A Question for Current Members Re Future of this Forum

Waalx
Forum Master
Born in: 1973

Fessels wrote:
Waalx wrote:Fessels, yeah you can do that if you want. It's probably going to start some kind of bickering about what I did, why WAC was only released on here and so forth, but honestly I couldn't care less now what's being said there, as I wouldn't care back then for the same reasons... :)

Thanks
Okay i will make the thread and wait to see what happens, thanks Waalx.

EDIT: Here is the link to the thread on the Oblivion mods forum.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/140518 ... e-mod-wac/

EDIT 2: I just saw this post from DarkRider, who is a member of the TESA Team.
TES Alliance would happily host Waalx Animals & Creatures with his permission of course. We offer an array of free services to all modders from forums, to blogs, to file hosting and our unlimited bandwidth and storage making us a good alternative for hosting large files in particular.
TES Alliance

If you choose to place it on TESA Waalx, then i have at the moment no idea how to continue though. ( Beside contacting DarkRider of course. )
ok thanks for all that.

The fact is that I have the latest files (until I stopped working on them) with me here on my netbook. The problem is that I have no way to repackage it as a proper release on this rig. I can't even run Oblivion on this machine, and I'm not able to use the Construction Set either since the graphic card is too weak. And as I can't even test the stuff myself before giving away the "latest" files, I'm really not inclined to do any of it. Hey if I package something that doesn't work what's the point?

If memory serve though I had made some advancement and cleaned things up a bit, as well as adding a few new things. Many of the patches that were made wouldn't be needed anymore as I fixed that stuff locally. So I guess it's worth a shot if somebody want to rebuild a BSA archive and release what I have. For the moment however I have no way to upload it at all. Internet in Fiji mainland is usually "not that fast", but on the small Mana Island where I live now it's excruciatingly slow - Downloading a 10 mb files take about 4 hours, and that's if I can do it at all. So uploading all the WAC files that are close to 2gb now is in the realm of NO WAY. hehe

Another problem is that I don't know at all when I'm going to be move out of Fiji. I like it here, I made some great friends, the diving is great, I have made deals around and now I don't even pay for my accommodations/food anymore. So I have a couple of other problems other than the fact I cant upload the files themselves.

I guess the solution could be for the people that want to host a release to do it on a temp basis with what was already released until I can get the things out of my netbook to them. For that they can do it on their own. Consider my permission is already given to anyone that want to do it, as long as they don't try and say they did the mod themselves...hehe

About the permission to use WAC material as resources, that still bug me even now. WAC is it's own resource and product. As soon as it start to be taken apart it will cease to be what it was made to be, that is, something that can stand on it's own. It was meant to be an alternative to the other overhauls out there, not to be taken apart and used in other projects. Oblivion is over 6 years old game now. The craze is gone. The remaining mod authors shouldn't try to leach older project if they want to do something, but make their own NEW stuff. I guess most hardcore Oblivion player now may have seen what I did. Re-using my stuff isn't going to make it as if you're making new things; WAC have been out there for years already.

I always said that if you want to use WAC stuff you can as long as the new mod is based on WAC as a platform. That still stand. It's still the best options as then it allow people to use EVERYTHING that is in WAC, and that's a lot of stuff and a lot of things to choose from. And now that WAC will probably be released elsewhere it's still a very good option I think. Anyway, that's my point of view on the matter. What happen next is a matter of the other people integrity on this. I've worked over 2 years on that thing, it still trouble me to think that it would be ripped apart and become something that was in opposition to my initial intention.

Otherwise the version of WAC that is out now can be released, as I explained I cannot do anything else to provide the "latest" at the moment.

Cheers
anohosikara
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand

I strive to properly understand the speech of Waalx. astar
Khettienna
Fumbling Sworduser

Waalx wrote:
I always said that if you want to use WAC stuff you can as long as the new mod is based on WAC as a platform. That still stand. It's still the best options as then it allow people to use EVERYTHING that is in WAC, and that's a lot of stuff and a lot of things to choose from. And now that WAC will probably be released elsewhere it's still a very good option I think. Anyway, that's my point of view on the matter. What happen next is a matter of the other people integrity on this. I've worked over 2 years on that thing, it still trouble me to think that it would be ripped apart and become something that was in opposition to my initial intention.

