Skyrim Realswords Project!

This has it's own category. Do not post anything unrelated or off topic here.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

to be honest, even if you disagree with it smithing skill is now canon. if im a lvl 100 smithing thats the same as me being a super amazing no one can match my skill lvl 100 blade. if you have 100 smithing you are a master smith/armor/blade maker. i honestly think you will be shooting yourself in the foot if you limit what the player can do. please make multiple versions one of which being a smithable/temperable version so they will lvl with the rest of the world. There is no reason not to imho. I am also for the ability to re craft an old blade to worn, worn to new.
Just having 100 in a "skill" doesn't make you a master smith. It's just a number in a skill that's broken. As far as canon goes, crafting needs an extreme overhaul before it can be remotely called a good addition to the game and become "canon."

The whole crafting element in Skyrim is just an exploit and as such can cripple your character. That goes for smithing and enchanting. The whole craft a 100+ daggers or enchant a 100 silver rings with petty gems to reach the highest level is stupid to say the least. It's a cheat system to satisfy the casual gamer and has no place in real role playing. If one were actually role playing, how can anyone become a smith, within that role, with a couple of 100 clicks and no real skill elements, requirements or challenge. You shouldn't be able to buy any and all kinds of metals and leathers etc from the vendors except the lower types like iron and steel. Otherwise why even bother having mining axes and ore deposits when you can just spam the vendors.

It's like Bethesda saw requests for these things, copied ideas from other games but had no idea how to implement them. Other, and much older games do it properly with restrictions on when certain levels can be reached and other requisites, like special, hard to obtain materials etc.

I do agree that old blades can be improved by sharpening, (not made new though.) My father used to do it all the time with knives and wood cutting axes etc. He had all the same tools, a grindstone and a forge as he was also a farrier, so it's not unrealistic imo.

The difficulty with this forging vs not forging lies with the different stages of blades as Waalx made them and the different system that Skyrim has as compared to Oblivion where weapons and armour degraded and had to be repaired. Skyrim's system is much more limited in some areas and lacking for it.

Anyway, the higher damage would be my preference if you don't allow tempering, but to counteract getting high level weapons too early they would need to be leveled, and I personally hate level scaling. Or put them in high level dungeons to make it harder to get them. None of these things will matter to the people who will just console add them anyway so of course it's up to you.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
shingouki
Admin

Maigrets wrote:
to be honest, even if you disagree with it smithing skill is now canon. if im a lvl 100 smithing thats the same as me being a super amazing no one can match my skill lvl 100 blade. if you have 100 smithing you are a master smith/armor/blade maker. i honestly think you will be shooting yourself in the foot if you limit what the player can do. please make multiple versions one of which being a smithable/temperable version so they will lvl with the rest of the world. There is no reason not to imho. I am also for the ability to re craft an old blade to worn, worn to new.
Just having 100 in a "skill" doesn't make you a master smith. It's just a number in a skill that's broken. As far as canon goes, crafting needs an extreme overhaul before it can be remotely called a good addition to the game and become "canon."

The whole crafting element in Skyrim is just an exploit and as such can cripple your character. That goes for smithing and enchanting. The whole craft a 100+ daggers or enchant a 100 silver rings with petty gems to reach the highest level is stupid to say the least. It's a cheat system to satisfy the casual gamer and has no place in real role playing. If one were actually role playing, how can anyone become a smith, within that role, with a couple of 100 clicks and no real skill elements, requirements or challenge. You shouldn't be able to buy any and all kinds of metals and leathers etc from the vendors except the lower types like iron and steel. Otherwise why even bother having mining axes and ore deposits when you can just spam the vendors.

It's like Bethesda saw requests for these things, copied ideas from other games but had no idea how to implement them. Other, and much older games do it properly with restrictions on when certain levels can be reached and other requisites, like special, hard to obtain materials etc.

I do agree that old blades can be improved by sharpening, (not made new though.) My father used to do it all the time with knives and wood cutting axes etc. He had all the same tools, a grindstone and a forge as he was also a farrier, so it's not unrealistic imo.

