Thoughts...

Folks, post your comments, suggestions and ideas in here!
Baelin

Hello Waalx (Et Al)

The reason for this post is simply to extend a few thoughts on your "realswords" project. While I've no doubt that you're fully capable of producing a unique and varied selection of weapons for every race, I thought I'd offer a few ideas you may consider.

I've been a fan of bladed weapons since I was a child. I use to check out books from the local library on various weaponry and unique smithing throughout time. One might think that there are only a few ways to make bladed weapons, but the list is very extensive. As such, I'd like to throw a few of my own ideas out there for you to consider.

1. Blades are not essentially made of metal. The mayans used obsidian (for example). I think other materials would be welcomed. Glass already exists in the game and you've already incorporated wood (Orc collection), but how about bone, stone, or ethereal (a blade formed of magical essence)? How about inserts in the blades (bones, inlade gems (if done sparingly and not overblown)?

2. Oblivion already uses staves but only for casting purposes. The Mehrune's Razor add-on added use of the hoe and rake weapons opening the path for halberds, polearms, and other staffed weapons. I think bladed staves (single, duel ended, etc.) would be welcome.

3. Typically, bladed weapons are mostly two dimensional, having length and width, but mostly flat. However, there have been many uses (throughout history) of triple bladed (or more) weapons. By this, I mean that if you stared down the blade of one of these daggers pointed straight at you, you saw three blades extend from a central core in a triangle pattern (or a cross on a quad bladed variation). The reason for this design was to counter the fact that an ordinary flat bladed weapon leaves a slit wound when removed which closes up easily and reduces bleeding. A tri-bladed weapon (such as a Tibetan Phurba - http://boniface.us/wicca/altar/phurba.html) leaves a wound that won't close up easily.

4. You've made weapons that show battle damage, which adds to the authentic feel of them. The "broken blade" aspect is very nice and makes the blades all the more fierce. However, a few "ceremonial" or "polished" weapons may be desired.

5. I could offer racial suggestions such as wood and gold materials for Wood Elf and High Elf weapons, or stick with mostly daggers for Bretons (magic users), or bone weapons for our feline friends, or... ...well you get the idea. However, I think you are already doing a great job dividing up the races.

Either way, I look forward to your future offerings. Great job!!!

Cool Links:
http://www.agrussell.com/knife_informat ... index.html
Waalx
Forum Master
Born in: 1973

1 - Oblivion isn't in the stone age, and no races is still in it either. the only reason I did the wood swords, is for history in the orcs. If not taken this way it doesn't fit in.
the ivory dagger is a magical enhancer, as is the silex dagger for the Altmer.

half of the Bosmer is made of bones.

I am a sword enthusiast myself, and I do a great work of research for my references.

I prefer steel, sometimes will have an idea to make something else. but mostly always steel, or similar alloy.

2 - I'm doing swords now. Swords. the rest will come after.

3 - could work for one type of dagger. yet the race I could have put that kind of dagger in are all finished.

4- Read on this forum to understand what is going on with this and why. I'm not going to add another texture to each 100+ weapons.

5 - Bosmer don't use wood, they cant craft their items from wood, it's in a contract they signed called the Green Pact..

and for the othe races, you are suggesting I start over or what? Because mostly all you suggest is already done and sorry but, it won't change