Dragon Age Origins.

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

The extra dog slot mod is also something I use and it is really nice. :)

For installing Mods you could use this DAO Modmanager. ( When it is a mod with a dazip or override extension. )

As for friendly fire ... well be prepared for that because that is a very real possibility. You could use No Friendly Fire Damage and play on easy until you know the game better. But other wise you will need to get used to getting and giving Friendly damage. I have that mod installed as well and on easy it definitely worked, but as intended after switching to hard difficulty the chance for Friendly damage was back. But till now only Wynne seems seems to be the only one who has caused Friendly Damage with the Earth Quake spell. ( So I removed the tactic rule that made her use it. )

As for the rings ... well yeah I can understand why people like to get rid of them at times, but there are also times where I personally think it is good to have them. For example ... in a certain town you are asked to help defend it against a night attack on the town. During that attack it is really useful to at least see who is the enemy and who fights on your side. Enemies have red circles around them while your team members will have yellow rings ... and those who fight on your teams side but are not a member of your team will have blue rings. ( But once you get used to EMAT you will not have to care as much, since with the right tactics and behaviour, you team will mostly be fighting in real time. )

But I installed the No rings mod just now and will see for myself this evening whether it is still good enough or not to keep installed. ( Due to what I wrote above. But Screenshot moments come to mind. :) I only made a quick check to see if it worked correctly ... so I made a screenshot from top view. ( This is usually when you see the rings constantly. )
And it does seem to work from a quick check. So to keep things easy to install and remove ( If you download the manual version. ) go to C:\Users\Whatever you have here\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override\ and make a folder. ( I just named it circle. ) After that just dump the VFX files from the No Rings Mod in that folder. ( No need to tell you how to remove the folder you made. :grin: ) If you install the mod through the DAO Modmanager ( The version with the override extension. ) then you can un-install the mod through the Mod manager should you want to.
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Okay I am finally starting to calm down a bit after the last few days. I will not tell the whole story but I hat to have my computer repaired, and I asked the store I went to, to back up the things I hat listed on the repair form. They ... :angry: did not do so!! The hat put Windows 7 on the Hard drive but they hat not done any updating because they said there was no time for them to do that. ( And I can understand that. )

So at home I start the updates for Windows 7 ... only to find out that the person who put Windows 7 on it hat used a Illegal copy of Windows!! ;-(( After having stopped swearing I thought ...well I will use my Windows 7 disc to install the legal version of Windows 7. Which was the @#*#&^$ moment I discovered that my disc was damaged so no more Windows 7 for me!! Since Sunday evening I have been busy with installing and updating Windows Vista. ( Literally till late in the afternoon today.

I installed some other things like Origin, in order to find out that some how Dragon Age Origins hat also become the Ultimate Edition on Origin. All the DLC's got installed it seems so that was good. :)
But what was not good is that neither on Origin or Steam the Save games from Rhaegos where saved ... so that is even more insult on what I hat to go through because of that store. I have to freaking start all over the game because of all these things!

Okay I guess that is the whole story after all. ( Oh and I am going to find out if I can not take steps against the store ... I doubt it but I still have to try and find out. )
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Fessels wrote:Okay I am finally starting to calm down a bit after the last few days. I will not tell the whole story but I hat to have my computer repaired, and I asked the store I went to, to back up the things I hat listed on the repair form. They ... :angry: did not do so!! The hat put Windows 7 on the Hard drive but they hat not done any updating because they said there was no time for them to do that. ( And I can understand that. )

shit Well, I wouldn't accept that explanation at all. Why did they not phone you and say they didn't have time before causing the loss of all your data. That way you could have at least given permission to go ahead, or wait until they did have time or offered to pay a little extra or something.

"Sorry, We didn't have time." Or whatever excuse they gave you......That's plain bullsh*t. It makes me angry thinking about it. ;-((
So at home I start the updates for Windows 7 ... only to find out that the person who put Windows 7 on it hat used a Illegal copy of Windows!! ;-(( After having stopped swearing I thought ...well I will use my Windows 7 disc to install the legal version of Windows 7. Which was the @#*#&^$ moment I discovered that my disc was damaged so no more Windows 7 for me!! Since Sunday evening I have been busy with installing and updating Windows Vista. ( Literally till late in the afternoon today.
There's a reason to sue them right there. The store must be run by imbeciles to put an illegal copy of the OPERATING SYSTEM on a customer's PC. Then proving it is another thing.

