A Separate Skyrim Forum Section- Any Interest?

Folks, post your comments, suggestions and ideas in here!
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Since the forum will be staying open so I was thinking it might be nice to create a small separate forum area for Skyrim if anyone would be interested and would use it.

Members could add their screen shots, stories, mods they might be working on and/or releasing, general discussion, spoilers and game help where possible. I realize there are other bigger forums with plenty of content but we have regular members who might like to stay with a smaller forum, speaking for myself at least...or of course use the other forums as well. :)

It would also be a place to talk about mods that would suit the game world as it is (ie realism mods) and even in the WAC style if anyone wanted somewhere to discuss or show their work.

To answer a few questions about porting WAC content to Skyrim...not possible as most, if not all meshes, especially creatures are edited vanilla Oblivion ones and they can't be ported to another game, even a Bethesda one for legal reasons. Also, as you would know if you've read the WAC specific forum thread re the future of WAC, Alex won't be modding Skyrim, at least for the foreseeable future.

Please comment if you think it's worthwhile and I'll do it when I read up on the details. :) Otherwise things will stay as they are.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Personaly i would not mind at all if there was a Separate Skyrim Forum. It would be a place where people can discuss the game in a polite and sensible manner. I see so many threads on the Beth forums with people whining about so many things, and often(not always.) in a pretty rude manner. (Meaning that i see quit a lot of censored words. )

BUT...i would be a bit concerned as to how busy the Skyrim forum would become here, considering how busy the Beth Skyrim forums are. Still i would visit the Skyrim forum here as well. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Yes, well it was just a thought and I foresaw the lack of response, but thanks Fessels for your reply anyway. :) I'll think about it a bit more before bothering and wasting time and forum space.

I agree with the Official Skyrim forums (and others) where a great majority of posters tend to nitpick about the silliest things and in some cases it's almost like they find fault just to have something to complain about. The latest I read this morning is a complaint about the lack of custom icons for houses, shops and inns on the map.

Sure the game needs some tweaks, but IMHO it's far and away the best game I've ever played (for it's genre) and the best TES game....and that's saying something.

Anyway, no more of that here otherwise I'll be writing an essay about the game and it's virtues...and a few fairly minor annoyances I have and this thread wasn't meant for that. My impressions are all on my blog anyway.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

I am for it good job Maigret.

And here is my first screenshots to share...Let's wake this board up!!!

My Mage character on his Horse

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

View of Whiterun

un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Wikinger
Avid Swordlearner
Avid Swordlearner

Maigrets
Since the forum will be staying open so I was thinking it might be nice to create a small separate forum area for Skyrim if anyone would be interested and would use it.
I would be in. And if Waalx want to do something like WAC for Skyrim, i would be in. There arent even boars in Skyrim. But i bet one of the DLCs would be something about Hircine.
But hey, i would be happy to see something like WAC for Skyrim and would also donate some money for waalx. I would also help him with basic things as textures and nifscope stuff.
And because Skyrim looks more... dirty-fantasy-medieval-style-for-adult-people than Oblivion, it would be cool to make some WitcherII like medieval armors. Maybee as breton stuff.

MasterAub
Well thanks, Imageshack is filled with viruses and i don't know how often i told people to use the freaking thumbnails.
,___,
[O.O] Put this owl on your profile
/)__) If you've seen the Cremation of Care
-"--"- Ritual at Bohemian Grove
Maigrets
Admin

I agree with everything you said about Skyrim except Waalx won't be modding for it, at least in the foreseeable future. See the thread at the top of the forum about the future of WAC and what Alex is doing.

This idea may or may not go ahead anyway. I personally don't play Oblivion anymore and it's probably unfair to start a Skyrim section if it's going to overtake the main reason for this forum which is WAC and RealSwords. This thread can be used in the meantime for discussion while it's decided whether it's worth bothering with a separate Skyrim area.

