RealSwords? Past, present, and future...

Folks, post your comments, suggestions and ideas in here!
Waalx
Forum Master
Born in: 1973

Realswords started out of a personal need to see more blades in Oblivion. I already made some of them and was playing with them, when I had the idea to make more. A lot more. 50 I wanted to do!

But what started out as a couple of models (50) made like this for fun, will turn into the making of an armory designed by each races, factions, monsters, giving them abilities of their own, and putting a lot more personality and authenticity to the characters, as they will be recognized by what they wield and what they wear. As in a real world scenario, this make each race distinct by their own creations. They are not all using the same gears.

As the project grew-up and I started to release the first modules, that are in fact previews of what it's going to be, people started asking me to balance my blades to be used along more popular mods such as OOO. Not very much into the programing stuff myself, I have now the chance to get help of some great people to help me port what I did so it can be used within a MOBS based environment.

So now you are here in the place we exchange and talk about where the mod is going. Several more ideas came out, or will come out. I suggest you visit the team threads to read more about it.

My plan is to release each of theses modules:

- 1-10 'Race' modules (100 blades, 300 different models.)

- 11th Legendary Swords - remake of several legendary weapons of Tamriel, and some more, like the Atlantean and Father swords. (+/- 12 items)

- TCOS - The sum of RealSwords races modules, with a quest, and a detailed history of the race weaponry and their makers: The Chronicles Of Steel. Will features special versions of the items, and bonus items. And also a special FX that will make the weapons change forms according to their level of wear.

Thast it! :)

References:

When I started looking for references for this considerably big project, I was looking for models that could translate fantasy into realism, for historical reference and above all for simple beauty. No overdone bigger than life made-for-a-king weapons, but clean ones that look like everyday blades produced for regular folks in a fantasy world.

Thus one name has always been on top of any other: Jody Samson.
His work is THE reference I use for most part of this project. More than 60% of the swords in RealSwords are his designs, sometimes I modify them slightly or change the metal type, but I'm staying very close to what he did. I strongly suggest you visit his website and look at the many marvelous swords this artist did over his career. http://www.jodysamson.com/

Albion Armorer is a famous forge that does an awesome work of recreating historical blades in the finest possible way. Most of my blades, particularly those that are in Nord and Breton, are from their work and research. http://www.albion-swords.com/

Some references I use can't be traced at all to anyone as the weapons are older than anyone alive, as is the case for the African references I found.

Sadly, some references I found and I forgot to note who they were from, like in the case of the katanas blades photos I used. Some also are found as is, with no mention of the maker. Some like in the case of the DragonClaw in Orc, I found the real smith name only much after I released the blades models online.

Yet I try to be very precise and faithful to the ideas I borrow, and I will not pass it as my own ideas if they aren't.

Some swords are amalgam of different designs. And some are from comic books I cherish since I was a kid.

And lastly, some swords are completely from my imagination....

For more details about what and from whom, refer to the read me in each module for a list of the references I used.
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

Looking forward to it :)
"Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos"

"why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
Arubeiriku
# 13

13th registered user :P Lucky number 13

Anyway, this mod is going to be number 1 when it will be completely finished... On second thoughts, it already is :D lol... Love your work waalx, looking forward to more :)
Waalx
Forum Master

Arubeiriku wrote:13th registered user :P Lucky number 13

Anyway, this mod is going to be number 1 when it will be completely finished... On second thoughts, it already is :D lol... Love your work waalx, looking forward to more :)
Merci bien! Arubeiriku :)

It's INSANELY early to start mentioning it, I suppose. But I was thinking that when the time comes for faction weapons, the necromancers need skull maces. Not just human skulls either. A goblin skull for their iron weapon, and a big ol' Dremora skull for their Daedric armaments. A human skull mace seems like it would be equal to dwarvern or steel weapons; they're easy to get, and it wouldn't be a real suprise.
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

Why would necromancers need skullmaces? How are skulls efficient as a weapon... I agree they could use more skull, death, pain like decoration on their weapons but that's all extra work and how the current plans are I'm already delighted :D

co-leader TES4 Valenwood

Congrats on the Redguards module, will check them out soon :)
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

That post above is mine, didn't notice I wasn't logged in.

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
Nimrod
Fumbling Sworduser

I want to congratulate you for your work, it's for me an excellent idea. Your mods is for me one of the best mods for ES IV.
I follow your progression with a big interest.
Good luck.
Waalx
Forum Master

thanks for your comment Nimrod and welcome to the Workshop!
Domriso
Fumbling Sworduser

Yes! I love these mods. One of the few reasons I check for mods so often is so that I can see if a new Realsowrds mod has come out. To my delight, my favored race, the Breton, now has a pack! I'm going to have so much fun now.

