get all trophy's as though it's like a school competition and forget completely what the game was and what it was about.
On this i agree, the Achievements are an extra but are not needed to beat the game. :) As to those players who say they must get all trophy's...well they more then likely are completionists or however they like to call that now a days.
I'm a bit of a completionist myself when it comes to games, especially rpg's, but it's more that I do my utmost to find secrets and special loot or hidden quests. Depends on the game though. If it's a game that let's you do everything in one playthrough, (like Skyrim) which is not my thing, and if I'm playing a "good' or "neutral" type which is the most often, I won't do any evil stuff. Usually....I don't count being a werewolf as especially evil..lol. It's just a beastly alter ego out of my control.

Strangely enough I'll be posting info and screenshots of the actual game this topic is about on Thursday or Friday.... :grin: I don't care about offtopic though and it was me who started going off after all.
Maigrets
Admin

Due to the incompetence of the EBGames head distributor, presumably in Sydney, I can't play the game until next week, probably Wednesday. Apparently, since it was a Public Holiday interstate they forgot to send out all games that were released for sale today.

I would get a refund and download it from Steam, but the download size is too big a chunk out of my monthly limit and I prefer to have a physical copy anyway so I never have to download but just install easily from disc. Oh well, I still have a lot to do in Dark Souls 2 before it's 2nd DLC arrives.
Maigrets
Admin

Some initial screenshots from the game. No-one seems to know how to access the console yet so the in game shots have the HUD, and the others are from cutscenes.

The game is very vibrant and colourful and ...yes...you guessed it, I'm using SweetFX which makes the colours richer and areas that should be darker actually darker, eg inside ruins.

I came close to dying in the early stages which was quite long but also a sort of tutorial. I was very sad when that part ended because I had amassed quite a lot of treasures and it was all taken from me.... :-( and then the real game started.

I've only played a couple of hours thus far but this game may be as big as Gothic 3 just going by what's happened so far. As far as I'm concerned that's a good thing...lol.
Going treasure hunting in the ruins. The woman in the background is my character's sister Patty.

A random Idol in the jungle

Parrot power. Use a spell to turn into a parrot to fly to unreachable areas. I love this... :cheese:

My soul was stolen and taken to the Underworld which I can actually access.

My resurrection. Bones, the Witch Doctor doing unspeakable things to my dead body....lol Bringing me back to life with all my treasure and other gear...GONE!.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

They look really good, as for the witch doctor...well that is what they do. :) ( And the name Bones...that was a pretty good show in my opinion. )
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:They look really good, as for the witch doctor...well that is what they do. :) ( And the name Bones...that was a pretty good show in my opinion. )
I think you would like this game. The dialogue is good and at times quite funny, as in witty not dumb. The voice acting is about the same as the old games, or even a little better, not wonderful but good enough. The system specs are pretty basic, about the same as the older Gothic games, but the character and creature animations are excellent IMHO.

I just have to get myself trained up so I don't die, or almost die every time I get into a fight...lol, but that takes a lot of gold which isn't easy to come by. Thankfully, at the moment there are companions at various parts to help out, or you can tell them to leave and go it alone, depending on the quest.

As for the Witch Doctor..there's a Voodoo faction which I think I'll join otherwise the mages or Demon Hunters. Not sure yet, but I can join them all as a beginner and decide later who to really side with for the main part.

Depending on how you behave towards others you can end up as a demonic being, or so I've been told by an NPC, or as a "good' helpful type, and it affects how the game plays and how people interact with you. I think I'm going for mostly helpful and civil 1st time through as it's hard enough already without everyone hating me...lol

Yes, I agree. :) Bones is a great TV show. I hope they continue with another season or two.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I think you would like this game. The dialogue is good and at times quite funny, as in witty not dumb. The voice acting is about the same as the old games, or even a little better, not wonderful but good enough. The system specs are pretty basic, about the same as the older Gothic games, but the character and creature animations are excellent IMHO.

Depending on how you behave towards others you can end up as a demonic being, or so I've been told by an NPC, or as a "good' helpful type, and it affects how the game plays and how people interact with you. I think I'm going for mostly helpful and civil 1st time through as it's hard enough already without everyone hating me...lol
I think i would like it to, but for some odd reason none of the computer stores in my home town have it at the moment. Most told me it was ordered but could not give me a date. :( But so to hear it is a bit like Fable when it comes to how people react to you due to your actions? ( And much better in that area as well i hope. )
Maigrets wrote:Yes, I agree. :) Bones is a great TV show. I hope they continue with another season or two.
Me to. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote: I think i would like it to, but for some odd reason none of the computer stores in my home town have it at the moment. Most told me it was ordered but could not give me a date. :( But so to hear it is a bit like Fable when it comes to how people react to you due to your actions? ( And much better in that area as well i hope.
You could get it from Steam and probably cheaper. Oh, and if you haven't been on Steam lately, it has a new look after the last update..lol

Well, except for a very brief time in FABLE 1 many years ago, I never played any of the games so I really can't compare. It was more that the opportunity never arose and because I heard not so good things about the games so never really got into them.

