Dragon Age: Inquisition - Now Working

Discuss games other than the Elder Scrolls series here.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

The PC version is apparently getting a patch tomorrow (9th Dec.) According to a post in this thread, the patch is so big they have to split it into multiple parts.
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inq ... -p/4093356

Goodness only knows what it includes as there doesn't seem to be a changelog anywhere. Would be nice if they also included a fix for dual core CPU's. Despite that EA insist it won't run on Dual Core, a fair number of people do and have said so on the forums. There's a 3rd party injector that works for some people (I haven't tried) so why can't EA do the same...but patched into the game.

I wouldn't mind betting that the main issue they fix is the lack of bantering by followers and the main character gender change bug because that's more important than severe performance problems on all systems. /sarcasm. If the patch is so big...it makes one wonder how much they knew of the problems before release.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

I had read the first patch will probably not fix the party banter as they still haven't found a definitive way to fix it, but maybe that's changed? :o
Maigrets
Admin

Gork712 wrote:I had read the first patch will probably not fix the party banter as they still haven't found a definitive way to fix it, but maybe that's changed? :o
Apparently not, but some players on the forums have been able to work around and make it work temporarily.

Anyway, here's the latest info from the Bioware Blog re the patch that's due later today. A full changelog will follow later. They are doing something about the PC UI and controls which will make a lot of people happy.

BIOWARE Blog
http://blog.bioware.com/2014/12/08/upco ... ragon-age/

A lot of performance and bug fixes as well. The actual Tech Help part of the forum is down as I'm typing this, but I'm waiting to see if the posters who have "power" PC's get better performance and what people say about results of the patch in general.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Maigrets
Admin

Well the patch is live but I haven't downloaded it myself yet...a thunderstorm is threatening so I'm going to wait until that's well and truly over.

I don't really expect to be able to run the game myself anyway, especially in light of the complaints and requests on the forum to roll back the patch because it's made things worse. Players who could previously play without too many issues now can't launch the game.

It's like a Divine Comedy of errors. Apparently the graphics have been drastically reduced so that even on Ultra they look like crap with low detail. The character creation has lost most of it's features like scars, freckles and worse, existing characters are completely messed up. Then the hair that everyone was complaining about is now super shiny on Ultra.

This the best one that several people have reported though... :-o It's Murphy's Law that this will happen to me. It's just inevitable I have Windows 7 x64 as well. (Murphy's law is an adage or epigram that is typically stated as: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.)
Today I was noticfied by origin that Dragon Age Inquisition has a new avaiable update, so I clicked update and it prompts me with the error "Please check your operating system; WE're sorry, Dragon Age Inquisition will not run on your current operating system. You'll need to upgrade to Windows Vista 6.0 to play."

I've played the game previously for over 7 hours and I am running Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1.

This is clearly a mistaken error, is there a way to fix this?
Maigrets
Admin

Surprise....The game works. :-)

The only trouble I've had is the lagging cut scenes and menus but that seems to be across the board for almost everyone. Once I got past the very long intro which lagged a lot in places the game runs very well so far even with a lot of magic effects. Graphics are on medium, low shadows and AA etc, and I don't seem to have the shiny hair thing. I may have to make some adjustments.

I imagine the game looks spectacular on High or Ultra but it still looks fine to me on Medium. The character models are very good I think. Don't really know what people are complaining about there.

The controls take a lot of getting used to. Holding down RMB to look around is a pain but otherwise it plays much like any action game. Haven't tried the tactical combat option yet, but from what people say it's not really necessary. However, I have only just started. I have read that using a controller is a good option for this game, so I may do that to make it easier to move and look around.

Because the menus lag so much and input when clicking on an option takes about 15 seconds to register I didn't actually get to customize my character, but she's an Elf mage and I named her Rhiann.

I was unable to log into the EA servers, but that's a general complaint on the forums as well. I was able to play so maybe that's only for multiplayer.

The true test will be if I can load my saves I guess, but I may try anew game and see if I can manage to get through the menus and customize my character as I would like. I just have to make sure NOT to click on anything until the thing I want has loaded. :-o

Anyway, I took some screenshots which I'll post later.
Maigrets
Admin

Changed the Title of the thread since the game now works. See above post if interested. However, I haven't played again to confirm it will continue to run, but I had no crashes or problems besides the laggy menus and choppy cut scenes and even that wasn't for the entire videos. Quite frankly I was amazed that it did work as I didn't expect it to.