I never used Vista as I went from XP to Win7, so I hope it works OK for you.
I installed some other things like Origin, in order to find out that some how Dragon Age Origins hat also become the Ultimate Edition on Origin. All the DLC's got installed it seems so that was good. :)
But what was not good is that neither on Origin or Steam the Save games from Rhaegos where saved ... so that is even more insult on what I hat to go through because of that store. I have to freaking start all over the game because of all these things!
That's heartbreaking when a character is lost, but think of it like Skyrim where you have to start over all the time because the game is so unstable and saves get corrupted. Then when you get back to where you were in DA:O without problems you can breath easy.

If anything happened to my current HDD I would probably be in the same boat because I always disable Cloud Saves and Steam in game, and Origin if I used it anymore. Although I do back them up elsewhere on my HDD and on DVD with other backup stuff. I imagine that's part of what you lost though.

BTW, I haven't yet DL'ed DA:O. Have to wait a few more days, around the 9th as I've already used over 80% of my DL limit and I don't want to be on dial up for a week. At least I'll still have internet but it's barely worth it at dial up speed. Been there...done that...lol
Okay I guess that is the whole story after all. ( Oh and I am going to find out if I can not take steps against the store ... I doubt it but I still have to try and find out. )
Seems to me you have a good case. If not for the illegal OS which could even be proven if the police searched the shop and found the disc, if they cared enough to look , but at the very least for the loss of your data. For the cost of a phone call from the store to you, this could have been avoided. So, yes, if it were me I would be definitely be doing something about it and they probably think you'll just give up and accept it. They shouldn't get away with crap, but it depends on how much it would cost you in time and money to sue them I suppose.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote: shit Well, I wouldn't accept that explanation at all. Why did they not phone you and say they didn't have time before causing the loss of all your data. That way you could have at least given permission to go ahead, or wait until they did have time or offered to pay a little extra or something.

"Sorry, We didn't have time." Or whatever excuse they gave you......That's plain bullsh*t. It makes me angry thinking about it. ;-((

========================================================================================

There's a reason to sue them right there. The store must be run by imbeciles to put an illegal copy of the OPERATING SYSTEM on a customer's PC. Then proving it is another thing.

I never used Vista as I went from XP to Win7, so I hope it works OK for you.
Actually I already talked to my lawyer this morning and He also believes there are more then enough reasons to sue them. He does not know if he will be able to do something about the illegal Windows 7 part ... mainly because I formatted my HD and placed Windows Vista on it. So he will start working on this case this week.