Can't wait to see more! Keep up the good work!
Raven1337
Steady Sworduser

I'm new, just registered and got activated ^^

Let me just congratulate you on your incredible awesome work!
You sword mods are simply the best swords mods out there.

Sure, there might be 'cooler' fantasy weapons with extreme designs, but especially for the redguards, you swords feel real - Like they would be good swords in the real world as well :happy:

Good job, keep it coming!
By the way, I texture myself, but I'm busy leading a Medieval II : Total War mod If you ever really need someone for texturing though, ask away.
sageofcyrodiil
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

Just wanted to stop in and congratulate you on your work and works in progress--I've downloaded the Bosmer, Breton and Redguard Realswords and I have to say that I'm very, very impressed. I would have liked to have seen more axes and blunt items in the Orc's release, but that's just my personal feelings. :D

Anyway, lots of continued success and support from the Sage. He is most pleased.

Oh, just a question: How's the Arena/Imperial sets coming? I'm chomping at the bits to get my hands on an Imperial Gladius. :-D-)
Greywynd
Fumbling Sworduser

Can I just say - WONDERFUL!

I'm going to give this a try with DukePatricks SCA Combat mods. Finally swords and knives that I wouldn't be embarrassed to Carry.

My own little joy

http://pics.livejournal.com/4x5photo/pic/0000gx0y.jpg

Any chance you'll be doing scabbards?
Waalx
Forum Master

Greywynd wrote: Any chance you'll be doing scabbards?
nice blade...

What do you mean by the scabbards question? Except from a few, all the blades I do have a scabbard already..
e39042
Steady Sworduser

Speaking of fantasy weapons (and armour) that look like they could actually exist, I think Diablo II could be a potential source of inspiration.

You can see a full list of the items here:
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/ ... tml#normal
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/uniques.shtml

Some of the unique items in particular look very nice:
ImageImageImageImage
Very much fantasy, but not too ridiculous at all.

Hi Waalx,

Have you completed your work on the Real Sword North? and if so are you planning a release soon?

Needless to say, your FANTASTIC real sword work drove me to this site in the first place...In short this is where awesomeness starts...
MicroHunter
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

I agree with e39042 !!!
ChalkLine
Fumbling Sworduser

Waalx wrote:Realswords - 13th Axes, bows & maces - what more to say? (30 items)

- 15th RealArmors - Differents armors designed/retextured for each races, and will also include Color Legion, a module that change the appearance of the Legion armors ranking the officers and the army by colors.
Hi, new here.

I have to say that I'm keenly looking forward to the above mentioned modules, and already use all your LO Race weapons.

While many people say that the weapons are over-powerful, I find they add a fillip of pleasurable anxiety to the game when you note that the average Khajit bandit who's just sprung from the bushes has a RealSword, and you've got no idea if it can knock you clean to Oblivion. Considering that it is very easy to get the Honor Blade of Chorrol almost immediately, along with Rockshatter, most of the weapons are not overpowered. Indeed, my favourite weapon de jure is the Solingen Steel, and it's statistics are similar to the Honor Blade.

While I currently use the Knightly Armory Poll Axe, I'm looking forward to poll hammers and single handed war picks that I hope will make an appearance in module 13. The warhammers in Vanilla Oblivion make me cringe. Also, I hope that 15th century harnesses, similar to the brilliant Ghogiel Sallet, get a showing in module 15. Brigandines, proper 27 layer padded jacks (similar to the ordnannce jacks mentioned in the 15th century that some men-at-arms wore in preference to breastplates) and more attractive maille shirts would be wonderful. Helms such as the lowered, slit sight chapel-de-fer, a good kettle hat or two, a bevor (possible as an amulet?) and archer's skulls would be fantastic as well. As far as I know, no-one's tried a lobster tail sallet or open face salade as yet.

I'm at university training to be a mediaeval historian, so any help that I can provide would be a labour of love. I also make hobby armours, but judging from your work so far you have little need for authenticity input.

Kudos on the great work.
"In Saint George's name, here begins the art of fighting . . . "
- Sigmund Ringeck, 15th century Master-at-Arms
Geaon
Fumbling Sworduser

I'm new to Oblivion, and its appears as though i got a very late start.
But using your mods i've realised they're the best mods anywhere
and the game seems empty and tasteless without them.
Eagerly anticipating Chronicles Of Steel and WAC, or is one included in the other?
Either way i hope very much that you finish them soon.