Realswords progress?

Folks, post your comments, suggestions and ideas in here!
argochris
Unsteady Sworduser

How's the new stuff coming? Can't wait to use them :)
Waalx
Forum Master
Born in: 1973

you can't wait and yet you don't know about all of it yet:)

Bosmer is going to be my best module so far...

should be out this week

p.s. it's going to be AFTER I finish reading the last Harry Potter book I just bought today! :P

take this as an appetizer... :) 12 new arrows (all different models and textures), 7 new bows (5 different models, 7 different textures) 11 blades (that you can't see here but from afar in the green display)

StarX
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand

Finally a real archershop for them litlle woodhoppers to go to!
Waalx
Forum Master

old images already for me as some have chnaged in the arrows...note the arrows here where color coded on a rank scaling system. but the textures for the arrows are 512x512 and it look like shit in-game (the colors codes on the shafts). Now they are plain with no codes..I reserve the code system for another use though...hehe

and 3 bows

Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

So pretty ^_^
Awesome work Waalx :)
"Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos"

"why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
Waalx
Forum Master

mormacil (or anyone who know?), can you tell me if Vallenwood was created before the green pact that keep bosmer from cutting wood on their own?

the Classic Bow here is meant to be named the Vallenwood Classic. (it's actually my favorite between this one and the springsteel Bell Leather that you can barely see in the paradox pic.)

I made Baenlin a wood carver. I have been told that Bosmer can use wood if they buy it, so all his bows that are made of wood are from sacred wood or imported wood he buy specifically for this. In my take of it, Bosmer are the best bow makers in Tamriel, and they still make wood ones as they are easier to do than bones and steel ones , although more expensive in material.
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

Bosmer indeed adore woodcrafted items. Bosmerwarriors wear cartwheels as impressive helmets... Anyway I got no clue when the Bosmer started to obey the GreenPact but I think it's as old as when they changed from the Khajiit.

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
Forgotten
Initiated Swordwielder
Initiated Swordwielder

Looking great! :shock: :)
mormacil (or anyone who know?), can you tell me if Vallenwood was created before the green pact that keep bosmer from cutting wood on their own?
Well, the latest (3rd) edition of the Pocket Guide to the Empire (i.e. the official booklet that comes with the collectors edition of Oblivion) has this to say about Valenwood:
The history of Valenwood stretches back to the very beginning of
recorded time: the date traditionally used as the start of the First Era
is the founding of the Camoran Dynasty by King Eplear of Valenwood.

As the Aldmer began to change their ways to match their new environment,
adapting to the forest in body and mind, they became
known as the Bosmer. In return for the patronage of Y'ffre, the Forest
God (either one of the old ancestor spirits or an aspect of the true
pantheon), they swore never to kill, injure, or eat any of the vegetation
of the new home.

So basically, as the elves of Valenwood finally began to divert from their
racial Aldmeri ancestors and became Bosmer, they came under the
patronage of Y'ffre, their chief pantheon, and the meat mandate was born.

Furthermore, the Imperial Library has this to say about the meat mandate
(excerpt from Bethesda's 1st edition of the Pocket Guide to the Empire):
"They are exclusively and religiously carnivorous. They cannot, or will
not, eat anything that is plant-based. They eat game, beastfolk, each
other, or meats imported from other regions. This part of the Green Pact
is known as the Meat Mandate, and, among its other rules, it requires
that a fallen enemy must be eaten completely before three days pass.
The family members of the warrior that slew the enemy may help him
with his meal. Needless to say, the Wood Elves do not like to engage in
large battles if they have not undergone a suitable starvation period.

"Though they are excellent archers, the Green Pact forces their bowyers
and fletchers to use bone or similar materials, or to buy bows and arrows
from other cultures. The use of woodcrafts created by another race is not
forbidden, nor is the sale of their own Valenwood timber as long as it is
collected by a non-Bosmeri. "
Hope that gives you a little background on the Bosmer. ;)

There's quite a bit more to read here on the Imperial Library:

http://til.gamingsource.net/pge3/valenwood.shtml

Cheers, UQF
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

Nicely said, but not forget that they also became Bosmer because they started to mix with other races... Bosmer men appear to ebe quite fond of women of other races and Bosmer women prefer Orcs and Nords...

co-leader TES4 Valenwood
Vocha
Chronicler

Where they came from or how they were created does not really matter to what we are discussing now, and the early pocket guides cannot really be trusted, but that is beside the point.

I believe UESPWiki sums it up nicely in this sentence, and it is adequate to the point :)

"They are also religiously carnivorous and cannibalistic, but do not destroy trees or plant life, though they are not averse to using wooden or plant-derived products created by others."
Forgotten
Initiated Swordwielder
Initiated Swordwielder

Vocha wrote:Where they came from or how they were created does not really matter to what we are discussing now, and the early pocket guides cannot really be trusted, but that is beside the point.

I believe UESPWiki sums it up nicely in this sentence, and it is adequate to the point :)

"They are also religiously carnivorous and cannibalistic, but do not destroy trees or plant life, though they are not averse to using wooden or plant-derived products created by others."
...which is already mentioned in the first edition of the Pocket Guide to the Empire, which formed the framework of modern (= Elder Scrolls 3 and beyond) ES lore. It doesn't really differ very much to, or conflict that much with, the latest (3rd) edition that came with the collector's edition of Oblivion, which merely fleshes out the basic framework already laid. ;)

The link I posted in my previous post is actually to the Valenwood section of the latest (3rd, or Oblivion) edition of the PGE, posted on the Imperial Library, and that section should definitely be considered lore canon.

But I apologise. It was never my intention to turn this into an Elder Scrolls lore debate. :oops:

Aaaanyway...

My main point with the prior post is that the "meat mandate" is very old, almost as old as the bosmeri people itself, and is the foundation of their entire culture, value system and religion. It appears that they do, as was mentioned in the 1st edition PGE, tolerate the use of wooden products made by other races. But they absolutely will not, as far as official Beth lore is concerned, use any wooden materials stemming from Valenwood itself in their crafting. It is ok to sell the Valenwood wood to foreigners however, provided that non-bosmeri have collected it.

Speaking of bosmer, for an entertaining read for anyone who might be interested, and for an insight into Valenwood, its culture and its customs, I suggest a thorough reading of A Dance in Fire. (If you haven't read it already.)

http://til.gamingsource.net/mwbooks/danceinfire.shtml

It is in my opinion one of the best book series in the game. 8-)

Finally, I just have to say that both the bows and the bosmer blades (I love the addition of bone materials to some of the swords in particular) look great and I'm looking forward to adding them into my game. 8-)

Cheers, UQF
Mormacil
Exquisite Fencer
Exquisite Fencer

I read that as leader of TES4 Valenwood :P But it is indeed a good read and mind that Bosmer will craft wood from outside VW ;)

co-leader TES4 Valenwood