Question related to modding.

Folks, post your comments, suggestions and ideas in here!
Malanthor
Fumbling Sworduser

Hallo. I was browsing the net for fantasy pictures that could give me ideas when i came across this -and similiar sites. http://www.poserdirect.com/images/produ ... er_4_l.jpg
Is it possibly to put this obj.file into oblivion and how hard would such a process be?
My modding career have so far been restricted to using other people's models, easy scripting and such and i have no clue abouth models, nifscope, 3ds and all those things.
Hope anyone can enlighten me because i came across a few models on various sites that would be interesting to build something with. :)
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Well, for one thing Poser and other similar models like Renderosity etc, are commercial products so unless you purchase the ones you want, or are using legitimate free models (not pirated ones obviously) you can only convert them for personal use. They can never be released as a mod without credit and proof of purchase or at least not on the mainstream sites.

In fact it says at the bottom of the image you provided which programs you'll need and that this model is a commercial product. Other than that, Blender is a free program for Oblivion modeling use and does export .obj files and tutorials are also easily found. I found that info in 3 seconds on Google.

I'm not accusing you of anything, especially if you have purchased the model but just to let people know, no support will be given here for the use of illegally obtained software whether it's models or commercial programs to use them. If you need help with something like this it would be advisable to not mention the source of the files, particularly if they are illegally obtained.

This is for the protection of this forum which I realize has few rules atm, but common sense should tell anyone that piracy discussion is a no-no on most forums including this one.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Malanthor
Fumbling Sworduser

The link was just an example, i liked the model so thought abouth purchasing it for my own use. Have found other models that were not commercial and so could be used for public mods aswell, the example was just that, an example. I dont understand how you can take what i wrote and connect it to piracy and using materials in non legal ways. I am fully aware of these things. i Just wanted to know if taking this object and others like it and getting it as a working mesh in TES construction set without too much hassle was viable for one who know very little abouth these things. Maybe i didnt phrase my question as well as i should. Anyway, thank you for your time.
Maigrets
Admin

I did say I wasn't accusing you of anything and I was pointing out for others, and yourself if you weren't aware, that they are commercial products.

I'm not a mind reader so I'm making sure you and others are aware of these issues. There are people who make a habit of asking about converting copyright and pirated products on various forums so I was making a point. There are also clueless people who ask about pirated versions of games on the game's Official and other popular forums. Once again I am not saying this is you. Read what I said again.

Anyway, Blender would probably be the program you need, but I've read it's not as user friendly as some of the others. I haven't used it so I can't say one way or the other.
You could start with the links here which also mention other programs you would need, tutorials, and download links:
http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/in ... l:Modeling
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Malanthor
Fumbling Sworduser

Yes, you did say that. It wasnt exactly what you said more what was implied by you saying the things you did. You know how it goes "i am not accusing you of anything BUT..." In any case i am over my initial defensive response which might have been a tad to offensive. Thanks for the new info, it is appreciated.
Maigrets
Admin

Another thing to consider is you made this topic two days after you joined and it was your first post here. Quite often something like that would be flagged as spam since it has nothing to do with the mods this site represents, which are Waalx Animals and Creatures and RealSwords.

No-one is saying you have to use either of these mods, but on their specific forum you could at least acknowledge the fact since you came here to ask a question about modeling, whereas you could have easily found the answer yourself by searching.

Since you said it was a modding question, and there are no spam links I didn't immediately deactivate the account. Read into it what you like, but the amount of spam threads and posts, and some (almost) disguised as genuine questions, often leads to a quick and permanent response. Many spammers also make their accounts weeks before they start posting and since they are human and pass the checks for bots, there is only one way to deal with them.

Ironically, this is a small forum and you may not get the help you're looking for because no-one here has the expertise or isn't around at the time to answer, and unfortunately on a large forum it could easily be overlooked with the same result. You are of course welcome to ask, but if you don't get help that would be why. And because many are probably busy playing Skyrim.

I am just clarifying a few more things for you. It's up to you if you take offense. thanks