FYI ...My system specs which will probably surprise some especially how little RAM I have and the game runs perfectly fine..so far played about an hour, excluding the cut scenes. Just goes to prove a Quad isn't absolutely compulsory.

AMD Phenom X3 Triple Core 8450
DFI LANPARTY DK 790FX
Geil GX22GB6400DC 2GB Kit (I now have an extra GB of ram so still totaling only 3)
GTX550 Ti Direct CU 1GB Vram
Realtek ALC885 8 channel HD
700w Thermaltake PSU
LG Flatron 22" 1680x1050 resolution in game
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

As you can see those specs are pretty meagre, but I can run the game on medium settings with an acceptable fps, albeit without high shadows and reduced AA and blur etc.

I've never played a game that has party mechanics so that's taking some getting used to, but I'll get there I imagine.
Maigrets
Admin

OK, so here are a couple of screenshots to prove I was able to play with my system. Unfortunately, due to all the shit that's gone on over this game release I find I've lost the desire to even play it again, let alone enjoy it. Maybe next year IF they actually fix all the bugs.

Even though I had pretty good fps at that point and no crashes or other issues, the awful delays in menus would drive me crazy very quickly and I didn't play long enough to experience the bugged quests and other game breaking issues I've read about. The patch made it worse for a lot of people who previously had no problems, but by some strange quirk of fate it let me actually play for the first time since I got the game.

There's no close up of my character and she's a default selection because the menus were so unresponsive. This is something I don't understand. I would have thought the actual game itself would be more demanding, not the menus and cut scenes which stutter most of the way through.

Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

The game world itself looks pretty good, but as I mentioned some where else on these forums ... the characters look odd. They look way to shiny for my taste, I have seen some of the player screenshots on the Dragon Nexus and quit a few characters hat also way to shiny hair. I also still think they made the in game HUD way to modern, for my feelings it just does not fit with a game genre like this?
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:The game world itself looks pretty good, but as I mentioned some where else on these forums ... the characters look odd. They look way to shiny for my taste, I have seen some of the player screenshots on the Dragon Nexus and quit a few characters hat also way to shiny hair. I also still think they made the in game HUD way to modern, for my feelings it just does not fit with a game genre like this?
The world does look very pretty even on medium with all the fancy graphic lighting and motion blur etc turned off or on low. The characters do look shiny I guess and more so with Ultra graphics, so I've read.

I was playing a mage and I found out there is NO healing magic..at all, not even a basic healing spell. The only thing you have is a barrier spell a bit like mage armour in Skyrim's Alteration tree. Plus you are limited to 8 healing potions which are for yourself and everyone in the party to share.

Another thing that astounds me is apparently there is no storage chest so you are constantly managing your inventory. For such a big game and all that you would be collecting that is ludicrous.

As far as the HUD goes, the game plays more like a MMO than what you would be experiencing in Origins, and I tend to agree with your opinion about how it looks. They said they were making a game for PC for PC players but it is definitely a console game. I've seen people say it's better played with a controller. Even so they did make some basic changes to the HUD, but I didn't see it before so I can't say how it was then.

Anyway, I'm going to uninstall it and get back the 25GB. I can use that space for something else.
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

There is one healing and one revival spell, but you only get the healing spell as part of an advanced skill tree further into the game.
Also you can get some more potions using inquisition perks at the war table. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Gork712 wrote:There is one healing and one revival spell, but you only get the healing spell as part of an advanced skill tree further into the game.
Also you can get some more potions using inquisition perks at the war table. :)
Well that's different to posts I've seen on the forums and in that case it's still pretty stupid to have it so far advanced in the skill tree. A healing spell is advanced? :? Most games start you with a simple healing ability, not put it so far out of reach as to make it useless, especially in a party orientated game. I know this isn't most games, but that's not well thought out at all.

What about storage then? Is there actually somewhere to store gear and things you would want to keep as in every other decent rpg in history, because I see a lot of requests for it.

I know you can restock potions etc as I already found a restock chest on the bridge. I took something from it and I can't remember now what it was, and I'm pretty sure it was potions.

