Recommended Mods

Post mods you have found and recommend, are working on or have released. Also get mod help here.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

I'm only using a few mods at the moment but I highly recommend this one. It's saved me from all out NPC rage. There are several esps depending on preference so I'm using the Reduced version. No more do I hear Belathor's assistant tell me he works in the store when he's in the damn store, or anywhere else for that matter, unless of course I get very close to him.

It also removes that very annoying problem of trying to listen to a quest giver (even with subtitles) where every NPC feels the need to butt in and tell you about their day, especially in taverns or where a lot of NPC's congregate.

NoNPC Greetings.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=746

Wyre Bash of course goes without saying and I also use a heap of texture packs. When I've played more through the vanilla game I'll start adding more as time goes on and I imagine my game will end up like Oblivion with over 200 mods running. I do have a few tweaks like Quieter Dogs and Skyrim Unlimited Rings and Amulets. This mod, even though it can be used as a cheat just lets me use two rings since the default is only one so I restrict myself to just the two. I don't feel like it's a cheat that way and even oblivion let you have a ring on each hand by default.

There are a couple of versions of Unlimited Rings and Amulets, but one of them has a few bugs where this one works properly, even for self created enchanted items.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6703#

Will add more later. :)
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

I think i know which Unlimited rings mod you mean. I was using that one until Wrye bash 295.5 noticed a problem with it. I did not know yet about glock9mm mod, but i will try it out because i miss being able to wear more rings at the moment.

As for the No NPC Greetings mod, thank you very...very much. :happy:

That kind of behavior from NPC was really starting to annoy the hell out of me.

========================================================================

These are some that i like:

Auto Perk Stats Level mod

Races and Doomstones LO-REbalanced

War in Skyrim

Werewolf Tweaks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lockpicking Redone

Lockpick graduation by Lilyu

These two combined make Lockpicking a whole lot better in my opinion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Midas Magic - Spells in Skyrim

Phenderix Magic Evolved - 132 New Spells

Magi

Thief

Okay i use more mods and texture replacers, so i just picked a few to post here. :)
Maigrets
Admin

I've downloaded Deadly Dragons after watching a couple of Youtube videos showing the mod. Haven't installed it yet, but it definitely looks like it turns dragons into the feared beasts they are supposed to be and a lot of fun. It also adds other items for crafting including Spell Tomes, new loot and other things.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=3829

I was thinking about Wars in Skyrim as well, but for the moment I quite like being able to move around without having to fight every few minutes. I do like a good skirmish though as I loved FCOM for Oblivion. :ninja: From what I've seen (also on Youtube) I don't necessarily have to get involved in every altercation. Sometimes it's just cool to watch two factions annihilate each other. :twisted:

I might have to start a pure mage character now I've also downloaded a couple of the magic mods you listed Fessels. Loved Midas magic in Oblivion so it's a must try for Skyrim.

Imagine what will be coming after next week when the CK is finally here. :happy:
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote: I might have to start a pure mage character now I've also downloaded a couple of the magic mods you listed Fessels. Loved Midas magic in Oblivion so it's a must try for Skyrim.

Imagine what will be coming after next week when the CK is finally here. :happy:
Yeah Midas Magic has always been great, and Phenderix Magic Evolved is also really great. Also unless any one cheats they will not be able to buy all the spells from Phenderix mod at ones. Together with Magi to improve power and duration of Vanilla spells, makes playing a mage a whole darn lot better. Albeit still difficult at the moment on expert level, but that is okay. :)

Also the nice thing about Phenderix mod is that the spells give experience from use in battle and such, and i think that MIdas Magic still has spells that do not do that at the moment. But that did not stop me from installing it.

As for the CK, yeah i have a feeling that a lot of great mods will come ones it is out. :)
Maigrets
Admin

My main character is a rogue (archery, sneak, lockpick etc all maxed) but I started using some magic and I find many of the Destruction spells in particular are underpowered and useless. I couldn't find any benefit at all for the Cloak destruction spells and if using companions they get aggro because the spells are AOE. The spells barely have any effect on higher level enemies or even mid level Draugr. Laying down Runes is pointless because they do hardly any damage, except of course if you are the being damaged by an enemies Runes. :-( Then again I haven't used all of the perks so maybe that makes some difference.

I don't need my companions getting aggro with each other any more than there already do.. :) Marcurio uses AOE spells so he and Vigilance often fight between themselves. I just leave them to it and go on with what I'm doing or "wait" an hour for the hostilities to end. My Khajiit has Kharjo as a follower and he's a warrior, but he gets aggro with me at times if I accidentally hit him.