As for using Vista ... well it has its flaws, like quit a bit slower start up times. With Win 7 I hat boot times of 10 to 20 seconds, ( Most times that is. ) but with Vista the best boot time I hat so far is 46 seconds. But at the moment I have no other choice.
Maigrets wrote:That's heartbreaking when a character is lost, but think of it like Skyrim where you have to start over all the time because the game is so unstable and saves get corrupted. Then when you get back to where you were in DA:O without problems you can breath easy.
In a way I agree, but I was close to going to the Landsmeet in Denerim so I was getting close to having finished the main quest line of Dragon Age Origins. From there on I would have been able to start with the other campaigns like Awakening. :( But now I do have the opportunity to start a different Origin, so I might start as a Dual Wielding City Elf Rogue, or a Mage ... something along those lines.
Maigrets wrote:If anything happened to my current HDD I would probably be in the same boat because I always disable Cloud Saves and Steam in game, and Origin if I used it anymore. Although I do back them up elsewhere on my HDD and on DVD with other backup stuff. I imagine that's part of what you lost though.
Well I hat set Steam online for a while in order to see if there where updates for the other games I have, so I thought that the save games from DAO would be synchronized? ( But alas they where not. ) And it was one of the folders I wanted the store to back up.
Maigrets wrote:BTW, I haven't yet DL'ed DA:O. Have to wait a few more days, around the 9th as I've already used over 80% of my DL limit and I don't want to be on dial up for a week. At least I'll still have internet but it's barely worth it at dial up speed. Been there...done that...lol
Yeah unfortunately you have no choice then to do it like that due to how your Internet provider works. And Dial up speed ... ah that brings back memories. ( And not always good ones. )
Maigrets wrote:Seems to me you have a good case. If not for the illegal OS which could even be proven if the police searched the shop and found the disc, if they cared enough to look , but at the very least for the loss of your data. For the cost of a phone call from the store to you, this could have been avoided. So, yes, if it were me I would be definitely be doing something about it and they probably think you'll just give up and accept it. They shouldn't get away with crap, but it depends on how much it would cost you in time and money to sue them I suppose.
Well as I mentioned my Lawyer will start a case this week, but I have no idea if hey will contact the police. But I will give him a call either tomorrow or Friday to see how much chance of success it has to have the police search the store. As for the loss of Data my Lawyer also thinks I have a strong case, simply because I asked them to Back certain things up for me on the contract I filled in their store. My Lawyer mentioned that it was a Breach of contract on their side and they should be held accountable for it. ( What a way to start the new year. )
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:
Actually I already talked to my lawyer this morning and He also believes there are more then enough reasons to sue them. He does not know if he will be able to do something about the illegal Windows 7 part ... mainly because I formatted my HD and placed Windows Vista on it. So he will start working on this case this week.
Yeah, I think the illegal OS part would be difficult, possibly even if you didn't format your drive. They could say it was yours since you had taken the PC home.
As for using Vista ... well it has its flaws, like quit a bit slower start up times. With Win 7 I hat boot times of 10 to 20 seconds, ( Most times that is. ) but with Vista the best boot time I hat so far is 46 seconds. But at the moment I have no other choice.
Hmm, at least you have Vista and don't have to go back to XP. :( I've read Vista has most of the functions of Win 7, but as I said I've never used it so I don't know really.
Well as I mentioned my Lawyer will start a case this week, but I have no idea if hey will contact the police. But I will give him a call either tomorrow or Friday to see how much chance of success it has to have the police search the store. As for the loss of Data my Lawyer also thinks I have a strong case, simply because I asked them to Back certain things up for me on the contract I filled in their store. My Lawyer mentioned that it was a Breach of contract on their side and they should be held accountable for it. ( What a way to start the new year. )
Well, I hope the lawyer throws the book at them and gets you some compensation....maybe a new Win7 disc... :) What if it were a business person's data they lost, not that that's any more important than yours IMO, but I'm sure they wouldn't be able to ignore something like that and just say sorry.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:Yeah, I think the illegal OS part would be difficult, possibly even if you didn't format your drive. They could say it was yours since you had taken the PC home.
Indeed that is why I personally think it does not matter, I will see what my Lawyer thinks about it.
Maigrets wrote:Hmm, at least you have Vista and don't have to go back to XP. :( I've read Vista has most of the functions of Win 7, but as I said I've never used it so I don't know really.
Well it is not extremely different, but I only have the 32 bit version of Vista and not the 64 bit. ( Oh well. )
Maigrets wrote:Well, I hope the lawyer throws the book at them and gets you some compensation....maybe a new Win7 disc... :) What if it were a business person's data they lost, not that that's any more important than yours IMO, but I'm sure they wouldn't be able to ignore something like that and just say sorry.
As much as I would like to have it again ... I am not trusting any software that comes from that store any more. Next time I need repairs on my computer then I will take it elsewhere. I will just have to wait and see how things turn out.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote: As much as I would like to have it again ... I am not trusting any software that comes from that store any more. Next time I need repairs on my computer then I will take it elsewhere. I will just have to wait and see how things turn out.
I have a friend who does anything I need as far as hardware goes so I'm lucky in that regard and I can do anything software related myself.

But, yes, trusting businesses these days is hit and miss. In fact as I've gotten older I find trusting almost anybody is difficult.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I have a friend who does anything I need as far as hardware goes so I'm lucky in that regard and I can do anything software related myself.
That is always nice indeed. :)
Maigrets wrote:But, yes, trusting businesses these days is hit and miss. In fact as I've gotten older I find trusting almost anybody is difficult.
A lot of people do not make it easy to trust them, they often only pretend and then use people for their own gain.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Alright then, here is a first screenshot of my new character.
Meet Zhai, a scary looking dual wielding City Elf Rogue. ( As a human you definitely do not want to anger her. :twisted: )
Elves do not trust most Humans due to the history between humans and Elves, but due to what she and her family endured at the beginning she trusts most humans even less. ( If you play the City Elf Origin you will find out why. :) ) And of all Elves she was chosen to become a Grey Warden, so she could save Ferelden!? ( Yeah great idea Duncan. :grin: )
Maigrets
Admin

