Skyrim Longevity Vs Past TES Games

A place to discuss anything related to The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim. No spoilers here please.
Maigrets
Admin
Born in: 1954

Unoffical Patch has been updated to work with the latest game patch.
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/138360 ... -thread-8/

I only just found the new thread so I haven't tried it in game yet, but here's hoping.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster
Born in: 1969

Maigrets wrote:Unoffical Patch has been updated to work with the latest game patch.
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/138360 ... -thread-8/

I only just found the new thread so I haven't tried it in game yet, but here's hoping.
Thanks for the heads up on this one. :)
Maigrets
Admin

Yes well, I don't know if it's the USKP or not but tonight I tried to play and got hard freezes twice after about a half hour or less each time.

Considering it's an emergency update as Arthmoor says, it may have some issues. Not blaming it specifically, but it's the only change I've made since I started from the beginning with a new character and played right up to level 7 a few days ago, (over five plus hours) and had no problems at all. Haven't played since then until tonight.

In the USKP thread no-one has mentioned any problems with the actual patch yet, but there is talk about other things BGS has done that are potentially serious, like messed up script errors for the Companions quest lines (among other things) mentioned in the 1.6 Beta thread which is now locked and hidden. They were not addressed either before the patch went final. Mods saved with the latest CK also have big issues it seems because of introduced bugs. This is from people who know what they are talking about like Arthmoor who is on the USKP team.

I might try it with the USKP disabled and see what happens. Then again I may wait until things get sorted because otherwise it's just going to annoy the hell out of me. I did manage to get the horse armour working when I discovered my horse was the only one without it. Just disabled and re-enabled it in the console to reset the models.

I'll go back to Risen 2 which I've been playing in the meantime. Very hard game like the Gothic games, but very enjoyable and with a ton of replay value with different builds. I'm trying to get the money to buy a monkey... lol and so I can train it to go into houses, and more importantly, some of the hard tombs and dungeons and steal stuff for me. Then I'll get a parrot which also does something useful but I don't know what yet. Every pirate needs a parrot. :cheese:

I'll make a topic about it and post some screenies in the Other Games thread later for anyone who is interested.
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it sayingEnd Of The World Switch PLEASE DO NOT TOUCHthe paint wouldn't even have time to dry. Terry Pratchett
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Good to know about the USKP update, i was about to install it. I will play it save and wait until they officially release the new USKP.

LoL poor monkey. :grin:
Maigrets
Admin

So, now you're not only reporting my posts but you're double posting.... :grin: :grin:

Anyway, I think I found out what the problem may be and it's not the game or the USKP. I just had a Youtube video freeze and also Risen 2, so I know it's something else now. I thought it was odd with Skyrim considering how well it was running before.

A few days ago I had an Adobe Flash update and I remember last year having all sorts of problems with Youtube and games freezing which turned out to be caused by Flash. I just looked up on Google and it seems this last update (11) is causing people a lot of grief.

Looks like another round of troubleshooting, uninstalling Flash and hoping it re-installs cleanly. Trouble with this is you can't revert to previous versions, if you can even find them, without losing the ability to view most web pages, video and play games because it causes system wide problems.

:Iobject:
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Maigrets wrote:So, now you're not only reporting my posts but you're double posting.... :grin: :grin:
Oh shucks...sorry. :-( :grin:
Maigrets wrote:Anyway, I think I found out what the problem may be and it's not the game or the USKP. I just had a Youtube video freeze and also Risen 2, so I know it's something else now. I thought it was odd with Skyrim considering how well it was running before.

A few days ago I had an Adobe Flash update and I remember last year having all sorts of problems with Youtube and games freezing which turned out to be caused by Flash. I just looked up on Google and it seems this last update (11) is causing people a lot of grief.

Looks like another round of troubleshooting, uninstalling Flash and hoping it re-installs cleanly. Trouble with this is you can't revert to previous versions, if you can even find them, without losing the ability to view most web pages, video and play games because it causes system wide problems.

:Iobject:
I am sorry to hear about your Adobe Flash problems, is that Flash Player 11.3.300.257 that causes it? ( I have not updated to that version yet. )

But this means i will take a chance and will install the USKP update.
MasterAub
The Second
Born in: 1970

I have the same problem with flash I am in the same time happy not to be alone...meaning it does not come from me and very upset with adobe putting out software that does not work...
un ami qui cesse de l'être ne la jamais été
Maigrets
Admin

I am sorry to hear about your Adobe Flash problems, is that Flash Player 11.3.300.257 that causes it? ( I have not updated to that version yet. )
That's the one. I found a link on the Adobe forums where you can download older stable versions so I'm going to do that. I should have downloaded it this morning when I was looking around their forums, but now they are down for maintenance so I have to wait until they are back. :( Edit: They have returned...lol

I know it's the latest update because I did notice in the last few days that even embedded videos on web pages have been slow to load and one locked my PC last night...ironically it was about this issue. ;-((
I have the same problem with flash I am in the same time happy not to be alone...meaning it does not come from me and very upset with adobe putting out software that does not work...
I agree along with all the people on Google (and other search engines I imagine) looking for solutions, but not only with the latest update. It's been going on for years. Just like most developers though Adobe deny there are issues and try to push the blame on users. It's not just a few people though. Nvidia is the same with their drivers.