The difficulty with this forging vs not forging lies with the different stages of blades as Waalx made them and the different system that Skyrim has as compared to Oblivion where weapons and armour degraded and had to be repaired. Skyrim's system is much more limited in some areas and lacking for it.

Anyway, the higher damage would be my preference if you don't allow tempering, but to counteract getting high level weapons too early they would need to be leveled, and I personally hate level scaling. Or put them in high level dungeons to make it harder to get them. None of these things will matter to the people who will just console add them anyway so of course it's up to you.
Yeah its not a simple problem to solve, and honestly I fee like I'm wasting a little bit too much time on it. Since I went ahead and made them weaker, I'll go for the tempering setup, but I definitely wont go for any kind of reforging.

There was a game I played (that I love) had great roleplay elements related to smithing. There were various smiths in the world, and each one could upgrade your weapon at a basic level, even you could! Each upgrade used upgrade items that were hard to find (rare drops and not often sold). After you reached +5 for the weapon, you would have to "ascend" the weapon. Ascending could only be done by a blacksmith as it would change the nature of the blade. In order to ascend the blade though you would need to get a specific "flame" that the Blacksmith was skilled at using and give it to him/her. They however wouldn't use flames they had no idea how to use.

For example, you could give the magic flame to only the magic blacksmith, and with that magic flame he could turn your basic weapon into a magic blade. But, if you tried to give it to another smith they would say "Well I'd love to take it off your hands, but I'm no good with that kind of flame, ask someone else". It just instilled in me an appreciation for the crafting of an item, where each blade should be crafted by those who know "how" through their careful study of the craft.

Each one of Waalx's blades is crafted with a specific culture behind it you know? The Khajiit blades are made by Khajiit, each with varying influences from two separate Khajiit families. The Nord blades are made by nords, argonians by argonians...and so forth. If you can just jump in the forge and make it, it becomes like "who cares who made this"?

--------------------

Also, Maigrets I'm aware some people will just do whatever they want, but you can only try you know? That game I mentioned stayed true as an RPG from the beginning to the end in story, combat, design, everything. Because of that strong hinging on Roleplay and cohesion, people still respect the game highly and play it how it was meant to be played. There were a few exploits here and there, but people tend to avoid using them because of that respect for how great the game is. So essentially I'm hoping to do the same.

Waalx created some amazing work, worthy of a game on its own, so I figure if I treat it with as much care as which it was created, hopefully others will do the same :).

--------------------

As for my work...recently I was just trying to learn more about Skinning and I had to sate my curiousity to see what I could do on my own. I managed to get some cool helms working, but the skinning is not all that good since I'm new at this...but I understand a bit more about "how it works" now. Since my curiousity is sated, I'm going to focus on getting the Gladiator module working next :).
Maigrets
Admin

Each one of Waalx's blades is crafted with a specific culture behind it you know? The Khajiit blades are made by Khajiit, each with varying influences from two separate Khajiit families. The Nord blades are made by nords, argonians by argonians...and so forth. If you can just jump in the forge and make it, it becomes like "who cares who made this"?
I'm very much aware of this fact. Thanks all the same for the lesson. I've been using WAC and RealSwords, been here at this forum since 2008, and had many long discussions with Alex over that time, more than enough to know what it's about.
Also, Maigrets I'm aware some people will just do whatever they want, but you can only try you know? That game I mentioned stayed true as an RPG from the beginning to the end in story, combat, design, everything. Because of that strong hinging on Roleplay and cohesion, people still respect the game highly and play it how it was meant to be played. There were a few exploits here and there, but people tend to avoid using them because of that respect for how great the game is. So essentially I'm hoping to do the same.

Waalx created some amazing work, worthy of a game on its own, so I figure if I treat it with as much care as which it was created, hopefully others will do the same :).
I would expect nothing less, but I think you have a very wrong impression of what I was saying, which wasn't only to you.

Anyway, it's up to you of course and in case you missed it I did say in previous posts that you and any modder should stay true to their vision and do what they want rather than what the user wants, even if problems occur. Just that "sometimes" it can be easier to go with the flow on some things for the sake of peace. Not that you have to do that obviously.