The friendly fire aspect is a bit crappy in this game. A good friend should not turn on you if you hit them by accident. Mercenaries for hire, yes probably, but not immediately either. I hope either Bethesda or a modder does something with companions...and horses, so companions can ride if nothing else.
Maigrets
Admin

A couple of mods I highly recommend are Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8601
and The Wilds:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=10886

Not over the top and very creepy in dungeons, especially when you know there are several Deathlords hanging around the next corner waiting the Shout you down. The Wilds also adds some nice ambience when wandering the wilderness with animal and bird sounds in the distance and more.

A couple of people mentioned CTD's with The Wilds but so far, and after having to reinstall the game and abandon my long term characters because of save corruption, I haven't had any issues at all with these mods or anything else. I have my fingers and toes crossed though and still cringe a bit when I save, but so far so good.

It's also highly recommended to manually install these mods, and I do it for every mod I use anyway. I think auto-installing via managers is overrated, especially in this game with it's over sensitivity to anything foreign.

Edit: Almost forgot Apachii's Skyrim Hair. There's something in there for all tastes and more are going to be added. Best hair mod so far, which isn't surprising considering her great work in Oblivion.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=10168
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote: Edit: Almost forgot Apachii's Skyrim Hair. There's something in there for all tastes and more are going to be added. Best hair mod so far, which isn't surprising considering her great work in Oblivion.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=10168
Thank you very much for that one, my Bosmer replacement for my Khajiit Thief/Assassin looks a lot better now. thanks
Maigrets
Admin

I've been waiting for something like this. It would have taken Bethesda no time to accomplish what must have been difficult for the author, not knowing the ins and outs of the game like the devs do. Anyway...

This is a mod that allows followers to ride horses with you. There are a couple of mods doing similar things and I tried this one tonight and it works perfectly. The other one probably does as well since they both have a lot of endorsements, but I found this one first.

Horses For Followers
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=11193

Not only does my companion mount when I do, but if I ride off and his horse if not even close to him, he will run to it and ride after me. He also jumps off if an enemy appears and remounts quite naturally when I do. I was so happy it worked and had no glitches whatsoever with mounting and dismounting over several hours after activating the mod.

Mind you, I've only tried it with one companion and there are some comments that say they can't get the mod working which may or may not be other mod conflicts. I don't see why other followers should have problems though since they all probably have very similar AI packages and scripts, except probably the House Carls.

One amusing thing is the mod makes followers horses cowardly so they run away a little bit instead of being all gung-ho, but my horse, like all vanilla ones thinks he's super horse on steroids, especially when there's a dragon around. It's "hunt for the horses time" after a big fight with one going after the enemy and the other running away. :grin:

Excellent mod that just adds to the game.
WizardOfAtlantis
Steady Sworduser
Born in: 1971

Maigrets wrote: I might have to start a pure mage character now I've also downloaded a couple of the magic mods you listed Fessels. Loved Midas magic in Oblivion so it's a must try for Skyrim.
You know, Maigrets, I would strongly suggest you try out Balanced Magic for your magic balancing needs.
skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=2275
Vanilla Skyrim magic is...bleah...as stiff as a wet noodle. Balanced Magic ups your combat magicka regeneration at varying degrees, and through the Perk system, gives you access to reduced costs, increased damage, altered effects, etc.

What it does, basically, is that it makes it possible to actually play a mage and kill someone with your destruction capabilities even at low levels. I couldn't imagine playing without it anymore!
Maigrets
Admin

WizardOfAtlantis wrote:
You know, Maigrets, I would strongly suggest you try out Balanced Magic for your magic balancing needs.
skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=2275
Vanilla Skyrim magic is...bleah...as stiff as a wet noodle. Balanced Magic ups your combat magicka regeneration at varying degrees, and through the Perk system, gives you access to reduced costs, increased damage, altered effects, etc.

What it does, basically, is that it makes it possible to actually play a mage and kill someone with your destruction capabilities even at low levels. I couldn't imagine playing without it anymore!
Sounds like the kind of mod I'd like more actually. The starting fireball spell wouldn't light a match, let alone set someone on fire. They nerfed most of the magic system, but in general the spells are OK, so I think I will give Balanced Magic a try. There are other mods I'd like to try out like Midas magic and Wars in Skyrim, but often they add things I don't want and I want to keep my game as lore friendly as possible....not to mention stable.