Elves do not trust most Humans due to the history between humans and Elves, but due to what she and her family endured at the beginning she trusts most humans even less. ( If you play the City Elf Origin you will find out why. :) ) And of all Elves she was chosen to become a Grey Warden, so she could save Ferelden!? ( Yeah great idea Duncan. :grin: )
I must say I like her look more than your other character...(the one we shall not speak of, lost to the ether.) He was a bit too clean cut and boyish looking in a way (sorry) which is understandable at the beginning of his grand quest. But, unfortunately, we can't age or change our characters to give them a battle weary look or a new maturity. I believe that's possible in DA2 using a mirror system as in KOAR though.

Zhai looks like she means business and has struggled with life choices and experience, good and bad. The fact that she hates humans is not surprising since many of them have no honour and will destroy whatever or whoever they come across just because they can, or out of plain ignorance.

Does DA:O have day/night cycles and weather? I was checking on DA:I to see if there's any news re more patching or just communication from the devs, which there isn't, and came across posts that mention no day or night or weather, no interaction with common objects...ie the world is as static as KOAR is as far as the environment....you can't go into the ocean and I presume rivers, or you die, so no swimming, NPC's don't have schedules and they just stand around and lots of other things typical to rpg's that are just missing.

It's not necessary to have weather and day/night cycles I suppose, but it just seems odd for such a huge 2014 open world game and a rpg at that.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:I must say I like her look more than your other character...(the one we shall not speak of, lost to the ether.) He was a bit too clean cut and boyish looking in a way (sorry) which is understandable at the beginning of his grand quest. But, unfortunately, we can't age or change our characters to give them a battle weary look or a new maturity. I believe that's possible in DA2 using a mirror system as in KOAR though.
LoL the "Lost one" was a Human Noble ... Pampered and set in the ways he hat lived till then. :grin:

But thanks, I tried to reflect Zhai's anger in her looks. And I seem to have succeeded because in some of the cut-scenes I have hat so far she looked even scarier at times, and Elves are not that big in this game. ( Some what around the size of Bosmer. )
Maigrets wrote:Zhai looks like she means business and has struggled with life choices and experience, good and bad. The fact that she hates humans is not surprising since many of them have no honour and will destroy whatever or whoever they come across just because they can, or out of plain ignorance.
Yeah she does, she is becoming what she is due to the injustice of the Humans in Ferelden. Those who hurt her and her family have paid with their lives already, but that does not change her attitude towards most humans. So when I think it is safe to do so, I will not be that friendly towards the human NPC's in game. :grin:
Maigrets wrote:Does DA:O have day/night cycles and weather? I was checking on DA:I to see if there's any news re more patching or just communication from the devs, which there isn't, and came across posts that mention no day or night or weather, no interaction with common objects...ie the world is as static as KOAR is as far as the environment....you can't go into the ocean and I presume rivers, or you die, so no swimming, NPC's don't have schedules and they just stand around and lots of other things typical to rpg's that are just missing.

It's not necessary to have weather and day/night cycles I suppose, but it just seems odd for such a huge 2014 open world game and a rpg at that.
No there is no changing system for day and Night, or a weather system. As a matter of fact, it will happen that one area is in Day time, and then if you for instance go to the parties camp site it will be night. And most of the world is indeed as static as KoAR, there are barrels ... sacks ... chests and plants to loot. ( And the bodies of your enemies. ) There are quests which may hide items in a certain way or in a certain place/creature in the game world but that is about it. But so far I personally do not mind the static bit in this game. I was more surprised about the time/weather part, but now that I know, it does not bother me any more.