It's a real pain not being able to watch Youtube videos or just loading a page with an embedded one in case it locks everything up. I only replaced my hard drive a few months ago and I don't want this one to fail from hard resets.

PS...this is the Adobe forum download page if you want to do the same MasterAub.

Downloads and how to revert to previous versions:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4487439

BTW...The USKP has updated again because Bethesda has fixed some of the issues with the CK. :shock: Arthmoor had a message from them to say they know about the dialogue skipping bug and are trying to fix it so that's still not included in the USKP.
Maigrets
Admin

I've gone right back to the Flash 10 complete version which a lot of users recommend and so far so good, at least with Youtube, but I didn't stay there long. Have yet to run a game, but I'll try that later. I notice my browser (Firefox) is loading much faster now than it has been as well.

I also downloaded the archives for Flash 11, so if I need it for anything I can install the older version before the newest update.

Another thing I really detest. Programs that leave files behind in the Windows system directory when you uninstall them.
At least Adobe tells you what to remove, but I have to wonder why their uninstaller doesn't actually do it in the 1st place. I always do a registry scan as well which still picked up entries that were not removed. ;-((
anohosikara
Vigilant Swordhand
Vigilant Swordhand

Trouble with Adobe Flash update? Joke :lol:

Even if a cat eats bait, I seem to do CTD.
Maigrets
Admin

Interesting that Bethesda hasn't fixed the massive dialogue bugs they introduced since the patch was released on the 11th and it's now the 28th of June. Thank goodness for the USKP.

I've been getting a lot of CTD's but in general it's very stable except for yesterday when I had crashes on saving which had me worried. I ended up having to delete several hours of progress and create new ini's to get back to normal. Something around the Markarth area messed up it seems, or one of the CTD's caused save corruption...again.
Maigrets
Admin

Duh! Someone put up a file on the Nexus called "Skyrim 4GB Patch for Cracked Version."

I've seen copyright music and other files but this takes the cake. Needless to say it's hidden and I assume a ban is imminent. They never learn and it's in big text so they can't miss the message about copyright files. :-?

:-( We need a "facepalm" emote. I looked into it but as far as I can see there's no way to add new emoticons. Easily... so I found an external link. Image
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
Maigrets
Admin

Fessels wrote:Yeah there will always be people who are so * begin sarcasm * brilliant * end sarcasm * that they do not see how stupid they actually are.
You should make that a signature. :P I think stupidity has replaced common sense in a large part of the general community.
Fessels
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

LoL :grin:
Maigrets
Admin

Just a random question....Has anyone actually found the treasure from the treasure maps you find without looking them up? I know where they are near Whiterun and Solitude, but that's about it.

I got the rings for the Daedric glove in the Midden the other night and spent hours looking for the treasure chest only to discover when I did finally consult Google that I was searching in entirely the wrong area...even after studying Velehk Sain's map for ages. :think:
MasterAub
The Second

I am in danger of re-installing Oblivion...am I getting bored of Skyrim? I think a little...
Maigrets
Admin

MasterAub wrote:I am in danger of re-installing Oblivion...am I getting bored of Skyrim? I think a little...
Heh, I still have Oblivion installed, but haven't even looked at it in a year and probably never will. I haven't uninstalled it yet because of nostalgia and because I never want to have to go through the process of installing and managing all the mods I have installed. I can't imagine playing it after Skyrim though.

I'm going to buy Dark Souls for PC which is released at the end of this month. It's is a huge open world rpg with no hand holding whatsoever and no loading screens, (but is also a console port), however if all I've read about it is true, (videos too) Skyrim will be put aside for a long time I think. I know I am getting bored with it which surprises me a little, but I'm not a role player in the strictest sense. I just play the game as it's laid out, do quests and dungeon crawl. Skyrim doesn't really inspire me any other way.
MasterAub
The Second

Maigrets wrote:I'm going to buy Dark Souls for PC which is released at the end of this month. It's is a huge open world rpg with no hand holding whatsoever and no loading screens.
Hey I am going to check that game as I am very interested in huge open world type of game...By the way same here, I am not a pure role player gamer eventhough I really enjoy experiencing the world & the lore of TES.
On to dark soul trailers & screenshots....hehehehe
Gork712
Disciplined Swordwielder
Disciplined Swordwielder
Born in: 1986

Dark souls is hilariously hard, ive been watching some videos of it and it looks so much fun but dying is inevitable at every area you go. :D
Enemies will even chase you into safe zones of you run away.