Otherwise the version of WAC that is out now can be released, as I explained I cannot do anything else to provide the "latest" at the moment.

Cheers
Hi Waalx I'm posting as a rep for TES Alliance as I have an account here :)
From Dark Rider, "We will happily host WAC on TESA in its current state so that Oblivion players can continue to enjoy your creative works. When/if you get the chance to get us the updated material we can easily update in your stead. You will retain full authorship of course and we will maintain the file according to your statements here. Under permissions we'll follow what you have already established, WAC is not resource material unless dependent on WAC and we'll take action on your behalf if that license is violated; quoting most of what you said here as it pertains to WAC's hosting. If there's anything else we can do for you please let us know! webmaster[at]tesalliance[dot]org

Enjoy your adventure, I'm jealous! :woot:"

[EDIT] We have uploaded WAC to TES Alliance with Waalx's permissions, the file can now be found here: http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php ... creatures/ we attempted to maintain the integrity of what was posted on the forum here with the latest update from Waalx about resources. We also made an ID for Waalx so he maintains authorship for her entire visit with us. If Waalx, or any of his representatives wish the file to come down at any time, or wish some edits/changes to be made to the file page, please PM DarkRider on TESA or BGS

Thank you for sharing your wonderful mod Waalx! :celebrate:
Waalx
Forum Master

Thanks man!

I'm grateful for all this. Rest assured that as soon as I can provide the updated material I will do so.

I checked the page and everything seems to be in order except the Read-Me that is sorely out of date. I read that thing again, and it's a real shame that I didn't re-wrote it back then for the beta version, what was on there was for the alpha release... I will try and think of something to replace that old thing. I may not be able to work on the mod itself now, but I can at least write a an updated Read-Me. :)

Other than that, I was thinking today and I think I still need more time to decide to close the forum. Probably it's going to stay as it is now, so all of the people that are already registered can still post on here if they want, and otherwise the forum will be read-only for new people.

Please give my thanks to the people in charge at TESA, I guess I mean Dark Rider, to have acted by my requests and for the fact he made the mod available so promptly. Cheers to that.

Thanks again.
Khettienna
Fumbling Sworduser

Our pleasure and we'll take good care of her for you!

Some users have already inquired about some patches that were made for WAC by "anishok ...something". We will honor your stance whatever it is, but so we know, do you want patches made for WAC included/linked with the download? Or just left out?
Waalx
Forum Master

Khettienna wrote:Our pleasure and we'll take good care of her for you!

Some users have already inquired about some patches that were made for WAC by "anishok ...something". We will honor your stance whatever it is, but so we know, do you want patches made for WAC included/linked with the download? Or just left out?
As long as it doesn't go against the wish of the author (s) of the patches, I think they should be provided there as well.

When I send the latest files, hopefully most of them will not be needed anymore.
Khettienna
Fumbling Sworduser

Sounds great! Thank you again, not just for trusting us with your work, but for creating WAC to begin with, it makes Oblivion so much richer and we the masses are grateful!!
Gekko64
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

thank you for everything Waalx! have a great life! :)
Psymon
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

Waalx wrote: About the permission to use WAC material as resources, that still bug me even now. WAC is it's own resource and product. As soon as it start to be taken apart it will cease to be what it was made to be, that is, something that can stand on it's own. It was meant to be an alternative to the other overhauls out there, not to be taken apart and used in other projects. Oblivion is over 6 years old game now. The craze is gone. The remaining mod authors shouldn't try to leach older project if they want to do something, but make their own NEW stuff. I guess most hardcore Oblivion player now may have seen what I did. Re-using my stuff isn't going to make it as if you're making new things; WAC have been out there for years already.

Cheers
Hi Waalx, not sure if you are gone again, but wanted to post this.