In many places you see/encounter some NPC's who move around and do stuff, but also many who will just be sitting or standing around. But again in this game it is not a problem for me personally ... that is how good the rest of the game is in my opinion.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote: No there is no changing system for day and Night, or a weather system. As a matter of fact, it will happen that one area is in Day time, and then if you for instance go to the parties camp site it will be night. And most of the world is indeed as static as KoAR, there are barrels ... sacks ... chests and plants to loot. ( And the bodies of your enemies. ) There are quests which may hide items in a certain way or in a certain place/creature in the game world but that is about it. But so far I personally do not mind the static bit in this game. I was more surprised about the time/weather part, but now that I know, it does not bother me any more.
When I think about it in games like Skyrim for example, I much prefer the weather to be fine and sunny and I don't like it when it rains because it obscures my vision and goes on too long...lol... I do like fog effects on mountains and lowlands though. When I played Oblivion I had a spell to change the weather, and I always selected fine and sunny....lol. It's ironic that I used weather mods for both games..... :-o In reality, if I want changing weather I can get it outside my door.

It's also a bit the same when it comes to loot I guess. 100's of barrels and other containers with junk in them is a bit useless and a time sink, but I cant stop myself looking in them in case there's something worthwhile. Not having the option would be fine. :) It took me awhile to get used to the static world in KOAR and that I couldn't interact with things, but I got used to it. In the end being able to move stuff around and arrange things is for people who are more into "role playing" than I am. I collect a lot of loot, but it always goes into chests and I rarely ever look at it again, so it's a bit pointless.
In many places you see/encounter some NPC's who move around and do stuff, but also many who will just be sitting or standing around. But again in this game it is not a problem for me personally ... that is how good the rest of the game is in my opinion.
Yeah, I tend to agree. If the rest of the game is great those things aren't really that noticeable, or important. This game came out 2 years before Skyrim and from what I've read, and you've said, it far surpasses TES games as far as story and gameplay mechanics, which honestly wouldn't be that hard without mods.

I'm going to play through DA:O without too many mods or at least nothing game changing at first besides a couple of minor tweaks, like having the dog always in the party etc.. The main thing I will probably want immediately is more hair and character customization. Which mod do you use for that? I saw Dragon Age Redesigned as the most downloaded file, but it's advised not to use it on a first playthrough.

And I found this which is great.
Change Your Hero Hair and Face Anywhere In the Game
http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/1734/?
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:When I think about it in games like Skyrim for example, I much prefer the weather to be fine and sunny and I don't like it when it rains because it obscures my vision and goes on too long...lol... I do like fog effects on mountains and lowlands though. When I played Oblivion I had a spell to change the weather, and I always selected fine and sunny....lol. It's ironic that I used weather mods for both games..... :-o In reality, if I want changing weather I can get it outside my door.
I think that because we are used to the weather mods in games like The ElderScrolls Series, that we notice and miss a weather system in other games. I will not deny that when I first started playing DAO and noticed things like one cell is day time and then the party camp site is always night ... I would think "What the heck where they thinking!?" But during the second version of Rhaegos I simply stopped thinking about that, simply because the development teams behind they game are not going to change that so many years later.

I do think I saw a mod on Nexus that makes it so that the party camp site is in day time but I can not remember the name right now.
Maigrets wrote:It's also a bit the same when it comes to loot I guess. 100's of barrels and other containers with junk in them is a bit useless and a time sink, but I cant stop myself looking in them in case there's something worthwhile. Not having the option would be fine. :) It took me awhile to get used to the static world in KOAR and that I couldn't interact with things, but I got used to it. In the end being able to move stuff around and arrange things is for people who are more into "role playing" than I am. I collect a lot of loot, but it always goes into chests and I rarely ever look at it again, so it's a bit pointless.
Yeah that is the curse of the loot containers ... you never know for sure if that chest/barrel or something contains items useful to you or a party member. But in this game you really should check everything because it may contain useful items like ... Health/stamina/Lyrium potions ( The mana potions in this game. ) but also salves which will help with resistances against a certain element, or Injury Kits. Also things like the Mabari version of Injury kits, equipment items ... gifts for companions.
Maigrets wrote:Yeah, I tend to agree. If the rest of the game is great those things aren't really that noticeable, or important. This game came out 2 years before Skyrim and from what I've read, and you've said, it far surpasses TES games as far as story and gameplay mechanics, which honestly wouldn't be that hard without mods.
Yeah even without mods the game is better then Skyrim story wise and such. :)
Maigrets wrote:I'm going to play through DA:O without too many mods or at least nothing game changing at first besides a couple of minor tweaks, like having the dog always in the party etc.. The main thing I will probably want immediately is more hair and character customization. Which mod do you use for that? I saw Dragon Age Redesigned as the most downloaded file, but it's advised not to use it on a first playthrough.