Moot point anyway. Like tons of other people I'm pretty annoyed with how this release has gone, and my interest in the game has dropped to zero. At least I proved it can be run on less than Quad core and with less than optimal memory as my specs show above. EA deserves all the anger and bile everyone gives them, and more.
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

My guess is they didn't want to cheapen the experience by having magic healing power to overcome any fight, kinda like dark souls. :)
There isn't storage an i also find this odd, hopefully they will add it in an update or something, they did say they were going to finish and add a bunch of cut content for free in future patches and updates. Its certainly wanted by the community.

Its a real shame that you have had such a bad experience with the game though, it might be a good idea to just leave the game for now and let it get a few patches and updates under its belt and then come back to it, because once you get past all the problems it really is a good game.
Maigrets
Admin

Gork712 wrote:My guess is they didn't want to cheapen the experience by having magic healing power to overcome any fight, kinda like dark souls. :)
A healing spell, even a basic one to start with should be part of a mage character's arsenal. I don't see how it's cheap when you may not even have a good opportunity to cast it in an intense fight. It would be an option at least. Just imagine if this was a real life world. Wouldn't the first spell a magic user learned be how to heal themselves since usually they are glass cannons?

As far as Dark Souls 2, are you kidding? :) yes, items like life gems can be OP and you can choose not to use them if you feel they are cheap, but to use healing spells you need to invest in Faith. I generally play melee characters, especially since the nerfs on magic and Lightning Spears, which I agree was cheap way to power through the game. I have more fun getting in enemies faces with my weapons that casting spells from a distance and I'm pretty good at the game if I do say myself, especially when I watch some of the Youtube Let's Plays. And some of them are experienced Souls players. :)

A couple of my characters do have enough Faith to use Great Heal and other buffs, but you can't use those heals in fights unless you want to die immediately. I rely on my weapons and a certain amount of skill to get me through.

Dark Souls 2 is a very different game that really can't be compared to DA:I. Besides, as I've discovered the better experience with DKS2 is in NG+ and NG is really the training ground for the real game.

Different stokes, I guess. Any game can be as hard or easy as you make it. At least the Souls series doesn't have casual mode you can switch to mid fight if it's too hard, and you can't load a previous save if you mess up.
There isn't storage an i also find this odd, hopefully they will add it in an update or something, they did say they were going to finish and add a bunch of cut content for free in future patches and updates. Its certainly wanted by the community.
This is EA's greed all over again. If they had given Bioware the time to polish the game, even if it was delayed several months, all the big problems, like not even being able to launch the game for weeks even on PC's with well above specs, this wouldn't be happening, and since it was one of the more expensive games, at least here in Australia, EA should be ashamed.

Added free content sounds good, but I bet by the time they get around to it most people will have moved on to games like Witcher 3, which I predict won't be unplayable at release like this game. They need to fix game breaking bugs before thinking about adding content.

EA haven't even apologized to their loyal fans as Ubisoft did for what happened with their latest releases. I'm not a big fan of Ubisoft either, but at least they had the nerve to admit their mistakes this time.
Its a real shame that you have had such a bad experience with the game though, it might be a good idea to just leave the game for now and let it get a few patches and updates under its belt and then come back to it, because once you get past all the problems it really is a good game.
Other than I couldn't even launch the game until after the patch I haven't really had a bad experience with the game except the god awful menu delays which make it frustrating to play, but I would have been furious to come across the bugged quests and other glitches that everyone talks about. That would have been the last straw.

Like I said by the time they patch the game to what it should have been which could take months, many people would have moved on and forgotten about this one. The fact that it got Game of the Year from "paid" reviewers and none of them mentioned the problems on PC and consoles, is shady practice. After all, EA was caught out for paying reviewers on past games. Besides, it's a huge game, how many reviewers would have played long enough to discover quest bugs and other glitches and give an informed opinion.
Maigrets
Admin

This is just one thread that shows how disappointed and angry people are and are shelving the game. The silence from EA is not helping. I however don't agree with the posters who say EA should give a date for updates as that's asking for trouble, but otherwise I agree with everything else.
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inq ... -p/4079688

Apparently the problems with Ubisoft's AC Unity made the BBC news, but very little if anything besides the banter bug has been reported anywhere on the Net about this game.

I have nothing further to say about it here, but I am going to point out some things elsewhere.