In Morrowind and Oblivion I always played as a mage, or a hybrid battlemage type, but I got a taste of the warrior life when I was playing Age of Conan Unchained last year, and I'm enjoying playing a pure warrior in Skyrim at the moment. Trouble is the perks are overpowered or are broken (ie blocking and enchanting) so at just level 40 (so far) I have little trouble with any enemy if I use some strategy. Plus, I have companions. I could up the difficulty, but that wouldn't fix the broken perks.
A pure warrior needs some kind of ranged attack for dragons as well so I've also put perks into archery.

I keep thinking about making a new character to replace my Khajiit sneak thief and making more use of Illusion to complement the other thief skills, as well creating a pure mage if I can stick to the build and not mix skills as I often end up doing.

I always start out using Alchemy, but then I thought "what's the point" when there are so many potions and poisons to be found around every corner. I have so many vanilla potions I have to sell many of them, get my companion to carry and use the ones he will use, or store them in my home. It makes the Alchemy school a bit useless really. I haven't actually looked for a mod that fixes it, but I'm sure there is at least one.

I'm going to be playing this game for the next ten years at the rate I'm going with just one character, let alone several, although this character isn't the actual first. Time to make a couple of new profiles.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Okay i have been a great fan of DefiniteIntegrals mod AutoPSL, ( Actually i still am. ) but unfortunately with the latest Skyrim patch it started to act up with strange behaviour for which there is as far as i know no solution at the moment. So i tried out another leveling mod, namely the one from aellis...

ASAP
Current features:

Option to set all skills to 1, 5, or leave at default when starting a new game.
Option to add addtional skill levels to Racial skill traits (vanilla settings) when starting a new game.
Option to install, remove, or reset ASAP without using the console.
Option to choose all skills, a Preset Character Class, or your own skills for ASAP to manage.
Option to add addtional skill levels to Class skills (not available when choosing to monitor all skills).
Option to reverse skill level adjustments on proper removal of ASAP.

Another blast from the past...finally some one made a mod that adds magic teleporters some what like we hat in Morrowind and Oblivion. :-)

Skyrim Teleport System

Really looks good ingame in my opinion. :)
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

This one is for those people who would like to try out Skyrim Monster Mod but think that creatures like the Triceratops do not belong in Skyrim. :)

Skyrim Monster Mod Lore-Friendlier Replacer
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:This one is for those people who would like to try out Skyrim Monster Mod but think that creatures like the Triceratops do not belong in Skyrim. :)

Skyrim Monster Mod Lore-Friendlier Replacer
Yes, I downloaded that and endorsed it as soon as it was uploaded...or almost. Now I will use the current version of Monster Mod.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

I guess that was the mod you mentioned in another thread then. :grin:
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Here is another mod i started using, and if any one wants creatures that only appear at sites connected with Dragons...then take a look at this one.

Draman Skeleton Mod

From last nights personal experience i can tell you that you will think a few times before attacking them again once you fought one. They are big...very though, and they use both weapons and shouts. ( Be prepared to run...if you can :grin: )
Maigrets
Admin

I found this when I was reading the Unofficial patch thread. Uncle Sheogorath. Very funny and well done.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12234#

It adds new messages to the loading screens, but I can usually only get to read one per screen because the game loads so quickly. Well worth it though and the author has a cool sense of humour.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

OMFG...this new mod looks so awesome for Magic characters, i will definitely install this one in the near future. :woot: :-)

The Video...can also be seen on the mods page.

And the Mod it self. :)

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18763
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Thanks to StarryEyedDreamer on the Beth Forums i found a mod that makes Breezehome Look really good and improves it a whole lot. :)

First...the mod link.

Berts Breezehome Remodel

And a few screenshots to show how it looks in my game. :)

Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

This is one of the new mods i started using with my character Corael. Has quit the potential i think. :)

Monster Wars

And this is another one.

More Dynamic Injuries
ramunc
Unsteady Sworduser

I don't know if you already know about the tweak that allows the player to equip all the weapons which have been added to the 'favorites' menu.The tweak is bDisableGearedUp=0 ,and it goes under the [General] line in skyrim.ini.
The good thing about it is that it works rather well, all the weapons are dispayed on the character once favorited, the 'bad' things are that if you change outfits or armours, the weapons show up if unselected in the menu, and if the player has a sword and an axe as favorites and tries to equip them both...the both show up in the players hand.I found that is best to hotkey the weapons once favorited, to ease the equip/unequip process.
For me the tweak is great because i couldn't be bothered to install armed to the teeth, or similar mods, which tend to be a hassle to install, at least for me, it does the job.
I found out about the tweak in the comments section of the Armed to the Teeth mod, on the Nexus, so...yeah.
Let me know if you try it out.