Besides, until they fix the multitude of bugs and glitches and most importantly the freezes and exits to desktop in Skyrim I'm not playing the game. I've had too many random freezes ( among other things like non working activators and more) and hard resets get annoying especially within ten minutes of each other last night. Not to mention the stress on the system.

It's not just me and a few complainers....See this list. A lot of it is fairly minor but the majority, including the freezing, quest bugs, graphic weirdness, AI issues and much more need to be addressed ASAP.
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/t ... -thread-3/

I skimmed most of it, but I did note most of the serious problems. The game is light years ahead of Oblivion but it needs a huge injection of fixes. The worst thing Bethesda could have done was set a definite release date. It should have been "When it's done" and allowed themselves time to polish everything.

I usually don't go in for the general complainer type of stance, but this time I agree with a lot of what's been said on other forums. It's not just a small section, it's affecting a lot of people.

The 1.2 PC patch is due out tonight (3oth) and I do hope they worked on more than a few so called rare bugs and changing the exit menus key to ESC. Why can't that be the same key as the one that opened it like every other bloody game that's not a console port.
http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/ ... -2-update/
Well thanks, Imageshack is filled with viruses and i don't know how often i told people to use the freaking thumbnails.
Rubbish. :( So why do I not get viruses when I view images from here and other forums using Imageshack. And what difference does thumbnails make if they come from the same site. I was the one who said full size images are OK so blame me.

That was also because hardly anyone is posting images so if you prefer thumbs because of internet connection that's a different matter and can easily be requested. Just don't be rude about it as that often has the opposite effect as far as I'm concerned. :-?

If you're so worried about viruses and or malware use an ad blocker and script blocker. I don't know which browser you use but Firefox has both available as plugins and they work perfectly alongside other programs like Spybot and AVG Free.
Maigrets
Admin

Well I thought it might be a good idea at first to have a small Skyrim section but as I read more and more, and because I can't play the damn game because of freezes and the borked 1.2 patch, I can't see the point in doing it any longer. At least not until the game is patched properly for everyone and the most severe problems are fixed.

Everything that needs to said or read is on the Official, Nexus or other forums.

BTW there's supposed to be another hotfix to "fix" the last patch next week. More interesting is that the Creation Kit won't be released until some time in January because it's being tied to Steamworks, meaning you will have to have Steam running to use it.

More concerning are the discussions surrounding paid for mods. I'm not going to go into it all here, but if anyone trusts big corporations whose only interest is money this is the way it's going. Who knows whether Bethesda's actual development team agree with this. It's the money men who talk these days after all and law suits would scare anyone off talking out of school.

See the ambiguous round about reply in this thread from GStaff (Bethesda's PR rep) which doesn't rule out paid for mods. Further on in the thread DarkOne, who should and does know what's happening in the gaming industry, posted the Steamworks EULA for perusal. Interesting read, or at least I thought so. Makes me wonder where PC gaming is going and it's not looking rosy.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/work ... lagreement
http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php ... -workshop/

Two months delay to release the CK when many modders could have worked on the bugs over the holidays seems a little suspicious to me, but then I'm a pessimist a lot of the time. Because of that I often find I can be pleasantly surprised (or not) and not disappointed because my hopes were dashed.

I haven't read the Official forums responses yet but I'm going there next. I expect to find more scathing reactions than on the Nexus.
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

Hi Maigret,
No problem for the Skyrim post...whenever the game is playable, let's have a dedicated post for it...
Well it's playable on my machine...eventhough there are still a lot of bugs to be fixed.

Maybe we could create a Skyrim/WAC group on steam....I am hardly in any group but most of posters here are pretty cool so I would not mind.

Anyway I will be modding Skyrim (for its shear beauty) at least for one Mod...I already have ma story both in French and in English...I am starting on writting the dialog so when the Skyrim TESC comes out in January I have everything prepared.

I wish you and all the posters here a mery Christmas (in case I don't post before).

Thanks again for taking care of the board.
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été