And I found this which is great.
Change Your Hero Hair and Face Anywhere In the Game
http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/1734/?

Yeah I saw that one but I have not used it so far, but I guess it could be useful indeed under certain circumstances. As for the cosmetics mods ... well give me some time to see which I use, once i have them I will place links here. :)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Well I am not 100% certain if these are all the cosmetic mods I use, but the difficulty is that sometimes mod authors do not name the download the same as the mod name on the webpage. But I believe I found 99%.

* Anto Hairstyles
* Pineappletree's Vibrant Colours
* Bidelles Cosmetics
* CC Extra Tints and Tones
* Dragon Age Redesigned
* Eyebrow Presets by lastofthecouslands
* Fantasy Elves Presets
* Hairstyle Day
* More Hairstyles
* Platinum Blonde
* CS - Skins
* Beautiful People Hair REN

With Dragon Age Redesigned I only use the Origins and Awakening part, that way Dracomies textures are installed. Also it was important in the TES games to watch for the requirements of a mod but it is even more important in DAO. ( As is the install method for some mods. ) And if you want to use more then one mod from above or any combo of mods with each a chargenmorphcfg.xml file ... then you will have to use this program ...

CharGenMorph Compiler

And I realize you mentioned that you did not want to use mods the first time, but perhaps you might want to look at these none the less.

* Improved Atmosphere

* FtG UI Mod - More Readable Fonts and UI

* FtG Quickbar - Center and Multi Rows

* The Icons Project

* Unique Jewelry Icons - Rings

The two Icon mods can be used together.

It is also best not to use the Nexus Modmanager, that does not work with most DAO mods. So it is best to either use the updater that comes with the game, ( But that one has no un-install ability. ) or better yet DAO Modmanager.
Maigrets
Admin

I think that because we are used to the weather mods in games like The ElderScrolls Series, that we notice and miss a weather system in other games. I will not deny that when I first started playing DAO and noticed things like one cell is day time and then the party camp site is always night ... I would think "What the heck where they thinking!?" But during the second version of Rhaegos I simply stopped thinking about that, simply because the development teams behind they game are not going to change that so many years later.

I do think I saw a mod on Nexus that makes it so that the party camp site is in day time but I can not remember the name right now.
lol ..I know it's a different style of game but I was nearly 1/2 way through when I realized KOAR had day/night cycles. I remember wondering about why the graphics looked slightly darker at times and brighter at others. I finally did notice the stars at night but otherwise it's not very obvious. Part of a side quest I recall needed to be done at night, but it was a bit frustrating because there was no way to advance time while in the same area...ie waiting. I could sleep in a bed, but that wasn't reliable either.
I must finish that game. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for all those links. I have looked a some of them and I did read about the .xml file and CharGenMorph app.
Also it was important in the TES games to watch for the requirements of a mod but it is even more important in DAO. ( As is the install method for some mods.
It can't be harder or more time consuming than TES games though with all the external programs, load order sorting and micro-managing and other stuff. Oblivion was more complex in a lot of ways, as far as cosmetic mods anyway. I used the CS to add hair, eyes and other things to my characters (their Races) or Wrye Bash to merge them, but I preferred the CS because I could add only what I wanted and not a full mod with things I didn't want.

As long as the DA:O authors give instructions in their Readme's I think I'll manage :P
And I realize you mentioned that you did not want to use mods the first time, but perhaps you might want to look at these none the less.
thanks Those are good ideas. :) What I meant by game changing was more like overhauls or changed mechanics if such things exist or would ever be needed.
It is also best not to use the Nexus Modmanager, that does not work with most DAO mods. So it is best to either use the updater that comes with the game, ( But that one has no un-install ability. ) or better yet DAO Modmanager.
I've never ever used the NexusMod Manager anyway so that's not an issue. I have already DL'ed the DAO ModManager though.

Should have the game downloaded late Friday early Saturday, so then I can actually look at things properly, in more detail and know what I actually need.