I'll stay out of it in future. Whatever happens in the future is between you and Alex, and the mod users.
Nice job so far though as I'm still using the Beta version.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Jamez820
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

deleted
shingouki
Admin

Maigrets wrote:
I'm very much aware of this fact. Thanks all the same for the lesson. I've been using WAC and RealSwords, been here at this forum since 2008, and had many long discussions with Alex over that time, more than enough to know what it's about.

I would expect nothing less, but I think you have a very wrong impression of what I was saying, which wasn't only to you.

Anyway, it's up to you of course and in case you missed it I did say in previous posts that you and any modder should stay true to their vision and do what they want rather than what the user wants, even if problems occur. Just that "sometimes" it can be easier to go with the flow on some things for the sake of peace. Not that you have to do that obviously.

I'll stay out of it in future. Whatever happens in the future is between you and Alex, and the mod users.
Nice job so far though as I'm still using the Beta version.
Ah Maigrets when I said that, I too didn't mean you at all. I know you know more about Realswords and WAC than even I do, I look up to you a lot in your knowledge, good taste, and suggestions overall. You're one the reason this forum still has still stayed together all this time, so please don't think I meant anything negative towards you. I'm sorry if it came across insulting in some way...towards you or anyone.

I'm just trying to make a nice mod port using Waalx's work, that's enjoyable for everyone :(.
Maigrets
Admin

Shingouki, please see PM. Hopefully this is sorted and misunderstandings squashed. :)
shingouki
Admin

Managed to scale this one just right... =)

Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

Looks a little short in terms of the leather handle and his hand positions, or maybe its just the way he is holding it. :o
Also are you planning to do this for all the realsword collections?
Jamez820
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

deleted
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

Aha, didnt see that part. :>
WizardOfAtlantis
Steady Sworduser
Born in: 1971

Gork712 wrote:Looks a little short in terms of the leather handle and his hand positions, or maybe its just the way he is holding it. :o
Realistically, longer leather would actually impede your right hand from sliding up and down the weapon haft as you swing, switch/shift to and from a parrying/deflecting position, etc, which is how wooden handled/shafted weapons are commonly used around the world. Only the character's left or bottom hand would be "fixed" into place on a "regular" basis.

So, it might be pure happenstance, but the model works as is for me for these reasons.

Speaking of armor, I am dying to have Waalx's iron armor ported. That's the armor I have had in my sig over on the Nexus for what seems like ever now....all those belts, pouches...truly a thing of beauty and realism. :-D-)
shingouki
Admin

WizardOfAtlantis wrote:
Gork712 wrote:Looks a little short in terms of the leather handle and his hand positions, or maybe its just the way he is holding it. :o
Realistically, longer leather would actually impede your right hand from sliding up and down the weapon haft as you swing, switch/shift to and from a parrying/deflecting position, etc, which is how wooden handled/shafted weapons are commonly used around the world. Only the character's left or bottom hand would be "fixed" into place on a "regular" basis.

So, it might be pure happenstance, but the model works as is for me for these reasons.

Speaking of armor, I am dying to have Waalx's iron armor ported. That's the armor I have had in my sig over on the Nexus for what seems like ever now....all those belts, pouches...truly a thing of beauty and realism. :-D-)
Here's the thing guys. Anything that used Oblivion as a Base...I can't port. It's just a legal no-no. So if you see any armors you like that used Oblivion stuff as a base...you can expect it not to appear.

I will (hopefully at least) use Waalx's base concepts and bring in similar things in Skyrim. So you might not see the exact same armors but you'll see something with a simliar feel.

As for the Marauder armors, I'm still struggling at learning how to skin stuff, so at most it will probably be the helms first when I learn how to properly do skinning.
After that I will try my best to bring in the armor... It's hard though because Skyrim's skeleton and Oblivion's skeleton (the T-pose) aren't the same. So everything has to be kind of "refitted".

It all depends on how much I can learn about 3D modeling too though. I'm still very new at all of this, and I'm surprised I've even come this far. But I am learning and trying my best.