Risen has a very good reputation system though. Choices in dialogue, working factions where if you are a member of one the others may dislike or even attack you depending on the situation. You can help one person and another may be affected, for better or worse, or you can play people off against others by lying or reporting them to authorities, for example. You have to work to gain people's trust.

Don't get caught stealing, obviously..lol, or entering houses or buildings you have no right being in. Your actions are irreversible so if you kill someone or do something in a certain way, it can fail a quest, make people like you or be hostile to you. Unless of course you reload a save. :P

The reputation system is something I wish TES games had to be more believable, especially Skyrim with the Imperials and Stormcloaks and the civil war.

Risen, like the Gothic games also has a more natural way of portraying people, and creatures, going about their daily lives IMHO. Creatures won't attack you for no reason unless you get into their personal space and will warn you away. That doesn't apply to monsters though...they hate everyone..lol.

The combat system at first may seem very simplistic, but at the start you are as weak as a baby, but after training and getting better weapons, and crafting them as well, it's pretty good.

I can see why the modern generation of gamers wouldn't like this game though. It's hard and makes you think about what you're doing.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:You could get it from Steam and probably cheaper.
I could but i do not buy things over the internet.
Maigrets wrote:Oh, and if you haven't been on Steam lately, it has a new look after the last update..lol
I checked it out because i thought it would be completely different now, it became a bit darker and it seems to start a bit faster now. ( Could also be my imagination. :) ) Also i get the feeling that the update function for both steam itself and the games have become more stable then before?
Maigrets wrote:Well, except for a very brief time in FABLE 1 many years ago, I never played any of the games so I really can't compare. It was more that the opportunity never arose and because I heard not so good things about the games so never really got into them.
Well the first one was good in my opinion, but the sequels where rubbish indeed.
Maigrets wrote:Risen has a very good reputation system though. Choices in dialogue, working factions where if you are a member of one the others may dislike or even attack you depending on the situation. You can help one person and another may be affected, for better or worse, or you can play people off against others by lying or reporting them to authorities, for example. You have to work to gain people's trust.
So it is like real life...very nice. :)
Maigrets wrote:Don't get caught stealing, obviously..lol, or entering houses or buildings you have no right being in. Your actions are irreversible so if you kill someone or do something in a certain way, it can fail a quest, make people like you or be hostile to you. Unless of course you reload a save. :P
Lasting consequences...hmm that will make things more interestingly.
Maigrets wrote:The reputation system is something I wish TES games had to be more believable, especially Skyrim with the Imperials and Stormcloaks and the civil war.
Yeah the reputation system from Skyrim is...well i could almost say that it does not exist.
Maigrets wrote:Risen, like the Gothic games also has a more natural way of portraying people, and creatures, going about their daily lives IMHO. Creatures won't attack you for no reason unless you get into their personal space and will warn you away. That doesn't apply to monsters though...they hate everyone..lol.
That makes games more realistic alright.
Maigrets wrote:The combat system at first may seem very simplistic, but at the start you are as weak as a baby, but after training and getting better weapons, and crafting them as well, it's pretty good.
So just like PoE and TERA, that is good. :)
Maigrets wrote:I can see why the modern generation of gamers wouldn't like this game though. It's hard and makes you think about what you're doing.
Yeah that is something many lack now a days, ( But not all of them. ) almost everything must be handed on a silver platter.
Maigrets
Admin

I could but i do not buy things over the internet.
I don't either, but we can buy a Steam Voucher from our games store for either $20 or $50 and then you put the code on the receipt into Steam and the funds are available to buy games. That's how I get the DLC's for Dark Souls 2 or other games. It's a safe and easy way to do it.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Hmm i will have to check if one of the computer stores has those vouchers next week. I could call but i am taking some old games i no longer want to one of the stores next week, so i might as well ask then. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:Hmm i will have to check if one of the computer stores has those vouchers next week. I could call but i am taking some old games i no longer want to one of the stores next week, so i might as well ask then. :)
PC or console games?? We can't trade or sell or rent PC games here, even if they aren't Steam games where you can't reuse the codes. Supposedly it's because PC games can be copied, or so they tell me. Doesn't matter that console games can also be pirated. I have a heap of games I would trade or sell but can't, but most of them are older now anyway and no-one would want them. I don't buy that many games these days, so I'm not stuck with many I don't want or need anymore.