I was thinking about creating a separate thread for my playthrough like we have for Skyrim, OB and MW screenshots etc, so as not to interrupt yours anymore than I already have with questions....lol. Would that bother you?
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote: lol ..I know it's a different style of game but I was nearly 1/2 way through when I realized KOAR had day/night cycles. I remember wondering about why the graphics looked slightly darker at times and brighter at others. I finally did notice the stars at night but otherwise it's not very obvious. Part of a side quest I recall needed to be done at night, but it was a bit frustrating because there was no way to advance time while in the same area...ie waiting. I could sleep in a bed, but that wasn't reliable either.
I must finish that game. I really enjoyed it.
Yeah the lack of being able to sleep outside in KoAR is some what annoying at times, but luckily most quests in the original game can be done at any time you want.
Maigrets wrote:Thanks for all those links. I have looked a some of them and I did read about the .xml file and CharGenMorph app.
Your welcome. :)
Maigrets wrote:It can't be harder or more time consuming than TES games though with all the external programs, load order sorting and micro-managing and other stuff. Oblivion was more complex in a lot of ways, as far as cosmetic mods anyway. I used the CS to add hair, eyes and other things to my characters (their Races) or Wrye Bash to merge them, but I preferred the CS because I could add only what I wanted and not a full mod with things I didn't want.

As long as the DA:O authors give instructions in their Readme's I think I'll manage :P
Yeah most do that, but on occasion you will not find a readme, or it just tells you what it does and/or who made it. ( So basically like with the ElderScrolls games. :grin: )
Maigrets wrote: thanks Those are good ideas. :) What I meant by game changing was more like overhauls or changed mechanics if such things exist or would ever be needed.
Ah I see, but yeah there are mods that do that for DAO.
Maigrets wrote:I've never ever used the NexusMod Manager anyway so that's not an issue. I have already DL'ed the DAO ModManager though.

Should have the game downloaded late Friday early Saturday, so then I can actually look at things properly, in more detail and know what I actually need.
That is always a good idea. :)
Maigrets wrote:I was thinking about creating a separate thread for my playthrough like we have for Skyrim, OB and MW screenshots etc, so as not to interrupt yours anymore than I already have with questions....lol. Would that bother you?
Well it would make it easier to find a post you or I made if we have separate threads ... but at the same time I have no problems if we use this thread together.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Okay I found the mod that sets te party camp site t o day time.

Daytime Camp
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:Okay I found the mod that sets te party camp site t o day time.

Daytime Camp
thanks Not sure if I'll use it yet though. I'd want to see it as it's meant to be first and since I haven't seen it, I wonder if a night time scene would add more atmosphere. Something I doubt I'll be using is the romance options even though it seems to be a big selling point for a lot of players. It's not that I don't have a romantic heart, I do, but in a game it feels weird to me, it doesn't interest me, and I'm probably going to offend the potential candidates anyway....lol. It's something that would need to be extremely well done and if I don't like any of the available characters for whatever reason, :ninja: it's not going to enhance my game. At least I guess the option is there for those who want it, and Bioware seems to have thought of a lot of other things that other rpg makers don't, or are scared to add.

One thing I'm interested to know is how graphically intense the game is. For example if I go adding textures is it going to end up lagging or using too much VRAM. I'm not going to go wild and add textures for everything, but I did find this for world textures which seems like a good compromise:
Theta HD
http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods ... w%3D&pUp=1
All it really does is adjust some of the more LoRes textures to match the rest of the vanilla textures, and by looking at the comparison screenshots there's a big difference. It's not a HD overhaul as such.

I did read that the game is very CPU intensive like the TES games, which doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm interested in stability and on the Bioware forums and some Google searches a lot of people complain about a lot of crashes. Occasional CTD's I can put up with, but I hope it's not too common. I also read similar things about KOAR and that game has only crashed once in well over 120+ hours, which was when I had an issue with Widescreen Fixer in a certain dungeon and was easily remedied. Everyone's experience is different I know, but I just wondered.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote: thanks Not sure if I'll use it yet though. I'd want to see it as it's meant to be first and since I haven't seen it, I wonder if a night time scene would add more atmosphere. Something I doubt I'll be using is the romance options even though it seems to be a big selling point for a lot of players. It's not that I don't have a romantic heart, I do, but in a game it feels weird to me, it doesn't interest me, and I'm probably going to offend the potential candidates anyway....lol. It's something that would need to be extremely well done and if I don't like any of the available characters for whatever reason, :ninja: it's not going to enhance my game. At least I guess the option is there for those who want it, and Bioware seems to have thought of a lot of other things that other rpg makers don't, or are scared to add.
Well if none of those that can be romanced are to your liking, then just make sure you keep their approval rate high enough, otherwise they might leave. If your are in the party camp site and want to talk to your companions ( Which I think you should. :) ) then it is a good idea to save before you talk to them, and after you talked to them. That way if you get a - approval while you want a + approval ( Or vice versa. ) you can reload the before save and try again.
Maigrets wrote:One thing I'm interested to know is how graphically intense the game is. For example if I go adding textures is it going to end up lagging or using too much VRAM. I'm not going to go wild and add textures for everything, but I did find this for world textures which seems like a good compromise:
Theta HD
http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods ... w%3D&pUp=1
All it really does is adjust some of the more LoRes textures to match the rest of the vanilla textures, and by looking at the comparison screenshots there's a big difference. It's not a HD overhaul as such.