I have a new version I've been testing too...I've added the weapons to more leveled lists so you'll see them more often in hand placed areas(hopefully). But I'm trying to get a balance between old and worn weapons for bandits. Also, all the weapons allow for sharpening, but none can/will be forgeable. Just buy them or find them in the wild in classic WAC style ;).
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

To be honest i never really liked the armour designs of oblivion anyway so i dont mind that, but what i really liked were the accessories like belts and pouches and the lower leg tartan things on some of the legs, or random metal plates that gave the feel of customised equipment.

The WAC variants of the armour were great but since they used oblivion sets as a base i understand that they cant be ported.
Would be awesome to see those translated over to skyrim armours but i wouldnt want to add requests onto your already hard work with the sword designs. :)

The Marauder and armoured robe sets were fantastic, probably the best armour ive seen for oblivion (most other sets people had made were skimpy or animeish which just didnt look quite right).
WizardOfAtlantis
Steady Sworduser
Born in: 1971

oh, no! heartbreak...no iron armor variant... :hang:

I had no idea it was based on Oblivion stuff...it was so cut-above-the-rest (like everything else in WAC but you get my point).

The sharpening-but-no-forging angel will work all right, I think. It's not hard to find them in the world, after all. Finding more laying around on tables, etc, will be a truly great step along in immersion.

Do I remember correctly reading about different handles/hilts as variations on swords or am I just imagining that? If that were the case, that would give you simple forging options for a basic "upgrade", if you will. That was done, historically speaking. Blades were often trashed, ritualistically broken or interred with the recently deceased. The hilt, however, was often passed on through the family as it was the "work of art" and treasure, so to speak. Improved hilt design could lead to greater speed, power, translated into a more powerful weapon. Smiths would still be needed for the actual blades, all just like in olden days.

Anyway, it was just an idea I thought I'd mention.
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

So where are you on this terrific project...
One question: are those sword going to be forged?
Anyway good luck and let us know when this awaited mod will be available.
As per making those swords available through a quest, I think it is a terrific idea...Two of those swords have already a place in my upcoming mod "The singing soul"...if of course you let me use those ones...

Thanks mate
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

I think you probably could get the iron armour if someone made it from scratch rather than ported it but i guess thats the only option other than give up. :p
Jamez820
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

deleted
Maigrets
Admin

Couple of pics showing the Draugr using the weapons. Poor Farkas. :-(

First closeup with an axe.

Deathlord and his buddy.

shingouki
Admin

Wow thanks for the shots Maigrets. It fits in better than I thought it would!

I might try to edit the Draugr Skeleton if I can manage to figure out how...and make the weapons they equip bigger.

The original concept design for the Draugr had them wielding huge weapons to begin with, so I think it will work without looking awkward.

Not to gloat but I like how the blood on that looks, it really feels like the blade was used and used well.

Do you feel like the Nord blades are overpowering in relation to draugr or does it feel appropriate?

Also, to keep with the lore of the game, I think I will keep the other race's old blades from appearing on Draugr, however I want to customize skeletons a bit to allow them to use those blades instead...

Some Skeleton/Undead bandits for example....and I might pull up this file I made before to make something interesting :-D-) :

Undead Skin:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/ ... zombie.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/ ... 000041.jpg

But I got to take it a step at a time. Nord official release version coming soon :).
Maigrets
Admin

Not to gloat but I like how the blood on that looks, it really feels like the blade was used and used well.

Do you feel like the Nord blades are overpowering in relation to draugr or does it feel appropriate?
Oh, they use them well, don't worry about that. :grin: No I don't think they are overpowered with those weapons,but the Deathlords are a pain at the moment. That might be because my current character is light armoured and my previous one was heavy and had no trouble at all with them, but she was ten levels higher as well. And I have everything enchanted. That was before RS as well.

That Deathlord has an Old Gotland and the others have worn ones (I think it was anyway. Sorry I didn't take notice of the name) or at least a couple of the others did. In those pics there were a lot of other Draugr behind me...lol...thank goodness for the console for capturing action pics.

Edit: I should mention I'm using a hi res texture replacer for blood and it does look good.