I just wanted to maybe reply to this by pointing out a similar case. With Skyrim there is a mod project called Monster Mod (by a totally different modder than did the ones for Oblivion): http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9694

It contains a ton of new stuff and Dogtown shows great talent in crafting new creature models (some better than others, but generally good). There are those though who don't like the non-lore creatures and so have asked for removers and alterations. Another modder, Jackstar, has created alternate esp plugins for the MM esm that changes the leveled lists to be more lore friendly. It always requires the MM esm and the author of MM esm has even given permission for yet another scheme for an overhaul with even more drastic changes provided it too uses the MM esm as a master and is itself untouched.

So when you write that WAC is to be the platform, does that mean just the esm or the esm and esp as well?

Taking this a bit further. I think that this is the nature of modding: To alter the work of others. Modders are altering the work of Bethesda and are allowed to do so because they gave us the ability and permission to do so. Modders have also modded and improved (and other times ruined) the work of other modders as well. Mod users have altered their mods by simply adding other mods into the mix that aren't even directly mastered off the already installed mods. I think it the nature of the game, so to speak.

I totally understand if you would have liked to have seen WAC remain vision pure and separate from the activities of the Bethesda forums, but the nature of the game and the amount of mods that can be added - there is nothing but room for more change. This is expanded on by the tools available and the ease at which what used to be only available to the very computer literate.

But don't lose heart this actually can be a very good thing. It was by using FCOM that I learned what a cool overhaul Fransesco is. People will see the quality in the work and will want to get more at that. I've combined WAC with OWCND. Now while OWCND has some good things in it - looking at the creature models side by side it was like night and day. It made me question why I was combining to begin with. The point is that people are as likely to see the quality when the combine as when they don't. If anything Oblivion has stood the test of time in proving that it is a re-playable game. From what I've observed those who start with mod greed eventually start pairing down and using what they consider quality.

I think the combinations will still be desired by some and that since WAC has had as its focus on only being additive that is what makes people want to mix in mods that do alter the base game more so. There is much that is buggy about vanilla magic, combat , and stealth. As I recall you even stated at one point that you would have wanted to overhaul the level scaling in WAC, but didn't get around to it. So as people look at what mods they can add these are areas they will want to change. Being additive makes WAC very combinable (new word).

I guess what I'm saying is please consider these things when you hear of patches and combining of overhauls and maybe even if you get approached by someone who wants to work on WAC as a base mod for something else.

thanks for what you have done - all the best.
Waalx
Forum Master

"WAC as a platform" means using the BSA ad Esm, same as in the example you gave up-there.

It's been like that since the beginning, and also I have always welcomed the fact that anybody can do their own patch and modify WAC to their own taste as long as they just release their patch and not try to repackage the whole WAC itself with their change. Also I wrote in the Read-me that I would include such a patch in WAC itself should somebody provide me with something.

Hope that clear things out for you. Maybe I wasn't clear enough... ;)

On another note, you may have noticed that the forum is now available to be read with being logged-in, so it's now Read-Only, with the only difference that if you are a registered user already you can still post and comment and create new topics as before.

That way the Skyrim forum that you guys created can still be of use if you want, and the old ones pertaining to my work as well, although about those it's more or less for nostalgia sake that they remain. Anyway, everything's still open to you old members.
anohosikara
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand

Thank you Waalx. astar

I asked them to divide my file into the page unlike the WAC.

I am praying for your safe journey. :)
And I wait for the latest version of your WAC.

WAC is a great art that you made.

thanks
anohosikara
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand

And thank you Psymon.
I was helped for your words. :)
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

I didn't want to start a new topic just for this question, but has anyone else found the forum to be extremely slow during the last few days or so? There was one day where I got a blank page that said the forum couldn't be found and it has been slow ever since. Clearing my cache in Firefox didn't help.

I should mention that if anything did go wrong and the forum can't be found or there are other seemingly permanent problems there's nothing I can really do about it as I'm not the owner. Besides that I wouldn't know where to start troubleshooting even if I could.

Maybe it's just on my end and it will sort itself out.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Yeah i also noticed that the forums where slow, especially yesterday.
Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.