I did read that the game is very CPU intensive like the TES games, which doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm interested in stability and on the Bioware forums and some Google searches a lot of people complain about a lot of crashes. Occasional CTD's I can put up with, but I hope it's not too common. I also read similar things about KOAR and that game has only crashed once in well over 120+ hours, which was when I had an issue with Widescreen Fixer in a certain dungeon and was easily remedied. Everyone's experience is different I know, but I just wondered.
Well there are certain area's that can be laggy so to speak, for me for instance several parts of Ostagar lag. Also some parts of Lothering give me some lag, but the moment where I personally notice annoying lag is during the fight for Redcliff down in the village. But despite the lag in certain parts of the game ... for the most part the game plays good for me personally. I have read about the crashes and CTD's, and yeah they can happen but I have played this game around a 120 hours ( Give or take. ) and so far I only hat 2 crashes I believe and 1 or 2 CTD's. ( But that is of course on my computer. ) Not every system is the same so I have no idea why others have hat more crashes and CTD's then me so far.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:
Well if none of those that can be romanced are to your liking, then just make sure you keep their approval rate high enough, otherwise they might leave. If your are in the party camp site and want to talk to your companions ( Which I think you should. :) ) then it is a good idea to save before you talk to them, and after you talked to them. That way if you get a - approval while you want a + approval ( Or vice versa. ) you can reload the before save and try again.
I get the reason for approval since that works in any situation, real life or in a game, except I hate having to suck up to someone to get them to do what I want...lol. But having to romance someone for it....seems ingenuous to me. I believe in treating followers with respect and earning theirs, so we'll see I guess. Depends how "cheesy" the romance thing is if it's forced on me. I always talk to NPC's anyway so there's that.

EDIT: I think not having played a game that requires you to have followers to complete it is one of the things I can't yet get my head around. There seems to be no choice to do anything solo and you have to rely on your companions. It will also depend on how well done these followers are, but I believe they are very good from what I've read. From experience with TES games in particular, I could care less about any of the NPC's and can't remember half of their names because they are so boring, lifeless and obviously scripted. Vanilla followers in TES games are just robots and most other NPC's still insult me even when I saved the world.

I want choices to matter and what I do to have an affect which I'm hoping will happen. Anyway, I'll find out soon...lol
Well there are certain area's that can be laggy so to speak, for me for instance several parts of Ostagar lag. Also some parts of Lothering give me some lag, but the moment where I personally notice annoying lag is during the fight for Redcliff down in the village. But despite the lag in certain parts of the game ... for the most part the game plays good for me personally. I have read about the crashes and CTD's, and yeah they can happen but I have played this game around a 120 hours ( Give or take. ) and so far I only hat 2 crashes I believe and 1 or 2 CTD's. ( But that is of course on my computer. ) Not every system is the same so I have no idea why others have hat more crashes and CTD's then me so far.
I don't mind lag. I put up with a lot of that in some games. It's just that I get so annoyed with TES games and their high potential for crashing and other problems, so I don't want it again because if there's anything that puts me off a game it's crashing for no good reason that I can see. My current playthrough of Skyrim was perfect until recently when it started to freeze instead of crash....in a conversation with the mage at the College. Stupid things like that aggravate me. We had just fought a dragon with all my companions, the mages at the College and some soldiers and it was fine, but later when I talked to Tolfdir it froze...Not even in an intensive fight or something, but a conversation. ;-((