Old/New request

Folks, post your comments, suggestions and ideas in here!
StarX
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand

Time to make another request. Hm, in fact it is an old request, which I brought up in one of the firsth RS threads on the BethSoft forums: The Heronmark Sword. The reason I bring this one up again is the fact that the author of The Wheel of Time recently passed away, very sad, since WoT was an epic story, with characters you either love or hate and now will probably never be finished. I also learned that Robert Jordan wrote stories for Conan the Barbarian, which may interrest certain people here.

Robert Jordan Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Jordan

Some pics of the word:

Jia
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

Wow, you know i feel bad i completely forgot about that sword. I remember it being brought up ages back when i was looking through the Wheel of Time Pen and Paper rpg sourcebooks.
I was aware that Conan has had a myriad of inspired authors, but i dont think ive read any Conan storys Jordan did.
The Wheel of Time books has such a variety of weapons to choose from among other things. This would indeed make a nice weapon.
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

That is a nice sword :)
"Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos"

"why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
StarX
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand

It sure is and it really can only be wielded by a master in the Blade skill, like I did with a script in my own little Heronmark mod.
Waalx
Forum Master
Born in: 1973

hey this is my 500th post!!

So how come you have an Heronmark mod, and no Heronmark sword in it?

it suck

suck so much that I modeled it for ye

Great huh? don't be so sure. I just modeled it. I won't texture it :P

Since you have Mod Tool, here's your chance to work on UV mapping a sword from scratch! ...and texture it.

niarhaha! (evil laugh)

the XSI file http://waalx.com/Downloads/HeronMark_XSI.rar

Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

That's mean :P

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
Waalx
Forum Master

mean? me? Beware I will change the name of your mace from Mor Macil, to Worm Macil... :P

hey I did the damn blade, right? :Iobject:

in between every thread that ask for every little problem imaginable on Beth forum, didn't you see these threads of people that just do model and then ask for anyone to texture it (in admission that they are too lazy to texture their damn thing themselves?)..well... It's not the case here...!

I just want our StarX to learn the thing....yeah I'm too good I know...! ;)

I think I gave you proof enough that I have no grief texturing steel so far...but this is different.

it's for the greater good dude!
StarX
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand

Heh, thanks a lot man. I will surely give the UV mapping a serious try, I got ModTools installed after all. Great excercise rather than working from base textures. :-)

Before I begin breaking my head over this: are there any good tutorials for UV mapping with XSI ModTools?
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

I was kidding :P I got a request open at BSF as we speak :P

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
Waalx
Forum Master

StarX wrote:Heh, thanks a lot man. I will surely give the UV mapping a serious try, I got ModTools installed after all. Great excercise rather than working from base textures. :-)

Before I begin breaking my head over this: are there any good tutorials for UV mapping with XSI ModTools?
I don't know about that..I'm working since too long in XSI to need an UV tutorial. But Softimage put a lot of new tutorial material on their website, even video tuts.

http://www.softimage.com/products/modtool/learn.aspx

tell you what.

Try to learn it by yourself, and show me yer progress. If I see something wrong I will come back here and write down what you should be doing.
StarX
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand

I watched most of the tut-vids and I don't think there is anything about UV-mapping. I will search for some tuts on the internet.

Could take a while tough, as I'm having a blast with the upcomming Bountyhunter project and learning so much stuff about the CS in the meantime. Except for the corrupt lip sync function it really is a powerfull tool.
Waalx
Forum Master

sorry for the delay in answering in here ;)

I had to check for a good tutorial on uv mapping...nothing I found was ok. I'm sure it exist I just have no time to look.

solution: Either I write a tutorial about uv mapping, or I uv map the sword now.

I'm not ready nor in the mood to write the tutorial I want to make later on, because it's about modeling, uv, texturing, so I would prefer to wait and do it it the right order.

so I will uv map it finally, less long to do for me on a short notice. and since I usually uvmap my blades while building basic textures, you will get a base texture..or maybe a full one. and there's no scabbard yet so I'll have to do that (I have a very interesting idea for that one).
StarX
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand

Ah, that sounds great, man! I would really appreciate it. Right now all of my modding time goes into creating the Bountyhunters plugin and all the related quests.
I also looked around for a good tut on various sites, but couldn't find anything, most of the time you end up with a 3D Max or Blender tutorial.

Thanks for the heads up!
Waalx
Forum Master

first pass on the uv mapping with a base texture. (and the scabbard!). the tip of the scabbard is going to be more detailed with the texture. it's the neck of a heron with the bottom being a stretched wing. so I will paint a wing carving and stuff.

the mouth piece of the scabbard is going to have a small crest that is thisImage embossed in golden.

Waalx
Forum Master

update

Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

Now that looks good :-D-) Not as good as your RS but pretty close :)

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
Waalx
Forum Master

What's not as good? I work the same way I work on my other blades...it's still not finished, the hilt isn't done.

or is it because the sword itself is a decorative sword? On this I agree with the 'not as good' as it's not a REAL sword, but an ornament.
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

I think you can blame the WIP status of it.

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
StarX
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand

Decorative or not: that rox, Alex! You even made a scabbard for it! This makes me wanna spam smileys! :-) :-) :-)

Thanks for doing this one, mate. :)
Waalx
Forum Master

final.

I prefer the blade without the heron on it as opposed to the original. it look more pure like this in my opinion...