Swords with weird reflections underground.

Folks, post your comments, suggestions and ideas in here!
Sethsryt
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

Hi,

first of all, I compliment you on your work Waalx.
It looks great.

Though the newest releases, like the Breton swords and maces seem to have an odd reflection underground.
Mostly in caverns, sewers and all those dark places. Yet not in the main game world.
It seems that the blades "glow" in the dark, even when there is no real light source.
I would not have made a problem of this when realswords was "just a mod".

I really want to use my Necro steel sword underground, and I would like to use a gold or silver stiletto too. But that glow on it. Older releases like the Argonian or Khajiit blades don't seem to have this problem. They look lovely underground.

Seems it has to do with windows reflections, and I have seen it with more mods. Even bethesda's vanilla Glass armor seems to have this thing. Yet I don't see a problem in the glass armor, since it is rather exotic and the glass might be meant to have a glow effect in the dark.. Maybe it is just my graphic card which bug.
My graphic card is a radeon x1600, might be a problem with that? The driver is of "Ati"?

Anyway, some screenshots might help.
So here they are:

The normal reflection, beautiful and I think it should look this way.

The Steel Necro sword. It "glows" in the dark.

The Golden Stiletto, it glows and becomes gray..

Close up view on the golden stiletto.

Another view on the Steel Necro sword.

Hopefully you can help,
Good luck on your mods, I am really looking forward to the release of the Goblin weapons.
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

I don't recall these problems but I haven't played OB in months. You got windows reflections turned on right? And glass does not glow :P
"Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos"

"why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
Sethsryt
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

I do not wear glass regular so I don't know for sure, but I recall it "glowing" but I might be wrong.

Yes window reflection is on, I have tried to turn it off. It made the swords very reflective.
But when I turn it on, the swords glow, while off they do not glow.
Maybe it is a error in my settings or video card.

I have set the video options on antialiasing x6, bloom. And I have turned on V. Sync whatever that may be.
Mormacil wrote:I don't recall these problems but I haven't played OB in months. You got windows reflections turned on right? And glass does not glow :P
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

Disable V.Sync, it's on option that's made to give a more steady FPS but generally decreases FPS. Pretty much only usefull in games more then 5 years older then your rig.
"Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos"

"why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
Waalx
Forum Master
Born in: 1973

it's all because of the shader I tried for Breton...

the bretons weapons are using an experimental method. and the downside is that. if it's daylight in the exterior world, the reflections on the blades are daylight. they do not glow, they are just reflecting the day outside. if it's nighttime, the inside reflections work correct

to chnage this you can edit the blades in nifscope, in texturing property/apply mode, change Apply Highlight to apply modulate in the drop down menu. overwrite the existing files, and they should appear like in the previous modules.
Sethsryt
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder

Yes, it seems to work.
Though it loses some of the reflection it had first.
Most noticeable with the Steel Necro sword, it misses the sharp and a bit worn look of the previous modules,
but I can live with that. I will post images later on, first I need to do some "homework" and find a more suitable spot to test them out.

Why did you use this kind of reflection though? The reflection of the previous modules was perfect.

@Mormacil: Wow yes, V sync really seems to make it faster a bit. Though sometimes it slows a bit with many enemies. But that would happen otherwise too I guess.

Thank you both for your help. :)